2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Am I the only one having trouble getting topics and pictures to load?

Page advance still not working

reply button still not coming up

Cally AIS TD 11.5* Ventus Black 5x

Cally AI Smoke TD 16* AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

Page advance still not working

reply button still not coming up

As suggested, I installed a Chrome Ad Blocker extension.  Seems to work.

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I'm at the point where more things don't work than do. Reply usually requires a refresh and even then it may not work, the Report function won't work at all. Even to post this I had to refrwsh twice.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

18 hours ago, Bad9 said:

I'm at the point where more things don't work than do. Reply usually requires a refresh and even then it may not work, the Report function won't work at all. Even to post this I had to refrwsh twice.

As much as I don't like adding extensions to my browser, the addition of the ad blocker got rid of all my issues with page advance, reply and other functions.

• Like 1

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

5 hours ago, Socrates said:

As much as I don't like adding extensions to my browser, the addition of the ad blocker got rid of all my issues with page advance, reply and other functions.

Me too. Added it not long after my post you quoted. huge difference.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Lazy Sunday before the PGA.

I am NOT a web language programmer/developer/whatever.

I DO have 30+ years of mainframe programming experience.

Looking at the (Chrome) source of this webpage, and googling some of the programming terms, it seems as though there are 4 instructions early on that prepares ad features.

References to Google (ads ?) and 3 other instructions to select an/the/those ad(s) to display. Note they do not appear to do anything to the page-rendering,,,,, YET.

Further on down, as the page rendering code continues, there appears to be an instruction that DOES "load/pull-in" the contents of a(the ?)  selected ad.

THIS is likely (unintentionally of course) the culprit.

According to Google AI, "adblocking" is described like this

"Ad blockers, such as AdBlock, work by comparing a user's web page requests to a database of known ad scripts, and blocking any that match. Ad blockers use predefined filter lists that contain patterns for common ad sizes, URLs, and other characteristics that are indicative of advertisements. When a request matches one of the filters, the request is blocked and the resource is not downloaded".

Basically, a storage area is allocated for the MAX size of an ad. If the ad "fetch" of an ad larger than the storage area allowed, is permitted to process, the ad "overlays" the area and typically overlays either executable code, or "constant/defined storage", which will certainly affect page rendering, and possibly more.

If the size of the ad is too large (and how much larger makes a difference as well), that would account for some features broken sometimes and more features broken other times.

Given that description, that would explain why adblocking works. The ad "pull" is blocked and the various features that would have been broken now work properly.

But net-net, as previously mentioned/suspected, it is the AD being loaded that is the problem, along with the coding not detecting and avoiding the situation.

Best guess ? There should be a way of pre-determining the size of the ad about to be loaded, and, if too large, simply do NOT load it (and notify the sponsor ?).

Been there, and had to fix that, many times over the years.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

13 hours ago, muniman said:

If I may ask, what ad blockers are you guys using for androids with the chrome browser? 

Not an Android user, but use the free Adblock that you can ad in as an extension to Chrome.

• Like 1

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

13 hours ago, muniman said:

If I may ask, what ad blockers are you guys using for androids with the chrome browser? 

13 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Not an Android user, but use the free Adblock that you can ad in as an extension to Chrome.

OS sometimes (often ?) doesn't matter.

Many browser extensions are available for many different browsers AND operating systems.

Adblock, I believe, is available for a lot of different combos.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

OS sometimes (often ?) doesn't matter.

Many browser extensions are available for many different browsers AND operating systems.

Adblock, I believe, is available for a lot of different combos.

Thank you gentlemen. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Ad blocker, made sure all software is updated, cleared cache, restarted multiple times, but still having issues (4 month old HP laptop, i7 processor, 32 GB RAM, Windows 11). Unfortunately with this website only which started maybe a month ago? Seems to be predominately where pictures load (classified section the worst), which most of the time pictures don't load at all. But it does happen on other sections, just more "tolerable". Never used to be an issue. I was an avid reader of the site, but now rarely go on because it is too frustrating. Praying for a fix!

5 hours ago, TrendingLower2 said:

I installed Ad blocker, made sure all software is updated, cleared cache, restarted multiple times, but still having issues (4 month old HP laptop, i7 processor, 32 GB RAM, Windows 11). Unfortunately with this website only which started maybe a month ago? Seems to be predominately where pictures load (classified section the worst), which most of the time pictures don't load at all. But it does happen on other sections, just more "tolerable". Never used to be an issue. I was an avid reader of the site, but now rarely go on because it is too frustrating. Praying for a fix!

Well, that's a pretty powerful machine so that's (probably) not the issue.

What browser are you using,,,,, and have you checked your internet speed (fast.com) ?

Ping Glide Pro 48*

9 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Well, that's a pretty powerful machine so that's (probably) not the issue.

What browser are you using,,,,, and have you checked your internet speed (fast.com) ?

I am using Chrome browser, and internet speed using fast.com is 480mbps. I guess GolfWRX doesn't like me because I can't drive it 300+

1 hour ago, TrendingLower2 said:

I am using Chrome browser, and internet speed using fast.com is 480mbps. I guess GolfWRX doesn't like me because I can't drive it 300+

FWIW, I ditched Chrome years ago for Firefox. While using FF, Chrome was impotent. So I deleted Chrome altogether.

For whatever reason my MAC &/or FF started crashing regularly.

The restarting of my machine and FF in particular were both taking way too long to boot up. FF was taking 5-7 minutes after the MAC had rebooted.

So, I decided to try reloading a new version of Chrom.

Now Chrome runs quickly so I've given up on FF.

Anyhow, in trying to optimize Chrome's performance, I set up its performance parameter as below. Additionally, Chrome might run better (faster) if you "added" golfwrx.com via the "add" button in the middle.

Might be worth a try.

image.png.717dd4ab74303c0d763caea8ec1c5ad2.png

Ping Glide Pro 48*

7 hours ago, nsxguy said:

FWIW, I ditched Chrome years ago for Firefox. While using FF, Chrome was impotent. So I deleted Chrome altogether.

For whatever reason my MAC &/or FF started crashing regularly.

The restarting of my machine and FF in particular were both taking way too long to boot up. FF was taking 5-7 minutes after the MAC had rebooted.

So, I decided to try reloading a new version of Chrom.

Now Chrome runs quickly so I've given up on FF.

Anyhow, in trying to optimize Chrome's performance, I set up its performance parameter as below. Additionally, Chrome might run better (faster) if you "added" golfwrx.com via the "add" button in the middle.

Might be worth a try.

image.png.717dd4ab74303c0d763caea8ec1c5ad2.png

Your suggestion above has helped greatly so far! Pictures still don't load too quickly (if at all), and the freezing has lessened. But at least I am able to navigate sections with no pictures mostly as normal. Probably a blessing in disguise since it will keep me from browsing the classified ads.

Thank you for the help!

4 hours ago, TrendingLower2 said:

Your suggestion above has helped greatly so far! Pictures still don't load too quickly (if at all), and the freezing has lessened. But at least I am able to navigate sections with no pictures mostly as normal. Probably a blessing in disguise since it will keep me from browsing the classified ads.

Thank you for the help!

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Did you happen to "add" golfwrx.com to that middle section ? I haven't had to do it but I was wondering.

You might further want to download the 2 adblock extensions, as suggested by a board admin - killing ads may help a lot more. 

Ping Glide Pro 48*

8 hours ago, nsxguy said:

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Did you happen to "add" golfwrx.com to that middle section ? I haven't had to do it but I was wondering.

You might further want to download the 2 adblock extensions, as suggested by a board admin - killing ads may help a lot more. 

Yes, I did "add" golfwrx.com in memory saver and had prior installed one of the ad blockers. The ad blocker by itself didn't really help. It was after the memory saver add that made the biggest difference.

That said, I am still having the most problems with the Classified Ads section where it is picture heavy. The pictures take a long time to load, and don't all load. I also experience freezing when going back from a particular ad to the page list. 

1 hour ago, TrendingLower2 said:

Yes, I did "add" golfwrx.com in memory saver and had prior installed one of the ad blockers. The ad blocker by itself didn't really help. It was after the memory saver add that made the biggest difference.

That said, I am still having the most problems with the Classified Ads section where it is picture heavy. The pictures take a long time to load, and don't all load. I also experience freezing when going back from a particular ad to the page list. 

On the pic I posted, I notice I did NOT have "Speed" "Preload Pages" turned "on". You might want to do that.

Also, there are 2 Adblock extensions. You might want to download the "other" one as well as the first.

On other thing. This always caused me problems in Firefox when the cache got full, but doesn't seem to be much of an issue in Chrome - but you might want to check it out.

In "Settings", click on Privacy & Security (to the left), then click on "Clear Browsing Data".

Careful with the next step so you don't clear out anything you want to KEEP. Frankly, I ONLY clear out the "Cache". I WANT all that other stuff.

So I UNcheck everything first, then I CHECK "Cached Images and Files".

Then I click on "Clear Data". Cache cleared making room for more.

Now you may want to experiment with this setting/clearing as it's possible that in reading threads with a lot of pics, like BST, the pics may be held in this cache and when you re-look at those threads, they MAY load faster if you KEEP that cache - so mess around with that a bit & see what happens.

As mentioned, in FF the cache built up to its max and then, while AT its max, seemed to clog up FF - until I cleared the cache.

Chrome MAY work a bit differently with that setting as I've been using Chrome for a couple of weeks now and haven't experienced the issues you have.

Good luck.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

23 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

On the pic I posted, I notice I did NOT have "Speed" "Preload Pages" turned "on". You might want to do that.

Also, there are 2 Adblock extensions. You might want to download the "other" one as well as the first.

On other thing. This always caused me problems in Firefox when the cache got full, but doesn't seem to be much of an issue in Chrome - but you might want to check it out.

In "Settings", click on Privacy & Security (to the left), then click on "Clear Browsing Data".

Careful with the next step so you don't clear out anything you want to KEEP. Frankly, I ONLY clear out the "Cache". I WANT all that other stuff.

So I UNcheck everything first, then I CHECK "Cached Images and Files".

Then I click on "Clear Data". Cache cleared making room for more.

Now you may want to experiment with this setting/clearing as it's possible that in reading threads with a lot of pics, like BST, the pics may be held in this cache and when you re-look at those threads, they MAY load faster if you KEEP that cache - so mess around with that a bit & see what happens.

As mentioned, in FF the cache built up to its max and then, while AT its max, seemed to clog up FF - until I cleared the cache.

Chrome MAY work a bit differently with that setting as I've been using Chrome for a couple of weeks now and haven't experienced the issues you have.

Good luck.

I had already done all of your above suggestions. I'll look back and see which other ad blocker I should add. 

Thanks again for all the help and patience!

• Like 1