2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

can u beat a scratch golfer?

spacedust

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I attempted to stage the bet between myself (+1.5 USGA handicap) and a buddy (-7 USGA handicap) but the best that I could get was us BOTH playing forward. When I proffered up the bet he said, "F--- You, I'm not playing the sissy tees while you hit from the tips, are you stupid?" So I offered for us both to play from the senior tees and that we just play normal handicapped medal play over 18. Bet was the bar tab. I gave him 10 shots (five a side). I won by 3 shots net and 13 gross and had a great burger, onion rings, 2 sierra nevadas, and a bud light (around $25 after tip/tax). The men's rating from the senior tees is 68.5/117 (6000 yd par 71) slope. I shot 69 and he shot 82. The course is a 72 rating 131 slope (6900 yd par 71) from the backs and my average score from the tips the past 10 rounds has been 72 while his average was around 81.

In order to "mimic" the bet we thought Spacey would pull off sometime in the past 4 months, I attempted to play whatever club I needed to hit the spot I might hit from the tips (par 5s and 4s). So, I hit zero drivers, a bunch of 3/4 irons, and the odd 6 or 7 iron off the tee. This slightly skews the bet because I hit 12 fairways, when my average on the course is around 10 from the tips...I'm a great driver of the ball and tee shots are my key strength, but even on my best day I don't have these kinds of A-1 positions off the tee. Nonetheless, I still hit 13 greens, which is about my average on this course. The par 3s were tough from way up cause I had never played them there and was WAY too aggressive on my tee shots...hitting just 1 of 4 greens on these surprisingly challenging holes.

The match was predictable. My 7 handicap buddy still chunked, skulled, and shanked a lot of short shots. He hit fewer greens than normal cause he was basically at uncomfortable distances, angles, and lies for nearly every approach. He attempted on the first five holes to play to his "distances," but truth be told, he doesn't really have comfortable "distances..." so that was a crap shoot. I was giving him a hard time about how despite having between 100 and 130 into each of the first 4 holes he had hit zero greens and that he would be much better just trying to drive it close and chip it to a good spot on/near a green. Well he started to do this at the end of the round and made a nice run and finish at the end with 2 birdies and 2 pars in the final 4. Too little too late. He's still a CHOKING dog putter. Missed a LOT of 4 - 8 foot flat putts.

So, in the end, I couldn't quite replicate the bet exactly as we had hoped, but there you go. It was fun. I got what I expected and a great meal. My buddy, he hated it. He paid the bar bill and said, "next time we're playing from the tips, normal strokes."

Cheers,

Tim

Seems very silly to "reply and quote" myself. But I think this bet that I did was as close as we'll get to the Spacey experiment. In the end it is all irrelevant anyway because Spacey turns out to be about a 6 handicap, probably lower, who sand bags and lies about being a 10.

Cheers,

Tim

Well I attempted to stage the bet between myself (+1.5 USGA handicap) and a buddy (-7 USGA handicap) but the best that I could get was us BOTH playing forward. When I proffered up the bet he said, "F--- You, I'm not playing the sissy tees while you hit from the tips, are you stupid?" So I offered for us both to play from the senior tees and that we just play normal handicapped medal play over 18. Bet was the bar tab. I gave him 10 shots (five a side). I won by 3 shots net and 13 gross and had a great burger, onion rings, 2 sierra nevadas, and a bud light (around $25 after tip/tax). The men's rating from the senior tees is 68.5/117 (6000 yd par 71) slope. I shot 69 and he shot 82. The course is a 72 rating 131 slope (6900 yd par 71) from the backs and my average score from the tips the past 10 rounds has been 72 while his average was around 81.

In order to "mimic" the bet we thought Spacey would pull off sometime in the past 4 months, I attempted to play whatever club I needed to hit the spot I might hit from the tips (par 5s and 4s). So, I hit zero drivers, a bunch of 3/4 irons, and the odd 6 or 7 iron off the tee. This slightly skews the bet because I hit 12 fairways, when my average on the course is around 10 from the tips...I'm a great driver of the ball and tee shots are my key strength, but even on my best day I don't have these kinds of A-1 positions off the tee. Nonetheless, I still hit 13 greens, which is about my average on this course. The par 3s were tough from way up cause I had never played them there and was WAY too aggressive on my tee shots...hitting just 1 of 4 greens on these surprisingly challenging holes.

The match was predictable. My 7 handicap buddy still chunked, skulled, and shanked a lot of short shots. He hit fewer greens than normal cause he was basically at uncomfortable distances, angles, and lies for nearly every approach. He attempted on the first five holes to play to his "distances," but truth be told, he doesn't really have comfortable "distances..." so that was a crap shoot. I was giving him a hard time about how despite having between 100 and 130 into each of the first 4 holes he had hit zero greens and that he would be much better just trying to drive it close and chip it to a good spot on/near a green. Well he started to do this at the end of the round and made a nice run and finish at the end with 2 birdies and 2 pars in the final 4. Too little too late. He's still a CHOKING dog putter. Missed a LOT of 4 - 8 foot flat putts.

So, in the end, I couldn't quite replicate the bet exactly as we had hoped, but there you go. It was fun. I got what I expected and a great meal. My buddy, he hated it. He paid the bar bill and said, "next time we're playing from the tips, normal strokes."

Cheers,

Tim

Seems very silly to "reply and quote" myself. But I think this bet that I did was as close as we'll get to the Spacey experiment. In the end it is all irrelevant anyway because Spacey turns out to be about a 6 handicap, probably lower, who sand bags and lies about being a 10.

Cheers,

Tim

The two Sierra Nevadas would have been $25 in my neck of the woods!

That's awesome, I would have got some mozzarella sticks too. Maybe some buffalo wings! LOL

I too found this thread intriquing and disappointed it hasn't yet come to fruition, that being said, I am a solid 10 handicapper myself and would welcome any scratch players in the south Georgia area to give this challenge a try. I am not as optimistic as spacey because I have played in many scramble tourneys in my day and I know that just because I am hitting a wedge doesn't guarantee a par.

Also, as a 10 handicapp with an official USGA handicap, I do believe low scores are possible from spacey. Two weeks ago I just posted my low career round (a 73, thank you very much) on my home course where I had also posted a 92 just two weeks before that.

I am able to play anywhere in the south georgia/hilton head area for any scratch golfers who are willing to accept!

I am glad someoen got a match out of this, even if it was not the intended front tees/tips difference we were waiting for (thanks to the ego of the 7 handicapper in this case).

Like others, I am annoyed that I wasted so much time sifting through 13 pages on here with no actual action taking place.

These guys have every excuse in the book. Unbelievable!

I think I will not return to this thread because I am pretty sure the match will never take place. Someone may have a hangnail next and be unable to play. Or maybe it will be cloudy and that hurts the visibility. Or maybe the sun will be too bright.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

• 2 months later...

i'm a 10 and my bros a 2 and he gave me 3 strokes (one on front, 2 on back) took him 1 up through a full 18 and won round one. next day, both of us playin from scratch, no strokes given, he had a good day and wooped my @$$ 7&5... after given me that 1 up lead won on day one. btw, i'm at the middles and hes at the backs. got some work to do there...

I play to an 8 and I beat a scratch by 4 strokes on Sunday in our member/member tournament. The "scratch" claims to be a 4 but everyone knows better. I shot 73, net 65 and he shot 77 net 73. That round tied my best round ever. I've been labeled as a sand bagger as a result.

I'm 99.9% certain that by definition a scratch golfer is 0.X index. Someone who claims to be a 4 would not be a "scratch" golfer.

• 4 weeks later...

I just joined this site about 4 hours ago. That's how long it took to read this thread. I love the site though. I've seen some people describe a "scratch" golfer as having an index of 5 or less. I think most people consider a scratch to be around 0 or better. I would consider a person with a 0.8 index to be a scratch golfer.

If I had known about this site a couple of months ago, then I could have set up a match like this at my club easily. There are plenty of 10-12 cappers that I know that would play that match just to do something different. However, the weather is not so good now and I think we'll have to wait till spring to find out. Unless, somebody in the southern states gets it done.

I just joined this site about 4 hours ago. That's how long it took to read this thread. I love the site though. I've seen some people describe a "scratch" golfer as having an index of 5 or less. I think most people consider a scratch to be around 0 or better. I would consider a person with a 0.8 index to be a scratch golfer.

If I had known about this site a couple of months ago, then I could have set up a match like this at my club easily. There are plenty of 10-12 cappers that I know that would play that match just to do something different. However, the weather is not so good now and I think we'll have to wait till spring to find out. Unless, somebody in the southern states gets it done.

Thanks for the compliment...er indirect compliment. My index is 0.8.

Thanks for the compliment...er indirect compliment. My index is 0.8.

I don't really think that there is much of a difference between a 0.0 and a 1.0. I don't even really think that there is much difference between a 0 and a 3. A 3 capper can still go low and definately has a lot of ability. It could just be a bad couple of weeks of ball striking or putter woes or anything golf related.

Sadly, the scratch golfer in question is now so old that osteoarthritis and dementia have taken hold and the question is now moot...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

• 1 month later...

I play in a 'money' game with about 16 guys every week and we have done this same thing a few times before. when all of our players have played from the red tees almost every player has shot right at his handicap. We have a former PGA pro in the group who carries about a 2 handicap and I recall him shooting about 74 or 75. You should ask for a few strokes and play from the big boy tees with your competitor. As a 12 handicap I would much rather compete from our back tees (6900+) than short ones.

Please let us know how it goes!!!

Good Luck.

I don't really think that there is much of a difference between a 0.0 and a 1.0. I don't even really think that there is much difference between a 0 and a 3. A 3 capper can still go low and definately has a lot of ability. It could just be a bad couple of weeks of ball striking or putter woes or anything golf related.

I would beg to differ on your 2nd point. There is a HUGE difference between a 0 and a 3 handicapper (I am the 3 and one of my buddies is a 0). Out of 10 rounds, playing the same tees, he wins about 6, we tie 2 and I win 2. The difference is on the greens. I outdrive him by 10-25 yards but once we are on the green he kicks my @ss. I average 30-32 putts a round, he averages 27-29 putts a round.

Also when I win, it is by one or two strokes, when he wins, he can win by as many as 6-7 strokes if he gets really hot with the flatstick.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

when all of our players have played from the red tees almost every player has shot right at his handicap.

Interesting that you bring this up. We got paired with a couple of seniors last week, so we played the senior tees with them. I figured it would give me a new perspective on the course. The yardage was VERY short, with all the par 5's coming in at less than 450! A couple of the par 4's were a reachable 270. So what did this amount to? My partner and I both shot our handicap. Not a stroke better. It was a glass of cold water in the face, and a reminder that short game is where scores are made. I'm a 15 from the tips, and a 15 from the red's.