Two Ball off the first tee box

What's your opinion?
I'm interested to know of how many people start with hitting two balls off the first tee box? My group usually does two off the tee box if there are no driving range at the course.

And if it's a busy day (slow play) do you do two off the start? I don't mind it if it's only the first tee box or if they hit OB.

**On a side note, there was a group behind us today who yelled at us for tee'ing off twice when the group in front of us hasn't even got onto the green yet. Does he expect us to go wait in the middle of the fairway for 10 mins? I don't see the difference in us hitting twice out the box, as oppose to us going to the fairway by our balls and waiting for the group to get on the green. Guess he wanted to stand in the tee box.....which he shanked his driver AND TEE OFF TWICE. EPIC FAIL SUNDAY HACKER**

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're 1st ball is in play why hit a 2nd?...Its generally going to piss people off who are waiting behind you and really serves no purpose other than that.....Not a good way to start out the round IMO.....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

Most of the time, it's for warm up since some of us get there and don't get a chance to warm up and hit a drive that's OB or somewhere out there. The times we hit the fairway on the 1st hole, we skip the 2nd shot.

If your mad that we have to wait 10 mins to tee off, you standing 10 mins in the tee box isn't going to make it go any faster. You can only play as fast as the group ahead of you. Play a course without a starter or a starter that likes to squeeze in groups 1 min apart and you'll see how many people hit more than 2 balls on their first play.

Pissing off the group in front of you will only make it slower for you. The rate of play isn't going to speed up because you want it to, because if you want it to go any faster, you should just play Wii Golf (Not directed at anyone, just rant)

Most of the time, it's for warm up since some of us get there and don't get a chance to warm up and hit a drive that's OB or somewhere out there. The times we hit the fairway on the 1st hole, we skip the 2nd shot.

If your mad that we have to wait 10 mins to tee off, you standing 10 mins in the tee box isn't going to make it go any faster. You can only play as fast as the group ahead of you. Play a course without a starter or a starter that likes to squeeze in groups 1 min apart and you'll see how many people hit more than 2 balls on their first play.

Pissing off the group in front of you will only make it slower for you. The rate of play isn't going to speed up because you want it to, because if you want it to go any faster, you should just play Wii Golf (Not directed at anyone, just rant)

That's nice. Please tell us which course you play so we can avoid it.

I'll let someone do that in a money match, oddly enough. Members at the club I worked at, if they didn't get to warm up, I'd give them a breakfast ball. I rarely partook of one myself.

I've been weaning myself off of trying a missed putt again, and have stopped replaying approach shots completely. Its not good for my focus. It cheapens the shot that counts. In a way, the saying "measure twice, cut once" works for golf as well.

Still sounds to me like you're trying to rationalize poor etiquette...Call it it what it is....A MULLIGAN.....I'd hardly call one extra swing of the club a warm-up....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

I'd argue that if you want to warm up get to the course earlier and go to the range, or even the nets. If play is already slow you don't want to wait behind a group that's playing two shots, even if they say it's only off of the first tee. Theoretically every group should play to keep up with the group in front and in that case if everyone adheres to the etiquette of the game the people that are causing the slow play can let groups through and get things moving a bit quicker. Unfortunately a lot of people don't do this.

As far as playing with someone hitting two balls, I don't have a problem with it if there's no one behind us, I quite often hit two balls playing by myself with no one behind me, that's a practice round. However social golf on a Saturday morning when we're actually playing for something or against someone, then we're playing to the rules, you can hit another ball within the rules of the game, i.e. a provisional, but not to compensate for not getting to the course in time to warm up.

Also, you can't shank a driver, unless it's offset.

Unless it's a provisional, it's a no no.

As for the situation where you were waiting for the group ahead of you, that's part of golf and one of a million ways this wonderful game tests our patience and our ability to deal with constant changes.

TaylorMade R11 9* 

Callaway XHot TC 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Titleist AP1 5-PW

Titleist AP1 W/Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x

I'll let someone do that in a money match, oddly enough. Members at the club I worked at, if they didn't get to warm up, I'd give them a breakfast ball. I rarely partook of one myself.

I've been weaning myself off of trying a missed putt again, and have stopped replaying approach shots completely. Its not good for my focus. It cheapens the shot that counts. In a way, the saying "measure twice, cut once" works for golf as well.

Agree 100% with all the comments against this goofy habit of hitting two balls off the first tee.

It's important to understand that hitting another putt or chip around the green, after the first ball is in the hole, is allowed by the rules. I don't do it often, but sometimes if new to a course or having a few issues with speed or break, I will hit a putt again so I understand better how to play the greens on future holes. I do it quickly and so as not to delay anyone behind us, as someone is placing the pin back into the hole. I'm talking perhaps once or twice a round at most.

If you're 1st ball is in play why hit a 2nd?...Its generally going to piss people off who are waiting behind you and really serves no purpose other than that.....Not a good way to start out the round IMO.....

I agree with this position. If it's OB, then hit again. If it's in the rough, cop it out and carry on. You can be in a much better position if you wedge out of the rough than if you hit anoth tee shot. As for all of those who care to yell or hang someone up by the b@$$s, serioulsy people. If you can't get over a guy or a group of guys in front of you hitting a extra shot, I think you need to relax. If they do it off of every hole then call the marshall (although more than likely he already knows and is on his way). If they are gridlocked, I don't see what the problem is. They can't go anywhere anyway. In my opinion it's far worse to hit into someone on purpose (which is a general response that hasn't been mentioned here yet, kudos to you all for that). All that does is put someone in danger. And it will more than likely escalate the situation further. If the play is slow, it's not always the group infront of you's fault, they may be stuck behind any number of groups. Just enjoy the day and have some fun.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

The only time I might do it is if I'm playing solo in the mid to late afternoon with few or no other players on the course. During those rounds, I might play 3 or 4 balls per hole and keep score on each ball. There's no one around to hold up and I'm not turning any of those scores in for HCP purposes - I find that practicing this way is far more productive than doing drills on the range.

Otherwise, I don't have a problem w/ anyone else doing it, as long as you keep up with the group in front of you. If you are "yelling" at another group or player for doing it, and that group is keeping up with the group in front of them, you need to get a life. Worry a little more about you and less about everyone else.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I'm also on the no-mulligan side. I enjoy the little nerves of that 1st tee shot and the satisfaction of getting it out there in play. I could really care less about how others choose to play so long as they aren't ridiculously slow/ignorant. I just prefer to know that when I shoot par one day it'll be legit. Plus, not having taken those "mulligans", I'll hopefully be confident enough to put that tee shot on 18, sitting on 68, in play and not into the woods.

BTW- if you're taking mulligans or playing the better of 2 tee shots, your handicap is a farce. Good luck playing against anyone with it.

The only time I might do it is if I'm playing solo in the mid to late afternoon with few or no other players on the course. During those rounds, I might play 3 or 4 balls per hole and keep score on each ball. There's no one around to hold up and I'm not turning any of those scores in for HCP purposes - I find that practicing this way is far more productive than doing drills on the range.

Otherwise, I don't have a problem w/ anyone else doing it, as long as you keep up with the group in front of you. If you are "yelling" at another group or player for doing it, and that group is keeping up with the group in front of them, you need to get a life. Worry a little more about you and less about everyone else.

The topic is about taking a mulligan off the first tee, not about practicing on the golf course. It seems like without fail whenever the mulligan topic comes up, someone will start trying to rationalize it by likening them to practice shots.

About "worry about yourself and not others"...a mulligan is a serious breach of the rules, I think it's fair to get involved whenever appropriate. On a golf course, certain rules and conduct need to be upheld, IMO we can't just have a "live and let live" attitude on the golf course.

If playing a practice round (where you play more than one ball) is allowed, then why is a mulligan not allowed? If the golfer doesn't submit the round for handicapping, has no handicap, has no desire to ever keep one, how is a mulligan a bad thing? It's one shot. As far as certain rules and conduct needing to be upheld, you are correct on that one, but I really see no harm in a mulligan.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

The topic is about taking a mulligan off the first tee, not about practicing on the golf course. It seems like without fail whenever the mulligan topic comes up, someone will start trying to rationalize it by likening them to practice shots.

About "worry about yourself and not others"...a mulligan is a serious breach of the rules, I think it's fair to get involved whenever appropriate. On a golf course, certain rules and conduct need to be upheld, IMO we can't just have a "live and let live" attitude on the golf course.

If playing a practice round (where you play more than one ball) is allowed, then why is a mulligan not allowed? If the golfer doesn't submit the round for handicapping, has no handicap, has no desire to ever keep one, how is a mulligan a bad thing? It's one shot. As far as certain rules and conduct needing to be upheld, you are correct on that one, but I really see no harm in a mulligan.

Thank you for the instruction on the topic. In no way did I liken a mulligan to practice shots. I gave an example of when I might hit 2 balls of of #1, or #2, or #3, or #16. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. :rolleyes:

Why would it bother you what another player on the course is doing? Unless it's tournament play, in which case it's a non-issue anyhow as surely the fellow competitors or the starter would not allow a player to hit a second ball, right?

Let me get this straight - you are perhaps hitting some putts on the practice green that's a few steps from the #1 tee. There is a foursome on #1 tee, the fairway has just opened up, and your group is "next up" on #1. One of the players on #1 tee hits a wild drive and bends down to tee up a second ball. There is a starter there, and as the group in front of them is still on the green, he takes no issue with the mulligan.

Do you feel that it would be appropriate to "get involved" at this point? How about if you overheard them on the tee agreeing to give all putts "inside the leather." This is a serious breach of the rules as well - would you feel it appropriate to "get involved" at that point?

Again, if it's not tournament play I don't see where it's any of your business what those players are doing. If that group ends up slow playing, let the course and the rangers deal with the situation.

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

when im about to tee off on the first, im getting ready for an adventure, and experience, an obsticle course, a round that i will never forget

if im already planning on hitting two balls off the first tee, THEN SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

SIX hour rounds? :russian_roulette:

OK, now I understand. My example was based on my home club where a SLOW round on a Saturday in July is 4.5 hours. I also structured the example such that my hypothetical "2 balls off #1" would not be hindering the pace of play.

I might have a different opinion if I had to regularly deal with six hour rounds!

I love golf, but not that much. Were I forced into 5+ hours every time out, to hell with it, I'd go back to shooting skeet every weekend.

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

I'm interested to know of how many people start with hitting two balls off the first tee box? My group usually does two off the tee box if there are no driving range at the course.

And if it's a busy day (slow play) do you do two off the start? I don't mind it if it's only the first tee box or if they hit OB.

**On a side note, there was a group behind us today who yelled at us for tee'ing off twice when the group in front of us hasn't even got onto the green yet. Does he expect us to go wait in the middle of the fairway for 10 mins? I don't see the difference in us hitting twice out the box, as oppose to us going to the fairway by our balls and waiting for the group to get on the green. Guess he wanted to stand in the tee box.....which he shanked his driver AND TEE OFF TWICE. EPIC FAIL SUNDAY HACKER**

Your responsibility is to: stay behind the group in front of you, not "just in front of the group behind you".

You shouldn't have to wait for the group ahead of you to reach the green on a par 4 or par 5 as long as you don't hit into players.

I'm glad you "don't mind it if it's only the first tee box or if they hit OB".

If it's OB, the rules of golf "require" another shot, with a penalty (stroke and distance)

If you don't mind it, have you considered what the players behind you might like - seems to me you are only concerned about yourself.

Glad I don't play at your course.

Thank you for the instruction on the topic. In no way did I liken a mulligan to practice shots. I gave an example of when I might hit 2 balls of of #1, or #2, or #3, or #16. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. :rolleyes:

Why would it bother you what another player on the course is doing? Unless it's tournament play, in which case it's a non-issue anyhow as surely the fellow competitors or the starter would not allow a player to hit a second ball, right?

Let me get this straight - you are perhaps hitting some putts on the practice green that's a few steps from the #1 tee. There is a foursome on #1 tee, the fairway has just opened up, and your group is "next up" on #1. One of the players on #1 tee hits a wild drive and bends down to tee up a second ball. There is a starter there, and as the group in front of them is still on the green, he takes no issue with the mulligan.

Do you feel that it would be appropriate to "get involved" at this point? How about if you overheard them on the tee agreeing to give all putts "inside the leather." This is a serious breach of the rules as well - would you feel it appropriate to "get involved" at that point?

Again, if it's not tournament play I don't see where it's any of your business what those players are doing. If that group ends up slow playing, let the course and the rangers deal with the situation.

Egg - Zack - Lee!

I sure hope he's paying for everyone. If he runs into the likes of my group, he may be told where he should go, or be?

Theyre everywhere. The pros and wannabees starters that is...

i only take a second shot if i know its ob or might be ob. i rather have the other golfer in my group to take a second shot rather than him going back to the tee to hit a provisional. defintely no mulligans unless like everyone said if you're the only one on the course then you can own the course ;)

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

"Still, we cannot be blind to the fact that most American golfers aren't "real" golfers. They have no desire to be so. They get their fun from the game for reasons very different than most folks here do."

I do not believe in mulligans either but what nationality do you have to be to be a real golfer?

i honestly dont care what someone else does on the course as long as it doesnt slow the group behind them down. if its not slowing anyone down, and the group you are playing with is fine with it, then who cares?

PasadenaPro: Fair enough - if noone else is on the course. But the OP uses the first tee as his personal range and obviously doesn't care about slowing anyone down because "the group behind us today who yelled at us for tee'ing off twice when the group in front of us hasn't even got onto the green yet. Does he expect us to go wait in the middle of the fairway for 10 mins? I don't see the difference in us hitting twice out the box, as oppose to us going to the fairway by our balls and waiting for the group to get on the green"

And I'm willing to bet the OP's behaviour will slow down the group behind them at some point.

Just my .02 - Canadian so I guess it's only .01 :D

At my club, in our Friday Dog Fight, we always take two off of the first tee. Most of the time people are scrambling to the first tee at noon with their black socks still on. At a country club i dont think it matters, if i was playing at a public course in line to tee off and saw two off the first tee, i might be pissed.