2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Soaring with the Eagles

tarik

what was you best eagle?
Lets here about your favorite eagle.

Mine was probably my first eagle ever, I was 16 and my brother and I were playing a round in summer. I was playing terrible and decided to play the remaining three holes with only one club per hole. The first hole was #16, a 500 yard par 5. I chose the driver and hit the best drive all day, then went driver off the deck (a shot I could never hit well). To my suprise it ended up about 40 yards back of the hole. I seemed to be doing pretty well with the driver and the fairway was recently cut and dry, so I decided to chip up on the green to get a chance at birdie with only a driver (something that would have been impressive on its own). I read the green for a second and addressed the ball, I hit it clean and it started tracking right toward the epicenter of the break, then it broke down and fell right in the hole! At first there was a pause between my brother and I, then a look of amazement, followed by me hoping on my driver and ridding like a horse! Its something I will never forget and something I will never stop bragging about, lets see Tiger do that!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two come to mind, an eagle and my double eagle.

1) Scramble with my brother, dad, and friend, I eagled a 550ish yd. par 5 on my own ball. Pounded a driver 290 (good for 8yrs. ago) leaving myself 260 into the green. Hit a 1 iron that took two hops, checked, and lipped out leaving myself about 18 inches for eagle.

2) Back in HS match, a 500 yd. par 5 with a 2 tiered fairway. My drive came to rest just short of the upper tier, leaving myself only 215 yds in but on a SEVERE upslope. Took my 3 wood just trying to punch it up close to the green. With a 1/2 swing I pured it and the ball bounced and bounced up onto the green. From where we were standing, it looked like it went over. Spent the next several minutes looking for the ball, when I was about to give up and go replay the shot.........looked in the hole and there it was !!

I was hitting balls before a lunchtime tee off. Had been on the range for around 30 mins, and still had 15 to go before my time.

Walked out to start collecting my balls. Towards the last few I saw my playing partners (not regular one) walking over to the tee.....Im thinking they must be having a few practice swings.

Then I see the two jerks hitting their tee shots?! A full 10 minutes early :cry:

I panicked, had to leave a few balls on the range, and started running back to my car. Had to dump the shag bag, and get to the first tee.....all the time thinking - why the hell am I doing the running here?

I had signed in at the pro shop, knew what time I was off, a full ten minutes early and the two jackasses were in the wrong - not me.....

So, Im running to the tee, shouting as discreetly as I can - as they amble down the fairway (cool) (can you shout discreetly?) and finally make it to the tee.....

They stand to the side of the fairway and I proceed to hit my tee shot - slightly out of breath, into the trees right :crazy:

So, I catch up with them and have go at my two partners for playing away early and not waiting! Finish the hole with a silly bogey.....not impressed.

So then, second tee box (520 yd Par 5) Ive eventually got my breath back, and my heart rate down to a sensible level....hit my drive - middle of the fairway, 260 out. (UK remember, colder here! )

Get to my ball and then crunch my 3 wood onto the green to 10 feet!

Partners were stuck for words, and I was a little surprised myself - esp after the start I made / had!

Anyway, got to the green and canned the putt! :smilie_titty:

Favourite Eagle of all time - not even sure what I finished with that day, dont really care, but the eagle felt good!!

Scott :huh:

PS - Sorry for the rambling pre-eagle bit, but it holds the whole story together.

1 comes to mind: I was playing Colbert hills Golf Club in Manhattan Kansas with a friend and on the back side a dogleg left shortish par 4 I holed out from 105 with my sandwedge. It hit past the hole to the right and spun back and to the left and vanished. Now the only thing I have left to do is get a double eagle.

As per earlier posts, two spring to mind.

1) Driveable par 4 280 yards all uphill, had started off triple bogey then a double so was not in the best frame of minds.... drilled the driver to 8 feet and sank the putt for eagle. Finished with a gross 75.

2) 555 yards longest hole on the course, after hitting this green in two on approx 4 occasions, never managed to hole the eagle putt. Until one sunny Friday.

- Naff drive into the left rough.

- Nailed 3 wood flier around 270

- Had about 60 to the pin, played a punchy sand wedge, pitched 2 feet short, one hop forward then trickled into the hole..... Playing as a pair in betterball, playing partner went more nuts than I did..... (cool)

PING LST 8.5' / Stretch 13.5' / G400 17'
Callaway Apex Pro 4 to PW, Mack Daddy Forged 50, 55, 60
Scotty X5, Vice Pro Plus in White

My favorite is my one and only double eagle (or albatross as it is called back in SA) to make the Eastern Province side way back in 1972. Ihad to win the last hole in a match , hit Driver over the trees on the left on the dog leg, my opponent did the same and we were lying side by side. Gabbed a 6 iron and knocked in the hole, for 2. The best thing was the look on the guys face when the ball dissapeared into hole. Needless to say he did not come close with his attempt.

Match with one of my buddies was all square on 13, which in this tournament, was our 17th hole. It is a Par 5 of 563 yards. I outdrove my buddy by about 15 yards, and I've got 256 left in. He lays up to about 100 yards. I pull 2 iron and hit it to 2 feet. He makes par, I make eagle to go one up. Best 2 iron of my life, high with a little draw. One bounce, a little release, and it snuggles up close. He flipped me off and just laughed.

The week before, on 18, I hit 3 wood about 265, and holed a SW from 107 for eagle on the same course, but the eagle on the par 5 was more satisfying being in a tournament and hitting that shot to go 1 up with one to play. I think it shook him up so bad that he was done after that.

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

My most memorable was on the last hole of one of my local courses. It was almost dark and couldn't even see the green I was out about 190 uphill into the wind and ripped a 3 Iron. I figured it was on the green but when we got there the ball wasn't in sight so we looked around for a few minutes and we were about to give up when my buddy looks in the hole and pulls out my ball :huh:

The funny thing is that I have a hard time making a 4 on that hole usually (cool)

Mine was during the member guest tournament at my buddies course. We were playing good going into the par 5 18th hole on the last day of the tournament. He was out of it after hitting his drive into the gutch, I had 210 left to the hole. I hit a 5 iron about 6 feet below the hole and sunk the putt for a 3. We ended up winning the tournament by 1 stroke. He still talks about that shot.

well mine is probley my first tournament eagel. it was this summer at the refuge in lake havasue az. i was playing with my "rival" (a kid my age thats full of himself and his dad thinks hes god). the 5 th hole is a 560 par 5 level with a tail wind. i hit a good drive and smoked a 5 wood to about 20 feet. rolled the putt in and ended up shooting 70 10 strokes ahead of tanner (my rival, and his dad was there watching us, lol)

Well I have 2 as well and the first one I have posted before but is the best one I will never forget............

1) I was interviewing for a job at a course in South Florida and after the interview went out to play the course and on my way out the Pro said watch out for or signature hole #18 it's a monster. Was hitting it well and was 1 under going into #18 a par 5 605 yards. It was playing down wind and I bombed my tee shot right down the fairway and had 267y left to the center of the green. Pin was in the back but didn't care was just trying to get it somewhere on the green if possible. Hit a pure 3 wood and watched it land on the front of the green and then lost site of it. Figured if I was lucky it was somewhere on the green and maybe have a putt for eagle. Got up to the green and didn't see it on the green, so I started to look over the green in the thick rough and still could not find it. So not knowing what happened to it I just dropped another ball and chipped up to 3 feet. As I walked up to the hole to pull the pin to tap in a cheaters 6 I looked in the hole and saw a ball there. Low and behold it was my ball I hit from the fairway and holed it for a 2 on a par 5. Well after that I just had to go inside and tell the Pro just what I thought of his monster par 5 #18. We had a great laugh and he bought me dinner and drinks that night but unfortunatly they did away with the position I was applying for so I did not get the job.

2) I was playing the local muni in Aurora,IL where I grew up and came to this par 4 dogleg left hole. It is not that long and if you can hit a real high tee shot you can cut the corner and almost drive the green. So I teed it high and tred to let it fly and almost shanked it. Believe me I almost shanked a driver, it went so far right it was in the other fairway but a good lie only I had 176y left to the green. The fairways are tree lined but I had a shot if I could hit a low hook around this huge tree in front of me. So I took out a 7 iron and hooded it a little and stepped up and ripped it. I caught it good and it went right through the gap and hooking towards the green. I was so far away that my buddies where already up by the green and herd me rip the shot. They said it landed on the green, took on hop and then spun straight left from the hook spin and went right into the hole. Just wish I could have seen it myself but at least my buddies got to see it.

(cool) :huh:

One down on the 16th hole against my usual playing partner.. I was in the fairway, he was in the left rough with some trees that could be in the way slightly of his shot. I elected to go first, from 160, slightly downwind, I hit a 9iron it carried the water short of the green and had a pretty good line just right of the hole and still rolling.. my buddy was looking for his ball in the trees.. the ball turned to the left and dissapeared.. my arms went up and he basically said "fu, you didnt" , his reply was after hitting his second shot in the water that if i hadn't have holed my shot he would have holed his. haha right.. I won 17, because he was rattled and one the match (cool) Beer and dinner was paid for haha

When I was 14 i remember a scramble i played in where on a par 5, i hit the best drive.. and proceeded to hit my second shot about two inches behind the hole for a tap in eagle.. I never really understood how that would be possible.. but funny nevertheless.

Probably my first because it was my first. This was back in the 70s when I was in high school. I had 160 yards to the pin. I hit a 7 iron. It took one bounce about two feet in the air and slam dunked in the hole. Meanwhile two of the maintanence guys were driving by and saw it and were screaming as they rode in front of the green immediately after the shot.

2 that are memorable for me..

Dog leg left par 5. Drove through the fairway about 300y into the back bunker. Had around 260 left from a nasty lie in the bunker. one foot in, one foot out with a 3 wood. Ripped it clean and ended up about 7 feet behind the pin. Down hill, left to right breaker.. :huh:

4 man scramble, was about 110 out on a par 4. Took a good rip with my 56 and thought I hit a bad shot cuz I pushed it hard right of the pin about 20 feet. Hit the slope next to the green and jumped straight left about 20 mph and clinked the pin and dropped. (cool)

Mine was on a dog leg left par 4..miss hit my drive put the ball in the rough on a uphill lie about 130 out...walked up the hill to have a look and decided to just put it in the middle took some off of my 9 iron hit it on my line then one of the guys I was playing with start yelling and going on about how I holed it I didn't belive him till I walked up to the green and seen for myself.. ball landed 3' in front of the pin bounce 6" past and spun back

Mine would probably be at the Faldo Center. It was on a 270 yard hole, and I hit driver onto the green to about 40 feet. The putt was downhill and left to right about 5 feet. I stepped up and drained the putt right in the middle. Gotta love gettin' up and down from 270 (cool) .

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

I guess the best I've had was a couple years back.

1 down in stroke play, last hole 155 out, light right rough. Buddy hits before me; puts it 15 feet, already counting his money. I hold a little fade back against into the wind, bounces 6 feet short and rolls in.

That was a fun day, the expression on my partners face I will never forget. Yeah, he missed his putt to tie.

My best eagle was a pure slam dunk from 145 yards out with a 9 iron. Hit the best 9 iron of my life and all of a sudden I heard the flag go klank and I ran up and it was in.

Best double eagle was in match play. We were playing a par 5 about 500 yards and my opponent was on in 2 and the I hit a 6 iron from about 170 and saw it roll and disappear. The hole was not visible from the fairway. I walked up and there it was in the hole. Went on to shoot 68 in that match. Two days later I got another double eagle on the same hole 2 days later. In a 5 game stretch on that hole I went double eagle, birdie, double eagle, birdie, eagle.

Ping G410 Plus Driver 10.5 - Tour 65 S
Ping G410 17.5 (set at 16.5) - Tour 75 S 

Ping G410 22 Hybrid (set at 20.5) - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue HY 80 S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Nippon Modus 3 120 S
TaylorMade MG3 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

Titleist ProV1

My most memorable eagle, I was about 16 playing golf with my dad. I hit a decent drive on a 500 yd Par 5, with lots of upslope, hit a crappy 3 wood, that left me about 155 up hill. I hit a 6 iron that felt awesome. We got up to the green and looked and looked, when we had given up, my Dad walked across the green to hit his shot, looked in the hole and found my ball!!

Ive had many eagles in the time that I've been playing but the one I remember most would have to be the one I had my senior year of high school during practice. It was hole number 7 a short par 4 and I was in a group with my coach and a few other guys. My coach was a know it all. On the hole before we saw some nasty clouds coming in fast all of a sudden the wind picked up to at least 25 mph steady and gusting higher. I hit my drive not good at all and in the left rough I picked a pw and just got up and launched it. The ball started right at the hole and started drifting right a little bit. Then when the ball hit just right of the hole it one hopped and went in for an eagle. This is probably the most memorable eagle that Ive had. It shut up my coach real good.

I've been playing for 45 years and have had many eagles in my lifetime, but the one that I remember most is the one I made a couple of years ago. Playing in a Father-Son scramble tournament with my son. The 4th hole at our club is a short 260 yard par 4. I hit "our" drive into a greenside bunker. My son played first and e-mailed the green with his bunker shot. He was upset, thinking he had let the "team" down. I told him not to worry and proceeded to hole my bunker shot! We went on to win the tournament and I can still remember the expression on my son's face.......priceless!!

Titleist TS3 Tensi AV65
Titleist 917 F2 3 Diamana 70
Titleist 818 H2 21 Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP2 4-P Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM7 Raw 50F, 54M, 60L
SeeMore mFGP cs SuperStroke Traxion Claw 1.0

Titleist Pro V1x

My ace of course! (cool)

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

• 6 years later...