can u beat a scratch golfer?

spacedust

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spacedust my man...WHERE YOU AT? Dude you have hyped this thread for a LONG time and you just disappear...surely there is a scratch at your club you can play? Or somethine...GOD! This thread is such a tease! LOL

Agreed. I know a bunch of 8 to 10 handicaps at my club. As soon as the temps return to double digits I'll try to set up a nine-hole match and give a little recap. I may have to make the stakes pretty favorable to get a bite, but we'll see if I get any takers.

Cheers,

Tim

Spacedust my man...WHERE YOU AT? Dude you have hyped this thread for a LONG time and you just disappear...surely there is a scratch at your club you can play? Or somethine...GOD! This thread is such a tease! LOL

Agreed. I know a bunch of 8 to 10 handicaps at my club. As soon as the temps return to double digits I'll try to set up a nine-hole match and give a little recap. I may have to make the stakes pretty favorable to get a bite, but we'll see if I get any takers.

Cheers,

Tim

heck....at this point do it for sh!ts and giggles. who cares what the stakes are.....we just want to know the outcome.

this thread......

dead.to.me

Cheers,

Tim

heck....at this point do it for sh!ts and giggles. who cares what the stakes are.....we just want to know the outcome.

this thread......

dead.to.me

I agree, and I am going to do it for the giggles (maybe not the sh!ts). But what I meant to say is that asking my buddies to play it is ALWAYS a money game (the mentality is just that way..."we playing today? Sure what's the bet...") and to introduce this idea of them playing me straight up from the reds is not something that I think will go over easy (we usually argue for 45 minutes on how many strokes they are getting and then argue about it mid-round and again after we finish and again the next day about the match we played the day before)... so we'll see. I'll give it a whirl, as Spacey just disappointed so badly...

Tim

While in college my coach use to make us play the red tees every now and then to get use to taking it deep so while in tournaments if we got a couple under we could bring it home. That being said I would suggest not hitting driver on every single hole, if you shoot in the 80's from the regular tee's that means you're a respectable player, I see no reason if you play it SMART from the red tee's you can shoot par or better. Where you'll get in trouble is if you start trying to "overpower" the course because you are playing the up tee's.

While in college my coach use to make us play the red tees every now and then to get use to taking it deep so while in tournaments if we got a couple under we could bring it home. That being said I would suggest not hitting driver on every single hole, if you shoot in the 80's from the regular tee's that means you're a respectable player, I see no reason if you play it SMART from the red tee's you can shoot par or better. Where you'll get in trouble is if you start trying to "overpower" the course because you are playing the up tee's.

My coach did the same. Where did you play?

My coach did the same. Where did you play?

I think it is a pretty common technique for good coaches at any level. My high school coach did it, as well as college. Generally we did it if we could play more than one practice round at the course we were to play a tourney. The logic I always learned was that you wanted to get your confidence going on the course instead of "fearing" it and you wanted to see the holes in different ways (with more of an emphasis on the green structures being a default for the reds).

Cheers,

Tim

Cheers,

Tim

this thread......

dead.to.me

I agree, and I am going to do it for the giggles (maybe not the sh!ts). But what I meant to say is that asking my buddies to play it is ALWAYS a money game (the mentality is just that way..."we playing today? Sure what's the bet...") and to introduce this idea of them playing me straight up from the reds is not something that I think will go over easy (we usually argue for 45 minutes on how many strokes they are getting and then argue about it mid-round and again after we finish and again the next day about the match we played the day before)... so we'll see. I'll give it a whirl, as Spacey just disappointed so badly...

Tim

That would be cool...a recap is important. It just sucks cuz everyone was hyped because we had talked to Spacey and Chuck? about it...and then it just disappears...don't get me wrong it would be awesome if you would do that and recap it, but I really wanted to hear about it from Spacey...Thanks though! Try to set it up...

Spacey Has been dealing with a family issue I believe(Someone is sick and bad off).I'm still here but you guys have to understand we are a good 1 1/2 hours away from each other and the only time we can play is Saturday or Sunday's.... I know I have offered to play over 8 weeks ago but we are busy guys. I play at least 5 tournaments a month which only leave 6 total days to get this match in... It was setup and done 2 times prior but we live in South Louisiana and the rain is a huge factor here(Both were rained out) and for the past 3+ weeks I know he posted and said he was dealing with some things... ANd we cannot fault him for this. MOney is not a issue we decided to play for greens fees, and I will play for his lunch since he is making the drive. Hopefully this match will happen if not with me then I know he has a person he can play in New Orleans he was trying to set a match up.

Again I was like most fo you guys following this thread so this is why i offered to play the match! Hopefully it will happen soon!

Joe,

Good to hear from you bro! I got your text and I'll save your number in my cell. I'm out almost every weekday I work till 500pm I too am out this weekend I have been battling a shouder issue the past 3 week and I need it to heal for a 7 day golf trip in two weeks. I did have a chance to play with some customers on friday @ Money Hill and shot 70 from the Gold tee's. I should be open for a round next weekend before the trip and then I will be out till the 3rd weekend of july(work out of country when I get back from the golf trip) Hit me up and lets see if we can do it next weekend!!!!!

Chuck

Glad to hear you are doing good

70 at money hill. thats nice.

i just shot even par today at stonebridge http://www.stonebridgegolfofno.com (home course) 6521 yards.

such a good feeling ahhhhh. :clapping:

Hey Spacey, good to see you are surfacing again.

Congrats on your 72 at Stonebridge. That's a great score, especially for a 10 handicap. In fact, that is such a great score, that we can now officially say you are a SAND BAGGER. No 10 handicap should be shooting 72 on a 70 rating course (presuming you played the whites). As I've said many times over, IF you ever bothered to get a handicap, you would stop pretending to be this "10" and actually find out (based on the few scores you've bothered to share with us) that you are in fact about a 4 - 6 handicap. With this latest score, you are trending fast toward the 4 range, and lower. I know a LOT of 8 - 10 handicaps (legitimate, not "Spacey" style made up nonsense), and the best score from any of my buddies in that range this year on their home course is a 76 on a 70 rated par 71. In fact, of the dozen or so 4 - 6 handicaps that I play with every weekend in our money games (where handicaps really matter and therefore are scrutinized intensely) the highest handicap of a guy this year to shoot 72 from the 70 rated tees was a 4 handicap. I know because I keep the books. Statistically speaking, the chances of a 10 handicap besting his handicap by 8 strokes (as you just claimed to have done) is less likely than a hole in one. Looking at our money games' stats, the chances of a 5 handicap shooting 72 on a 70 rating course (where the guys play it twice a week for a decade) are about 1 in 200. On the otherhand, the chances of a 2 handicap shooting 72 on a 70 rating is somewhere around 1 in 5...our weekend game stats show this to be a little optimistic when money is on the line...comes out to around 1 in 7 odds.

So, my advice on this "BET" you have concocted. Just admit that you are really about a 4 handicap, play from the whites and go from there. Otherwise, you will need to be giving the scratch a few strokes if you are playing from a set of tees with a rating of about 65 while he is playing from the 74 rating championships. I'd say that a fair bet would be you play reds and give up five shots.

Cheers,

Tim

First off I think Joe is a great guy and I wish we could have played before this thread got too far out of hand...

As Tim and other have said I HAD no doubt that he was closer to a 6-8 before the low scores were posted just from the trend of scores I have seen.... I am willing to play no matter what just because we both would like to know the scores and if its possible. As I have posted in the past my wife had our first child in February and my practice time has went out the door... I can still shoot low scores but for the most part I have been 70-77 since the baby. If anyone would like to see my TRUE handy go to lgagolf.org and click online posting, then click the middle box and put in my name chuck autrey You will see every score I have entered... I went from a 1 to a 2.6 during the first few months of my child but as you can tell I have it back down to a 1.7 june 1st and it will be below a 1 by the end of the month. That is my scores and I have nothing to hide, I play 100% legit to my scores..... So all this being said what do you guys think>? At the start is was a Scarch player playing a 12-14+ capper.... NOw is has changed and it looks as though Joe is more of a 4-6 true player....

If this is a the case there is NO WAY I going to beat a 4-6 player! I play normal 1-6 players every weekend and beat with 9 out of ten times but if those guys played from the red's I would get beat because they would shoot under par 7 of 10 times....

Everyone else thoughs?

70 at money hill. thats nice.

i just shot even par today at stonebridge http://www.stonebridgegolfofno.com (home course) 6521 yards.

such a good feeling ahhhhh. :clapping:

Hey Spacey, good to see you are surfacing again.

Congrats on your 72 at Stonebridge. That's a great score, especially for a 10 handicap. In fact, that is such a great score, that we can now officially say you are a SAND BAGGER. No 10 handicap should be shooting 72 on a 70 rating course (presuming you played the whites). As I've said many times over, IF you ever bothered to get a handicap, you would stop pretending to be this "10" and actually find out (based on the few scores you've bothered to share with us) that you are in fact about a 4 - 6 handicap. With this latest score, you are trending fast toward the 4 range, and lower. I know a LOT of 8 - 10 handicaps (legitimate, not "Spacey" style made up nonsense), and the best score from any of my buddies in that range this year on their home course is a 76 on a 70 rated par 71. In fact, of the dozen or so 4 - 6 handicaps that I play with every weekend in our money games (where handicaps really matter and therefore are scrutinized intensely) the highest handicap of a guy this year to shoot 72 from the 70 rated tees was a 4 handicap. I know because I keep the books. Statistically speaking, the chances of a 10 handicap besting his handicap by 8 strokes (as you just claimed to have done) is less likely than a hole in one. Looking at our money games' stats, the chances of a 5 handicap shooting 72 on a 70 rating course (where the guys play it twice a week for a decade) are about 1 in 200. On the otherhand, the chances of a 2 handicap shooting 72 on a 70 rating is somewhere around 1 in 5...our weekend game stats show this to be a little optimistic when money is on the line...comes out to around 1 in 7 odds.

So, my advice on this "BET" you have concocted. Just admit that you are really about a 4 handicap, play from the whites and go from there. Otherwise, you will need to be giving the scratch a few strokes if you are playing from a set of tees with a rating of about 65 while he is playing from the 74 rating championships. I'd say that a fair bet would be you play reds and give up five shots.

Cheers,

Tim

hi,

i was congratulating chuck on shooting "70" at money hill.

i shot 72 at stonebridge. its par 72. and from the blues. not whites. its my home course, i play there all the time.

its my best score to date. all the stars lined up. all my drives were straight, my irons were solid that day and most putts went in. it was a great feeling.

i don't officially have a usga handicap. but i usually hit low to mid 80's. and thats why me and my other friends kinda guess i am "equivalent" to a 10 hdcp.

stonebridge has 27 holes. 3 - 9's.

the only 2 nines that really count is the main course 1st and 2nd. there is a 3rd 9 which is an executive course. its shorter. good for practice.

i have par'd all 3 nines. at one time or another. but not in the same round.

on tuesday i shot +1 on front and -1 on back. 4 birdies. from the blues.

http://www.stonebridgegolfofno.com/sites/c...&page=24061

i'd like to play that everytime. but i can't. so my true scrore is still low to mid 80's.

i am being honest here. :) :)

When sitting at a 0.6 index, my average scores were around 74-75.

So when you average between 81-85, you'll be closer to a 6-7 than a 10.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 3 weeks later...

Spacedust. Seriously. Either play or don't play. I don't even care anymore. How long has this thread been going on and you still haven't done this thing!!!! I really read it 2 1/2 months ago and then forgot about it. all you keep doing is running your mouth, backing it up by calling your self a gentleman, challenging other people, then never playing. I bet you are looking for someone else to play with b/c nobody you know wants to play with anymore. It is time for you to either put up, or shut up. Great if you win, great if you lose. Here is a bet, $100 to charity, win or lose, that you don't "Crush Him".

Well I attempted to stage the bet between myself (+1.5 USGA handicap) and a buddy (-7 USGA handicap) but the best that I could get was us BOTH playing forward. When I proffered up the bet he said, "F--- You, I'm not playing the sissy tees while you hit from the tips, are you stupid?" So I offered for us both to play from the senior tees and that we just play normal handicapped medal play over 18. Bet was the bar tab. I gave him 10 shots (five a side). I won by 3 shots net and 13 gross and had a great burger, onion rings, 2 sierra nevadas, and a bud light (around $25 after tip/tax). The men's rating from the senior tees is 68.5/117 (6000 yd par 71) slope. I shot 69 and he shot 82. The course is a 72 rating 131 slope (6900 yd par 71) from the backs and my average score from the tips the past 10 rounds has been 72 while his average was around 81.

In order to "mimic" the bet we thought Spacey would pull off sometime in the past 4 months, I attempted to play whatever club I needed to hit the spot I might hit from the tips (par 5s and 4s). So, I hit zero drivers, a bunch of 3/4 irons, and the odd 6 or 7 iron off the tee. This slightly skews the bet because I hit 12 fairways, when my average on the course is around 10 from the tips...I'm a great driver of the ball and tee shots are my key strength, but even on my best day I don't have these kinds of A-1 positions off the tee. Nonetheless, I still hit 13 greens, which is about my average on this course. The par 3s were tough from way up cause I had never played them there and was WAY too aggressive on my tee shots...hitting just 1 of 4 greens on these surprisingly challenging holes.

The match was predictable. My 7 handicap buddy still chunked, skulled, and shanked a lot of short shots. He hit fewer greens than normal cause he was basically at uncomfortable distances, angles, and lies for nearly every approach. He attempted on the first five holes to play to his "distances," but truth be told, he doesn't really have comfortable "distances..." so that was a crap shoot. I was giving him a hard time about how despite having between 100 and 130 into each of the first 4 holes he had hit zero greens and that he would be much better just trying to drive it close and chip it to a good spot on/near a green. Well he started to do this at the end of the round and made a nice run and finish at the end with 2 birdies and 2 pars in the final 4. Too little too late. He's still a CHOKING dog putter. Missed a LOT of 4 - 8 foot flat putts.

So, in the end, I couldn't quite replicate the bet exactly as we had hoped, but there you go. It was fun. I got what I expected and a great meal. My buddy, he hated it. He paid the bar bill and said, "next time we're playing from the tips, normal strokes."

Cheers,

Tim