What shot to play when confronted with a strong right-to-left wind?

anth

Tell us your strategy
Just wanted your thoughts on this one...

I often hear it said that you shouldn't fight the wind. Yesterday, when confronted with a very strong right-to-left wind on a Par 5 tee, I chose to aim to the right-hand side of the fairway and hit a draw. Ball started online and stayed in the air for a long time and I missed the fairway left (almost in the water hazard). Result = no GIR, bogey.

Then on the 18th tee - Par 3 with the same wind. About 180 yards, slightly uphill. Same strategy - I took aim outside the right-hand side of the green and missed the green left. Result = add another bogey to the card.

Should I have just taken aim down the centre and played for a fade that would have held-up against the wind? Should I have played for a lower trajectory and tried to keep it under the wind?

Tell us what your strategy is and why.

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean you hit a deliberate draw or just wanted to let a straight shot ride the wind and end up with a draw shape?

I'm working on the premise that there is no such thing as a straight shot - at least, not in my arsenal! All shots will have some degree of sidespin, hence some degree of sideways movement

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Well, it all really depends on where the pin is and what the surrounds are like.

1) Left pin- I'd just hit it normally and let it ride the wind into the pin.

2) Right pin- if it's not too strong I'd start it at the pin and drift into the middle or even start it right edge. If it's really strong, I'd hit a low cut and try to hold it against the wind, especially if I could run it up the green.

3) Anything else- I generally try not to shape it against the wind, just in case it dies down.

Josh

Well, if I were a righty I would play the low cut to most open greens, but since I'm a lefty and have trouble drawing the ball I don't work it into the wind. I'd play it back in the stance and hit a low ball underneath.

If theres water or a bunker in front I might play it up in the wind and outside the hole letting the wind carry it back in.

For me, it all depends on the trouble and where the pin is. If the pin is on the back middle, or back left, I would aim right and hit a draw to the middle and let the ball release to the hole. If the pin is up front middle, front left or front right, I would take an extra club and hold one into the wind.

I would only play a lower trajectory when wanting to let the ball run out, which would be to a back hole location. If the pin is in the front, I would want a higher trajectory to make the ball stop close to where it hits on the green.

I also would tee the ball on a tee when wanting to hit the higher trajectory shot. If I wanted a more penetrating ball flight I, generally, don't use a tee.

If I were hitting driver, then I would aim right and hit a straight shot or a small cut.

With a 3 wood, I would aim slightly left and hit a low stinger.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I would just tee it up, aim left fairway and rip it. Depending on how strong the wind is, it would ease my driver slice-of-death.

In all seriousness, it would depend on how protected the fairway is. If it's a tree-lined fairway and going above the trees=death, then I'll punch a 3w out there under the tree line. If it's an unprotected fairway and the ball will be effected by the wind no matter what trajectory, I will play for wind, adjust aim to the right, hit a normal shot and ride the wind back over the fairway. That, of course, being strategy for for par 4's and par 5's. Par 3's, I will usually try use a low draw, as that's the shot I can best control distance with my irons. For me, I find that I score better if I always aim for center of greens, rather than pin hunting.

Well I had to deal with this yesterday on a par 3 175 yards. In S FL we had threatening weather. I was banking on no rain and hopefully no lightning. The rain and lightning held off but the wind was coming off the ocean in gusts up to 30 mph E to W. The hole was S to N so the wind was R to L.

I am a high handicapper so I cannot hit draws, cuts, flops, stingers, etc. I am still just trying to avoid slices, duck hooks, skulls, tops and shanks. :clapping:

I just aimed a bit more towards the right into the wind and ended up on the dance floor. The 30 mph gusts lasted for about 45 minutes but the wind did not bother me too much during the round. I think the Laddie X handled the wind well. A softer ball like a Titleist might have floated in the wind more.

Well I had to deal with this yesterday on a par 3 175 yards. In S FL we had threatening weather. I was banking on no rain and hopefully no lightning. The rain and lightning held off but the wind was coming off the ocean in gusts up to 30 mph E to W. The hole was S to N so the wind was R to L.

What course were you playing? Hillcrest?

Nope but it is a Devlin and Von Hagee designed course like Hilcrest. Those two must have done every course in S FL in the mid to early 1960s. They did one down in Key Largo that has a very good teaching pro (Ocean Reef). I was playing at Pompano Municipal with 36 holes. It is only about a 1.2 miles from the ocean and the wind blows right down 14th street caueway.

Hilcrest looks a bit nicer but Pompano is pretty decent for a muni. Just getting back into golf but I played Jacaranda, Bonaventure and Rolling Hills years ago. Deer Creek and Pompano are the closest to me. I have not been out to Palm Aire. Old Crystal Lake is also close but it is pretty run down. I played private Ormond Beach about 6 months ago and it was right on AIA but not that much nicer than Pompano. I also like Ocean Breeze in NE Boca (old Boca Tecca), the people in the pro shop, bag room and driving range are super.

Courses Devlin designed

http://www.brucedevlin.com/course_list.htm

Nope but it is a Devlin and Von Hagee designed course like Hilcrest. Those two must have done every course in S FL in the mid to early 1960s. They did one down in Key Largo that has a very good teaching pro (Ocean Reef). I was playing at Pompano Municipal with 36 holes. It is only about a 1.2 miles from the ocean and the wind blows right down 14th street caueway.

Hilcrest looks a bit nicer but Pompano is pretty decent for a muni. Just getting back into golf but I played Jacaranda, Bonaventure and Rolling Hills years ago. Deer Creek and Pompano are the closest to me. I have not been out to Palm Aire. Old Crystal Lake is also close but it is pretty run down. I played private Ormond Beach about 6 months ago and it was right on AIA but not that much nicer than Pompano. I also like Ocean Breeze in NE Boca (old Boca Tecca), the people in the pro shop, bag room and driving range are super.

Courses Devlin designed

I live near Colony West, so I'm out there pretty often. Never played Palm-Aire either, but that'll soon change since a friend's son is one of the teaching pros there. Emerald Hills was a good test, but the course is lush in the summer and too expensive unless you have a charity card. I also play Sunrise CC, Inverrary's two, Jacaranda's two, and the Springtree executive course when time is short. One place you should consider if you don't mind heading out by Jacaranda is Plantation Preserve. It's a complete redo that's maturing nicely. When the trees grow taller, it'll be a REALLY fine course.

Have you ever played Hollywood Beach? It's a Donald Ross design, and those inverted dish greens are backbreacking, even though the course is short.

Hope to see you out there sometime! Cheers! :rolleyes:

Courses Devlin designed

I live near Colony West, so I'm out there pretty often. Never played Palm-Aire either, but that'll soon change since a friend's son is one of the teaching pros there. Emerald Hills was a good test, but the course is lush in the summer and too expensive unless you have a charity card. I also play Sunrise CC, Inverrary's two, Jacaranda's two, and the Springtree executive course when time is short. One place you should consider if you don't mind heading out by Jacaranda is Plantation Preserve. It's a complete redo that's maturing nicely. When the trees grow taller, it'll be a REALLY fine course.

Have you ever played Hollywood Beach? It's a Donald Ross design, and those inverted dish greens are backbreacking, even though the course is short.

Hope to see you out there sometime! Cheers! :yes:

Ronzo:

I hope the other posters don't get mad at us for hijacking this thread. Never played Hollywood Beach but I heard it is a good course. Colony West has the two courses. I never played them but the championship one is supposed to be nice.

Palm Aire has 3 courses and 1 exec. Twilight summer prices are good. They have ProFusion deal which is food, golf, unlimited range balls, a sleeve of Nike's and other things. A neighbor played there recently. I will have to check out Plant Preserve. 20 + years ago I used to play American exec on Fed Hwy in Lauderdale which backs up to private Coral Ridge (drool). I would love to play Boca Hotel as Dave Pelz has one of his schools there but I am not a member and it is expensive. Is Inverrary still well maintained?

This summer I will probably play Boca Dunes

http://bocadunes.com/home/

Hopefully Deer Creek in Deerfield at least once (nice course).

http://www.deercreekflorida.com/index.php

Maybe Ocean Breeze in Boca (reasonable prices and nice people at the pro shop/course)

http://oceanbreezegolf.com/

One you may want to try out is Heron Bay in Coral Spirngs. Not that far north for you. Summer rates $27 after 4:30 pm. $35 or 40 after 2 pm. They used to have the Honda Classic there from 1997 to 2002. I have not played there but it is public or at least semi-private. It is not cheap but for a once and a while treat.

http://www.heronbaygolfclub.net/course/her...5&RN=453485

I can afford to play decent courses but I like Pompano which is $11 with my hand cart. I need to get those jogging type of golf shoes because I have been jogging to my shots with the cart. It may look goofy but it is good exercise. I am slowly improving my game.

See you on the links. :rolleyes:

I hit a small draw with just about every club. In this situation I'd aim right and draw one in, even to a right pin. I can cut the ball pretty well if I have to but the one miss I do have when I try to cut a shot is that double cross which in this situation would end up absoluetly dead. I'd hit 7 or 8 iron depending on wind because the draw wind would turn my natural draw into a 1-2 club helping wind.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Ronzo and Franc, i'm in Delray Beach. We should start a thread in the Florida Chapter section and all play a round sometime.

Love to! Summers are uncertain on weather, but Saturday AM is usually good for me. (Except this week -- mango festival in Fairchild Gardens.) Inverrary, maybe? Or Boca Raton Muni? PM me, so we won't threadjack. :rolleyes: