2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

can u beat a scratch golfer?

spacedust

This distance thing is driving me crazy. Someone said earlier that shorter yardage does not mean lower scores. YES IT DOES. Maybe not in that one round but if you play a 7000 yard course 10 times and then play a 5300 yard course 10 times the scores will be drastically lower. I shoot around par on every golf course in my area. Most are easier and play somewhere between 6600 and 7000. I go to Myrtle beach every year and we pay full price so we play the full course. I broke 80 twice out there one 78 and one 79. There is a big difference in 35 yards that someone said was no difference earlier. That is the difference in hitting a 4 iron to a green or an 8 iron. NOBODY here or on tour for that matter can tell me they are more consistent with a 4 iron than an 8 iron or for that matter an 8 iron versus a sand wedge. These statements are absolutely crazy. Now not playing the red tees much will make a difference but I promise you if you play a course that is 1700 yards shorter than normal your scores will be lower.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one here said that practicing on the shorter course wouldn't get you lower scores....

but simply moving up to the red tee box for a day doesn't automatically get you into scratch range.

spacey's original bet did not include putting in 10 practice rounds before he played. he said he could beat a scratch player from the red tee box. then they arranged for it to be on a neutral course where neither one had an advantage.

saying you can score lower from the front tee box simply because the yardage is shorter is like saying putting is the strongest part of your game and you can kick anyone's arse at "Crazy Dave's Putt-Putt Wunderland"

it just doesn't happen. i firmly believe that you shoot what you shoot because of the soundness of your game.....7200 yards...or 5500 yards. if you suck from 100 and in at 7200....that doesn't change from the chick tees.

good luck my friend.

Yeah u are right imsoscrabby,,,,,,, I guess nobody did say u dont score lower from shorter distance just because of distance or maybe I cant read. dont know

I will let you take me to any golf course in the world and I will put my house up against 20 thousand that my score from the red tees is lower than the score from the back tees. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. 1700 is at least 6 - 10 shots. Just as I said before,,,, nobody here is as good with a 4 iron as they are an 8 iron.

I will let you take me to any golf course in the world and I will put my house up against 20 thousand that my score from the red tees is lower than the score from the back tees. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. 1700 is at least 6 - 10 shots. Just as I said before,,,, nobody here is as good with a 4 iron as they are an 8 iron.

i smell a prop bet.

i smell a prop bet.

you are correct but can you play ten shots better from the red tees than you do from the Blues?

And you are also right I can not hit a four iron straighter than I can and eight iron but I can hit a four iron straighter and better than a lot of people can hit and eight iorn

I would love to see this match that is never going to happen happen so this argument could be over

I usually play with the same friend everytime I play golf. He's an 8 from the whites and I'm a +1 from the blues. I'll see if he will do this bet with me. I'll go 1 step off the back of the blue tees box and let him play the reds. I'll let you know what happens. He's actually a very good putter, but struggles with his long game. I could be in trouble.

what's your handicap?

On home course my handicap from several years ago was a 1.2 but on a good golf course as in myrtle beach courses playing it down from the back tees about a 7 probably. Last year we played 8 rounds out there,,,, scores were 78 79 81 81 82 83 83 85. I am agreeing with you that short game is a definate plus,,,, if it is good it helps anywhere but 1700 yards is a huge difference,,,,, I mean heck that is 6 great tee shots for tiger.

On home course my handicap from several years ago was a 1.2 but on a good golf course as in myrtle beach courses playing it down from the back tees about a 7 probably. Last year we played 8 rounds out there,,,, scores were 78 79 81 81 82 83 83 85. I am agreeing with you that short game is a definate plus,,,, if it is good it helps anywhere but 1700 yards is a huge difference,,,,, I mean heck that is 6 great tee shots for tiger.

we're not talking about tiger. we're talking about a 10 handicap (if he is one). i've said all of this before...but...

a ten handicap is not a ten handicap (in most cases) because of lack of distance. it's because of inconsistent ball striking....examples: lack of distance control (short/long), lack of ball control (ball flight pattern, left or right tenancies) etc....... and short game. maybe even bigger than short game is course management. throw them on a shorter course and they still spray the ball....but this time into territory of which they are not familiar. of course if you give them 10 practice rounds, they are going to learn where the trouble spots are and try to work themselves around them. a practice round is a practice round from 7000 or 5500.....all the same idea.

1700 yards shorter is a gift. but how does 10-handi accept his gift. does he have the bomb and gouge mentality or will he be very methodical in his shot planning.

i used to play in a regular group on Sundays with about 20 or so guys we all threw $20 into the pot.....range of handicaps from 2's to 16's. we had a standing rule that on the first of every month, everyone (to include me) starts on the gold tee box (3rd from the front, out of 4). If you win $21 or more, you move back the next week. $20 or less, stay where you are. Nothing won netted you a trip to the white tee box (5500'ish yards). It never failed that out of the group who stepped up to that tee box the next week.....all but one guy would still pull driver. I'd be sure to play close attention on scoring. You'd think they would score better....and on a few holes they did. But they still had a couple of blow-ups (an important trend to the 10 handicapper)....and still shot right around their average score. There is one guy who when he steps up to the white tee box, he takes driver and 3 wood out of play. Most the guys laugh at him for it because they think he's less of man for not "going for it....get in the hole" but he NEVER stays there more than a week. He wins his $$$$ and he's back on the gold the next week.

That guy though.....he's scratch.

we're not talking about tiger. we're talking about a 10 handicap (if he is one). i've said all of this before...but...

a ten handicap is not a ten handicap (in most cases) because of lack of distance. it's because of inconsistent ball striking....examples: lack of distance control (short/long), lack of ball control (ball flight pattern, left or right tenancies) etc....... and short game. maybe even bigger than short game is course management. throw them on a shorter course and they still spray the ball....but this time into territory of which they are not familiar. of course if you give them 10 practice rounds, they are going to learn where the trouble spots are and try to work themselves around them. a practice round is a practice round from 7000 or 5500.....all the same idea.

1700 yards shorter is a gift. but how does 10-handi accept his gift. does he have the bomb and gouge mentality or will he be very methodical in his shot planning.

i used to play in a regular group on Sundays with about 20 or so guys we all threw $20 into the pot.....range of handicaps from 2's to 16's. we had a standing rule that on the first of every month, everyone (to include me) starts on the gold tee box (3rd from the front, out of 4). If you win $21 or more, you move back the next week. $20 or less, stay where you are. Nothing won netted you a trip to the white tee box (5500'ish yards). It never failed that out of the group who stepped up to that tee box the next week.....all but one guy would still pull driver. I'd be sure to play close attention on scoring. You'd think they would score better....and on a few holes they did. But they still had a couple of blow-ups (an important trend to the 10 handicapper)....and still shot right around their average score. There is one guy who when he steps up to the white tee box, he takes driver and 3 wood out of play. Most the guys laugh at him for it because they think he's less of man for not "going for it....get in the hole" but he NEVER stays there more than a week. He wins his $$$$ and he's back on the gold the next week.

That guy though.....he's scratch.

Excellent points

They are good points and I agree with them but,,,,, You or anyone else can not tell me that you would not wager your life savings on one round on a course that you are used to from 1700 yards shorter. Sure you could play like a dipstick and blow up and have the worst day short game of your life but even then with a 1700 yard advantage the score is still going to be lower. This is crazy. And the Tiger statement was just a statement. I know we are not talking about him and by saying that,,,,, it probably more like 8 - 10 shots to make up 1700 yards instead of 6 for him.

I mean what you are saying is that a par 5. The exact same hole on a course is easier from 500 yards than it is from 350. That is silly , crazy, absurd and makes no sense what so ever. 1700 yards adds up to almost a 100 yards a hole,,,, give me a break people. You dont think a 10 handicap,,,, a scratch or a 18 handicap for that matter,,,,, u dont think they have alot better chance of making par on a 300 yard par 4 than a 400 yard one. Crazy. And you may be correct,,,,, the yardage may not give him the advantage to beat or tie a scratch but he it a huge spot and a true 10 handicap is gonna have a great chance. I am a 7 and if a scratch wants to spot me 1700 yards,,,,, I am gonna give him 3 shots and play. And yes I am a true 7.

My life savings is only about 700 bucks so it would not be that big of a sweat. But I would bet the house on the same golf course 2 days in a row that my score from the front tees is lower than the score from the back. And oh yeah I forgot. only about 70 percent of the house is mine,,,, bank still owns the rest.

Another bet just to throw in. One real good course near me. A long hitter,,,, crazy long,, hits it over 300 pretty consistently but wild told me that he would spot me 285 off the tee and let me drop my ball in the middle of the fairway and him play the whole golf course. Match play and our handicap is about the same. Good idea for him. I beat him 6 up. Totally off subjuct but something else to talk about.

scrabby,,,, you said earlier that you play the mens tees and beat the scratch men players or maybe you meant you beat some of the guys. You also mentioned you outdrive most of the men you play with. What is your handicap? and how far do you hit it? I do not kill the ball but average probably 255 - 260 and most men hit it fairly close to that distance and I have not seen many women that can hit it that far. Maybe you should be playing at the next level. And I dont care to bet ,,,,,,, its not gambling when you have a lock.

trust me. i'd love to play at the next level. there are some things that stand between me and that chance. sometimes other more important things exist. if i could drop the things that stand in the way and dedicate the time needed to groove my game...i have all the confidence in the world that i could compete at a professional level.

with all of that being said....i love those things that stand in the way. i wouldn't trade what i have for anything in the world. i am happy to spend my days playing the game i love, trying to get better, shooting the good scores and bad, teaching others what i have learned,.....growing the game. who knows....maybe some day i can follow the dream. but there are three others.... their dreams come before mine.

anyway....

i can shoot a 70 one day and a 90 the next. my scores currently hover at 78...couple below...couple above. these days, i get one maybe two rounds in a week. i spend more time on the range or in the shop. fair conditions...off the tee with roll....250-260. my longest drive ever measured, aided by firm conditions and some fairway slope....310. i logged a drive in RE/Max qualifying at 271. my three wood goes 225 and my five goes 205. i hit my 6 iron 146 yards. PW 100 yards. my numbers put me in the middle of the pack on the LPGA. The two biggest factors that hold me back are scoring and money.

the girls are out there....maybe not where you are, but they are there.....and they have game.

and i like to gamble...but i only gamble what i can lose. and you're right, it's not a bet if it's a lock. and you know they say about the only two things in life that are a lock...

good luck.

Yardage distances are impressive. Scores are good too. What are the distances of the courses that the LPGA play thier tourneys on? I know women can play ,,,,, I was in no way meaning that. I shoot about the same score as you on a good golf course. My putter is my downfall. I get over everything thinking I am gonna miss it and usually do. I have tied the course record at my home course of 60. Par 70 but is is only like 6400 yards. And not many out of bounds and no hazards. I am leaving for Myrtle Beach next wed so we will see how it goes.

Another bet just to throw in. One real good course near me. A long hitter,,,, crazy long,, hits it over 300 pretty consistently but wild told me that he would spot me 285 off the tee and let me drop my ball in the middle of the fairway and him play the whole golf course. Match play and our handicap is about the same. Good idea for him. I beat him 6 up. Totally off subjuct but something else to talk about.

the long hitter was just stupid why would he do that?

285 in the center of the fairway every tee shot. It is tough to play too bad from there...

Very true.

My dog could beat me over 18 from 285 in the middle of every fairway. And he's a crap putter.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2