Jump to content

Ivy to Pro - golf next???


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Golfquant said:

 

Dont really follow college baseball, and don't know how to read the above chart.  

At least for golf, you HAVE to practice turf interaction, and you HAVE to have the FEEL around the greens to score.  

It's not something you can do on a simulator or a gymnasium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

 

Dont really follow college baseball, and don't know how to read the above chart.  

At least for golf, you HAVE to practice turf interaction, and you HAVE to have the FEEL around the greens to score.  

It's not something you can do on a simulator or a gymnasium.

so are you implying that the 3 months of the year (excluding holidays, team trips, vacations) over a 4 year period that Ivy competitors are not able to do this creates such a significant disadvantage that it prevents them from becoming a touring professional?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Golfquant said:

so are you implying that the 3 months of the year (excluding holidays, team trips, vacations) over a 4 year period that Ivy competitors are not able to do this creates such a significant disadvantage that it prevents them from becoming a touring professional?

 

5months out of the year...

 

In think there's already a whole thread that got locked on this exact subject.  Let's not start a new one.  

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not think it is the lack of practice facilities or weather but the mentality of the team, coaching staff and academic pressure that really increases the odds of a junior golfer going pro from an Ivy league.   I am not saying it is not doable but makes it really, really difficult.  Most the of the Ivy coaches will tell you, if you wanna try and go pro do not come and play for us.

 

I appreciated the coaches candor during my sons recruiting process but the fact of the matter is that the team is not geared in trying to develop kids who would like to play professional golf. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kcap said:

I do not think it is the lack of practice facilities or weather but the mentality of the team, coaching staff and academic pressure that really increases the odds of a junior golfer going pro from an Ivy league.   I am not saying it is not doable but makes it really, really difficult.  Most the of the Ivy coaches will tell you, if you wanna try and go pro do not come and play for us.

 

I appreciated the coaches candor during my sons recruiting process but the fact of the matter is that the team is not geared in trying to develop kids who would like to play professional golf. 

this seems like a reasonable explanation of why past Ivy athletes have not taken it to the next level - although there are some current Ivy players (including recent transfers using extra COVID eligibility to do grad years at top D1 programs) who are changing that trend/philosophy, hence the title of the post

 

I'm just not sure why, if there are Ivy pros in other sports, golf wouldn't also be headed toward that trend

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The success rate at even schools like Arizona State which has churned out the most number of successful professional golfers I believe is so low.  To think that a kid at an Ivy school who does not have the support system nor the competitive dynamics will be able have successful professional career seems a little far fetched. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kcap said:

The success rate at even schools like Arizona State which has churned out the most number of successful professional golfers I believe is so low.  To think that a kid at an Ivy school who does not have the support system nor the competitive dynamics will be able have successful professional career seems a little far fetched. 

which schools told you "don't come here if you want to go pro"?

 

that certainly doesn't jive with at least 2 teams I know of that have multiple current roster members who intend to do so (including one who went to European Q-school over the winter)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A pro golfer is basically an independent contractor. This is very different from other sports where you are basically an employee.

 

The vast majority of college golfers get a dose of reality when they graduate.

 

Being a pro golfer is hard in every aspect. You most likely have money issues and are on the road chasing purses that you qualify for.

 

If you make and get a tour card you have a shot at great money but that is a very small number of guys.

 

I would assume if you went to a ivy league school you have a good chance to show up at a job. This job will also likely allow you drive a nice luxury car while living in the nice part of town.

Edited by jayslaysongolf
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, kcap said:

i think your child should have a candid discussion with the coach.  And hopefully they are being honest about it and laying out how hard it is to go pro from an Ivy league.  

it is hard to go pro from any conference in any sport

 

the Ivy League are getting a higher % of top recruits (even in golf):

https://collegegolfcommits.com/2024boysrecruitingclasses

https://collegegolfcommits.com/2025boysrecruitingclasses

 

this is a new development and very different than even just 5-7 years ago

 

I think it would be helpful to understand what structural impediments could prevent a talented athlete who attended an Ivy League school from going pro; I am not sure cold weather is necessarily a crucial factor, given the number of notable tour pros from cold-weather schools like Illinois and Northwestern but also Minnesota, Michigan, Colorado, Denver Wisconsin

 

"limiting factors" for Ivy-->pro could include the following:

1) inadequate practice facilities and access to home course

2) inability/unwillingness to compete against top schools/players

3) coach/school not supportive of athletes "doing what it takes" to work towards becoming a professional (esp non-leniency in academics)

4) lack of resources (e.g. trainers, equipment, travel budget)

 

#2 seems especially relevant if PGA Tour U continues to expand in number/scope, but is dependent on playing in a certain level of tournament or against a field with minimum competitiveness

 

an Ivy coach at a #200-300 ranked school who probably has never had a player who had the potential to even have success on a mini-tour saying "don't come here" may not be a relevant factor imho

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Golfquant said:

it is hard to go pro from any conference in any sport

 

the Ivy League are getting a higher % of top recruits (even in golf):

https://collegegolfcommits.com/2024boysrecruitingclasses

https://collegegolfcommits.com/2025boysrecruitingclasses

 

this is a new development and very different than even just 5-7 years ago

 

I think it would be helpful to understand what structural impediments could prevent a talented athlete who attended an Ivy League school from going pro; I am not sure cold weather is necessarily a crucial factor, given the number of notable tour pros from cold-weather schools like Illinois and Northwestern but also Minnesota, Michigan, Colorado, Denver Wisconsin

 

"limiting factors" for Ivy-->pro could include the following:

1) inadequate practice facilities and access to home course

2) inability/unwillingness to compete against top schools/players

3) coach/school not supportive of athletes "doing what it takes" to work towards becoming a professional (esp non-leniency in academics)

4) lack of resources (e.g. trainers, equipment, travel budget)

 

#2 seems especially relevant if PGA Tour U continues to expand in number/scope, but is dependent on playing in a certain level of tournament or against a field with minimum competitiveness

 

an Ivy coach at a #200-300 ranked school who probably has never had a player who had the potential to even have success on a mini-tour saying "don't come here" may not be a relevant factor imho

 

I never said it was a relevant factor.  I just said the coaches outline all the reasons (like you did above) on how hard it is to go pro from the Ivies.  Ultimately it is your choice if you still decide to follow that path (i.e. ivy to pro) or something else.   

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's always exceptions to the rule. 

 

Zach Johnson played at Drake, a Missouri Valley team in Des Moines, Iowa.

 

But the rule is a rule for a reason.

  • Like 2

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: On a rotating basis
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Golfquant said:

 

What's the point of all this?

 

Nothing to do with very talented basketball players has anything to do with golf at all.  Dumb comparison.

 

And it's not a "trend", lol, but if it was, again would be irrelevant to golf.

 

Are you just hung up on wanting some golfer to make it out of the Ivy League?  

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

 

What's the point of all this?

 

Nothing to do with very talented basketball players has anything to do with golf at all.  Dumb comparison.

 

And it's not a "trend", lol, but if it was, again would be irrelevant to golf.

 

Are you just hung up on wanting some golfer to make it out of the Ivy League?  

lol

 

speaking of talented basketball players, is the women's NCAA final getting more viewers than men's a "trend" HAWKEYE? (i assume you are a huuuuge fan)

 

regime shifts happen all the time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, kcap said:

 

 

I never said it was a relevant factor.  I just said the coaches outline all the reasons (like you did above) on how hard it is to go pro from the Ivies.  Ultimately it is your choice if you still decide to follow that path (i.e. ivy to pro) or something else.   

 

 

 

ok thanks for the clarif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Golfquant said:

2 Ivy recruiting classes in the top 15 for 2024 (and #5 for 2025) is a regime change


Hate to break it to you but the only people who care about junior rankings are parents of junior kids.

 

End of the day it is a sport if you score well enough there is money to be had. The reality is those that score low enough play pro and those that can’t either go broke trying to get good enough or do something else.

 

no need to make it more complicated then that life is not like junior golf rankings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jayslaysongolf said:


Hate to break it to you but the only people who care about junior rankings are parents of junior kids.

 

End of the day it is a sport if you score well enough there is money to be had. The reality is those that score low enough play pro and those that can’t either go broke trying to get good enough or do something else.

 

no need to make it more complicated then that life is not like junior golf rankings.

who are you jayslaysongolf?

 

no one is talking about junior rankings (individual) - there is a broad trend towards Ivy schools getting better recruits across the board; define the metrics however you want

 

I am merely pointing that out and asking...is Ivy Golf-->pro next?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Golfquant said:

who are you jayslaysongolf?

 

no one is talking about junior rankings (individual) - there is a broad trend towards Ivy schools getting better recruits across the board; define the metrics however you want

 

I am merely pointing that out and asking...is Ivy Golf-->pro next?


You don’t get it do you.  The path to pro golf has nothing to do with where someone went to school.  
 

Honestly going to a IVY school seems like it open doors for a career other than pro golf.

 

A lot pro’s would kill to get a steady job that degree at a IVY league gets you.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Golfquant
 

I'm a bit confused about the purpose here. You kicked off the thread by questioning whether Ivy League golfers can or will turn pro. Yet, it feels like there's a predetermined stance, almost as if you're against differing viewpoints.

 

It seems you've already made up your mind, and that's okay. But why initiate this discussion then? Was the thread title more of a rhetorical query?

 

Congratulations if your child got into an Ivy! That's a remarkable achievement. If they're also involved in golf, we'd love to hear how it unfolds. Or perhaps your children are considering Ivies but also have aspirations to go pro in golf? Either way, we're eager to hear about their journey.

 

In a sport like golf or skiing, location often plays a crucial role.
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/06/24/pga-tour-tiger-woods-jack-nicklaus-brooks-koepka-rory-mcilroy-palm-beach-county/

 

Edited by mrshinsa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Monday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #2
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Keith Mitchell - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Rafa Campos - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      R Squared - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Martin Laird - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Paul Haley - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Min Woo Lee - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Austin Smotherman - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Sami Valimaki - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Eric Cole's newest custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      New Super Stroke Marvel comic themed grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Ben Taylor's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan's Axis 1 putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cameron putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Chris Kirk's new Callaway Opus wedges - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      ProTC irons - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Dragon Skin 360 grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cobra prototype putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      SeeMore putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 0 replies
    • 2024 PGA Championship - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put  any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 PGA Championship - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Michael Block - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Patrick Reed - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Brooks Koepka - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Josh Speight - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Takumi Kanaya - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Kyle Mendoza - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Adrian Meronk - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jordan Smith - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jeremy Wells - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jared Jones - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      John Somers - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Larkin Gross - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Tracy Phillips - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jon Rahm - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Keita Nakajima - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Kazuma Kobori - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      David Puig - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Ryan Van Velzen - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Ping putter covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Bettinardi covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Cameron putter covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Max Homa - Titleist 2 wood - 2024 PGA Championship
      Scotty Cameron experimental putter shaft by UST - 2024 PGA Championship
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 13 replies
    • 2024 Wells Fargo Championship - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Wells Fargo Championship - Monday #1
      2024 Wells Fargo Championship - Tuesday #1
      2024 Wells Fargo Championship - Tuesday #2
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Akshay Bhatia - WITB - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Matthieu Pavon - WITB - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Keegan Bradley - WITB - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Webb Simpson - WITB - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Emiliano Grillo - WITB - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Taylor Pendrith - WITB - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Rory McIlroy - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      New Cobra equipment truck - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Eric Cole's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Custom Cameron putter - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Matt Kuchar's custom Bettinardi - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Justin Thomas - driver change - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Rickie Fowler - putter change - 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Rickie Fowler's new custom Odyssey Jailbird 380 putter – 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Tommy Fleetwood testing a TaylorMade Spider Tour X (with custom neck) – 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
      Cobra Darkspeed Volition driver – 2024 Wells Fargo Championship
       
       
       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 2 replies
    • 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson - Monday #1
      2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson - Monday #2
      2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson - Tuesday #1
      2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson - Tuesday #2
      2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Pierceson Coody - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Kris Kim - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      David Nyfjall - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Adrien Dumont de Chassart - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Jarred Jetter - North Texas PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Richy Werenski - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Wesley Bryan - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Parker Coody - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Peter Kuest - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Blaine Hale, Jr. - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Kelly Kraft - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Rico Hoey - WITB - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
       
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Adam Scott's 2 new custom L.A.B. Golf putters - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Haha
        • Like
      • 11 replies
    • 2024 Zurich Classic - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Zurich Classic - Monday #1
      2024 Zurich Classic - Monday #2
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Alex Fitzpatrick - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Austin Cook - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Alejandro Tosti - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Davis Riley - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      MJ Daffue - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Nate Lashley - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      MJ Daffue's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Cameron putters - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Swag covers ( a few custom for Nick Hardy) - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Custom Bettinardi covers for Matt and Alex Fitzpatrick - 2024 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
      • 1 reply

×
×
  • Create New...