can u beat a scratch golfer?

spacedust

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did talk to him on the phone before the last match was cancelled because of the rain and he is a great guys and seems to be a soild golfer... From the scores he shared with me I would said he is a SOILD 8-10 Capper. Maybe he is busy but I think we will hear from him again, I'm game for a match when ever he is ready.

I would call him if I still has his number but I did not save the number.

Chuck

Can't wait to hear the results. Glad you have returned spacedust! Now get out there and win the match.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

This is the best thread i have read yet. I can empathize with your competitive streak. That being said, what charity did you pick to have your 100 bucks? Not to rain on your parade, but bro you are probably going to get smoked. I have done this myself before. I can hang around 78-84 usually from the blues on my course (about 7k yards) and i played a family friend who was a scratch from the tips with me at the reds. I didnt give this idea of playing from the reds a test run, and my lack of planning hurt me bad. Once i realized he was going to hang around 1 under all day, I got a little greedy on the par 4's with the driver and tried to hit all the par 5's in two. I had to make birdies...bottom line. I couldnt sit back and try to make 15 footers all day...it wasnt happening. The par 3's didnt play much easier than they did from the blues...maybe an average of 35 yards per hole, but still tight pins/fast greens etc. I think i could've played to my best yardage (about 75-100 yds out) all day and still not beat him. he shot 70 and smacked me up by 6. Bad idea on my part.

If you manage the course well and putt great you may have a chance...odds are better that ill be snowboarding in Baghdad before it happens.

That being said-

GOOD LUCK! (seriously)

i've said it before and i'll say it again.....

a 10 handicapper is a 10 handicapper because of one thing......SHORT GAME......not because the course is too long.

even you get an extra 50 yards a hole....you still have to hit greens and putt. if you miss the green...you have to have a solid short game and then putt.

spacey says the best part of his game is 100 and in....

this is relative because none of us know spacey. what he says is a good short game for him could be utter shite to someone else.

on paper...scratch off the tips and 10-cap of the front box......scratch beats him. none of us know the games of either one of them. till this thing happens....speculation all around.

Seems to me like the question is almost answered by just referring to the course ratings for each set of tee boxes. You typically only gain a couple strokes by moving up a tee box, probably not more than 5 by moving to the reds. The rationale is exactly what most people on this thread are saying - distance is only a part of the overall scoring equation. Most of the difference is in the short game.

What if, for argument's sake, Spacey is a 10 handicap because he is very short in terms of distance but he has a great short game? For example, what if he can only hit a drive 175 yards max and he therefore is a 10 because most regular length par 4's are normally not reachable in 2 for him. If this were the case, then I would say that he has a good chance.

That having been said, I'm about a 10 and there is no way I would shoot par from the red tees on a normal day since my chipping and putting suck.

Ping G425 Max 9* 
Bridgestone HF1
Eidolon 57*
Lab DF 2.1

What if, for argument's sake, Spacey is a 10 handicap because he is very short in terms of distance but he has a great short game? For example, what if he can only hit a drive 175 yards max and he therefore is a 10 because most regular length par 4's are normally not reachable in 2 for him. If this were the case, then I would say that he has a good chance.

That having been said, I'm about a 10 and there is no way I would shoot par from the red tees on a normal day since my chipping and putting suck.

Maybe not. But why are you chipping and putting badly? Might it be because your long and middle iron play is putting too much pressure on your short game?

If that is the case, hitting short irons into the green from the more forward position the red tees offer you after the tee shot might be the thing that could improve your short game the most on a given day.

The more I analyze my own game, the more important GIRs seem to be. If I hit a short iron to 10 feet or less, I have a legitimate birdie chance -- and, if my lag putting is good as well, a virtually certain par if I can short-putt within reason. No reason why Spacedust couldn't do that, either. I think he has a chance -- but he has to hit greens from middle iron positions and be within 10 feet of the hole with 8i-LW approaches.

What if, for the argument's sake, Spacey is a 10 handicap because he is very short in term of distance but he has a great short game? For example, what if he can only hit a drive 175 yards max and he therefore is a 10 because most regular length par 4's are normally not reachable in 2 for him. If this were the case, then I would say that he has a good chance.

if spacey is a 75 y/o woman.....then your theory could ring true. but not many 75 y/o women....or any 10-cap woman for that matter....heck....i'll lump in anyone i know that can only drive the ball 175 yards would be willing to make that bet.

i am rooting for this round to happen. i wish spacey all the luck in the world. imo, knowing what we know....he needs it.

What if, for the argument's sake, Spacey is a 10 handicap because he is very short in term of distance but he has a great short game? For example, what if he can only hit a drive 175 yards max and he therefore is a 10 because most regular length par 4's are normally not reachable in 2 for him. If this were the case, then I would say that he has a good chance.

if spacey is a 75 y/o woman.....then your theory could ring true. but not many 75 y/o women....or any 10-cap woman for that matter....heck....i'll lump in anyone i know that can only drive the ball 175 yards would be willing to make that bet.

i am rooting for this round to happen. i wish spacey all the luck in the world. imo, knowing what we know....he needs it.

I've played with a couple of older gentlemen that were in the 6-8 handicap range that could get up and down from 100 yards with their eyes closed- but just didn't have the distance to reach full length men's holes in regulation anymore. It was quite an impressive sight to see.

Again, I'm not saying that this is the case with Spacey-- I was just stating a scenario in which it would not be far fetched to believe that a 8-10 handicapper could seriously benefit from moving up to the front tees.

Can't wait to see the results of this... if it ever happens.

Ping G425 Max 9* 
Bridgestone HF1
Eidolon 57*
Lab DF 2.1

How about this offer. If Spacey provides us attested scores from his most recent ten rounds that prove he really is a 10 handicap...we can bet him the airfare. If he beats the scratch on a neutral course from the ladies, our collective treat. He loses, he pays his own way.

By the way, this month's GD has a GREAT article about the "typical" 10 handicap. I'm wondering if Spacey isn't a plant from the GD folks just to do a preview of their articles...lots of interesting info in the article.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/usopenc...?printable=true

"WHAT DOES A 10-HANDICAPPER USUALLY SHOOT?

Don't count on 10s shooting 10 strokes over par on demand. Because the high 10 results of the last 20 are thrown out, there's only a 50-percent chance they'll shoot near it. With that, a 10-handicapper playing a course with a reasonably difficult 72.0 Course Rating will, on a good day, shoot within three strokes of 84. Expect some variance, but not much -- research has shown that players shoot lower than their handicaps only once every five rounds, and they beat their handicap by three strokes once every 20 rounds. The odds of someone beating a handicap by eight strokes are 1,138-to-1.

Even without seeing 10-handicappers play, you can make some assessments about their game. They almost surely drive the ball at least 200 yards; if they were any shorter, they couldn't reach the par 4s in two and wouldn't make as many pars as they do. Most 10s usually get out of sand in one try. They possess some course-management skills; they are more apt than a high-handicapper to choose enough club to get over a pond in front of the green. They also are decent putters, especially from long range -- because they don't hit their iron shots close to the hole, they lag their approach putts close enough to save a lot of pars. Most 10s got there in part from experience, and their extensive exposure to the game has given them a passable knowledge of the rules. "

I still believe that based on all that Spacey has said about his play, he's far from a 10, much closer to a 5 or 6 handicap. For my club, we'd just call him the typical sandbagger.

Tim