2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Which would you prefer to watch with full Golf Channel support/production and airing on golf channel (not going against PGA Tour Events)?

vandyfan

Which would you prefer to watch with full Golf Channel support/production and airing on golf channel (not going against PGA Tour Events)?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't noticed the lpga not getting full coverage by the golf channel, so why is it even being mentioned?

As for the champions tour, the only excitement it ever generates is if Langer is in the lead.  Can't say kft would be any more exciting for me, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd rather watch the guys who are playing for something significant.

On 3/29/2024 at 11:58 AM, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Scruffy wants to watch the up and comers grinding for their card and not the elder statesmen reminiscing about when they were good enough to play on the Tour.

The Senior Tour is lifeless especially if Els or even Couples are not playing. Let's see the young studs on Korn Ferry Tour.

• Like 1

The voting almost is at a close and we are neck and neck! The Masters might give some juice to the older guys, especially if one of the senior guys plays well this week. We will see....

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I'd like to see less of your choices and more LPGA coverage. I'd settle for the :PGA coverage to stop being preempted for the KF and Geezer coverage.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 3/29/2024 at 10:59 PM, vandyfan said:

I'll bite. Guys that played KFT in the last several years off the top of my head:

Scottie Scheffler (best player in the world)

Will Zalatoris
Cam Young

Mito Pereira
Luke List

Personally, I think all those guys are fun to watch. But yes, the majority of the KFT will get limited, if any, starts on the PGA Tour. But I would rather watch them (I think they are likely better, on the whole) than formerly great now older Champs Tours. 

Luke list has been on tour for 11 years. Has 2 wins and 12 top 5 finishes in that timeframe. Not someone I would tune in to watch.

Mito didn’t live up to any of the hype

and then bolted for the money.

17 minutes ago, puresurfr said:

I love watching the LPGA tour, the legends are definitely legends but in the same vein I would not watch Rick Barry post up Kevin McHale today.   If u want a quality KFT tour just wait for the Tahoe Open or the Barracuda or Puerto Rico Open

That is the real undercurrent and point to the current PGA tour and I agree with that. There are way too many PGA Tour events as it is so they should just embrace 10-15 BIG events per year and then every thing is trying to qualify for the big events. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

19 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

That is the real undercurrent and point to the current PGA tour and I agree with that. There are way too many PGA Tour events as it is so they should just embrace 10-15 BIG events per year and then every thing is trying to qualify for the big events. 

There’s 40 events including majors and playoffs. That’s far from too many.

The tour is about way more than the big names or the big events. And the setup now is basically about the big 10-15 and qualifying for those.

7 events are majors and the playoffs. Then you have the 8 signature events. The rest of the 25 events are for those trying to qualify for the 15 events either by winning a tournament or moving up the ranking points. 

So how many total events would you consider optimal outside of the playoffs, majors and signature events? Would you prevent the big names from playing in those non big events? Would you chamber the minimum number of events all golfers have to play each year? If so what would that number be?

If the KFT type players are what you like to watch you get that in the current events where the big names skip and you get it in better courses 

Edited by GoGoErky

32 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

There’s 40 events including majors and playoffs. That’s far from too many.

The tour is about way more than the big names or the big events. And the setup now is basically about the big 10-15 and qualifying for those.

7 events are majors and the playoffs. Then you have the 8 signature events. The rest of the 25 events are for those trying to qualify for the 15 events either by winning a tournament or moving up the ranking points. 

So how many total events would you consider optimal outside of the playoffs, majors and signature events? Would you prevent the big names from playing in those non big events? Would you chamber the minimum number of events all golfers have to play each year? If so what would that number be?

If the KFT type players are what you like to watch you get that in the current events where the big names skip and you get it in better courses 

None of this is stated as fact, my opinion. And full disclosure, I like watching golf. I don't have all the answers but....

Probably a separate conversation but I think the fully exempt PGA Tour players should be like 75 guys. Designated fields should be like 75 players with a cut (all 75 spots can still get paid in some form or fashion though). These are the BIG PGA Tour events, like 10-15. The rest of the events are qualifying series or something like that. We want the best players in there. Not JJ Henry getting some bizarre exemption or JB Holmes playing out his 3 year of a major medical. The guys that are on heaters and playing well. Right now, it feels like they are trying to fund purses for stuff like the Sony where not a lot of guys show up AND all the Korn Ferry events AND the Champions Tour and it just seems like they are getting spread pretty thin. Korn Ferry would maybe still exist as part of the qualifying series or maybe there is a PGA Tour B (qualifying series for Big Events) and then KFT (qualifying for PGA Tour B). Purses are smaller so you have less sponsors (hopefully) dropping out because the $$$ ask is not so astronomically high. 

If the big guys want to play in the qualifying series to stay sharp, of course they can play.

For too long the Tour has been member run which means the "members" want as many playing opportunities as possible, want as many exemptions to stay on the tour as possible and want to prevent younger guys from coming up. That is just how it has been. That hurts the overall product, waters it down, makes it like tennis where (most) people outside of us sickos only care about the Majors. Maybe this doesn't change any of it for those people but try something. This should be about promoting the best players and cycling out the Jimmy Walkers and Zach Johnsons of the world, in my opinion. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

10 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Probably a separate conversation but I think the fully exempt PGA Tour players should be like 75 guys. Designated fields should be like 75 players with a cut (all 75 spots can still get paid in some form or fashion though). These are the BIG PGA Tour events, like 10-15.

Three of the signature events have a cut after 36 holes. The playoffs have a field reduction as they progress to the tour championship. There will never be a limited field major outside of what we see at Augusta.

12 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

The rest of the events are qualifying series or something like that.

Already exists in the current schedule because non signature events, majors and the playoffs require some qualification to enter. Therefore the rest of the events are qualifying events 

14 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

We want the best players in there. Not JJ Henry getting some bizarre exemption or JB Holmes playing out his 3 year of a major medical. The guys that are on heaters and playing well. R

Well the exemptions doesn’t mean a player is automatically in an event. There is a seeding and each player has a ranking in that seeing so the golfers at the bottom of the seeding are the ones left out. Guys who finish top ten in a tournament the next week so those who are hot are going to have the chance to play. You also aren’t going to get the top guys playing every week because of the physical and mental toll of playing each week takes on them. So 3-5 weeks is the most you are going to see guys playing. Its why you see the best only playing their 20-25 weeks and setting their schedule around the big events

18 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Right now, it feels like they are trying to fund purses for stuff like the Sony where not a lot of guys show

It takes a lot to go to Hawaii for a week

then fly back to the mainland for the start of the west coast swing. So you aren’t going to get bigger name guys going there who are planning to play 3-5 times on the west coast swing which has 2 of the signature events.

22 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Korn Ferry would maybe still exist as part of the qualifying series or maybe there is a PGA Tour B (qualifying series for Big Events) and then KFT (qualifying for PGA Tour B).

Splitting the tour up into two different tours and then having the kft only spreads things thin more than they are perceived to be. The kft already has a process for getting on tour with the 3 wins in a season, those who want to risk it can try to Monday qualify where applicable. 

The pga tour b is basically what exists now if the opposite field events and events where the majority of top player don’t play.

24 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

For too long the Tour has been member run which means the "members" want as many playing opportunities as possible, want as many exemptions to stay on the tour as possible and want to prevent younger guys from coming up. T

I think that it being member run is a good thing.

I don’t think anyone is trying to prevent young guys from playing. They give 30 cards to kft members after their season concludes. Exemptions are given for tournament winners, but again that exemption only means they have status for two years it doesn’t meant they are able to go on cruise control. And if we look at the last 10-15 years it’s been the younger crowd that has been dominating the tour. The top stars are under 30. 

29 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

That hurts the overall product, waters it down,

How does having pga tour winners playing water down a product? 

The reality is that there are only a small number of golfers on the professional side that are going to be around each week and show up on the leaderboard consistently and the better they get the less they are going to need to play.

You will see the best only play about 5-10 events outside of the big 15 so that they don’t get burnt out. I would rather have them not play every week and be fresh when they do than be tired and play poorly and miss a bunch of cuts