2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

quest to break 100

Bort,

Good to hear that you're still working at it. Over winter I like to work on my putting/chipping mechanics (just inside on a rug or something). Maybe you could do some work with that...turn a coffee mug on the side and putt some balls into it from varying distances...also, not sure if this is an option for you over winter, but depending on where you live, you could maybe hit some 50 yard pitch shots into a bucket (or at least try) at a school field somewhere. I know for a fact that if you keep up your desire and passion, you will break 100 next year, without any problems! Good luck over winter!

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I did a first today, I hit golf balls in December. It was high 40s, mostly sunny with a strong head wind. I figure what the heck, some of you guys play in the snow, I'll go to the driving range.

It went better then expected. I tried do some stuff my pro covered in my last lesson. The swing towards first base and hit it over second. I had a hard time with that. Most were hooks because the ball started straight and went left.

I was out there just to swing a club. I know it probably wasn't very effective practice but it was fun. I had to hit off mats. So I decided to hit alot of driver. I hate mats but had no other option. These mats are the ones with the rubber inserts that you can either put a ball on or stick a tee in. One of them put the ball higher then my drivers clubhead at address. For some reason I hit that real good. Straight, high and far. Ones I teed lower tended to slice or fly lower and shorter. I dunno what to make of it. I'm gonna post a question about that seperately in the forum.

I also did some pitches and chips. Not all perfect but I did fairly good( for me).

It felt great to swing a club and I wasn't that cold even though I took off my jacket. I gotta take advantage of this range while I can. The course is open until there's snow on the ground. I doubt I'll play until spring but any range time/practice green time is a bonus.

Cheers!

I picked up some winter reading the other week.

I got 'The Natural Golf Swing' by Knudsen(sp?). I ran across a reference to it here and it sounds interesting. The premise is that all you need to do is make a balanced swing and you'll gain consistency and accuracy. I'm just part way through and it sounds very generic in that he's not proposing a single swing. pretty much everyone will have their own version of the swing, so there doesn't seem to be alot about mechanics, 1 plane vs 2 plane etc.

So far it rings true with me based on that magic round of 46(for 9) where I ended birdie, par, birdie. I had my first lesson of the year the day before and all the pro had me do was fix my grip a little and relax. I went on the course and conciously relaxerd my arms and it paid off in the end. I was 21 after 3 and then went 25 for the next 6. I was just in a groove with my swing. I believe I was using a natural swing that day. Even if I'm wrong, I don't see how this book would hurt me. I'll have to revisit the book come spring when I can start trying the drills, shich i haven't reached yet in the book.

I got 'Putting out of your Mind' by Rotella. I liked 'Golf is not a game of perfect', so i thought i'd try this one too. My understanding is his books are a tad repetitive, so I'm sure I'll read some of the same stuff.

lastly is Watson's 'Getting Up and Down'. Another book I've heard good things about. My short game needs alot of help, so I figure it can't hurt.

I also got some 'Almost golf balls' and a chipping mat. I hope to be able to do some basic chipping practice in the basement. All I can work on is the ball flight and landing target. The basement is tiled, so trying to work on the final target ie the hole, isn't an option. I'm just hoping they won't bouce all over the place or break anything. otherwise i'll have to try with foam balls.

• 1 month later...

Those Pelz almost golf balls are pretty nice for chipping in the house. I finally broke them out tonight. They seem firmer then the foam balls but are soft enough they wouldn't break anything they hit unless you knock something over.

I finally got around to some indoor chipping tonight. I reviewed the chipping chapter in Utley's book. It went better then expected. i only made about 30 chips but I was picking out targets. I made good contact with the type of flight I expect from a chip on over half of them. So more good vs bad. A key for me is to have alot of weight left and pivot around the left leg. Otherwise I come 'up and out' and will skull the ball. I tried some chips where my target was 25 feet away and I was able to get my ball to land that far out. The nice thing about a 12 inch tiled floor in the basement is it makes target practice alot easier. I can also use the grout lines as makeshift alignment aids.

The other thing I'm doing is P90X. I know alot of people are sick of seeing the infomercial on TGC all the time. I'm alost done with the first two weeks and so far so good. I'm hoping that this will help my flexibility and strengthen my core. I really want to hit a 51 more then 150.

Lastly, the comment I made about teeing the ball higheer then the driver. I went to the range the following day and did the same thing. So it worked 2 days in a row. All the ranges have been closed for about 4 - 5 weeks now, so I'm done till spring.

Hopefully '09 will be the year I make that big step and start to shoot under 50 for 9. Can't wait.

Bort:

Very interesting reading your diary -- and progress. Keep up the work.

I am still a high handicapper (26) so take any advice with a grain of salt. My personal epiphany was getting my driver straight and longish (230-250). I found that I really could not make much of any hole if I cannot get near the green in regulation. That mean hitting a reasonable drive so the approach is not much more than a 5i or 6i. And shorter is better. It took almost a whole year to get it working well. Lots of range balls and constantly using it off the tee when it could be. At least for me, a 3w or 5w was just as erratic and when hit well considerably shorter.

I still am missing the approach hits so my game suffers. As do my inside 100 numbers -- typically 3 or more rather than the 2 or less.

Another observation from the range. IMHO, your golf game is no better than what you do at the range. Most people do not really look at their range game. You really have to look closely at what happens while you are at the range. If you picked a spot to reach with a club and hit 10 balls, how many are within 10 yards? I personally am only good with short irons or wedges. Use a 5i and I am pretty bad. My range practice is along with straight, work on getting to the target 70% of the time. As others have and will say, the range is not the course.

Keep reporting the saga. I am enjoying it.

• 2 months later...

Well it is the first week of April and the season has begun! Ok, so I haven't played a round yet, but I'm very excited. The course I play at opens today and they opened their range yesterday. The weather is kinda crappy so, I don't expect to play/hit the range today. I did go to the range yesterday though :partytime2:

I pretty much took the winter off from golf. I never got around to playing indoors. I read Knudson's Natural Golf and am about halfway through my second pass with it. I am most of the way through Rotella's Putting out of your Mind, more comments on that later.

The biggest thing was that I did P90X. Tommorow is day 90 for me. I know alot of people are sick of the infomercial but it works. I have lost 34.5 lbs in the last 89 days and have gotten stronger, especially in the core. I'll be doing a second round in a few weeks to try to lose the last of my excess weight. I know this isn't golf specific but I'm in much better shape now then I have been most of my life. My endurance is better too. So I expect this to have positive impacts on my game.

The drawback is I need to go clothes shopping before I really start playing. I went down 3 inches in the waist measurement for pants. So all I have are loose jeans. I also dropped 2 shirt sizes down to a large. I don't know how well my XL golf shirts will look. All my XXL stuff went to Goodwill last week.

I have restarted the quest though, otherwise I would have waited before posting.

Earlier this winter, I worked on Utley's chipping method in my basement. I only did it two times for maybe an hour total. I had an aha moment while doing it though. I was able to determine the main thing I was doing wrong, which is not keeping my weight left. My weight was shifting right near the end of the swing , I think that's a reverse pivot. It results in me blading the ball.

The last three days I've spend over 90 minutes on my front lawn working on chips and pitches. My success rate is about 75% maybe a bit higher right now. I find that the first few attempts get bladed because of my weight being on the right side. I then correct it and it smoothes out from there.

My big focus is on contact and ball flight. I'm not picking out my targets yet. I am hearing that click of compression when I chip correctly and the ball is jumping off my club face. So I have positive feedback right away. I have been experimenting with how far my backswing is and the effect on distance. I will ocaasionally pick out a distance and try to hit it. My big focus is just getting the contact though.

I have been mixing in Utley's pitching method. I'm having about the same success rate with it. I feel confident that I can get my ball over a greenside bunker with a pitch or chip now. There's a 1/4 chance of a bad hit right now but that number will go down if I practice this more.

So I feel my chipping is better today then when I finished last season. I think I'm on the road to eliminate all those 2 chips from my rounds.

I went to the range yesterday. Mats only. I warmed up with my 7I. My full swings went 150, if the signs are right! that's big because my 150 club last year was my 5i. I noticed I was getting that click of compression on most of my 7I shots.

I also broke out the new driver for a bit. I was launching that thing into the trees with a nice slice. I teed the ball higher and hit some nice straight ones that carried past the 200y marker. I will need to mess with my tee heights more. Towards the end of the session, I hit two skyballs because my driver came under the ball. I had hit some 7w, 7I, shortgame shots in between. So my driver success rate was maybe 40% but the big thing seems to be related to the tee height. Too low and I tend to slice it. Tee it higher then normal straight and far.

Overall I felt like the range session was about like when I left off last year. I think that's good because my swing didn't revert back too much during the layoff.

Oh, I bought some new clubs last month. MacGregor clubs are pretty cheap so I bought a 460cc driver, 3w, 5w, and 3h, along with a Bobby Grace DCT putter. I now have the all Mac bag except for the Vokey wedges I bought last year. It'll take some range time to get used to them though.

I already have started to talk to the pro I get lessons with. He expects the course he works at to open near the end of the month. Once that happens I can start up lessons. I already broached the subject on letting him guide my learning. I gave him some stats and he's confident he'll be able to craft a plan to get me to break 50, for 9, consistently. I mentioned I was trying to learn Utley's shortgame methods and he gave that a thumbs up. I don't know what his game plan is gonna be. I'm pretty sure we'll start with short game stuff/putting. Hopefully i can get my shortgame to the point where it's not a major area of focus by the time we start up.

My putting is ok normally and I think I'm a feel putter. I setup over the ball and stroke it. I don't spend alot of time thinking about mechanics or trying to read the putt from 50 angles. I don't take practice strokes either. This ties into what Rotella talks about in Putting out of Your Mind. So i think I'm on the right track and just need to practice more. The new putter has a toe hang that should work with Utley's putting method better then my oddesy.

Welcome back, Bort! The P90X results sound amazing. I'm certain that will help. The work on your chipping, pitching, and putting is likely to see immediate results, too.

I bet you'll break 100 within your first six rounds. Fairways and greens!

(Edited because of my crappy, unresponsive keyboard. Grrr!)

FINALLY broke 100...well 99, but that counts :)

Thanks to some recent work, my swing is a lot more consistent off the tee, but the big key for me was my short game. I've worked HARD implementing the Utley chip, pitch, and sand shots.

The Utley pitch is money for me. It was easy to learn, and it's so consistent I use it as my go to shot. They all go high and straight as long as I aim myself right. I pitched one today about 55 yards right at the pin that landed 1 ft from the hole and just stopped cold. I was so happy, you would've thought it went in if you saw my reaction :)

I have a HUGE issue with alignment. I always seem to aim to the right. Also, my putting needs work, but I'm gonna hit that hard over the next few weeks. I have a Tour Links 9' practice green on the way.

Sorry to threadjack, but I just wanted to say keep up the hard work and you will get the score you want. The key is the short game. Get your short game right, and you'll break 100 in no time.

90 here I come!!!

Sorry to threadjack, but I just wanted to say keep up the hard work and you will get the score you want. The key is the short game. Get your short game right, and you'll break 100 in no time.

90 here I come!!!

No threadjack. This thread is my rambling about trying to break 100 and a spot for people to put advice/comments. Hopefully it helps someone else out there. If not, it's usually good for a chuckle when I post a round.

So I was able to hit the range before work today. It was a mixed bag. It started out good and ended good with some junk in the middle. Topped balls etc. What I figured out is I was doing a reverse pivot. Weight going left on backswing/right on downswing.

So I shelved the driver and all other clubs and just used a teed 7i. I made the concious decision to work on the last thing my pro gave me last year, swing over first base and hit it over second base. I also payed attention to my weight shift while doing this. Big improvement. I was getting compression. The ball was going nice and high. The ball was starting to the right and then moving left, landing right on my target line.

I did more chipping/pitches in the yard yesterday. That's coming along nicely. I'm starting to see fewer mishits but they are still there.

I also went to the ball field across the street and messed around a bit. I warmed up by doing the drill with my feet together and hitting a teed ball with the 7i. Those went about 120, love the gps, with an arms only swing. I don't know my yardage gaps yet but the interesting thing is my 5i was a 150 club last year. Assuming a 10 yard gap my 7i should be 130ish. I'm pretty sure that adding my legs to the swing will add more then 10 yards. Maybe I'm smoking crack and deluding myself into thinking I'm hitting the ball longer this year, but what the heck.

I don't know when I'll play a round but I'll be using last years yardages unless I start to fly the green.

• 2 weeks later...

First round of the season is done :partytime2: . It was mid 60s and mostly sunny with a pretty good wind blowing. The course I take lessons at opened on Thursday front 9 only.

I got there earlier then my partners. I used that time to get a GHIN membership. I want to get an index so I can track my improvements. No tourney play in the plans.

I did some putting, chipping, and pitching practice while waiting. Putting wasn't too bad. Real slow greens but I mostly worked on speed. I was missing alot to the right though. CHipping was ok and pitching was shakey. I've been working on both of those w/o having a target in mind. I added in the target. The pitching was all over the place. I seemed to have a harder time making good contact then when I did some pitching on the range Thursday.

This course is 3,000 yards on the front. So it's 4 - 500 yards longer then the course I played most of last year. The slope for the front 9 is 116.

1 - 7w ???, this is a short par 4 with the tee box elevated at least 10 yards. I pulled my shot, line drive into trees on the left maybe 40 yards from the tees. Couldn't find the ball. We heard it hit a tree or 2 but that could have caroomed through the adjacent fairway... The course was stacked up so I took a drop. I did a low shot with my 5i under trees into the fairway. I was sitting around 145, so I tried my 6i. I dubbed that and it rolled maybe 10 yards. So I hit my 7i. I got great flight and distance but I pushed it and missed the green to the right. My long chip went through the green, I ended up with 2 chips and 2 putts for an 11 in the end. I'm missing 2 strokes here but can't recall what they were. I bet 1 was a pitch left short.

2 - par 4 7w 171, right down the middle of the fairway. The green is elevate by at least 10 yards and I'm near the bottome of the hill about 140 out. I hit 5i and pushed that right. It hit a tree pin high and dropped. I overclubbed this. I figured the elevated green would add 10 yards. I find the ball no problem and chip on leaving myself short. I had a 10 foot putt and missed. I was within 3 - 4 feet after that but it took 2 more putts for a 6. This is the #3 handicap hole on the course, so I think I did ok.

3 - par 4 3h 170 draw that put me in the fairway behind some trees with no shot to the green. I wanted to try out the 3h I bought this spring ;). I hit a low 7 i that put me 109 yards out from the green. The green is 10 yards lower and there is a stream to carry. The stream is probably 20 yards from my ball. It's also a back pin. My 52* GW was skulled, flew the green into the woods. I saw it hit a large puddle and splash. No sign of the ball and it's red stakes so i drop. I pitch short. Chip through the green. Chip on and 2 putt for 9. This hole always causes me problems but...

4 - par 3, 5i 149. This tee box is elevated so I add about 10 yards and the wind is pretty strong into my face. I hit a draw that landed on the cart path nest to the green. Pitch short, chip through, chip on, 2 putt for 6. A trend is forming!

5 - longer par 4, driver unknown. I sliced this into a greenside bunker by the 1st green. I pulled driver just to try it out. Mistake... Two shots later I'm in the right fairway under a large tree. I hit a low shot maybe 30 yards near the green. It's what I wanted to do, there was no way to pitch w/o hitting the tree I was under. I pitch on and 2 putt for 7. I may of pulled out a 5 if I left driver in the bag and just went with the 7w.

6 - par 3, 7i sliced about 109 and hit a tree. First time I've sliced an iron in awhile. I try to chip the ball out of the trees but it hit a stick on the ground. I get out of the trees with my next shot. I chip through the green again, then chip on and 2 putt for 7. Bah!

7 - par 4, 3h 101, I pushed this right and it was a line drive into the trees. It hits one and kicks into the fairway. Would have been great if it went straight becuase it would have hit near the top of a hill and rolled pretty far downslope towards the green. The balls on some real wet groung but no casual water. Over 200 yards out so I figured 3 wood. I topped that ball and drove it an inch under ground. No way I was gonna try to hack it out so I took an unplayable. 3 w again, this time i sliced it through the trees into the next fairway. I'm about 110 out with some smaller trees in the way. I hit PW perfectly and came to a rest right behind the green, a feet feet off it. I have a downhill chip that I left short but I sunk the putt for my 7. Short game felt good this hole. I didn't blow up there, it was getting to short game range this time.

8 - par 4, 7w 143 worm burner but down the middle. I'm 200+ out with a good lie. Pull out the 3w to try and go for the green. i mishit it and it rolls to about 150 out. I slice my 5i over some trees into an open area by the 6th green/7th tee box. My pitch is short, chip through the green, chip on, 2 putt for 8.

9 - par 5 3h 175. This is a dog leg right and I made it past the corner. Mess up my 3 w and only get maybe 20 yards. 3 wood again and I faded it into the trees. I found the ball in a clearing. No shot at the green but I have one that will get me next to it. I execute that shot. I then pitch on to within 4 feet. My putt barely misses the hole and goes 2 feet past. Putt catches the edge but misses. So i three putt for an 8.

I ended the round with a 61, 3 penalty strokes, 19 putts, 6 pitches, 12 chips. I lost 8 strokes to pitches and chips. I also didn't leave myself any short first putts except for the one on #9.

It was very nice to get out and play. I can't wait to play again. It's obvious that short game MUST be worked on. The long game errors off the tee didn't kill me. Hitting driver was foolish but the 7w was mostly accurate. The 3h wasn't too bad considering I've barely used it.

I already setup a lesson for Monday. I did that on Thursday. The chipping and pitching practice, didn't carry over to the course. I haven't been working with a target yet though. I've been trying to get my contact right. When I add in the target it becomes more difficult.

So I entered my round into GHIN yesterday. It's a 60 because of ESC. When I pulled myself up today I couldn't see that round listed. Is that normal or did my entry yesterday not take?

Well I got out again today and played the front nine again. I chipped a small bucket of balls before playing. I don't have the Utley pitching method down so I gave up on trying it and just chipped. I'm able to get the ball 20 yards or so with the chip motion. I started picking different targets, like pine cones, other balls, a flag, etc. In most cases I landed the ball within a couple feet of my target.

It was in the 50s, overcast and just a light breeze. So I had the course to myself.

1 - par 4, 7w 175 down the middle. I'm 135 out and use my 7i. I push it right of the green. Now I'm 35 yards out and I leave my pitch a bit short. My pitch was really a long chip. I chip on to about 6 feet and 1 putt for bogey. Nice start to the round.

2 - par 4, 7w 163 sliced right. I have no shot at the green. It takes me 2 strokes to get into the fairway about 100 yards out with the green at the top of the hill. I hit my PW and it goes right on me. Hits the same tree as yesterday but kicks towards the green. Damn lucky. I'm 20 yards out and pitch to about 12 feet. 2 putt for 7. My tee shot killed me. It cost me 2 strokes.

3 - par 4, 7w 144 pushed dead right. Misses the first set of trees and hit's the second. I'm about 130ish from the drop off towards the stream and under two trees. I try a backswing and it seems clear. My real backswing did clip a branch near the top. I get the ball out but it's pushed right again. I'm sitting 121 yards out but ten yards above the green. I figure 9i should work. I hit a perfect 9i. It drew a bit and landed on the back left side of the green. By the time I got to the green my ball rolled a bit down the slope(most greens at this course are slightly elevated from the surrounding terrain). My 9i went 134 yards. I think being short is mostly because i don't make great contact but too soon to tell. I chip witin 6 feet but 2 putt for a 6. I am real happy with a 6 on this hole. It's always been a bane to me. I got across in 3 and didn't lose a ball. My tee shot kinda sucked though.

4 - par 3 it's playing 134 according to the gps, so I hit 7i. It goes right and hits a large pine tree, luckily it kicks away from the stream. I'm 83 yards out now, can't remember if I hit my 52 or 56 wedge but I land on the green about 20 feet away. I 2 putt for a bogey 4. Happy with this too. The stream that you need to carry has claimed many of my tee shots and second hits over the years.

5 - long par 4, 7w 96 yards sliced right and hits a tree. I try to play safe with my 7i but slice that under another tree. Bah! I get into the fairway at last and hit my 7i just a touch short and right(shocking!) of the green. I pitch to about 15 feet and two putt for a 7. Not so happy with this hole. It took too many shots to get close to the green.

6 - par 3 playing 135, 7i 86 y sliced right, hits a pine tree and lands in the trees. I do manage to chip the ball into the fairway. I have a long chip but I miscalculate. the green is higher then me so my ball is gonna run more. I know this from Pelz's short game bible but forgot about it. So my chip is too agressive and rolls off the back of the green. I chip on and left myself pretty short. I hit my putt and it catches the right edge of the hole but keeps going about 2 - 3 feet past. The next one lips out and I settle for a 7 after a 3 putt. Can you spell terrible? I can, B o r t a s s, lol.

7 - par 4, 3h 175 in the middle of the fairway. I am about 200 yards out on an uphill lie. I pull my 3w to go for the green. I hit a perfect 3 wood and watch it land just short of the green. It went 188 yards but the uphill lie made the ball go very high in the air. I was expecting the lie to add loft to the club which is why I choose the 3w over another option. I chip on but short again. Miss the par putt but get my bogey. Real happy with this hole. My chip was the only bad shot and it wasn't terrible.

8 - par 4, 7w dubbed about 96 yards down the middle of the fairway. I'm a bit over 250 out. Figure I'll use 3w. Mishit it and it rolls to about 50 yards or so. 3w again and i slice this one deep into some trees on the right. I find my ball and I have a clear path into the fairway. I use my 7i and hit a punch that knicks a branch but lands in the fairway. I leave my first chip short, then chip on and 2 putt for an 8. Real bad hole for me. I wonder if I should have not used the 3w. It worked out well the previous hole and i had a good lie each time.

9 - par 5 7w 119 sliced over some trees and I find it next to the 6th green and a greenside bunker. I have an opening through the trees to my fairway. It's a path that was made by golf carts. I try a 5i punch because I need it to stay low. I push it a bit and it almost makes it through the trees but hits a trunk and bounces into the fairway but 30 yards further from the hole. My 3w was crap the previous hole so I decided to use my 3h. I'm slicing the ball so I aim a bit left. I make solid contact but slice it. I didn't aim left enough. I can't find the ball. I eventually make it to about 85 yards out. I have no 85 yard shot so I guessed on a 3/4 52*. My aim was off and I missed the green long. My chip leaves me 20 feet from the cup but I'm on the upper tier and the flag is on the lower tier of the green. I do 2 putt it and card a 9.

So an awesome 59 this time. 4 pitches, 8 chips, and 18 putts. I did tighten up my short game just a touch by always using the chipping motion for my long pitches. I still am leaving myself too far from the hole though.

I talked to the pro after the round and he wanted to see my card. He knows my short game needs some work but feels that the first thing we need to do is get me off the tee. I don't know why I'm a slice machine this round. Most of my work on the range has been to send the ball left. My 7w is normally fairly reliable but it wasn't today. My low scores are always when I hit a solid tee shot into the fairway.

The good news is he thinks Utley's short game approach is the best out there. That happens to be what I've been trying to learn. He mentioned that my chips should be within 4 feet of the cup and went outside to show me. Sure enough he had the setup Utley describes and the same with a pitch he did. I'm glad that we we focus on shortgame, he already likes and seems to use what I want to learn.

Don't think I'll play tommorow, I can't remember the last time I played two days in a row. if i do anything it'll be working on chipping at the practice green.

Today's lesson was long. About 90 minutes. We went over alot it seems.

Tweaked my grip again to be stronger. That felt pretty weird at first but got better as things went along.

I still don't release consistently I'm still doing the drill with my feet together and hitting a teed ball to the left. I have no problem releasing the club in that drill at all. Not so true with my normal swing.

He did add something newer today. Keeping the club on plane with my backswing. I tend to wrap the club around behind me. I'm doing the dreaded OTT move. We spent alot of time on this. I know we did something similiar last year but it felt a bit different this time. I need to take the club away to the outside. My arms will eventually force the club into position. What I'm trying to say is that by bring the club straight back, eventually, the club will move up and back along the plane because my arms are attached to my chest, just like a ball on a string. You may throw it straight but if the string is attached to a fixed point the ball will eventually start to travel in a circle. No rocket science, and i've read about this stuff, but never grokked it before. not saying I do now but I have a better understanding of it.

He also discussed the importance of tempo. I'm too quick, no surprise there. I bought Tour tempo years ago. I wonder if I still have the CD. I never worked with it but since I have an iPod it's easier to do.

I also need to make sure I make a complete follow through. I sometimes don't and end up with an armsy swing etc.

He also had me pitch and chip some balls. The only real changes he made there is to widen my stance when I pitch and to pay attention to my setup. I was aiming a bit off and setting up a touch open. I had much better time today with the pitching and chipping then in previous range sessions. My biggest hurdle in this area is developing feel. i have a good idea on how to setup and execute the shots. it's figuring out how far the ball goes and what happens when it lands. I spent some time last night on a practice green chipping. I was maybe 10% good. Good meaning I ended up with the ball inside 3 feet or so.

I'm to split my practice time 50/50 between long game and short game. This will change as I get my full swing in better shape. The money will be in the short game but I need to be able to get off the tee and get near the green first.

I did hit the range tonight to work on things. What a rollercoaster. I started off pretty good and then hit a rough patch for a number of balls. Then I hit 5 or so in a row like I'm supposed to and I was thinking ' yeah, it's clicking'. Then I started mishitting again. I mixed in a few pitches just to try not to get into a big rut of bad shots. Near the end I decided to put my feet together and hit balls off the tee but making sure I swung to the outside and kept on plane. I did a half dozen of these and then went back to full shots. My full shots were much better after that.

So I have an idea of what i should mix in as a drill to help ingrain the on plane backswing.

The only odd thing is I'm trying to hit a draw. Early on when I was making good contact I was getting the nice draw. But later on i was still getting good contact, I can tell from the sound, but I was fading the ball. No idea why that would be. At least the fade is playable. that won't put me into the trees to much.

Weather will be bad the next few days so Thur/Friday will be the soonest I can get to the range again to work on anything.

I am optimistic because I was hitting solid shots in my lesson and on the range later. Need alot of work because I still mess it up more then I do it right.

Too bad I'm not one of those natural swingers that pick up the game and break 100 inside of 7 months. I get to do it the hard way but there's no reason why I can't do it. It's all gonna be about practice and working at it. Good thing I don't mind range time.

Glad to see you out hitting!

From what you have recently posted I am sure you will get to your goal this year. All you have to do is stop falling on a hand grenade once a hole and your score will decline quickly. Work hard, and you will do great this year.

Keep up the reports!

It'll definately get better this year. I am seeing the validity in the stuff I've read about how to improve your scores. I have a shot at a good score if I get my tee shot in and down the fairway a bit. The course I've played this year is alot longer then the normal course I play. So I expect higher scores. I also think it's harder even if the slope doesn't reflect it. At least it's harder on my game.

I need to get a touch more conservative with my recovery shots from the junk. I'm not trying to do a Tiger or Phil but I'm probably still a touch to aggressive. I want to get into the fairway but I've been shading my play a bit to get it closer to the hole. This will sometimes make a mishit stay in the junk. For example I may be better off trying to get the ball in play sideways, 90* angle or more from the line to the green, then say trying to get in play by aiming at 45*. That way if I do lose the recovery to the right it'tll probably be in the short grass. That happened to me on round I played. Under the trees on the right. I aimed to get into the fairway but not enough to take the ride side out of trouble. So I sliced my little punch even more right under the next set of trees.

I am learning things as I play though, which makes me happy. I had a chip that bounced unexpectly and rolled in a curve away from the cup. I looked at the green again and noticed the entire green was angled towards were my ball went. On a level green I'd have rolled near the hole, but the fact the green wasn't level, my ball kicked right and curved right as it rolled. It was a real subtle thing to notice.

I wanted to just tell you how much I have enjoyed reading this thread - and I admire you for your tenacity, honesty here, and your integrity. How many people do we know when they play that they say they shot a number, and we know they had a few foot wedges, etc - and their scores were not true. You are not doing that, so for that alone I really give you props. I know some of my most memorable shots were from not-so-great previous efforts that left me in a bind.

Reading what you are going through brings me back to my struggles and efforts as my game has progressed. I first would give anything to break 100 on a regular basis- and then I wanted to break 90 consistently, and now the few times I can deliver a round in the 70's I can't be happy, I want to know why I can't do that all the time. The better I play the more goofy my head/brain works trying to bring it home, and I start playing a defensive "don't do this, don't do that" game. It just never ends!

(I almost relate this to the internet singer Susan Boyle from the English talent show last week - and how the hot blond babe judging her said what a wake up call it was for everyone to hear her sing when they weren't expecting that. I consider your thread you are sharing here a refreshing reminder to all of us of the struggles that we all have gone through and continue to do so in this silly thing we call a game!)

It sounds like there's nothing more that you haven't been doing to improve, other than getting your own "BORTASS PROJECT" on TGC with Haney!! I would just like to offer a few things that helped me bring my scores down you might find useful in your efforts.

Every night I would swing a weighted club 15-20 minutes, just an old driver with a weighted donut you can buy ($5.00) rather than a whole lot more for the Medicus of some such thing. That really helped with my rhythm, tempo as well as distance. The only problem was my wife asked me to wait until it got dark to do it, the neighbors were talking!! But I'd bring the radio outside and listen to the ballgame, I found it a very peaceful endeavor. But I did it pretty religiously.

Also - don't get hung up on your distances. If you hit your 5 iron 150 yards - that's how far I hit mine - then hit your 5 iron. I've seen more swings ruined by guys over=swinging and trying to swing too hard, and when they do hit the one out of five shots correctly they look at you and say "I told you I could hit my pitching wedge 145 yards!" In the meantime I'm finding my ball in the fairway and swinging in control. I'm no Freddie Couples who I grew up with - but I've had people I play with compliment my swing. If you ever get a chance, watch the LPGA, and how nice and in sync their swings are, without over swinging. We all can learn from watching them play their game, and how in control they are.

I have found hybrids have saved 5-7 shots a round for me. (or maybe just putting my pride aside is what helps me best!) If they are good enough for the seniors, they are good enough for me! Like I learned the game 30 years ago, it's a game of accuracy, not distance. When I'd come home complaining about my lack of distance, I was told that's why you carry 14 clubs!! So don't get all hung up on the distant thing.

With so many choices these days - keep working on that driver, get a swing that works for you. It really takes the pressure off the rest of your game to be able to come into the greens with a lesser club. One small swing thought for driver or whatever your teeing off with : If you are looking at a watch face and you set up your club face at 3 oclock on the dial and are fading/slicing, just for grins next time set up with the club face pointed at 4 oclock on the dial. Just try it a few times to see how the ball flies.

The only other suggestion I might offer - give yourself a break once in a while. If you do get a chance to get out and play afternoon solo rounds - leave the scorecard behind. Hit two shots - pick the best ball, then hit two from that spot, until you reach the green. But don't keep score. Just swing the club and enjoy the scenery. It helped me in taking the pressure off each and every shot - and I was able to bring that swing and thinking on the course when I played my regular game.

But you are sure doing it the right way. Again I wanted to compliment you on your diligence and enthusiasm. I saw another thread here about a guy complaining how he can't break par!! So keep at it - don't let the small detours get in your way.

And I tip my hat for you being so open and honest about your struggles. It's most refreshing. If I ever get up to NH to see my cousins - we play a really neat course in Wynham - I'd really enjoy the chance to hit it with you.

Keep up the good work. I'm rooting for you.

Thanks Parmark. Sorry for the delay but Golfwrx got added to the 'malicious website' filter we have at work, so I can't access it as easily now ;(.

Distance doesn't bother me. It seems short to me but like you said I hit it what I hit it. I'll gain distance once I have a better swing.

The idea of no scorecard and playing 2 balls is pretty good. my only thing is I sometimes have a hard enough time keeping track of 1 ball.

I do have a weighted driver but I may not be able to swing it for a bit. More on that later.

So I have not played since my lesson. I also only had time to hit the range 1 additional time which was yesterday. Not too pretty. only 2 good shots from my small bucket of balls. Alot of low screamers to the right and some slices.

Now I may have an involuntay golf vacation coming up. My right shoulder is messed up :black eye: . I play volleyball and it's been getting progressively more sore. Last thursday was the last night that I'll be playing that for who knows how long. I have an appointment at 11 Wednesday to see a specialist. I don't know what they'll say but swinging a golf club does not cause me any pain. Lifting my arm to the side or above my head does. I'm also getting some pain just sitting here. I think it's my rotator cuff but really don't know. It's gotten progressively worse over the last 3 weeks but only after volleyball, not golf.

But if the doc says no golf, then no golf shall it be. :shout:

I went to the course today to practice chipping and putting and to talk to the pro. I told him I needed a drill. he took me outside and we had a 5 minute refresher that will payback big dividends I think. He stiuck a shaft in the ground to match the angle of my SW shaft. Then I step forward from it and swing the club outside the shaft on the backswing and inside it on the downswing. He also gave me a key piece of info. At the top of the backswing, start the downswing with my hips and just let my arms drop. I've been rotating my shoulders to get my arms going in the downswing. It felt alot different.

I did not hit any balls because of my shoulder and cuz i wanted to work shortgame. I do have a driveway marker, so i can do this drill at home because I don't really need a ball. Swing back and check my plane, then swing through. Real excited about this.

I also asked him what kind of swing 1 plane vs 2 plane that we were building. His answered confirmed what he said the first time he gave me a lesson. He works with what people have for a swing. He's had people say teach me a 1 plane swing and he's like 'ok' otherwise he doesn't try to fit everyone into the same mold. He said I have a hybrid swing, it's not 1 plane but it's not 2 plane either. I don't really care what my swing as long as it's repeatable and gets good contact.

My chipping and putting was ok today. I played the little game I decided to call 'up and down' on the practice green. 3 balls in the same general area all to the same hole. I score each hole by the combined score for all 3 balls. So a 6 is par and a 9 is bogey. there should be 1 chip and 1 putt per ball. The best i did was a couple 7s, with some 9s and 1 10 in the mix. My distance control on the chipping is off. It will get better with more practice. My putting was good. I seem to be pretty good inside 3 feet. I rarely miss those. I even sunk some that were in the 8+ foot range(real bad chips).

Anyhow I'm happy with that aha moment with the pro today. I'm glad he wants to see people get better. Also the short game practice was pretty fun. That makes it soo much easier to practice.

Now hopefully the Dr. isn't all doom and gloom on me. I figure I'll be stuck with PT but should be able to chip and putt still I'd think. So it could be a blessing to force me to work my short game.

I wanted to just tell you how much I have enjoyed reading this thread - and I admire you for your tenacity, honesty here, and your integrity. How many people do we know when they play that they say they shot a number, and we know they had a few foot wedges, etc - and their scores were not true. You are not doing that, so for that alone I really give you props. I know some of my most memorable shots were from not-so-great previous efforts that left me in a bind.

Reading what you are going through brings me back to my struggles and efforts as my game has progressed. I first would give anything to break 100 on a regular basis- and then I wanted to break 90 consistently, and now the few times I can deliver a round in the 70's I can't be happy, I want to know why I can't do that all the time. The better I play the more goofy my head/brain works trying to bring it home, and I start playing a defensive "don't do this, don't do that" game. It just never ends!

(I almost relate this to the internet singer Susan Boyle from the English talent show last week - and how the hot blond babe judging her said what a wake up call it was for everyone to hear her sing when they weren't expecting that. I consider your thread you are sharing here a refreshing reminder to all of us of the struggles that we all have gone through and continue to do so in this silly thing we call a game!)

It sounds like there's nothing more that you haven't been doing to improve, other than getting your own "BORTASS PROJECT" on TGC with Haney!! I would just like to offer a few things that helped me bring my scores down you might find useful in your efforts.

Every night I would swing a weighted club 15-20 minutes, just an old driver with a weighted donut you can buy ($5.00) rather than a whole lot more for the Medicus of some such thing. That really helped with my rhythm, tempo as well as distance. The only problem was my wife asked me to wait until it got dark to do it, the neighbors were talking!! But I'd bring the radio outside and listen to the ballgame, I found it a very peaceful endeavor. But I did it pretty religiously.

Also - don't get hung up on your distances. If you hit your 5 iron 150 yards - that's how far I hit mine - then hit your 5 iron. I've seen more swings ruined by guys over=swinging and trying to swing too hard, and when they do hit the one out of five shots correctly they look at you and say "I told you I could hit my pitching wedge 145 yards!" In the meantime I'm finding my ball in the fairway and swinging in control. I'm no Freddie Couples who I grew up with - but I've had people I play with compliment my swing. If you ever get a chance, watch the LPGA, and how nice and in sync their swings are, without over swinging. We all can learn from watching them play their game, and how in control they are.

I have found hybrids have saved 5-7 shots a round for me. (or maybe just putting my pride aside is what helps me best!) If they are good enough for the seniors, they are good enough for me! Like I learned the game 30 years ago, it's a game of accuracy, not distance. When I'd come home complaining about my lack of distance, I was told that's why you carry 14 clubs!! So don't get all hung up on the distant thing.

With so many choices these days - keep working on that driver, get a swing that works for you. It really takes the pressure off the rest of your game to be able to come into the greens with a lesser club. One small swing thought for driver or whatever your teeing off with : If you are looking at a watch face and you set up your club face at 3 oclock on the dial and are fading/slicing, just for grins next time set up with the club face pointed at 4 oclock on the dial. Just try it a few times to see how the ball flies.

The only other suggestion I might offer - give yourself a break once in a while. If you do get a chance to get out and play afternoon solo rounds - leave the scorecard behind. Hit two shots - pick the best ball, then hit two from that spot, until you reach the green. But don't keep score. Just swing the club and enjoy the scenery. It helped me in taking the pressure off each and every shot - and I was able to bring that swing and thinking on the course when I played my regular game.

But you are sure doing it the right way. Again I wanted to compliment you on your diligence and enthusiasm. I saw another thread here about a guy complaining how he can't break par!! So keep at it - don't let the small detours get in your way.

And I tip my hat for you being so open and honest about your struggles. It's most refreshing. If I ever get up to NH to see my cousins - we play a really neat course in Wynham - I'd really enjoy the chance to hit it with you.

Keep up the good work. I'm rooting for you.

Great post! I couldn't agree more.

Congratulations on your tenacity. reading this has been inspiring, you clearly love the game.

I struggled for years to break 90. Whenever I got close I would just collapse. I even gave up the game for a while. The truth was I needed to learn about myself and understand my self-worth had nothing to do with my score.

I like most high handicappers at the time was an OTT slicer. When I came back to the game I basically didn't even play. I just went to the practice facilities at my club 3-4 days a week for about 4-5 months. I took a video camera with me and rebuilt my swing from scratch (I would've loved to take lessons, but I could either afford the membership or the lessons, but not both).

Long story short I am now a 6 hcp. My low round is a 2 under 70, and I am much more comfortable in my own skin in all areas of my life. I wish you the best. One of the best things about the journey is realizing the possibilities that exist inside of you. It is an interesting thing, when I hit a drive in the 250-260 range to look back and remember it wasn't but four years ago that I never thought I would be able to hit my drives over 200 yards even on my best day.

Keep pushing and keep us informed.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Thanks Parmark. Sorry for the delay but Golfwrx got added to the 'malicious website' filter we have at work, so I can't access it as easily now ;(.

Heh. Same here. Don't know why it would be marked malicious.

Do you happen to work for a very large insurance company that has it's headquarters in Indy?

Went to the range tonight. Golf doesn't cause any pain so why not?

I borrowed a broken shaft from the pro and set it up like he showed me yesterday.

Awesome results. I sliced 1 ball and I hit the shaft on my downswing, so my OTT move was in place. I also hit a number of fat shots but the divots from the fat shots were fome in to out, just like i was supposed to swing. We had real strong winds tonight and they were blowing right to left. I hit a few nice high draws. I hit some others that stayed right but still curved left. I also hit a number of hooks. No duck hooks though. All curving was towards the end of the ball flight.

If you are OTT this drill is great to get the in to out swing going. The shaft is intimidating at first but you get used to it. I wasn't thinking about it much towards the end of the session. I can't wait to hit a few more hundred balls like that. The shaft gives me feed back on my swing plane, which I was always missing before w/o the pro watching me.

Damn I am so excited. I can't say enough good stuff about Rick. So glad he's the head pro at the course. His attitude towards teaching really helps me. I know I'm not on my own in between lessons, and that's real nice for peace of mind etc.

Parmark's on the money with his post, Bort. It'll come. Hopefully the shoulder issue can be easliy solved, and you'll be back on the course quickly.

If you're in South Florida sometime, PM me and I'll set up a game. It'd be a pleasure to play with you.

if I ever get down there, you'll be the first person I PM about it. I think we'd have fun.

One of the best things about the journey is realizing the possibilities that exist inside of you. It is an interesting thing, when I hit a drive in the 250-260 range to look back and remember it wasn't but four years ago that I never thought I would be able to hit my drives over 200 yards even on my best day.

Keep pushing and keep us informed.

I think that's why I love playing so much. I see the flashes of brilliance once in awhile that shows me what I am capable of. Ok, so maybe brilliance is a bit much but ya know what I mean. The well played shots in the midst of the drek. They tease me like a beautiful woman that you only glimpse out of the corner of your eye.

My flash in the pan round set the bar for me although a bit high. I shot 25 on the last 6 holes that round and they are par 23. Of course I was at 21 after 3 which is 11 over but that stretch really opened my eyes to the possibilities.

Golf is me against me. I hit my shots and write down the score. If I have fun, which I mostly do, it was a successful round. Can't ask for anything more.

It still amazes me though since I'm so competitive. I guess it's a sign i matured at least a little in the last 20 years, not that my wife would agree with that statement :partytime2:

Keep up the great, work, this is an excellent thread for any golfer and it even helps me realize how much work it will take me to reach my goals. I find myself in a similar place as you, I have been shooting high 90's this year so far...really struggling with a slice and I've never had that problem. My goal is to get into consistent low 90's and I have been plugging away at the range trying to find my swing. I finally got into a groove a few days ago and I played one of the best rounds I have played in a long time but still shot a 99. Taking 3 shots out of bunkers is not good lol. Anyway, headed to the range tonight and started off great, demoed the Calloway ft-9 and I was crushing it. I get to the last 20 or so balls and I start slicing it, its amazing how fast it comes it goes. I went from hitting the most fairways I've ever hit, mostly with nice high draws, to slicing the ball in less than 24 hours. I have been trying to remain calm and remember its only a game. I find that if I am out on a gorgeous day, it really doesn't matter in the end. I think if I keep making a conscious effort to practice and work on my fundamentals my game will come.

What is the ott thing with the broken shaft you were doing ?

Heh. Same here. Don't know why it would be marked malicious.

Do you happen to work for a very large insurance company that has it's headquarters in Indy?

Nah, I work out in California. For a drug store chain that was purchased by a larger drug store chain.

Could you explain the specifics of how the shaft drill works again? I think you said you have to step forward to swing - how does that work?? I'd like to try this...

Even when I miss my shots left - last Saturday I hit a nice draw off the tee -unfortunately it reached the water that I can't usually reach - I really don't get mad. I just tell myself it's better than hitting a slice!!

Keep it up...

Personally I have had great results with Golftec. They do a swing eval for a reasonable amount of money ($25) then if you want to continue you can schedule followup lessons. I get multi-lesson packages to reduce per-lesson cost. They use video analysis and compare your swing at critical points to those of pros. Following lessons they give you drills to create the muscle memory needed to ingrain the correct swing versus if you go out and just practice without specific goals/drills in mind.

my .02

good luck!!

Ping G30 9.5*
Ping G25 4w, 3h
Mizuno MP 33 5i-PW
Mizuno MP T Series 53*, 58*
SC Studio Style Newport 2