The Tiger Syndrome

Shirts without collars on the golf course
I'm a pretty conservative guy by nature. When I'm not at the office, my usual "uniform" is a polo shirt and a pair of khakis or cargo pants. I generally play mid-level courses that require collared shirts, but even when I play my local muni's I always wear a nice golf shirt. The heck with the hackers in their Phillies t-shirts and jeans.

I don't get to watch a whole lot of golf on TV, but I have noticed more and more players, usually the younger ones, wearing collarless shirts while playing in tournaments. It seems like Tiger started this with his Nike Dri-fit shirts.

I don't mean to be picayune, but IT BUGS THE CRAP OUT OF ME! I mean, here are guys who are supposed to be professionals, and they're wearing mock-collared shirts. Doesn't the PGA have a dress code for tournaments? Do the courses themselves set attire standards?

It's not the end of the world, it just bugs me. Anyone else?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My attire varies based on where I am playing. When I played Castle Pines, you can bet I was wearing slacks and a nice pressed shirt. At the local courses I play, I've stopped showing up well dressed, as I get STARED at. I've toned it down a little but I either have a mock turtleneck (I have a really comfy Slazenger one) or a collared shirt. Usually jeans around here if it's under 50 degrees, though.

I like the mocks, as they are dressier than a normal tee, but still casual and fun. I only have one versus the half a dozen collared golf shirts I own.

I didn't realize the mock-t went as far back as Nicklaus et. al. Gotta watch more Golf Channel.

I realize that times change, but Golf is still a Gentlemen's game. Like I said, it's a relatively minor annoyance, and I'm probably just old-fashioned (I'm only 34, though, so I dunno how old-fashioned I can be!).

Ragin', I know what you mean about being "overdressed". Like I said, I mostly play muni's because of convenience, and the general attire is Young Guys: t-shirt and denim shorts or jeans. 30's-50's: polo shirt and cargo shorts or pants. Older guys: whatever.

Hell, I've seen guys playing in sweatpants. Yikes.

There's more outrageous wardrobe choices on the PGA Tour . . .

Sabbatini's camouflage pants (is there a political statement there that would justify it?)

Ian Poulter just played a Euro tourney in an Arsenal soccer jersey.

I'm sure there are plenty of amusing ones, but these are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

I'm a pretty conservative guy by nature. When I'm not at the office, my usual "uniform" is a polo shirt and a pair of khakis or cargo pants. I generally play mid-level courses that require collared shirts, but even when I play my local muni's I always wear a nice golf shirt. The heck with the hackers in their Phillies t-shirts and jeans.

I don't get to watch a whole lot of golf on TV, but I have noticed more and more players, usually the younger ones, wearing collarless shirts while playing in tournaments. It seems like Tiger started this with his Nike Dri-fit shirts.

I don't mean to be picayune, but IT BUGS THE CRAP OUT OF ME! I mean, here are guys who are supposed to be professionals, and they're wearing mock-collared shirts. Doesn't the PGA have a dress code for tournaments? Do the courses themselves set attire standards?

I didn't realize the mock-t went as far back as Nicklaus et. al. Gotta watch more Golf Channel.

I realize that times change, but Golf is still a Gentlemen's game. Like I said, it's a relatively minor annoyance, and I'm probably just old-fashioned (I'm only 34, though, so I dunno how old-fashioned I can be!).

Ragin', I know what you mean about being "overdressed". Like I said, I mostly play muni's because of convenience, and the general attire is Young Guys: t-shirt and denim shorts or jeans. 30's-50's: polo shirt and cargo shorts or pants. Older guys: whatever.

Hell, I've seen guys playing in sweatpants. Yikes.

I wear mock golf shirts all the time. I have a Callaway one on now as we speak. I am with you with the denim, but mock golf shirts are accepted golf attire... on almost any course.

Call me old fashioned or a traditionalist, but I always wear a nice golf shirt and slacks or dress shorts, no matter the course.

During the late fall or very early spring I usually wear a sweater and possibly a pear of jeans if its windy to cut the wind chill factor down.

I think golf is one of the few sports wear it is appropriate to dress nice and lock nice.

Thats just my opinion, but if someone wants to wear a mock shirt thats fine, but call ahead to make sure the course allows them.

...I don't mean to be picayune...
All I've got to say is...."picayune"? I consider myself to be a well educated individual, with a fair appreciation and mastery of the English language, but I just had to go and look that one up in the dictionary! I can't remember the last time that I had to do that. Well done Big D, and thanks for the education.

BTW, I've been known to play at my club in a clean and well-pressed tee before now, but only during off-peak hours, or twilight. Other than that, you'll find me in a collared polo.....especially when I'm playing away from home.

I hear what you're saying, and it can look less than flattering on some individuals, it's true, but the collarless/mock-tee is nothing new. I just go about my business, and appreciate the fact that everybody's different.

Call me old fashioned or a traditionalist, but I always wear a nice golf shirt and slacks or dress shorts, no matter the course.

During the late fall or very early spring I usually wear a sweater and possibly a pear of jeans if its windy to cut the wind chill factor down.

I think golf is one of the few sports wear it is appropriate to dress nice and lock nice.

Thats just my opinion, but if someone wants to wear a mock shirt thats fine, but call ahead to make sure the course allows them.

I feel the same way you do. I golf so infrequently, only once per week, that I feel like part of the experience is wearing a nice golf shirt and Bermuda-type shorts. I look forward to it, just like I look forward to getting my bag all ready the night before.

That being said, when I see golfers on the course with mock-t's I'm fine with it. As long as you look "presentable" I really don't care. The only thing that bugs me on the course is guys in crummy t-shirts and worn-out workout shorts. I mean, come one, can't you run to Wal-Mart and get a polo shirt for 6 bucks??

Nah, my biggest problem, as I said in the original post, is with the pros wearing mock-t's. I've been away from the game for about 5 years now, so it took me by surprise seeing Tiger dressed in a mock-t at Harding Park. But, hey, Jesper Parnevik wears some truly atrocious stuff, so Tiger ain't that bad!

I am not a real fan of the mock shirts, probably just a short term fad. i am not against others wearing them, but i would not. As far as jeans, I can't stand that. The best is John Daly wearing blue jeans at the Nemacolin Resort for "Playing with the Pros", that rules. Only JD could get away with that!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

what bugs me are the young whipper-snappers wearing polo shirts! A proper gentleman should wear a neck tie and vest whilst playing a gentleman's sport. In the old days a real gentleman branded a sword and wore high-heels. Heck I imagine in another 50 years some young pro will be wearing nothing but thier own skin because the lastest R&D shows that a nude body has the least torque restrictions. Hell they'll even probably be completely shaven for a more aerodynamic follow through... people are strange.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

mock shirts aren't that bad.....all you need to do is accompany them with some nice plaid knickers and your in business :cheesy:

i would never wear a mock....too constricting around my neck for my tastes, but if you can pull it off knock yourself out. i work at a golf store so our natural uniform is just a golf shirt and slacks but even there they loosen up and allow some people to wear mock golf shirts. it really the courses discression i guess.

I think its funny that the thread starter is a "conservative" guy, yet has a nickname of Big Dick McGee.

Anyway, back on topic. No matter if a play a cheap muni or nice public course I always play is proper "golf attire", which for me means it has to have a collar. The "golf attire" dress code was instilled to me by my father who taught me the game. However, Im open to attire changes and dont mind if other golfers wear the mock turtlenecks.

When I was a high school golf coach, I had a problem golf kid who was a pretty good golfer (#2 guy). We had a match at a muni and he showed up in a t-shirt thinking I would let him play. I always kept a few extra clean shirts in case a kid forgot their shirt. He insisted that I play him, I started a freshman instead(who shot a 1 over!), we still won the match, tied the 9 hole team record and I suspended the "shirt kid" for 3 matches. He never did that again!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Just curious, Do you guys think people should dress up when they go to the range?

A couple of summers ago, I ended up in a stall next door to a sweaty, hairy lug grunting and swinging away with no shirt on. After that, I'm pretty much cool with anything at the range as long as it includes a shirt actually being worn. That was at a local muni with a large practice facility.

If I were headed to a country club's range, I'd make sure I had a collar and kept my shirt tail tucked in, though.

Just curious, Do you guys think people should dress up when they go to the range?

A couple of summers ago, I ended up in a stall next door to a sweaty, hairy lug grunting and swinging away with no shirt on. After that, I'm pretty much cool with anything at the range as long as it includes a shirt actually being worn. That was at a local muni with a large practice facility.

If I were headed to a country club's range, I'd make sure I had a collar and kept my shirt tail tucked in, though.

I agree with you there. I usually practice at a range around the corner from my house, and it's just a combo driving range/mini golf/batting cages place. I usually just wear a t-shirt and workout shorts, since I'll be hitting about 300 more shots than I would actually playing. By the end of a session, I'm usually drenched, no need to wear out a polo shirt.

However, when I practice in Hawai'i, the day before I played Ko Olina, I was wearing a proper golf shirt, tucked into my Bermuda shorts.

Slightly off the subject of dress at the range:

My club has quite a strict dress code both on the course and in & around the club house, which I happily abide by. Just the other night I had to go there for a meeting and I was still wearing my work clothes (leather shoes, smart trousers and quite an expensive merino wool sweater) I hadn't even realised I was only wearing a crew neck t-shirt under my sweater until one of the other members pointed it out to me in the bar.

No one else mentioned it the rest of the night but it still made me feel quite uncomfortable. It's not like I was wearing jeans and a football shirt or something. I spent the rest of the night at home mumbling things like "stuffy old b######s!" and "get a life!".

I agree that dress codes especially at private members clubs are a good idea, it's nice to see everyone well dressed and I enjoy looking at the old photo's form the early 1900's on the walls of the clubhouse of guys playing golf in 3 piece tweed suits with a pipe sticking out of their mouth but come on, this is 2006 and I think that clubs should relax their rules and allow collarless golf shirts, especially on the tour, players should be given a little more freedom in their fashion choices. It all adds to the enjoyment of the game.

As for the range: Wear what the heck you want. Here in Ireland it's usually about 3 layers of stuff with "North Face" on it! lol. If I lived in warmer climes I would definately be at the range in a t-shirt.

Slightly off the subject of dress at the range:

My club has quite a strict dress code both on the course and in & around the club house, which I happily abide by. Just the other night I had to go there for a meeting and I was still wearing my work clothes (leather shoes, smart trousers and quite an expensive merino wool sweater) I hadn't even realised I was only wearing a crew neck t-shirt under my sweater until one of the other members pointed it out to me in the bar.

No one else mentioned it the rest of the night but it still made me feel quite uncomfortable. It's not like I was wearing jeans and a football shirt or something. I spent the rest of the night at home mumbling things like "stuffy old b######s!" and "get a life!".

I agree that dress codes especially at private members clubs are a good idea, it's nice to see everyone well dressed and I enjoy looking at the old photo's form the early 1900's on the walls of the clubhouse of guys playing golf in 3 piece tweed suits with a pipe sticking out of their mouth but come on, this is 2006 and I think that clubs should relax their rules and allow collarless golf shirts, especially on the tour, players should be given a little more freedom in their fashion choices. It all adds to the enjoyment of the game.

As for the range: Wear what the heck you want. Here in Ireland it's usually about 3 layers of stuff with "North Face" on it! lol. If I lived in warmer climes I would definately be at the range in a t-shirt.

May I ask, what part of Ireland do you live in? I'm of Irish descent, and I've long wanted to visit, once my kids are old enough to appreciate it. After seeing "The Wandering Golfer" play some courses in Ireland (Ballybunnion, Kingsbairn, & Waterville among them), I am dying to visit your country!

A collar doesn't have to flip over to be considered a "collar".

nikemike couldn't have said it any better. Fashion changes and that includes the PGA Tour. In fact, I'm glad it does because with many people golfers have a reputation of wearing weird, ugly clothes and being old and out of shape. Mock necks and the bright colors you see players wear today give golf a little more athletic feel to it, which i'm totally supportive of. I don't agree with all the fashion choices of the players these days (camo pants?!?) but just as clothes people wear to the office have different cut, trends, etc., pro golfers also influence what we wear to play. And I think Tiger is widely regarded as the best-dressed player nowadays.

Vapor Pro 9.5° Aldila Tour Green 65 TX
VR Pro Ltd 15º Fubuki Tour 73 X
Idea Pro 18º VS Proto 80 X
Vapor Pro Combo (3-5) Blade (6-PW) C Taper 130 X
RTX 4 Raw 54°/60° DGTI S400
Byron Morgan 006 Stainless

I wear mocks and I like them. Look how trends have changed though. I mean the true purists would have us wearing button downs, ties, and knickers. I guess we could all still be hitting wooden drivers with bamboo shafts as well. As the times change so will fashions and technology. You just have to adapt.

I think it all depends on the range. I go to a range that has a batting cage, mini golf, and skateboard park so it's t-shirts and shorts for me. I actually get a chuckle when I see a guy up there dressed like he's going to play 18 at Augusta National. If you're going to the range at your club though, where the appropriate attire.