2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing behind "the girls"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time i was playing and we got stuck behind these old women,

the first 9 took forever, we got off number 9, and see that the 10th tee is open, so we stop in the clubhouse really quick and then head out to #10

the same women ar teeing off, AND they are eating their salads at the same time

I WAS PISSED, to say the least

I've actually had many more instances of being stuck behind glacially slow men.

In almost every case women move along a good pace.

One time i was playing and we got stuck behind these old women,

the first 9 took forever, we got off number 9, and see that the 10th tee is open, so we stop in the clubhouse really quick and then head out to #10

the same women ar teeing off, AND they are eating their salads at the same time

I WAS PISSED, to say the least

Why not politely ask to play through?

I would hit on them, as long as they aren't as old as my grandmother.

Unless one of them looks like Sophia Loren, then I'd just hit on her.

I hope you aren't one of those guys that feels anything over a 3.5 hour round is too slow.

We were all bad at one point, and we all have played too slow (taken too many shots) at one point in our "careers". Hell, today I was striking the ball very well, but one hole ate my lunch, and I saw that another group was on the teebox, so I picked up.

No biggie.

We can all agree we hate slow play - men or women.... it is simple, if it is a slow group you ask to play through ( or if my group happens to be the slow one, we offer the group behind to play through). Sometimes it isn't the group in front of you, it could be 4 groups ahead or whatever. Rangers or course assistants should help this and most do not anymore. Either way, I just look at the delay in the round as a perfect time to enjoy the outdoors, chat with your playing partners, etc. It is golf - it should be enjoyed!!! If the extra 10 - 20 min is going to ruin your round you probably shouldn't be playing in my opinion.

This implies "girls" are slowpokes. I disagree. I often play as a single and have been paired with women a number of times. Unlike many men that insist on playing the tips and wait until the green clears when they are 250 out, women play within themselves and move right along. Oh yeah, no time is wasted looking for lost balls either as they rarely leave the fairway.

Absolutely - as a VERY broad generalization, I find women golfers to be more aware of other groups and accommodating

Exactly! they are not as stingy and arrogant and selfish as most male golfers in the world...me being one of them : (

This implies "girls" are slowpokes. I disagree. I often play as a single and have been paired with women a number of times. Unlike many men that insist on playing the tips and wait until the green clears when they are 250 out, women play within themselves and move right along. Oh yeah, no time is wasted looking for lost balls either as they rarely leave the fairway.

Exactly. Those are my experiences as well. Women play a lot faster in general, because they play a lot straighter and their ego doesn't get in their way. I played a round with 3 women last Sunday afternoon. We got around the course in 3 hrs 50. Walking. None of them ever lost a ball, none of them ever needed to search for one as a matter of fact. It was all fairway, fairway, pitch, putt, putt all the time. And they walked fast as well.

In my experience the slowest groups fall into the following category: Athletic men in their early 30s, who started to play the game recently, who try to smash the ball to pieces with every shot they play, do not have any idea of rules and etiquette, but try everything they can to get that ONE 300yds drive per round. Sometimes they will run into that sort of shot out of sheer luck, the rest of it is just looking for their balls all the time and eventually dropping one in the general area they lost their last one. But in a place where they can get a friendly lie, of course.

If I am really held up by a group in front of me, I work on my pre-shot and post-shot routines a lot, on getting ready mentally and on accepting the results after the shot. "Zen Golf", great advice to be found in there.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

View may not be so bad... :russian_roulette:

As long as they keep pace of play, I've got no problems.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

We can all agree we hate slow play - men or women.... it is simple, if it is a slow group you ask to play through ( or if my group happens to be the slow one, we offer the group behind to play through). Sometimes it isn't the group in front of you, it could be 4 groups ahead or whatever. Rangers or course assistants should help this and most do not anymore. Either way, I just look at the delay in the round as a perfect time to enjoy the outdoors, chat with your playing partners, etc. It is golf - it should be enjoyed!!! If the extra 10 - 20 min is going to ruin your round you probably shouldn't be playing in my opinion.

You almost lost me in the first sentence. You see I do not agree at all slow play does not bug me. The rest of your post was very well said.

On the weekends there are a couple of lady groups that get out in front of us. They hold up nobody these ladies all can play and they are fast . Heck most of the time they walk.

During the week you get behind some slow senior couples. Personally I am just thrilled they can be out there together.

put me with the girls, i shot better, i tend to play smart golf, swing easy and layup on par fives that i know i cann't reach. i have nothing to prove when playing with female. plus i have played with 3 gals before and finished in 3 hour 15 minutes.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

You almost lost me in the first sentence. You see I do not agree at all slow play does not bug me. The rest of your post was very well said.

On the weekends there are a couple of lady groups that get out in front of us. They hold up nobody these ladies all can play and they are fast . Heck most of the time they walk.

During the week you get behind some slow senior couples. Personally I am just thrilled they can be out there together.

Great way to look at it.

You are so correct on this one... I can only hope i'm out playing golf as a senior. Golf is supposed to be enjoyed regardless of slow play, chunked chips, ball OB, etc. Work your butt off to get better but just enjoy it!

yesterday! got stuck behind a group of guys (13th hole) that are playing the blues (next to longest tees) and have trouble getting it out of there shadows! Like a nice guy I stand on the tee box tee after tee thinking they will motion us through, NOPE! so slow its just killing me until it turns comical, then we start to laugh until the 18th hole, they had to be laying 6,7 or 8 chipping on the green, finally they ALL get with 6-8 feet from the hole so what do they do? They take the flag and start measuring to see whos away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN! I couldn't stand it any longer and yell "just putt the ball or its a gimme!" so now they stop and look and continue to measure, time from 13 through 18.... 2 hours 10 min. please don't tell me this wouldn't piss u off 2! (Oh yea I could have gone home and cleaned the garage or something!) so its not just the girls that are slow sometimes!

put me with the girls, i shot better, i tend to play smart golf, swing easy and layup on par fives that i know i cann't reach. i have nothing to prove when playing with female. plus i have played with 3 gals before and finished in 3 hour 15 minutes.

:russian_roulette:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

what's up with the loaded poll question?

in any case, slow play is slow play, regardless of gender. like some of the folks who have responded, in my experience the majority of excruciatingly slow players i've been behind have been men. in fact one guy i play with sometimes is quick to criticize "slow" women but is the first person to spend what seems like an eternity grinding over a five foot putt when there' s nothing at stake.

i've only been behind a handful of slow-playing women, but each time, they've happily let me play through, sometimes proactively waiving me through. now that's courtesy that i typically don't see from slow playing men.

Never had trouble with female golfers, when there hitting the ball most look like they are rushing! They just go up and hit, up and hit.

I've also found most to be very plesant people who say hello, let you through no quibbles and even comment on your game! One asked if i was a scratch after hitting a very good driver :wacko:

Although i have met one dragon on the course.....

• 4 weeks later...

Men, Women, Children....I don't care....as long as you're making a reasonable attempt to keep pace, I'm fine with it.

What I don't like is clowns hitting irons from the blues, taking their third shot from just over the Reds and then standing on the green like it's a PGA tour convention lining up putts.

And there are two reasons for this. First, I have a certain pace about me and my game, and I like that to go as uninterrupted as possible, who doesn't right? But if the group in front is making every effort, and they're playing from the right tees, I'm far less inclined to be annoyed.

Second is I usually provide the boss with an ETA for my return. If that gets screwed up, then I have to explain, and that's no fun!

:-)