2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Jeff

I had a friend ask me to help him with a severe casting flaw today. Would your device work? I have one on order for me (working on lag). If so I will give him your info. I am not a teacher so I did not know what to tell him. Your device seems like if it builds lag...it should really help a caster?

Thanks

Jeff

I had a friend ask me to help him with a severe casting flaw today. Would your device work? I have one on order for me (working on lag). If so I will give him your info. I am not a teacher so I did not know what to tell him. Your device seems like if it builds lag...it should really help a caster?

Thanks

Yes. My dad is a total caster, and basically quit the game because of it. I actually half bought the PBS for him, but it is pretty much mine as I use it every day. I should probably buy another one. But anyway, when I first got it I wasn't totally sure how it worked. I just put it on the club and had him swing. It didn't really have an immediate effect (on tape) but the shot came off a lot more solid. After working with it I told him that he is going to have to feel as much pressure as he possibly can being exerted onto the PBS from the top of the swing down. He made a few swings and a light bulb went off. He realized where the lag came from, and knew if he slammed pressure into there, and maintained it as long as possible, he would be creating lag. His pictures actually look a lot better, and hes hitting it 20 further with his irons.

This goes back to my original post. The PBS on its own will do nothing for your swing. What it does is teaches YOU how to do it. Pretty cool stuff.

In short the PBS is an intuitive product, that will require a different approach to market. The end result of TGM is all about translating mechanics into feel and this device certainly does that.

Like logan said, it does absolutely nothing for your swing, but does teach you how. Sometimes the learner has to be at the right place in their head to accept such a thing.

Interesting product . . . since it works for essentially every club in the bag, is it safe to assume it works for any type of swing?

Whether it's a branded method or just a personal loopy swing- the lag pressure idea will at least get you to the impact zone "lagged and loaded"?

Is that why it is universal, etc?

At least shipping doesn't change when you purchase more than one . . . haven't finalized an order yet but might pick up a few to give out to friends as gifts- just need to make sure they work fine with upright/flat/one plane/two plane/loopy/lefty swings is all.

I would like to take the time and thank everyone here for the support! A special thanks goes out to those who are using this piece of rubber known as the Pure Ball Striker and those that maybe considering it as their next and possibility their last training device.

LAG

Lag is one of the most misunderstood concepts in the golf motions. For example: at the FBR Open this year Rocco Mediate stated to me "I didn't want LAG in my swing!" I asked of him did he really mean that? His response was not what I was ready to hear. He said I know I have LAG, but I don't try to hold it! What do you do then with your LAG? Is it released? Answer: Yes! What about your hands and the pressure in your hands do you feel the clubhead lagging behind your hands? Answer: Yes! This is what I was referring to the Lagging clubhead pressure felt in the hands more specifically the trail hand index finger first joint where it meets the grip.

Heavy practice clubs are great for feeling the CLUBHEAD LAG PRESSURE but are misunderstood. We are told that we want to hold the angle but what we want to hold is the PRESSURE of the Lagging Clubhead the angles are released.

Many golfers cast or throwaway the clubhead at the ball bending the target hand and losing their impact alignments bending their left wrist. By maintaining the Clubhead Lag Pressure in the trail hand the player is able to maintain the proper amount of bend in the trail hand or the right flying wedge. This right flying wedge supports the in-line condition of the left arm and clubshaft from about release point through the end of follow through.

We are feel organisms and the feel/sensation is different from person to person. Feel is truly subjective and may change from day to day or even worse from swing to swing. What to feel is as easy as using the Pure Ball Striker it allows the player to sense the proper Clubhead Lag Pressure for the particular shot whether it is a Putt or a Drive or any shot in between.

This subjective feel needs an objective measure and because the Pure Ball Striker was designed with the geometry and physics of the golf motion in mind it allows the individual to sense the Loading, Storing, and Delivery of the hands correctly towards the bottom of the geometrical swing arc known as Low Point.

It is my hopes that others can enjoy the proper feeling of clubhead lag pressure and sustain their line of compression.

In short the PBS is an intuitive product, that will require a different approach to market. The end result of TGM is all about translating mechanics into feel and this device certainly does that.

Like logan said, it does absolutely nothing for your swing, but does teach you how. Sometimes the learner has to be at the right place in their head to accept such a thing.

Well said. You can not be taught something that you are not ready to learn!

Interesting product . . . since it works for essentially every club in the bag, is it safe to assume it works for any type of swing?

Whether it's a branded method or just a personal loopy swing- the lag pressure idea will at least get you to the impact zone "lagged and loaded"?

Is that why it is universal, etc?

At least shipping doesn't change when you purchase more than one . . . haven't finalized an order yet but might pick up a few to give out to friends as gifts- just need to make sure they work fine with upright/flat/one plane/two plane/loopy/lefty swings is all.

You nailed it with the highlighted statement

Mr evans i am very impressed by you knowledge and your determination to help others improve, and at the same time pocket a few bucks. I am planning on ordering one of your PBS as soon as i have an extra twenty bucks laying around. i know 20 bucks is not much considering many pay 1000 on new clubs each year. but as a young man married while both of us are attending school 20 bucks out of the community pot is a lt to as for.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just purchased one. I am interested to find out how well it works. I understand the concepts of lag but I am not sure if I really understand what it feels like to hold or maintain that lag. Hopefully this will help me see the light. Being a completely feel based player this may do wonders for my ball striking which IMO is already pretty good, but there's always room for improvement. :lol:

I just purchased one. I am interested to find out how well it works. I understand the concepts of lag but I am not sure if I really understand what it feels like to hold or maintain that lag. Hopefully this will help me see the light. Being a completely feel based player this may do wonders for my ball striking which IMO is already pretty good, but there's always room for improvement. :lol:

It is my thoughts that every player will be able to sense their Clubhead Lag Pressure and thanks for your support.

Jeff

Used the PBS for the first time today. I just watched Garrett's video and think I was gripping it wrong. Do you have any close up pics of where your hand should be? Also, I am not feeling where EXACTLY to feel lag or any different sensations. I must be doing something wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Jeff

Used the PBS for the first time today. I just watched Garrett's video and think I was gripping it wrong. Do you have any close up pics of where your hand should be? Also, I am not feeling where EXACTLY to feel lag or any different sensations. I must be doing something wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Where the Pure Ball Striker is placed is on the aft/rear side of the grip so that the trigger finger rest agianst it. What you may feel is the sensation of the mass of the device agianst the butt pad of the trail hand index finger. Once you arrive at the top of you motion you will have a pause to locate an aiming point. The aiming point might be the inside aft quadrant of the ball but it can be forward or backward of the ball depending on hand speed. Draw an invisible line from your trigger finger/PBS to you aiming point and slowly direct you PBS towards that point. Down and through the bottom of the arc. Maintain your motion until it is complete or until the end of follow-through.

Jeff

Thanks...

Remember, everyone is individual and they may feel the lag pressure differently. However, you are the conductor of the band direct your hands to your aiming point. Allow your club to be your baton and let your mind be in your hands send your hands to the amining point not the clubhead. If clubhead goes first you will throwaway your lag and lag pressure will be lost.

I just placed my order...definitely looking forward to working with the PBS...I feel like a lemming...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Decided to give it a try. Interesting thing is I was working on the feeling in my trigger finger before stumbling upon this. Only think this will add to my understanding - thanks.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

Interesting post and training aid... Just thought I'd put my two yen in for what its worth.

I feel like after having read the whole thread I'm "starting" to understand what this training aid does and how it could be an effective tool for anyone who understands it fully or has a coach who does. Coming from the perspective of someone just entering the game and trying to learn too much too fast I'm not surprised that I don't get it yet.

I've got a little experience in teaching though and if it allows for feedback that people can feel individually and use in the way that works best for them you've got a good product... because at the end of the day we all learn differently. Someone commented that 99% of training aids only work on 1% of their audience... I find this to be the case when trying to teach anyone. When i taught tennis you had to have different drills for different people to accomplish the same darn thing... its all about how the mind interprets information. Teaching ballroom dance is even more difficult because now its a physical thing they have to get but they have to look pretty doing it (I'd pay about 1,000,000 dollars if you can invent a training aid to do that by the way... it would pay for itself in a year easy :lol: )

Back to the golf I digress... Its awesome that you are so helpful Mr. Evans and clearly stand behind your creation (I'm in Atlanta and if I'm going down your direction I feel I might need to stop by), but as someone who would probably greatly benefit from your product by learning good habits early on I was a little confused by the website and the video on it... I saw a little ball of rubber and a guy take a nice swing... something that I can't do with any reproducible consistency (doh! yet) but I didn't feel like it explained what it was supposed to make me "get"... since the point of a training aid is to reinforce positive aspects of what you are doing or point out where you made a negative. Maybe a simple fix would be to show the exact same thing with someone who doesn't take a good swing and kind of point out what happens (does the aid fall off the club? does it force you to keep pressure?) Then possibly a quick "idiots" explanation of where the breakdown occurred and how the tool showed that or the reasoning behind keeping that pressure. It just seemed like some assumptions were made that the majority of the people finding your page know a good bit about golf which then leaves new (read: stupid) people like me kinda feeling dumber.

I may be off base here but just kind of my initial reaction to the site. As to the cookie cutter commercial I can sympathize... we've definitely wasted more money on marketing and advertising that didn't do ANYTHING in terms of bringing new students to my studio and simple word of mouth and other free outlets have done their share and THEN some.

Perhaps this is as someone said earlier you can't be taught something your brain isn't ready for. So maybe this isn't a tool designed for the new golfer but more aimed at someone with a more developed swing. If so throw away most of my previous jabber. If it is though maybe something here will spark a new idea on how to market/describe what seems to be a great product if everyone here is swearing by it... pretty well informed crowd here.

Anyways I'll be anxious to hear peoples experience with this product as well as if someone can explain how it might be effective for a newer golfer who is learning basic swing mechanics.

-W

Jeff

I had my hands like yours...index finger down to the round part. Garrett has his right index finger up higher in the middle? Confused? BTW I have played with Garret and really liked him.

Thanks

Thanks for your question! Garrett Willis is a good man and very talented. For the guys on the PGA Tour and better players we built what we call a TM version of the Pure Ball Striker. Willie Mac has the first tour model - I custom made it on the practice range at the FBR Open.

Apologize for you being confused! Depending on what player is doing they can move it up or down but generally it is placed aft side of grip in-line with the longitudinal center of gravity or sweet-spot plane. Also, if you noticed GW had his right thumb on top of the Pure Ball Striker and that was O.K. for him right now. These guys are players and trying to make a living at this game, what a challenge these guys are great!

Interesting post and training aid... Just thought I'd put my two yen in for what its worth.

I feel like after having read the whole thread I'm "starting" to understand what this training aid does and how it could be an effective tool for anyone who understands it fully or has a coach who does. Coming from the perspective of someone just entering the game and trying to learn too much too fast I'm not surprised that I don't get it yet.

I've got a little experience in teaching though and if it allows for feedback that people can feel individually and use in the way that works best for them you've got a good product... because at the end of the day we all learn differently. Someone commented that 99% of training aids only work on 1% of their audience... I find this to be the case when trying to teach anyone. When i taught tennis you had to have different drills for different people to accomplish the same darn thing... its all about how the mind interprets information. Teaching ballroom dance is even more difficult because now its a physical thing they have to get but they have to look pretty doing it (I'd pay about 1,000,000 dollars if you can invent a training aid to do that by the way... it would pay for itself in a year easy :drinks: )

Back to the golf I digress... Its awesome that you are so helpful Mr. Evans and clearly stand behind your creation (I'm in Atlanta and if I'm going down your direction I feel I might need to stop by), but as someone who would probably greatly benefit from your product by learning good habits early on I was a little confused by the website and the video on it... I saw a little ball of rubber and a guy take a nice swing... something that I can't do with any reproducible consistency (doh! yet) but I didn't feel like it explained what it was supposed to make me "get"... since the point of a training aid is to reinforce positive aspects of what you are doing or point out where you made a negative. Maybe a simple fix would be to show the exact same thing with someone who doesn't take a good swing and kind of point out what happens (does the aid fall off the club? does it force you to keep pressure?) Then possibly a quick "idiots" explanation of where the breakdown occurred and how the tool showed that or the reasoning behind keeping that pressure. It just seemed like some assumptions were made that the majority of the people finding your page know a good bit about golf which then leaves new (read: stupid) people like me kinda feeling dumber.

I may be off base here but just kind of my initial reaction to the site. As to the cookie cutter commercial I can sympathize... we've definitely wasted more money on marketing and advertising that didn't do ANYTHING in terms of bringing new students to my studio and simple word of mouth and other free outlets have done their share and THEN some.

Perhaps this is as someone said earlier you can't be taught something your brain isn't ready for. So maybe this isn't a tool designed for the new golfer but more aimed at someone with a more developed swing. If so throw away most of my previous jabber. If it is though maybe something here will spark a new idea on how to market/describe what seems to be a great product if everyone here is swearing by it... pretty well informed crowd here.

Anyways I'll be anxious to hear peoples experience with this product as well as if someone can explain how it might be effective for a newer golfer who is learning basic swing mechanics.

-W

How true the teacher may appear when the student wants to learn.

BTW this device is used for all golfers novice to advanced and all players in between.

Thanks for your post. Come visit!