2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie vs Golf logix

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about the Golf Logix unit to make a comparison. However, I have had the SkyCaddie SG2 for the last 4 seasons and it works very well. I would suggest you consider either their SG2.5 or the SG5. The 3 and 4 are just relabeled Magellan units and from various reports I have read, they have had a lot of problems with them. The 2.5 and the 5 use a different source for the GPS technology and gets back to or improves upon the original technology and dependability for which they became known. SkyGolf's customer service receives a lot of complaints but given the size of their customer base that might be understandable.

Having sung their praises, I just replaced my SG2 with the Golf Guru. Any SkyCaddie replacement had to have something comparable to the Intelligreen feature, which the Golf Guru does. The Golf Guru can also pick up more satellites and is WAAS enabled leading to better accuracy, a common complaint of the rangefinder proponents. The Golf Guru is from a US based company (Austin, TX) and their customer service has gotten rave reviews. There is no subscription fee for courses until January 2011 they say. One drawback with anyone new to the party is a limited course database compared to SkyGolf. I will say that I found 29 courses within 20 miles of my zip code and only one course that I would have occasion to play that was not already mapped. They are working on a software upgrade that will also allow editing of downloaded courses so you can really personalize the courses to the way you play them. $249 on their website but a little less direct from them on eBay.

Have only used a skycaddie - but I agree with the previous comments - I started my Skycaddie adventure with a SC 2 - loved it - then moved to a SC 4 and HATED it - could not hold a signal to save it's life - dumped it - and went with a SC 5 - and love it again - used it several times - picks up and holds signals with no issue - accuracy seems very good - and I love the Onyx color scheme you can download for it - not to mention it has all the courses I would hope for my play.

The main difference is simplicity vs information. The new Golflogix GPS-8 gives me every basic piece of info I need and doesn't take me out of my game with pushing buttons. I'm a 6 h/c and fairly accurate but not so exact that the benefits of Intelligreen outweigh the distractions.

Skycaddie gives more info and requires more effort - not much more effort, but enough to make me aware of it as a separate activity. I've avoided rangefinders for the same reason.

Golflogix's constant, self-updating readout doesn't disrupt the flow of my game. It's simplicity squares up with my semi-purist attitudes toward golf and my easily-confused brain.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I bought the SG 2.5 and have been extremely happy with it.

Only differences from the SG5.0

black and white vs color

smaller so you see 3 lines of data vs 4 lines (not less data...but must scroll to see 4th line if desired)

price 249 (on line...see link --->) vs 429 for the SG5.0 http://www.discountgolfworld.com/products/...ddie-sg2.5.html

haven't used the skycaddie, buddy swears by it, but like 8thehardway I have the golflogix unit, first gen and now 2nd gen unit. 2nd gen unit has a bit more features then the 1st gen unit, last shot distance, more course 20 instead of 10 automatic course location no need to scroll to course in memory, hazards layup more sensitive to satellites. Easy to use, good customer service,

plus I got the 2nd gen unit for basically half the cost with shipping came out to $156, since I had the first unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried GolfLogix on my Blackberry and liked it alot. Its very accurate, knows what hole your on and advances thru to the next hole when you leave the green of the previous hole. I didn't like the stats tracker so I will continue to use pencil and paper for that.

Sort of offtopic: If I had $400 to blow I would get a Callaway uPro! :lol:

[quote name='8thehardway' post='997493' date='Mar 31 2008, 09:22 PM']Skycaddie gives more info and requires more effort - not much more effort, but enough to make me aware of it as a separate activity. I've avoided rangefinders for the same reason.[/quote]
More effort?? More effort than walking off yardages? More effort than seeking out sprinkler heads? How hard is it to push a button????

S-

Ok... long story; hopefully it helps you decide. First, I have a GolfLogix 8.

But... my decision to buy one was solely based on price. The local GolfUSA was going under and they offered to sell me their demo unit (which they weren't sure I would be able to register) for 75 bucks. At the time I would have picked Skycaddie as I know it offered more features, but I wasn't in the market really (as I was using a Nikon 500G) and just bought it because of the amazing deal.

It wasn't long before it totally replaced the Nikon.

After I was hooked on GPS, The golf course shop got the uPro's in, which I thought were way cool. But after using it (and a couple of other more feature laden models) I came to the following conclusions:

1.) The Golflogix gives me all the info I need, actually more than I need.

2.) It is so simple, I never need to think about it (and I have enough to think about on the course). In fact I don't even have to touch it. I don't even have to explain it to my playing partners... it just hangs from my bag, is always on, and always on the right screen automatically, and they just know to look at it to get a yardage

3.) Regarding the hang from my bag statement above... the unit is based on the Garmin eTrex series and is waterproof, shockproof, rubber encased, and has a lens over the display that is very hard to scratch. I always just hang it from my bag, and have literally thrown it on the ground next to my ball and it doesn't have a mark on it.

4.) I wear Rx polarized bifocal sunglasses on the course. These have a tendency to make some displays hard to read. The large monochrome text on the GL is easy to read under any light and from almost any angle.

5.) I love the fact it runs on AA batteries. I keep a pair in my bag and never have to worry about charging a rechargeable unit.

6.) When I didn't have it, I thought I wanted a GPS that would let me enter my scores, measure my clubs, stats, etc., but after trying a couple of apps for my iPhone that finally did this (some of them were very good), I quickly came to the conclusion that pencil and paper was simpler. Since getting used to the GolfLogix, every other device just seemed unnecessarily complicated.

Disclaimer: The GolfLogix was the device I became used to "first". Perhaps if it was another unit I would have grown accustomed to a feature I would not be able to live without (like the Golflogix's simplicity) so YMMV.