Kevin's Bag

Great looking set of sticks!!!! :)

How's the 905R working out? Can't wait to try the 905R/V2 combo when it hits the UK although the 905S/Blue is still a great club!

I'm liking the 695CBs but don't think they would too far ahead of my TM 300s - always find Titleist irons to sit a bit too upright.

Keep up the good work - enjoy your pics a great deal.

Thanks Rich,

All my new clubs are working out great. I have yet to miss a fairway with the new driver. Of course, there's still snow on the ground so I have not been able to hit any of them yet! LOL :)

I agree on the lie, I'm 6'1" and still order all my Titleist irons 1.5° flat! Luckily the Titleist custom club department does an awesome job in getting us what we want!

Have a great day,

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those 660's look PERFECT. I really hope I never see a set in person because I'm probably going to end up getting them . . . :lol:

What do you think of their "flighted" design? Is it really effective?

Awesome bag Kevin!

Thanks taylormadefan,

I really like them too. I'm not sure what is meant by "flighted" design?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Thanks taylormadefan,

Kevin

According to Titleist it's:

Concave muscle back design that positions the center of gravity in the optimal location for the ideal ball flight with each iron.

I guess it's taking the progressive muscle design of the 690's a step further? Flat penetrating short irons while the longer irons fly higher.

It was a nice theory in the 690's but it didn't work out that way for me (more likely I just wasn't good enough :lol: )

Thanks again.

Thanks taylormadefan,

Kevin

According to Titleist it's:

Concave muscle back design that positions the center of gravity in the optimal location for the ideal ball flight with each iron.

I guess it's taking the progressive muscle design of the 690's a step further? Flat penetrating short irons while the longer irons fly higher.

It was a nice theory in the 690's but it didn't work out that way for me (more likely I just wasn't good enough :lol: )

Thanks again.

That's a concept I don't understand. I skipped the text and just looked at the pictures. :ok:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I finally got to hit my 2006 Titleist equipment today. All 4 sets of irons were made by the Titleist Custom department in my specs. The lofts on all 4 sets are the same, 47° PW then going down 4° through the 5 iron, then down 3° to a 24° 4 iron. All are dynamic gold S-300, 1.5° flat and Tour Velvet grips 1/64" oversize, so I am comparing apples to apples, the set ups are identical.

I am old school, I don't have a lunch monitor and I fit myself by eye and feel. Sorry to those that want to see the numbers.

Go here for pictures: Kevin's WITB Pictures

Just a first run comparison between the new Titleist irons: 735 CM, 695 CB, 695 MB and 660. I love the looks of all of them, and wanted to share my thoughts after 1 session:

735 CM

This is the set I used last fall. I really like the looks and feel. The long irons are every bit as forgiving as the 704 set that I used before these, and the short irons are every bit as workable as blades. This is a perfect combo set. If you want a combo set and are frustrated that you cant get a 695 CB / MB combo, don't be. These work together as a set far better than the 695's would, in my opinion.

695 CB

These are not your grand fathers CB's. If you want very forgiving / easy up long irons, look at the CM's or 775's. You will be happier. If you want a set of irons that is more forgiving than blades, but with great trajectory control, these are your baby's. You will have no problem knocking these down or working the ball with them, they are awesome. The only thing you won't like about these is that if you are used to traditional blades, the top line looks a little thick.

695 MB

I used to be a blade user through the 690 days before I switched to the 704's. I just felt I needed the extra forgiveness of the game improvement irons, and they worked well, I just missed the trajectory control in the short irons. I thought for blades, the 690's were very forgiving, but if you hit one thin, you pay the price. The 695's are no exception. With their thin top lines and thin clean back, I think these are the best looking iron I have ever owned. This will probably be the last iron of the 4 I will use however, I just don't feel like my game is good enough for these. I'm not selling them though, I will look forward to trying them again when it warms up and I am swinging better.

These are my favorites, so far. They are amazing irons, they look like blades, but the thin shots still get airborne, not as easy to hit as the CB's, but very close. I love the look, very confidence inspiring, and with the thin top line you look down and feel like a player. I am surprised these aren't getting the great buzz on tour that the 695's are. Oh well, those guys probably don't top it as often as I do. :ok: I think a great combo set would actually be the 735 long irons, with the 660 short irons, in fact for now I am keeping the 735 4 iron in my bag until I have time to get out and practice more.

You probably notice I am not making any statements about feel. It was 40° and I was hitting range balls! If I put a stick of butter on a shaft it would feel like a brick today.

905R

Well, here was the biggest surprise for me. I have been a little leery of what to do for a driver. I loved the 975D and it took me a year to duplicate it's performance in the J. The K was the best driver I have ever owned, it took me a year to finally find the 905 combination shaft and loft to make a marginal improvement, 905S 10.5 with either a Speeder 757 or Diamana both worked for me.

I figured it would take me a year of testing again this year to be comfortable with a new driver setup. I have been looking forward to trying the V2 as it is being used by so many tour players and is getting a great buzz. Unfortunately, I gave both my demo V2's to a member yesterday who was heading south to play. That left me with the NV65 as the closest thing I have found in the past to fitting my swing. After hitting a few, badly with my old driver, I decided to try the R. Un-freaking-believable. The thing is the most forgiving driver I have ever hit. It just wants to go straight. Too much spin was a non - issue, which was a problem I have always had with the NV65. It just hit straight bullets, even with a shaft that doesn't fit me. So I went ahead and took out my 905R 9.5° Diamana...

Last year, as I mentioned, I ended up using the 905S 10.5 with the Diamana and Speeder 757 shafts. The performance was good, but it certainly did not have the smooth feel everybody has been talking about, it just felt too strong to me. This year Titleist is using a Diamana with a little longer tip section to make it play truer to flex in what some of you call the psycho bore. Wow, what a difference, feels awesome with the same boring trajectory. Oh yeah, I forgot, because of the little higher launch angle and the little more spin I had heard people talk about, I went from 10.5 in the S to 9.5 in the R. As usual, my rep nailed it. I could play the 10.5 with no problem, but the 8.5 would be too low for me, the 9.5 is perfect for my action. There is no looking back, these things are awesome, no wonder so many tour players switched so fast! I'm never completely satisfied, I've got 4 Fujikura shafts to pop into 4 more heads that I have coming, but I could definitely play with my first one. I have to fool around with something!

Thanks for listening, I hope this helps somebody. :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Thanks John,

Are my findings similar to yours? I haven't been this excited by a new line of equipment for a long time!

Kevin

I still have not had a chance to hit the 660's yet, i am sure they will be great.

695 MB's were very nice for the one range session i had with them, i agree, i have not been this excited either, i still have 2 pieces missing from the 06' lineup, but i am working on them.

Love the new set up Kevin. Awesome clubs.

P.S. How did you produce the graphic with your own yardages on it?

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

Love the new set up Kevin. Awesome clubs.

P.S. How did you produce the graphic with your own yardages on it?

progolfer33,

I appreciate the comments. The graphic was really easy, just did it in an excel spreadsheet, copy / paste into photoshop, and saved as a jpeg file.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Kevin,

we've got about the same yardages, so your reviews are very much appreciated. The 905r is awesome I just got fitted for a V2 75gram REGULAR flex. the 75grams helps prevent casting and the regular flex provides some more kick. This shaft is incredible.

I haven't hit the new irons but I did line up the 660s. Man do they look small. thin toplines but so short and compact too. amazing looking. I thought the 695 series looked alot like my 735s from address.

Do the 695s feel softer? I've noticed with my chrome 735s on miss hits towards the heel they sound hollow. I wonder if it's the heel plug.

I'm very interested in your review of the V2 in the R

Thanks

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Kevin,

we've got about the same yardages, so your reviews are very much appreciated. The 905r is awesome I just got fitted for a V2 75gram REGULAR flex. the 75grams helps prevent casting and the regular flex provides some more kick. This shaft is incredible.

I haven't hit the new irons but I did line up the 660s. Man do they look small. thin toplines but so short and compact too. amazing looking. I thought the 695 series looked alot like my 735s from address.

Do the 695s feel softer? I've noticed with my chrome 735s on miss hits towards the heel they sound hollow. I wonder if it's the heel plug.

I'm very interested in your review of the V2 in the R

Thanks

Hi Finalist, any comments I make about feel would be a pure guess. Only 1 range session, it was 40° and range balls, so we will have to wait on that. Unfortunately, we got a freakin foot of snow yesteray, so it's going to be awhile. :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Great review Kev!

I agree, the 660's are sweeeet looking clubs :lol:

Have you hit the 857 yet :ok:

Hi Andy,

I have hit the 857, just like you said it has an awesome, smooth feel. For some reason I like the TRTI46 a little better for my swing. It is just a little stiffer, a little heavier, and I have more confidence with it. Sorry my friend, didn't mean to let you down.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I wanted to give props to Kevin, he has helped me out with a few things and its much appreciated. One of the nicest and most helpful people I have met in this sport in a long time :drinks: Its no wonder that he has managed to stay at his club for 25 years. Now if I can only get a set of those irons off of him all will be well!

thanks Kevin!

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

Any futher update on how the Diamana 83 and 905R combo is working out for you ?

Not really, we are still fighting the snow here in Minnesota. I have hit some balls with it and really like the way it feels and flights the ball. I will be trying several different shafts in this head and the true test won't be until I get to play. I know this is the head for me, so much more forgiving and longer than the S. Just have to work on getting it tuned for me.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again