AI Takes On The Handicap System

There is a thread in this forum about how the system deals with incomplete rounds. I thought that I try out some 'consumer grade' AI (MS Edge CoPilot, ChatGPT 3.5, and Google Gemini) on the specific question 

how does the USGA Handicap System calculate a 18 hole score when you have only played 16 holes and have posted 16 holes (hole by hole) into the Ghin system

I haven't seen anything as entertaining come out of golf in a long time. First let me say that CoPilot pretty much got it right. Here are samples of not getting it right. 

From Gemini 
  • Even if you enter scores for all 18 holes, the USGA Handicap System will only consider the scores for the holes you actually played when calculating your handicap.

I have no idea how the system is to determine which of the holes that you actually played. And this whole section was pretty much incomprehensible with paragraphs like 

The USGA Handicap System does not allow you to post a score for handicap purposes if you have only played 16 holes.exclamation A minimum of 9 holes played over a course with a valid Course Rating and Slope Rating is required for an acceptable score.

From ChatGPT

Let's say you've played 16 holes, and you've entered scores for those 16 holes into the GHIN system. Your handicap is 18. Here's how it might be calculated:

• Par for the course is 72.
  • You've played 16 holes with a score of 90.

Since you've played more than 13 but less than 18 holes, the USGA Handicap System will add 1 stroke to your score for the remaining holes. In this case, you haven't played the last 2 holes, so:

90 (your score for 16 holes) + 2 (1 stroke per hole for the remaining 2 holes) = 92

So, your score for the round would be 92, which you can then use to adjust your handicap index.

Have you ever wanted to score a triple eagle (1 stroke better than an albatross)? Just skip a par 5.

From ChatGPT

No Holes Played: If you have not played any holes, the course rating and slope rating will be used to determine your score. ESC is also used here.

I didn't play yesterday. I need to log into Ghin, post it,  and see what I shot. 

dave

ps. ChatGPT is probably running off of pre-2024 handicap changes.

Edited by DaveLeeNC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

how does the USGA Handicap System calculate a 18 hole score when you have only played 16 holes and have posted 16 holes (hole by hole) into the Ghin system

The following is out of date in the USA and will be out of date for everyone come 1 April

Since you've played more than 13 but less than 18 holes, the USGA Handicap System will add 1 stroke to your score for the remaining holes. In this case, you haven't played the last 2 holes, so:

90 (your score for 16 holes) + 2 (1 stroke per hole for the remaining 2 holes) = 92

So, your score for the round would be 92, which you can then use to adjust your handicap index.

Edited by Newby

15 hours ago, ChaosTheory said:

The AI works by tracking which words typically come after other words.  That’s basically it.  So I wouldn’t expect precision on technical matters.

The generative AI stuff that I have encountered is much less useful (as I see it) than what the media would seem to imply (e.g., 'it will take over your job'). A few days before Google took down their image gen stuff on Gemini I asked it to generate an image of a golfer with 3 arms (for no particular reason). The best that I can say is that the average number of arms per golfer, if rounded to a whole number, was 3. 

dave

image.png.46984b45ba1cd2b6af7e86bc7a3e69d9.png

Edited by DaveLeeNC

On 2/25/2024 at 11:10 AM, DaveLeeNC said:

There is a thread in this forum about how the system deals with incomplete rounds. I thought that I try out some 'consumer grade' AI (MS Edge CoPilot, ChatGPT 3.5, and Google Gemini) on the specific question 

I haven't seen anything as entertaining come out of golf in a long time. First let me say that CoPilot pretty much got it right. Here are samples of not getting it right. 

From Gemini 
  • Even if you enter scores for all 18 holes, the USGA Handicap System will only consider the scores for the holes you actually played when calculating your handicap.

I have no idea how the system is to determine which of the holes that you actually played. And this whole section was pretty much incomprehensible with paragraphs like 

The USGA Handicap System does not allow you to post a score for handicap purposes if you have only played 16 holes.exclamation A minimum of 9 holes played over a course with a valid Course Rating and Slope Rating is required for an acceptable score.

From ChatGPT

Let's say you've played 16 holes, and you've entered scores for those 16 holes into the GHIN system. Your handicap is 18. Here's how it might be calculated:

• Par for the course is 72.
  • You've played 16 holes with a score of 90.

Have you ever wanted to score a triple eagle (1 stroke better than an albatross)? Just skip a par 5.

From ChatGPT

No Holes Played: If you have not played any holes, the course rating and slope rating will be used to determine your score. ESC is also used here.

I didn't play yesterday. I need to log into Ghin, post it,  and see what I shot. 

dave

ps. ChatGPT is probably running off of pre-2024 handicap changes.

Have you tried Groq?  This was the output:

The USGA Handicap System uses a formula to calculate a player's 18-hole score when they have only played 16 holes and have posted 16 holes into the GHIN system. The formula takes into account the player's handicap index, the course rating, and the slope rating of the course.

Here's how the calculation works:

1. First, the system calculates the player's adjusted score for the 16 holes they have played. This is done by taking the player's gross score for the 16 holes and adjusting it based on the course rating and slope rating. The adjusted score is calculated using the following formula:

Adjusted Score = (Gross Score x Course Rating) / 113

1. Next, the system calculates the player's handicap differential for the 16 holes played. This is done by subtracting the player's adjusted score from their handicap index. The handicap differential is calculated using the following formula:

Handicap Differential = Handicap Index - Adjusted Score

1. Finally, the system calculates the player's 18-hole score by adding the handicap differential to the adjusted score. The 18-hole score is calculated using the following formula:

18-Hole Score = Adjusted Score + Handicap Differential

For example, let's say a player has a handicap index of 15.0 and they have played 16 holes with a gross score of 80. The course rating is 72.0 and the slope rating is 125. The player's adjusted score would be calculated as follows:

Adjusted Score = (80 x 72.0) / 113 = 67.67

The player's handicap differential would be calculated as follows:

Handicap Differential = 15.0 - 67.67 = -12.67

The player's 18-hole score would be calculated as follows:

18-Hole Score = 67.67 + (-12.67) = 55.0

In this example, the player's 18-hole score would be 55.0, which would be their final score for the round.

It's worth noting that the USGA Handicap System has some additional rules and calculations that come into play when a player has not completed a full 18 holes, such as when a player has started their round on the back nine or has played fewer than 16 holes. However, the basic formula for calculating a player's 18-hole score remains the same.

• Haha 1