Two Ball off the first tee box

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked on this weekend and got paired up with a father and son...both not very good. On the 7th hole (i'm even at this point), the father asks me if i take mulligans. I thought to myself ' i dont need/take mulligans', i told him i dont. Him and his son took 1 mulligan per 9, I had no problem with it...things were really slow.

Like most ppl on here say, hitting mulligans is called hitting 3, which is how i play.

As I think has been said, if you're on your own and there's no-one behind you, do what the hell you like. If there's people behind you - regardless of the pace of play - then hitting another drive is downright rude and to defend the practice displays a remarkable degree of ignorance and an equally remarkable lack of manners.

If you only do it on the first, while it's irritating and unnecessary, I suppose it's tolerable. However, doing it on every hole is a massive no-no. Indeed, if you tried that on a busy public course in the UK, I fear you would get more than yelled at - I suspect you would require medical attention by the 6th.

As for doing it on a good quality private club... :scare2:

Save the second drives for a)practice rounds when the course is quiet and b)when your first drive is clearly OB/in deep sh1t (ie a genuine provisional).

Please don't tell me this 2-ball off every tee nonsense is common in the US??!

As I think has been said, if you're on your own and there's no-one behind you, do what the hell you like. If there's people behind you - regardless of the pace of play - then hitting another drive is downright rude and to defend the practice displays a remarkable degree of ignorance and an equally remarkable lack of manners.

If you only do it on the first, while it's irritating and unnecessary, I suppose it's tolerable. However, doing it on every hole is a massive no-no. Indeed, if you tried that on a busy public course in the UK, I fear you would get more than yelled at - I suspect you would require medical attention by the 6th.

As for doing it on a good quality private club... :scare2:

Save the second drives for a)practice rounds when the course is quiet and b)when your first drive is clearly OB/in deep sh1t (ie a genuine provisional).

Please don't tell me this 2-ball off every tee nonsense is common in the US??!

It's not common among serious golfers.......however among weekend hackers it's very common. I will say most of the time it's just on the first tee "one off one". I have played behind groups in the past that would hit 2 or 3 shots off each tee box.......and not hit one in bounds.

As long as the group in front of me is keeping pace with the group in front of them I don't have a problem with it. I play the game based on the rules of golf. I don't care what the people in front of me or behind me for that matter do as long as they keep pace.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

When I read the topic I thought you were gonna ask about swinging a putter off the tee box.

The group I play with does a mulligan on the first tee or a "breakfast ball", but only on the first tee if the first shot might be OB. At my home course the practice green is beside the first teebox, so there is never much of a line. There is also a creek at 220-260 depending on which tees, that claims alot of drives, so it's not a rare occurance for two balls to be played.

Wasn't there a good discussion here before where someone claimed that taking a mulligan on the first tee (and only the first tee) is perfectly valid under the handicap rules as long as you declare that you are starting a new round before hitting the second ball?

I don't do this myself. I take whatever my first shot was as is. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Either way it's my shot and I've got to play it.

I often duff my first tee ball, sometimes just past the ladies tee (yeah, I'm human). I NEVER go in my pocket for another ball unless it is OB or in a hazard for a few reasons... 1. it's cheating, 2. the ball IS in play and 3. the thrill of making par or even a bogey after a 30 yd tee ball on the first hole from an un-preferred lie is amazing.

if you're going to play a Mulligan, don't do it on the first tee. Do it only when you won't slow the pace of the game for others... because people like me will let it slide the first time... then rain down on you and give you the fake "whoops" wave! :wave:

When I read the topic I thought you were gonna ask about swinging a putter off the tee box.

The group I play with does a mulligan on the first tee or a "breakfast ball", but only on the first tee if the first shot might be OB. At my home course the practice green is beside the first teebox, so there is never much of a line. There is also a creek at 220-260 depending on which tees, that claims alot of drives, so it's not a rare occurance for two balls to be played.

If you only re-hit after hitting OB, why do you have to call it a 'mulligan' or a 'breakfast ball'? It's one or the other!!!

Let's not p***y foot around this people. What the original post refers to is the act of hitting a shot that is squarely in play, but happens to be weak unsatisfactory embarrassingly short wormburner hook slice push pull skyball you name it...and instead of playing the ball where it lies, hitting another off the tee and pretending the first one never happened.

When you've hit OB, or think you have, then under the rules YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO RE-TEE. A mulligan, or a "breakfast ball" (gag) is an entirely different thing.

Then I disagree with what the OP was saying. I will two-ball the first tee after a worm-burner, slice, skyball, etc... that happens to be in-bounds for the sake of my ego. But, I always play the original ball and only when there is no line.

I do play the second ball(mulligan), if the first shot slices, hooks, etc... out of bounds.

There is always talk and aproval from the group before either of these occur.

I do play the second ball(mulligan), if the first shot slices, hooks, etc... out of bounds.

There is always talk and aproval from the group before either of these occur.

Do you ask the group behind you as well? Because now they have to wait for you to go retrieve the second ball. :man_in_love:

Wasn't there a good discussion here before where someone claimed that taking a mulligan on the first tee (and only the first tee) is perfectly valid under the handicap rules as long as you declare that you are starting a new round before hitting the second ball?

I don't recall seeing that particular claim, but nowhere in the USGA handicap manual or in the Rules of Golf does is the player granted such authority. It's a novel approach to avoid counting that first stroke. It's akin to a bowler throwing a gutter ball on his first bowl and then saying that he is playing a new game and, therefore, the gutter ball doesn't count.

i think some of the posts about it not being part of the game, etc are a little over the top. most players lax some of the rules on their weekly non-tournament games becuase they are viewed as not having a impact on the outcome of a match but are rules infractions, even if they don't admit to it. stuff like lagging putts up and taking them before your opponent gives them to you, lag putting with the flag unattended, hitting a provisional but not declaring what the provision is for (lost ball, ob) and using multiple brands of balls (one ball rule) are all stuff peole would say my group is cool with becuase we play a lot together but would be rules infractions in tournament play. so really why is hitting two balls occassional any different.

i think some of the posts about it not being part of the game, etc are a little over the top. most players lax some of the rules on their weekly non-tournament games becuase they are viewed as not having a impact on the outcome of a match but are rules infractions, even if they don't admit to it. stuff like lagging putts up and taking them before your opponent gives them to you, lag putting with the flag unattended, hitting a provisional but not declaring what the provision is for (lost ball, ob) and using multiple brands of balls (one ball rule) are all stuff peole would say my group is cool with becuase we play a lot together but would be rules infractions in tournament play. so really why is hitting two balls occassional any different.

Simply: hitting two balls WHEN IT IS NOT REQUIRED slows the game down and shows a lack of consideration when there are people waiting.

Found the post: Post

Mulligans are a no-no if you are keeping handicap- EXCEPT, on the first tee. Technically, lets assume you hit your first shot OB- you can declare that you are starting a new round. So your not really breaking any "rules" so to speak. And you cannot post the first shot on your score card as you did you complete the required number of holes.

Found the post: Post

Mulligans are a no-no if you are keeping handicap- EXCEPT, on the first tee. Technically, lets assume you hit your first shot OB- you can declare that you are starting a new round. So your not really breaking any "rules" so to speak. And you cannot post the first shot on your score card as you did you complete the required number of holes.

By this logic you could start a new round every hole until the 7th since you only need to play 13 holes to post a score.

Count me as one who is pro-breakfast ball. I used to be a caddy at a club with no nets and a driving range that we were not allowed to use when playing on mondays. I'm sorry but if I'm going out there butt naked, playing an extra ball off the first tee serves to loosen me up mentally and give me some kind of warm up. Allowing yourself to take a freewheeling, uninhibited first swing knowing that you will take another if it's really bad does a lot of good for the rest of the round. Obviously if there is a range then no breakfast balls are allowed.

The only thing is, if you're gonna take a second shot, you have to play the second shot no matter how it turns out. If you hit the first one as a weak 200 yard slice in the fairway, but the second one as a 150 yard duck hook, you gotta play the duck hook.

My conscience is unaffected by playing a breakfast ball. People need to get off their high horses, this is just a game and if the breakfast ball will help me improve the rest of my round then I'm taking one.

And before you call me some inconsiderate hack who doesn't know the game, even though I only shoot in the low 80s, I do play with low single digits and a few plus handis, and they have no problem with it and sometimes do the same thing.

Count me as one who is pro-breakfast ball. I used to be a caddy at a club with no nets and a driving range that we were not allowed to use when playing on mondays. I'm sorry but if I'm going out there butt naked, playing an extra ball off the first tee serves to loosen me up mentally and give me some kind of warm up. Allowing yourself to take a freewheeling, uninhibited first swing knowing that you will take another if it's really bad does a lot of good for the rest of the round. Obviously if there is a range then no breakfast balls are allowed.

The only thing is, if you're gonna take a second shot, you have to play the second shot no matter how it turns out. If you hit the first one as a weak 200 yard slice in the fairway, but the second one as a 150 yard duck hook, you gotta play the duck hook.

I LOVE it, strict mulligan rules! :lol:

KC

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I think you all need to lighten up...seriously.

Unless you're playing for money, in a tournament, counting the round toward your handicap, or any other serious competition of sorts...who cares if you hit 2 off the first tee??

Sometimes, when i'm playing a weekend round of golf with my friends, we'll hit 2, sometimes we won't...as long as we're not holding anybody up. It's just really not that big of a deal.

That said, anything beyond the first tee box is just crazy...

KC

But of course! Anything less would be uncivilized :D

KC

This thread is as out of control as the thread on jeans. I can't understand why people care so much. At some clubs, and within some groups, the mulligan is a way of life. A first tee mulligan is not going to slow down the golf course enough to adversely affect anybody. Live and let live!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Finally some pro-mulligan posts. I was trying to say two off the tee is fine with me and my group but Tenementrock kept slaming me for holding the next group up.

Actually in my group we usually decide to play with one mulligan from the first tee plus one more anywhere but the green. We play nassua and sometimes in teams(either best ball or bloodball). In bloodball the mulligan will overrule the opposeing teams choice. The second mulligan adds a bit of strategy into the game of when to use it. All the rules are decided on the first tee.

To all the time-consense golfers. Whenever I've held another group its because me and my group are waiting for on the group in front of us.

This thread is as out of control as the thread on jeans. I can't understand why people care so much. At some clubs, and within some groups, the mulligan is a way of life. A first tee mulligan is not going to slow down the golf course enough to adversely affect anybody. Live and let live!

Kevin

Some people care because playing it as it lies is one of the most basic and fundamental of golf rules. Some of us don't like the idea of each person on the golf course re-writing the rules to make the game easier.

The anti-mulligan camp here are simply advocating playing golf and abiding by the most basic of rules. That so many people here find that offensive really makes me wonder.

To the pro-mulligan people, I say if you're gonna take your mulligans, go ahead and take them but you all should not make a big stink out of it because you don't have a leg to stand on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats right, I would never advocate playing by, or learning the rules of golf.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KC

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

i personally don't do 'breakfast balls'. but there are plenty of groups out there that do. i used to play in a monday-friday game with a bunch of old farts who insisted on it. each and every one of the 15 would do it. they also played the ball 'up' to which i would also pass. in the beginning a few of them wouldn't want me on their team but they got over it soon enough. one specific time the 'two ball off the tee' became an issue is when the first hole was a drive-able par 4. i drove the green and two putted for birdie. when it was time to call scores at the end...my birdie was cut by another who had played his second ball ( i know this because he was the group behind and i watched it from the 2nd tee). we ended up losing the front and tie'ing the back. I paid my $2 bet and asked him if he enjoyed breakfast that day.

our tuesday ladies group has a first tee rule.....'hit until you're happy'. i avoid them like the plague.

My friends and i do this when we have not had time to warm up. I'm a purest, putt everthing out, play it down etc. I have no issue with this idea. 9/10 we play the first and rarely hit a second, it's more of a relaxed mindset than anything else. Why make it harder?

Taylormade M3 9.5 Tensei
Taylormade M4 (x2) Tensei
Adams Pro 22* Aldila Red
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro KBS Tour 4-PW
Bettinardi 52 & 58
Bettinardi BB8f

KC

Kevin

well put Kevin! :clapping:

for the record, i don't take 2 off the first tee. i know some who occasionally do and don't really mind as long as they're not slowing things down unnecessarily. there are numerous other things done out on the course that contribute to slow play much more so but that's a whole other topic.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

Some people care because playing it as it lies is one of the most basic and fundamental of golf rules. Some of us don't like the idea of each person on the golf course re-writing the rules to make the game easier.

The anti-mulligan camp here are simply advocating playing golf and abiding by the most basic of rules. That so many people here find that offensive really makes me wonder.

To the pro-mulligan people, I say if you're gonna take your mulligans, go ahead and take them but you all should not make a big stink out of it because you don't have a leg to stand on.

An even more basic rule of golf is to play until you hole out! If you don't hole out in stroke play, you have failed to play the game. Do you protest if another group agrees to concede all putts "inside the leather?" After all, that's an even more egregious breach of the rules, but because it speeds up play instead of possibly slowing play, do you ignore this breach?

Would you raise Cain with a playing partner if after hitting a greenside bunker shot to 3", he knocks your ball back to you? Admittedly I prefer to putt them out, but there's no reason to raise a stink over this rules breach.

How about this scenario: You see another player on the course hit his ball into the woods. They search for it for five minutes and don't find it. Instead of going back to the tee to take stroke & distance for a lost ball, the player drops a ball and plays on. This is at least as blatant disrespect for the rules as hitting 2 off the first tee. Would you take issue with this player?

What if a player believes his ball to be in bounds off the tee. He gets to his ball, identifies it, and it turns out that it's 2' outside the white stakes in someone's yard. Instead of returning to the tee to take the stroke & distance penalty, he rolls his ball 2.5' just in bounds and punches out from there. Again, blatant disregard for the rules. Would you take issue?

All of these scenarios include no large $$ bets and assumes this is not tournament play.

Your beef is with slow play, because you have to play with all the wanna-be-golfers in the NYC area. I get that, but instead of appointing yourself the local Rules Police, why not just admit that? If your true concern is slow play, I'm sorry, you are incorrect. There is no way in the world that with a group on #1 green if the group on the tee decides to play 2 tee balls each that this is going to slow play appreciably over the course of 18 holes.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I used to hit a 2nd if I wasn't happy with my first. After a while I realized that my score for that hole is probably going to end up the same even if I play a 2nd ball. I think it has something to do with karma. I also realized that not hitting a 2nd ball forced me to become a better golfer by improving my concentration and prepraration before each shot. I also have more appreciation for each well played strike. A birdie feels good, but sometimes saving par after a horrible tee shot feels even better. I still play with people who take 2nd shots on a daily basis, even past the first tee. I really don't care if they do it or not, sometimes they'll even tell me to hit a 2nd after a bad shot, but I just politely decline.