2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Macgregor MT-86 Irons- Any Classic Club Players take the Plunge?

Been thinking about getting a set of hollow/goo-filled head distance irons and I keep getting drawn to the new Macgregor MT-86 irons.  They really seem to be the perfect modern club for the classic club enthusiast.

Have any of you other classic players bought a set of the new modern Macs and put them through their paces yet?

• Like 2

nope....not even tempted. @Jiggered mentioned them in a video on the '83 remake Wingbacks - (para-phrasing here) "They are not classic and have no place on this channel (meaing his channel). There are so many classic clubs out there, why mess w/anything after '93....tho I gotta admit to the desire to be able to afford a set of the Jeff Sheets '95 Hogan Apex irons.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

First off DJ glad to hear from you again. I had thought about you today because I have the note tacked up on the wall of the shop you wrote me when you sent me the Mac wedge head.

I was encouraged to apply on the other site I used to be on because I was one of the "resident Mac guys". When I saw what they really were I had no desire. Besides I could not get my standard shaft (Steel Fiber 95) in them. From what I am hearing through some grapevines they are not doing well. Now I do not wish bad on anyone. I look in the future for them to be selling heads to like Diamond Tour Golf or the other company they own. If they are cheap enough in that case I MIGHT buy a set to experiment with. In my classic circles on FB no one seemed to get really excited about them. Yeah I agree with @bcstones on that.

I can remember when Golf Smith bought out Macgregor. When they were closing the MB store I went to look at mostly shop supplies and grips. My wife bless her was looking at bags. She came over to me and excitedly said there are 2 green and white Macgregor golf bags over there. I took a look and saw the made in China tag. I snorted to my wife that ain't no Macgregor bag that is Chinese junk. For some reason that incensed me.

I had to go to the set up in my signature for the reason of my bad back. But I have healed up quite a bit and have started back playing my classics some. I had not been active on this side of WRX for a while because I could not stand not being able to play my classic stuff. I will more than likely still play the stuff in my signature in league play because we play for money and I have did pretty well over the last year with it. 

Stu, nice to hear from you buddy!  Great to hear that you healed up enough to play the classics again.  I’m sort of in the same boat, although not as bad as your injury, I was in a car accident in Sept 2022 that has left me with multiple labrum tears in my right shoulder as well as a torn rotator cuff.  When I first started back playing a few months after the accident, I bought a set of Ping G425’s with regular flex 75 gram graphite. It made it much easier to get back to playing with some easy to play clubs.

While I have worked my way back up to some Steelfiber i95 stiffs, I haven’t played a steel shafted club other than wedges since the accident, which means the classics are just on display.  I’ve been playing really well with my Wishon 565 MC’s, and just bought back a set of KZG cavity backs I sold two years ago.  I can’t quit those things!

I am not up on the new equipment like the average WRXer, and have no real interest in spending $3000+ on a set of the latest and greatest.  But after hitting some hollow bodied irons and seeing the ball reach the green on a few poor swings that would normally leave me 10-15 yards short, man, that is fun.

Plus, I’m just not the golf bro with the fancy setup.  I’m an old school guy and I love the idea of having a set of Macgregor’s in the bag, but with the hidden tech that the MT-86’s afford.  

But like @ezgoer said, if the new Mac’s were priced like Tacomo irons, it would be a no brainer.  But at $900 for a set that you are buying blind, it’s not easy pull the trigger.

• Like 4

I flip and flop between the two.  Back home in Michigan, I'm more inclined to play vintage because the home course is much more vintage friendly yardage wise.  Got the set in my sig for brand new gear and hitting bombs, but there's a room full of goodies to pick from for vintage now.  No desire to buy the Macs mentioned tho.  I have the real deal in my Tommy Armour bag and a full set of VIPs.  Just as much fun playing the pyratone 1930 Hagens or RTJ Spaldings too!

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I'm old school but a couple of years ago I bought a cheap set of MacGregor irons with cup-face technology from 2008 and 60gm regular shafts. These are the newest irons I own.

I try them out every spring after reading this that and the other.

This year, following surgery and radiotherapy and reading Tom Wishon 'Search for the Perfect Golf Club' I resoved to try them again. Guess what, they played no better for me then my steel gamer sets with R300 shafts. My club head speed doesn't seem to vary depending on shaft weight like it's supposed to.

The only thing I got out of my research that worked was to cut my driver length down to 43 inches and weight up the head to compensate.

• Like 3

I am an old school guy myself but occasionally play more modern equipment. My advice to @deejaid, buy a set if you want to, there is no harm in that. Like @BIG STU, I do my own thing but don’t impose my preferences on others. I personally find that the prices of modern equipment are ridiculous and overhyped and so nothing new for me. I like switching back and forth between eras and love the forged feel. My “modern” set is also a set of blades so that there is almost no adaptation which as I said works for me. I have also got rid of my 460cc with 45.75” shaft and replaced it with a Mini Driver, again so that there is less adaptation. I find my scores have not been adversely affected. 

My advice to anyone is make sure you are having fun and do what works for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

My club head speed doesn't seem to vary depending on shaft weight like it's supposed to.

Add me to the same group in which you reside.  The only thing lighter shafts do for me is negatively influence my consistency.  LOL

The idea that shaft weight decreases add to swingspeed is one of those concepts that can work in certain circumstances, but has been taken too far by marketing, and a certain portion of the golf populace.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I’m with you on the R300 shafts! Most new clubs the non upgraded option shafts seem to be the lightweight steel shafts. Seems they are geared far more towards beginners.
Couple mistakes i made when I got my newest is not going for a heavier shaft. In my fitting I chose the non upgrade 95 gram option instead of 115 gram. I really wasn’t seeing much difference on anything so chose the lighter figuring I’m only getting older. Wasn’t totally thinking of how they feel cuz they do feel foreign in comparison in a lot of ways. Should have got the 115’s and now actually wish I would have upgraded all the way to DG S300’s. Was too cheap to pay the extra $20, give or take, a club then and now regret it. I don’t over power the 95’s or hit them too high but I now want the club heavier in my hands. One of my favorite sets to play is my 1959 Mac CF4000 PT1’s. Now we are talking some pretty serious weight but just proves the point in my mind. I may search out a take out set of 370 300’s or equivalent for my moderns. 

I’ve played around with heavier swing weights for a long time but never gave much thought to the actual club weight. Lighter weight and extra swing speed made sense to me. One of the things playing vintage has shown me is I can swing a much heavier club and actually prefer it. Wasn’t till semi recently that I really understood that heavier doesn’t always have to mean stiffer. 

I do understand that physical limitations come into play on this. Stu’s bad back and deejaid’s shoulder’s necessitated it. Nock on wood I’m lucky enough to not have many as of yet at 55. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Add me to the same group in which you reside.  The only thing lighter shafts do for me is negatively influence my consistency.  LOL

The idea that shaft weight decreases add to swingspeed is one of those concepts that can work in certain circumstances, but has been taken too far by marketing, and a certain portion of the golf populace.

It is like you and I (and others) have said over the years things work differently for different people. Now at first I had problems adapting to the Steel Fiber 95s because they do load differently from any steel shafts. I did not build those TMs but who ever did knew their stuff. I have never weighed any Hogan steel shafts but there is a weight difference I can feel it. Even though the Apex shafts in my VIPs are a #2 and considered a senior shaft they are still heavier to my feel. I think over the last 2 years which I made drastic swing changes because of my back issues I have built my swing with the graphite to some extent. But I still have gotten to the point I can hit the Apex or even the Mac Pro Pel 2 shafts with out any problems. For me with the graphite I can play more during the week without pain or stiffness or tiring myself out. 

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

39 minutes ago, Yacho said:

Apex shafts are 115g uncut, play at about 108g at standard length.

Thanks for the 911 on that. The only Mac/Apex conversions have been done on my personal stuff. for my stuff I do not gram out shafts or check swing weight. I weigh entirely by feel. But that would explain the difference among other things in the way the TMs feel and hit. I actually wrote it down in my notebook for future reference

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style