2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

can u beat a scratch golfer?

spacedust

85 @ 6700 yds

it should be fun no matter the outcome. if we can do it great.

since you're on the scratch tour, do you know another scratch living in the new orleans area? if you do ask them if they are willing or have time for an exhibition match. tips vs reds. we'll play for green fee.

probably stonebridge golf course in the westbank.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spacey has a zero percent chance of winning if he is truly a mid eighties shooter and he's playing someone who's really scratch. zero percent....as in he would lose 100 out of 100 times.

thanks for your enthusiasm and encouragement. :shok: your sentiment has been conveyed multiple times by different individuals on this topic. i'm still not phased.

at those distances i don't think i can lose. and even if i do. its ok. we'll know how a mid 80's player stacks up against a scratch with the yardage advantage.

:wacko:

losing? me? from those distances? unless it happens, its hard for me to believe. :shok:

LOL

Guys what you have to understand that YES it's short from 4600 but....... With the water and waste area's he will HAVE to lay up and hit a wedge or more into holes: 2,5,6,9,10,18 (9 and 18 he will have to lay up with a iron.....)

The key to winning will be Putting and chipping.... If putting and short game is your best part then you I give you a 50/50 chance... 3ft putts become 10 ft putts undr pressure:) Anyway it's going to be a blast and fun to play!

As far a more scrach players I only know about 25 guys from the BR area, I play events in La,MS,AL..

Ps: 85 @ Grand is a GREAT score!!!!!!

Tempting to go for a crafty albatross putt on a couple of those 'par 5s' though...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Sorry about that.

British old chap.

'Double Eagle' in your parlance... :wacko:

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Spacey:

You have captured our imagination with this crazy thread. I have spoken out against your chances, and my opinion has not changed, but you are obviously a very nice person and are enthusiastic about golf, charity, and some other things, I bet. You have been criticized publicly, and yet you maintain your essential decency and dignity.

However, it is time to play someone, for something, somewhere.

I am now pulling for you. I said zero chance once upon a time, and still believe that, but hey, that missile hit the satellite, no? Maybe I'm completely turned around on this one too.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

For those that think it's going to be so easy to break par from a short course....

Next time you play a round, drop a ball on the 100 yard marker in the middle of the fairway and play that ball out hitting 2....

I'd wager that anybody 10 or over isn't going to break par.

They surely aren't going to be hitting 18 GIR from 100 yards....

And that's not even considering driving the ball to that point in the first place.

It is funny, a good majority of the higher caps think it's easy to break par simple because of distance....the scratch and low guys all realise it's all about the short game and putting.

That should say something no?

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Spacey:

You have captured our imagination with this crazy thread. I have spoken out against your chances, and my opinion has not changed, but you are obviously a very nice person and are enthusiastic about golf, charity, and some other things, I bet. You have been criticized publicly, and yet you maintain your essential decency and dignity.

However, it is time to play someone, for something, somewhere.

I am now pulling for you. I said zero chance once upon a time, and still believe that, but hey, that missile hit the satellite, no? Maybe I'm completely turned around on this one too.

:shok:

thanks,

i've been through a lot in my short time on earth. and i always try to keep things in perspective. I am a competitive person, because it gives me a rush and makes life more enjoyable. but i'm always gracious, winning or losing. even when my opponent isn't. No matter what, its still only a game. pride and ego may get bruised every once in a while. but nobody is going to get hurt or lose their house here.

if i win great, which i think i am. because going into competition, if you don't think you're goin win. you already lost. And i still say at those distances, i will crush a scratch playing from the tips.

yes, this thread is thought provoking and stirred mix feelings from everyone. which is great for the game that i'm passionate about. my clubs sit in my living room, my tv is always on the golf channel. i can be found putting or swinging my clubs when i can't sleep, sometimes at 2 or 3 in the morning.

yes, i would like to find out the results as much as anyone else. i am willing to play any scratch. but i only know of 1, and with our scheduling conflicts, its difficult to set up.

with Chuck being nice enough to play me, even with his extremely busy schedule. i'm very appreciative.

its not a matter of "if". its just a matter of "when".

and the sooner the better, schedule and weather permitting of coarse.

:wacko: :shok: :D

Great reply space! I always look for a challange myself I am in for strange matches.... It could be putt putt and I would fight to the death:). One thing is for sure, I decided to post on this thread last week because this guy REALLY wants to see where he ranks and I feel the same passion for GOLF. If I can help him in ANY way and it's a plus he is close to me !!!!! I have NEVER posted I would win or lose only that it depends on which CHUCK shows up to play(the even or under par chuck who has been MIA this year so far... Or the couple over par chuck that seems the norm lately) No matter what, We are going to have a great time and he will enjoy the course. Also I'll make a point to come to NO and play his course next time only to be fair(I'm always looking for a excuse to play TPC). Also Lunch will be on me @ the turn for the trouble of him have to drive to play! Space plan on saturday and I'll update you if anything changes! Call me if you need directions buddy

I will be flying out of state this afternoon on a work trip and will return on thursday, I'll try and keep up with the thread on the blackberry while i'm out...

Take care

For those that think it's going to be so easy to break par from a short course....

Next time you play a round, drop a ball on the 100 yard marker in the middle of the fairway and play that ball out hitting 2....

And that's not even considering driving the ball to that point in the first place.

It is funny, a good majority of the higher caps think it's easy to break par simple because of distance....the scratch and low guys all realise it's all about the short game and putting.

I know it is all about the short game and putting,

Space shot 85 at at 6700 course, he obvioulsy has a decent short game.

take away 2+ thousand yards and I cannot see him shooting over par.

If he hits a 240 yard drive on one hole, he has less than 70 yards into a par 5.

It's a game of pitch and putt for him.

One par 3 on the front nine there is a 109 yard difference.

I think he has a great chance.

I know it is all about the short game and putting,

Space shot 85 at at 6700 course, he obvioulsy has a decent short game.

take away 2+ thousand yards and I cannot see him shooting over par.

If he hits a 240 yard drive on one hole, he has less than 70 yards into a par 5.

It's a game of pitch and putt for him.

One par 3 on the front nine there is a 109 yard difference.

I think he has a great chance.

woah woah everybody. good catch there shero. how did we miss this (or was it just me)? spacey has a bunch of par 5s that are in the low to mid 300 yard range. holy crap. he can't possibly lose those holes (no pressure buddy). hybrid or 3 wood and a wedge and he should be somewhere close to golden. on one of those holes he will be hitting driver somewhere up to the front of the green, depending on the terrain. also, if the teeboxes are positioned such that chuck has a dogleg and spacey has a straightaway hole, that can seriously change the outcome.

OK, as Diamond Joe Quimby so eloquently put it "I am, ah, flip-flopping." Spacey in a walk-- a space walk where his dryjoys barely touch the earth, if you will.

Cheers,

Rob

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Mizuno T-22 wedges

albatross Former name of a "Double Eagle" - the score for a hole made in 3 strokes under par. A British term.

http://www.worldgolf.com/wglibrary/reference/dictionary/

there you go

Off topic, but I am so glad that I finally have the opportunity to put this question to American golfers:

Why would a "Double Eagle" be 3 under par? 2 under for the hole is called "Eagle", right? So wouldn't a "Double Eagle" be -4? Just wondering...

I think I'll stick with "Albatross", its a majestic bird.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

woah woah everybody. good catch there shero. how did we miss this (or was it just me)? spacey has a bunch of par 5s that are in the low to mid 300 yard range. holy crap. he can't possibly lose those holes (no pressure buddy).

I've seen plenty of mid 80s shooters make double on a 330 yard par 4!! Add water and you throw in possibility of big numbers.

spacey,

how did the round go today? I'll try and give you a call in the morning and talk over a few things.... I landed in Vegas after a long 3 hour flight and I'm rosted and spent.... What does the rest of your weekend look like? Incase 1000am does not work?

For everyone else..... Spacey called today to confirm everything and I must say he is a nice guy and I look forward to hanging out for 4 hours on the course!!!!

woah woah everybody. good catch there shero. how did we miss this (or was it just me)? spacey has a bunch of par 5s that are in the low to mid 300 yard range. holy crap. he can't possibly lose those holes (no pressure buddy).

I've seen plenty of mid 80s shooters make double on a 330 yard par 4!! Add water and you throw in possibility of big numbers.

i don't disagree, of course, (Vijay made an 8 on a 340 yd. par 4 somewhere last year-- I know because I had in fantasy golf that week and he was charging hard on Sunday-- a few weeks later, Darren Clarke made a 6 on that short one at Harbourtown-- had him too) but i've played with high-handicappers who have birdied 330 yard par 4s. for my man spacey, or, if you prefer, the spaceman, that is a screaming eagle on the weekend. he is going to have a lot of pars, and a few short ones for birdie. this much i know.

i wish i could get down there and caddy for him. together, amigo, we would march on a road of bones....

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Mizuno T-22 wedges

spacey,

how did the round go today? I'll try and give you a call in the morning and talk over a few things.... I landed in Vegas after a long 3 hour flight and I'm rosted and spent.... What does the rest of your weekend look like? Incase 1000am does not work?

For everyone else..... Spacey called today to confirm everything and I must say he is a nice guy and I look forward to hanging out for 4 hours on the course!!!!

Saturday is the only day i'm available here. i'll be in biloxi on sunday.

i played golf at my home course (Stonebridge). after we spoke.

here's how it went.

I just tried to play from the reds at my local course. Only the front 9. and after finishing a regular round from the blues tees.

It comes down to course management

I shot 1 over par.

And that’s with making silly mistakes. Drove into water and bunker when I didn’t need driver.

• par 4= par
  • par 4 = triple
  • par 5 = missed eagle putt = birdie
  • par 4 = bogey
  • par 3 = missed 6ft birdie putt = par
  • par 5 = missed eagle putt = birdie
  • par 3 = par
  • par 4= birdie
  • par 4 = par

total score on front 9 = 1 over par. And it was fairly easy.

This is my home course, so that that made it a lot easier I guess.

But even on a new course at 4500 yds, which is shorter than my home course. As long as I miss on the safe side of the fairway/greens. I don’t see how I can shoot anything above par.

And that’s my first try from the red tees. It was too dark to play anymore, if I played the back 9, I’d end up shooting under par for sure.

#8, I drove a par 4, on the gps it reads 275 yds, I drove to the bunker next to flag. Pin was 8ft from edge. And 10 ft total from my ball. I played a bunker shot to 3 ft and made birdie.

I was averaging 250 + yds on my drives. So I was always around the green on par 4’s. some of which I didn’t need to drive that far. If I used my 5 wood, It would be 200+ yds straight and have a wedge left to attack the pin.

And this distance is longer than the greystone course.

Those of you who think I can’t win, are seriously mistaken. I’m aiming for a score of under par. I have not played greystone yet, and they don’t have satellite imagery. Hopefully they have a yardage book I can use to guide me through eah hole the way it was meant to be played.

like i said before, its going to be fun either way. because its a new course, maybe i'll mismanage it and post high scores. maybe i'll putt poorly because the greens are lightning fast (from what i'm told). maybe a scratch will overwhelm me with his driving, irons, putting.

if i stay focused and play within my game, which i know i'm capable of, it should be close. i'm not going to lay down by any stretch of the imagination. to win, you have to beat me. as competitive as we both are. it should be a good match.

YES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YES

OK SPACEY-- GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP FRIDAY. CELIBACY BEFORE THE MATCH (I'LL SMOOTH IT OVER WITH YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER).

WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS ONE. I KNOW IT.

YES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YES

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Mizuno T-22 wedges

i don't disagree, of course, (Vijay made an 8 on a 340 yd. par 4 somewhere last year-- I know because I had in fantasy golf that week and he was charging hard on Sunday-- a few weeks later, Darren Clarke made a 6 on that short one at Harbourtown-- had him too) but i've played with high-handicappers who have birdied 330 yard par 4s. for my man spacey, or, if you prefer, the spaceman, that is a screaming eagle on the weekend. he is going to have a lot of pars, and a few short ones for birdie. this much i know.

i wish i could get down there and caddy for him. together, amigo, we would march on a road of bones....

thanks for your support buddy, it would be an honor to have you caddie-

no doubt i'll put up a good fight.

Rage! Rage! against the dying of the light!!!

don't go quietly into the night!!!

most sees me as an underdog here

i'm not phased i have no fear

when its all done and we've gone our way

no matter the result, we can all say

that this game in which we all play

gives us such a rush and it was a great day.

YES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YES

OK SPACEY-- GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP FRIDAY. CELIBACY BEFORE THE MATCH (I'LL SMOOTH IT OVER WITH YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER).

WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS ONE. I KNOW IT.

YES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YES

hahaha

too bad this isn't televised. it would be great for tv. odds makers would have a field day trying to make out the odds.

hahah i always try to get some sleep before a tournament but it doesn't always work out that way.

and yeah, for strength, i do make it a point to stay "celebit" at least a night or two before playing. hahaha

got a call into the greens keeper, don't be so sure your going to be right at 4500 :wacko: RED tee box can be anywhere you know. They are not always at score card yardage :shok:

good luck to you both, this has been a great thread.

i know its not exact. due to wear and tear on tee boxes and they move it up and down to let grass grow in.

but at most courses i've played. the red tee boxes don't get much wear at all. they just don't have that many people playing from those distances in my area.

so its 4500+- , but its shouldn't be any significant.

and calling the greens keeper? this is an exhibition match. the red tees are where they are at random spots on the tee box on any given day. and that was the challenge. (tips vs. reds.) scratch vs mid 80's player.

nobody should influence the course or have it altered in any way just for the game. any signicant yardage above 4500+- makes it appear rigged.

and i'm not playing in a "rigged" game. this was an honest and fair challenge. if i was a scratch i would be playing on the scratch tour, and we wouldn't have this thread.

but if you want to know how a mid 80's fair against a scratch. tips vs reds. at any given random course. thats the challenge, and thats what i'll play.

i won't sit at a poker table if i knew or even suspected any of the players are in collusion.