2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping BlueprintS vs T150 vs T200

2puttchris

So these are the 3 irons I keep going back too. This was the first time I have tried the Ping, now I was not able to get them all in the same shaft the Ping I had a Modus 105 Stiff and for both Titliest I had the Project X LZ 6.0. The Pings felt great, felt soft didn't feel that hard to hit but maybe I was just hitting them well. The wanted to see if you guys can look at the numbers with me and give me some thoughts (T200 data from a pervious day)

BluePrint S

BlueprintS.jpeg.b0b86391f8616319f5e68d7f95f853f4.jpeg

T150

T150.jpeg.b9500be9cfbae63376065a2512c121e5.jpeg

T200

T200.jpeg.40c5d827ae68d58c3d86515ead838d63.jpeg

Was this a fitting? What did the fitter say?

According to this the Pings go higher, straighter, farther, and stop faster. If you feel like you were just hitting it particularly good with them, it might be worth trying a different day. It's possible the shaft made all the difference. Could be that the more compact Blueprint head fits your action better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amarsuperstar said:

Was this a fitting? What did the fitter say?

According to this the Pings go higher, straighter, farther, and stop faster. If you feel like you were just hitting it particularly good with them, it might be worth trying a different day. It's possible the shaft made all the difference. Could be that the more compact Blueprint head fits your action better. 

Was not a fitting, just went to the PGA superstore and to a couple of clubs put together. 

30 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Agreed.  Looks like that px lz shaft is not a good fit.  Maybe try the something in the 105 weight range with the 150 and 200 if you more of an apples to apples comparison.

Yeah so the last time I was there I had tried the T150 and the T2000 with the modus 105 shaft and it was fine in the 150 I felt like I knew where the head was and I thought everything was OK there but when I had tried the T20, I just couldn’t get on with it so then I went to the LZ shaft in the 200 which is the screenshot above and it was better. It was straighter than what I had in the modus 105 before so I figured I would try it in the T150. I was considering doing a team Titleist fitting if I was gonna go to the Titleist route, but not sure if I just go to club champion so I can try the ping and the Titleist at the same time with more options. 

• Like 1

Very interesting results. Could be something with the head shape that allows you to spin the T200 more than T150 but I feel like this is rare so probably shaft related. The T200 are lofted down from T150 so you should launch lower and carry further but spin less. Your results are a bit strange here so I would try to normalize those shafts a bit. Looks like you hit the Blueprints pretty well!

What's your handicap? How consistent of a ball striker are you?

I play T150s and I'm a 7.5. They work pretty well for me and I have the LZ 6.0's. I could probably use MORE forgiveness in hindsight, so you gotta be cool with a smaller clubhead for T150/Blueprints. It can be a bit intimidating on days where you feel a little bit off.

3 hours ago, Stavo said:

Very interesting results. Could be something with the head shape that allows you to spin the T200 more than T150 but I feel like this is rare so probably shaft related. The T200 are lofted down from T150 so you should launch lower and carry further but spin less. Your results are a bit strange here so I would try to normalize those shafts a bit. Looks like you hit the Blueprints pretty well!

What's your handicap? How consistent of a ball striker are you?

I play T150s and I'm a 7.5. They work pretty well for me and I have the LZ 6.0's. I could probably use MORE forgiveness in hindsight, so you gotta be cool with a smaller clubhead for T150/Blueprints. It can be a bit intimidating on days where you feel a little bit off.

Last year started getting back into the game again, some years off cause of kids. I got a set of Zx4/zx5 but I can't get along with the soles of the club not sure if it is cause of the width of them or the shape of the bottom. When I was playing a lot I definitely preferred the more players clubs, and one of my favorite clubs were the S55's not sure if that's why I did well with the BluePrints, felt like the past. Might have to go somewhere like a club champion that has more shaft options. Would love to try them with some steel fiber 110's which I recently tired in PXG 0317T's

I'm giving up on blades now. I have Titleist 620 MB and love them but they don't love me anymore. I was super keen on the Blueprint S and was 100% convinced that I was going to get them.

Went for a hit last week with 620 MB, Blueprint S and Srixon ZX7 MkII (similar look to Blueprint S) . Hit around 200 balls total and the clear winner was the ZX7. Pretty much a bad strike with the ZX7 lost about 5m but a bad strike with the MB loses 10-15m. I know the MB is weaker at 35d compared to 32d but the consistency difference is stark. ZX7 outperformed the Blueprint S also, not by as much but felt softer and more consistent. Was surprised too as the ZX7 are pretty much 1/2 price of the pings. Have placed an order for ZX7 as a result.

ZX7 might be something to consider for you.

I firmly believe the ZX7 and Cobra King Tours are the 2 best irons out there right now for a typical ball striker of the 6-13 handicap range or anyone wanting more forgiveness while still getting a good looking iron that feel incredible. They are quite forgiving for the size and looks of the club and they can both be played standard loft or weaker without issues to dial in distances and spin rates.

Driver: Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5° - Ventus Blue 6x
3W: TaylorMade Qi10 15° - Kai'li White 70x
5W: TaylorMade Qi10 18° - Kai'li White 70x
Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-5 Cobra King CB 6-9 Cobra King MB Pw-Gw - Modus 120x
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 TourRack 54 mid & 58 low - Modus 125 Wedge Shaft
Putter: L.A.B Mezz.1 Max w Accra shaft

I've only heard amazing things about ZX7 and King Tours! Unfortunately to my own detriment I'm a brand hoe and only play Titleist and Ping. Would recommend OP give em a go though.

OP - you got all you need from this thread. If you're gonna drop this much on a new set, spend more and get fitted. Shafts really do make all the difference.

When I was fitted with Titleist I tried probably 5 shafts. 3 were horrible and 2 (LZ and Modus 120) were pretty much neck and neck. Tried all types of weights and flexes too. Do it.

1 hour ago, 2puttchris said:

Yeah it was one of those clubs that I hit and was like, wait a minute, and every time I hit it I was like No it's not that easy is it. 

I really think the Ping BPS just fit certain players really well, even if their a mid-handicap. Most seem to like the BPS but I have also seen in the dedicated thread some folks saying they were too demanding on the course.  I ended up hitting them a few times at a local store against other irons and then booked a fitting to be 100% sure.

I played a couple rounds with my ZX5's this year before my BPS arrived and the difference is night and day in my iron/approach game. For me, they are just so consistent and have been hitting a lot more greens in reg so far. The misses are even consistent, I find if I hit it a bit skinny or out towards the toe (my typical misses) I just end up 5-10yds short but maintain my target line, if it's a forced carry, I just make sure I take enough club to compensate if I'm not striking it well. 

All of this to say, I would go for a fitting before pulling the trigger on them. Surprised me as a 12 HCP that I could be fit into an iron like these (even the fitter based on our discussion assumed I would be going i230), but you need to make sure you are comfortable with them and in the right shaft (I went from Modus 105 to DG 120, never would have thought to go up in weight but it has made my strike more consistent and got rid of my left miss). If you've played the S55's in the past and got along, then you should have no issues but best to do a fitting to compare against all the available options.

39 minutes ago, Dr.Potat said:

I really think the Ping BPS just fit certain players really well, even if their a mid-handicap. Most seem to like the BPS but I have also seen in the dedicated thread some folks saying they were too demanding on the course.  I ended up hitting them a few times at a local store against other irons and then booked a fitting to be 100% sure.

I played a couple rounds with my ZX5's this year before my BPS arrived and the difference is night and day in my iron/approach game. For me, they are just so consistent and have been hitting a lot more greens in reg so far. The misses are even consistent, I find if I hit it a bit skinny or out towards the toe (my typical misses) I just end up 5-10yds short but maintain my target line, if it's a forced carry, I just make sure I take enough club to compensate if I'm not striking it well. 

All of this to say, I would go for a fitting before pulling the trigger on them. Surprised me as a 12 HCP that I could be fit into an iron like these (even the fitter based on our discussion assumed I would be going i230), but you need to make sure you are comfortable with them and in the right shaft (I went from Modus 105 to DG 120, never would have thought to go up in weight but it has made my strike more consistent and got rid of my left miss). If you've played the S55's in the past and got along, then you should have no issues but best to do a fitting to compare against all the available options.

Thanks for the insight was your fitting indoors or outside? I was hoping to find a ping fitting event but doesn't look like any in the New York area. 

1 hour ago, 2puttchris said:

Thanks for the insight was your fitting indoors or outside? I was hoping to find a ping fitting event but doesn't look like any in the New York area. 

Mine was indoors at Ping Canada. I would certainly have preferred outdoor, but I was too impatient lol. Even in the indoor fitting they were the clear winner out of all the irons I had tried prior to going to Ping Canada, I just hit them more consistently than anything else. When I actually got them outside the turf interaction made them that much better. 

On 4/10/2024 at 5:37 PM, Dr.Potat said:

Mine was indoors at Ping Canada. I would certainly have preferred outdoor, but I was too impatient lol. Even in the indoor fitting they were the clear winner out of all the irons I had tried prior to going to Ping Canada, I just hit them more consistently than anything else. When I actually got them outside the turf interaction made them that much better. 

That is what I would like to be able to do but have not found any place doing it outside in NY area. But I did go back to the PGA Store to re-hit the 150's and the blueprint S. Had some interest results, Tried the LZ, KBS tour stiff and the modus 105 stiff these were the only shafts that they carry in both. The modus felt fine in both a little more ball speed in the Ping with that shaft than the 150's. I then saw that they had the KBS tour shafts in both so was like let me try that, for the BPS they were similar a little shorter, might be cause of a little more spin. I then went to try it in the 150 head and it was down right terrible after a few shots I knew it was not the right shaft(so bad I deleted them all), So I went ahead and put in the LZ shafts, and the numbers went right back up and much better. 

So I was getting ready to walk away and then I asked the guy about the new mizuno's and he said a lot of people have liked the MP 245 so I tried that with the LZ shaft. They were defiantly the hottest of the 3 clubs, I didn't realize at the time that the loft of the 7 iron is the strongest at 30 degrees, felt good though hadn't hit any of the mizuno's in a while. 

150 Modus 105 S

150LZ.jpg.817f5ec89e63d1a93c05f49ac3b848b7.jpg

BPS modus 105S

BSlz.jpg.27155a849894a18bda2c5879ae67ec7e.jpg

BPS Kbs tour Stiff - Red labeled putter 

BPSKBS.jpg.e408d387d43f127193c6298cf115ca20.jpg

150 LZ 6.0( ignore the last 4 that was the 150 4 iron with an LZ 6.0, they had a demo forgot to remove them)  Removing those get the following numbers 

Avg. Ball speed: 116.5

Avg spin:6969

Avg CARRY: 163.1

Avg Total: 172.75

t150LZ.jpg.62ffbef336c8270234712ba0b5673251.jpg

MP245 LZ 6.0

MP245LZ.jpg.ba9327ab1ae31921c0ca1926c393938b.jpg

24 minutes ago, 2puttchris said:

How much distance should you expect with a 2 degree stronger loft

Loft alone maybe 4-6 yards?  245 is a hollow body iron which will increase ball speed and distance a bit in addition of the loft compared to cb/pocket cbs like the bps an t150.

more importantly than the distance, your spin looks better for a 7 iron your left to right dispersion is smaller.  

18 hours ago, 2puttchris said:

That is what I would like to be able to do but have not found any place doing it outside in NY area. But I did go back to the PGA Store to re-hit the 150's and the blueprint S. Had some interest results, Tried the LZ, KBS tour stiff and the modus 105 stiff these were the only shafts that they carry in both. The modus felt fine in both a little more ball speed in the Ping with that shaft than the 150's. I then saw that they had the KBS tour shafts in both so was like let me try that, for the BPS they were similar a little shorter, might be cause of a little more spin. I then went to try it in the 150 head and it was down right terrible after a few shots I knew it was not the right shaft(so bad I deleted them all), So I went ahead and put in the LZ shafts, and the numbers went right back up and much better. 

So I was getting ready to walk away and then I asked the guy about the new mizuno's and he said a lot of people have liked the MP 245 so I tried that with the LZ shaft. They were defiantly the hottest of the 3 clubs, I didn't realize at the time that the loft of the 7 iron is the strongest at 30 degrees, felt good though hadn't hit any of the mizuno's in a while. 

150 Modus 105 S

150LZ.jpg.817f5ec89e63d1a93c05f49ac3b848b7.jpg

BPS modus 105S

BSlz.jpg.27155a849894a18bda2c5879ae67ec7e.jpg

BPS Kbs tour Stiff - Red labeled putter 

BPSKBS.jpg.e408d387d43f127193c6298cf115ca20.jpg

150 LZ 6.0( ignore the last 4 that was the 150 4 iron with an LZ 6.0, they had a demo forgot to remove them)  Removing those get the following numbers 

Avg. Ball speed: 116.5

Avg spin:6969

Avg CARRY: 163.1

Avg Total: 172.75

t150LZ.jpg.62ffbef336c8270234712ba0b5673251.jpg

MP245 LZ 6.0

MP245LZ.jpg.ba9327ab1ae31921c0ca1926c393938b.jpg

It depends on your goal with a set of irons but your results with the 245’s is exactly why I went with the BPS. 

I found with the 245 and my previous ZX5’s that I could be hitting a 7i anywhere from 165 to 190 depending on the strike. With the BPS I was getting a max discrepancy to 10 yards. For me BPS was the difference between hitting my number and just short of the green and with the 245 the difference could span from short of the green to flying the green (same went for my ZX5’s).

Again, totally dependent on what you’re looking for. If you want more distance, 245 is the way to go but if you want more consistency it looks like the BPS. 

Interesting to see a comparison of the Blueprint S to the T150 and T200. I did not hit the T150 but felt the Blueprint S was more equivalent to the T100 than anything else. It certainly has some forgiveness but does not stand out to me as a T200 type iron in terms of help. 

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

On 4/9/2024 at 1:20 PM, 2puttchris said:

So these are the 3 irons I keep going back too. This was the first time I have tried the Ping, now I was not able to get them all in the same shaft the Ping I had a Modus 105 Stiff and for both Titliest I had the Project X LZ 6.0. The Pings felt great, felt soft didn't feel that hard to hit but maybe I was just hitting them well. The wanted to see if you guys can look at the numbers with me and give me some thoughts (T200 data from a pervious day)

BluePrint S

BlueprintS.jpeg.b0b86391f8616319f5e68d7f95f853f4.jpeg

T150

T150.jpeg.b9500be9cfbae63376065a2512c121e5.jpeg

T200

T200.jpeg.40c5d827ae68d58c3d86515ead838d63.jpeg

Your std deviation is the tightest in the Blueprint S. When clubs perform and feel similar I use the deviation to decide.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

15 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Your std deviation is the tightest in the Blueprint S. When clubs perform and feel similar I use the deviation to decide.

No issues with spin at 7k with a 7 iron off mats?  At 116 ball speed and 7k spin I would think in any wind over 5mph it’s going to be tough to get any distance.  

2 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

No issues with spin at 7k with a 7 iron off mats?  At 116 ball speed and 7k spin I would think in any wind over 5mph it’s going to be tough to get any distance.  

I find it is not an issue taking spin off the blueprint S when required.  You can go high and floaty or low and driving.  It has been quite windy the last couple of weeks and I have no regrets on these iron.  (Former S55 & TCB player).    And yes my normal 7i spin is at about 7K, which is pretty drop and stop on most greens.  I am around 117 BS, 165 carry with the Blue Print S 7i.  (Keep in mind, I am old).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 12:04 PM, T Creer said:

Blueprint S are magic. Great turf interaction (much better than T200) and close to the T150. I hit them way better than the T150 though. 

I hit the T150s and am thinking about going to the BPS. Based on my BPS numbers, they seem about the same or maybe a little longer than the T150s, despite being 1 degree weaker?  Forgiveness to me was there, but... hopefully it wasn't just a good day. I hit the T150s well, but I hit those BPS very well too... Thoughts appreciated. Thanks,

9 hours ago, SeaIsland said:

I hit the T150s and am thinking about going to the BPS. Based on my BPS numbers, they seem about the same or maybe a little longer than the T150s, despite being 1 degree weaker?  Forgiveness to me was there, but... hopefully it wasn't just a good day. I hit the T150s well, but I hit those BPS very well too... Thoughts appreciated. Thanks,

I’ve had both in the bag this season. BPS were fantastic, but I find the T150’s slightly less demanding. Plus, I much prefer the look of the T150’s so they won out. If you hit both equally well, pick the one your brain keeps coming back to and be confident. Not a wrong choice between these two offerings. 

I'm looking for irons in the same category.  Have done fittings (outdoor but on mats) with Ping and Titleist. Since I know I want Nippon Modus 105S for a shaft, I was able to focus on the heads. My main criteria is on dispersion and distance consistency but with the caveat of being an OK 10hdcp ball striker with a mid to high 70s 7i club head speed (father time is such a jerk).

I assumed for Ping the i230 or maybe the i530 would fit the bill but the BSP was the winner. Surprisingly forgiving and distance consistency was excellent, and of course the solid head forged feel was sweet. The i530 was crazy - had some bombs but was generally all over the map.  i230 was OK but for some reason was just meh in my mind.

Titleist, I had an open mind in the T series although the 350 has too much offset for my taste.  In this case the T200 really stood out for me in terms of forgiveness and I was getting good trajectory numbers with good spin (~6000). T150 was like the i230 for me - fine but meh. Also the T200 5 iron was much more consistent compared to the BPS 5 iron (no shock there).

Given this I am leaning towards the T200 and although the distance consistency seemed good in the fitting, I am curious what people have seen in the real world. Has it been reasonable for distance control or do you get the occasional bomb? I also realize with either I could later combo in a different club, e.g., T100-150 for the short irons or i230 for the longer irons, but traditionally I have not liked combo sets.

On 4/10/2024 at 12:04 PM, T Creer said:

Blueprint S are magic. Great turf interaction (much better than T200) and close to the T150. I hit them way better than the T150 though. 

I've having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Blueprint S... because I like my T150s (a lot). But I'm ready for a change and I hit the Blueprints very well. You still liking your switch?

10 hours ago, SeaIsland said:

I've having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Blueprint S... because I like my T150s (a lot). But I'm ready for a change and I hit the Blueprints very well. You still liking your switch?

T150 are great. I’m like you, a switch “might” get me to the next level. In all reality, the Blueprint S didn’t get me to the next level 😩
I love the Blueprint but the T150 are a very close 2nd place. 

9 hours ago, T Creer said:

T150 are great. I’m like you, a switch “might” get me to the next level. In all reality, the Blueprint S didn’t get me to the next level 😩
I love the Blueprint but the T150 are a very close 2nd place. 

fill me in... am I wrong to think the Blueprints go a little higher, farther (it seems that way)? The trade-in value on the T150s is hard to pass on (when you change clubs as often as I do), but I'm actually thinking about having both sets. Any experience-details would be appreciated.