Alternative to my favorite club, need suggestions!

firehole

The good:

Got a Stealth 2 Plus 3h with kaili white 90x last year. Never had a hybrid that I clicked with but it quickly became a club I can rely on and my lady dubbed it my “magic club”. Love it off the tee, fairway, and even lighter/shorter rough. It’s my 235-255 club (now I pretty much don’t ever use my 3w off the deck anymore). Liked it so much even ordered a matching 4h that I swap between my 4i depending on the course and weather and that has been great as well. 

The bad:

This doesn’t happen always but, If I catch one out in the toe or high on the face it can come out as a low spin knuckle ball, same with playing in the morning with grass and deeper rough regardless of strike. Also, the stealth 2 plus it’s the most forgiving hybrid and requires a good strike.

The search:

I’m asking for suggestions that are more forgiving on strike as well as out of wet grass and rough, in order to keep height and spin up. I get plenty of height and spin on a good strike and decent lie, just need more help on less than ideal conditions. I have come to prefer hybrid length clubs over fw’s, so hybrids would be preferred but am open to anything, as long as it has a deep face. I am a mid/high spin player but live and play at 7k elevation so having some extra spin helps control the ball, but please no 7 woods as I’ve been down that path already.

One last thing: I’m not getting rid of my 3h. This new club will just be an alternative to my 3h. It’s pretty windy where I play so the 3h/4i will continue to be me go to, then switch to the ?/4h when the rough is deep and it’s wet. Thanks for the help!

I have found that PING hybrids tend to be deep face enough, while also launching high and keeping up spin.  In fact, they are the ones who coined the term Spinsistency.  They will probably (no guarantee) be a bit more forgiving on toe strikes than your current hybrid, but that could also come down to individuals.  Nothing says two clubs would behave the same for me as they would for anyone else.

Have you considered the option of a really chunky driving iron?  It's possible that on misses, especially left and right on the face, that you'd get less curve.  Just guestimating your speed (90x shaft in a 3h), you probably would have enough speed for a chunky DI to get it up in the air.  Personally, I really really like the 2021 Titleist U505 in the 22* loft option.  Launches super high, but I can keep it down too.  Good off the tee, good off the turf, and I also use it to gouge out of some rough.  It's maybe not as good out of the rough as a real hybrid, but I have found it serviceable.  A very good all-rounder.

Others might suggest any of the Max versions of recent Callaway hybrids too.  But those tend to be a little shallower in order to help with launch.  Some might even suggest a 21* of the Callaway UW.  Most folks find it flies farther than an equivalent lofted hybrid, so 21 might be the best bet for your gapping.  They tend to fly lower, so again, the 21 might be a good fit.  Not really sure how forgiving they are with strike though.

And finally, maybe the "non-plus" version of the Taylormade hybrid/rescue would be good too since you know you like your current version.  A benefit here is basically plug and play from one day to the next with a minimal change in looks/playability.  Pretty seamless I think.

I imagine you will get a ton of suggestions, so it's a matter of which one resonates with your game the best.  

• Like 1

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

2 hours ago, firehole said:

The good:

Got a Stealth 2 Plus 3h with kaili white 90x last year. Never had a hybrid that I clicked with but it quickly became a club I can rely on and my lady dubbed it my “magic club”. Love it off the tee, fairway, and even lighter/shorter rough. It’s my 235-255 club (now I pretty much don’t ever use my 3w off the deck anymore). Liked it so much even ordered a matching 4h that I swap between my 4i depending on the course and weather and that has been great as well. 

The bad:

This doesn’t happen always but, If I catch one out in the toe or high on the face it can come out as a low spin knuckle ball, same with playing in the morning with grass and deeper rough regardless of strike. Also, the stealth 2 plus it’s the most forgiving hybrid and requires a good strike.

The search:

I’m asking for suggestions that are more forgiving on strike as well as out of wet grass and rough, in order to keep height and spin up. I get plenty of height and spin on a good strike and decent lie, just need more help on less than ideal conditions. I have come to prefer hybrid length clubs over fw’s, so hybrids would be preferred but am open to anything, as long as it has a deep face. I am a mid/high spin player but live and play at 7k elevation so having some extra spin helps control the ball, but please no 7 woods as I’ve been down that path already.

One last thing: I’m not getting rid of my 3h. This new club will just be an alternative to my 3h. It’s pretty windy where I play so the 3h/4i will continue to be me go to, then switch to the ?/4h when the rough is deep and it’s wet. Thanks for the help!

7wd….. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

UW for sure.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Pings are really easy to hit and are consistent out of all kinds of lies. But, I wouldn’t say they are deep faced. 
Have you considered the TSR2? It’s a big hybrid but it is still nicely shaped. It is very easy to hit out of various lies. Ball speed is good.
Trajectory is high but in a good way. It wants to launch; a Titleist rep. at a demo event told me it was designed to benefit sweepers so it must have a low and rearward center of gravity? 
I usually play a Ping but I have a TSR2 that I also play from time to time depending on the course. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

7 hours ago, PJE said:

Pings are really easy to hit and are consistent out of all kinds of lies. But, I wouldn’t say they are deep faced. 
Have you considered the TSR2? It’s a big hybrid but it is still nicely shaped. It is very easy to hit out of various lies. Ball speed is good.
Trajectory is high but in a good way. It wants to launch; a Titleist rep. at a demo event told me it was designed to benefit sweepers so it must have a low and rearward center of gravity? 
I usually play a Ping but I have a TSR2 that I also play from time to time depending on the course. 

Would you mind comparing the Ping and tsr2 for me?

On 6/14/2024 at 9:54 AM, firehole said:

The good:

The bad:

The search:

If the rough is deep and wet I hit a really hard 6 or 7 iron. Gets up in the air faster than the lower lofted hybrid and it runs from the flyer lie. Gives up very little distance to a hybrid.

I was fitted at Club Champion for irons that would allow me to hit and hold tiny Par 3 or executive course greens.  First the shaft for descent angle and then fine tuning with the club head.

It helps that my stock shot is  very consistent high fade.  I can hold greens with cheap 2 piece balls but I play   better with expensive urethane  covered  balls.

It helps to work work the ball so it lands in a hollow and bounces uphill.  I play much better when I think that way compared to "center of green."

Sort of like playing checkers when you know how to intimidate your opponents playing chess.

I had  more fun playing that way versus studying Chess Books.

Edited by ShortGolfer

15 hours ago, firehole said:

I can post comparison photos tomorrow for you. We had a small problem and I had to go out of town on short notice. 

On 6/16/2024 at 6:44 AM, firehole said:

See the photos. The TSR2 has a little shorter blade length and it’s a little deeper faced than the Ping. It kind of looks like a little fat fairway wood. 
For me, I hit the Ping on a lower launching and flatter trajectory. But the TSR2 launches high and goes long too. 
Note: This is a G425 hybrid but the 430 is similar. IMG_2941.jpeg.4d55fb1745f1d6f215b05bf579f1f3b0.jpeg

IMG_2938.jpeg

IMG_2937.jpeg

IMG_2940.jpeg

Edited by PJE
  • Thanks 2

21* Callaway Apex UW and the TSR2 sound like they would make sense for what you're looking for. The UW launches a mile in the air in 21* and generally goes the same distance as most 18-19* hybrids. I found the newer UW to launch higher and be more friendly to hit than the older UW.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Srixon ZX 4H

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-A

Callaway JAWS 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2