2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Almost threw down a the range today...

I think you acted more like an adult than he did. As for me, I'm 40 and if he would have did it to me he would be picking his F@%&!*G teeth off the green!!!!! :black eye:

+1

I probably would have snapped. I'm not a small guy. Knowing he was doing it on purpose is enough to set me off.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the opposite problem last year. I'm 48 and I was practicing putting and had been there for about 15 minutes when a kid starts chipping to the same hole from about 40 yards away. He was with his father who was coaching him.

I stared him down and spread out my arms in a "what the f&@?" gesture, but he just kept chipping away.

Every year, we host a major junior tournament. Not only do we lose playing 4 of our 5 courses for the week, but we have to deal with kids who have a sense of entitlement. "If someones in my way, bully him out."

Sorry you had to deal with what you did, but it's not just adults, nor is it just kids. There are just too many people who do not have any respect for others. Teach your children well.

Bill, you are a member at Doral and the tournament is the Doral Publix isn't it?

chipping putting green should always be separate. The mgmt' of the area to make a decision.. putting or chipping only.

100% agree- but if the "putter" is putting on the chipping green, the "chipper" is still not justified in hitting golf balls at him. He should calmly and cooly walk over, explain the error, and redirect the person to the correct area. If the "putter" doesn't cooperate, you go get the facility manager to correct the situation.

Even take the high road- "I'm sorry, I don't want to hit you with a golf ball and possibly hurt you, that's why management has made this a "chipping area only" - you could get hurt."

Now in this case, if it was a chipping green, the fact that there was a bunch of people already putting there means he should have just gone to the pro and made him aware. Especially if it was a practice facility- the one I go to charges money for the chipping/pitching green, the putting green is free.

What this guy did was say to himself, "this guy's in my way- I'll show him who's boss!" He's nothing more than an elementary school bully. It sounds like he had plenty of opportunity to correct the situation in a better manner, but decided to be a jerk instead.

You are never justified in hitting a golf ball intentionally at another person unless maybe it is like life or death self defense or something. But I would throw it first in that case- or just grab a 5 iron as a weapon.

Thinking about it again i don't think doing nothing was the right thing to do. I know it may have been the mature and 'adult' thing to do. But by letting him get away with it you are almost advocating to your little brother that doing what the guy done was ok. And that people like him should get away with acting like jerks.

Maybe planting one on him wouldn't have been the best idea but walking away wasn't either. You should have chucked his golf balls in the bushes or something. :)

85% of the people in this world are idiots. I find it easier to just find another place to practice than try and deal with an idiot. Just walk away an let him practice in his own little world.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

chipping putting green should always be separate. The mgmt' of the area to make a decision.. putting or chipping only.

100% agree- but if the "putter" is putting on the chipping green, the "chipper" is still not justified in hitting golf balls at him. He should calmly and cooly walk over, explain the error, and redirect the person to the correct area. If the "putter" doesn't cooperate, you go get the facility manager to correct the situation.

Even take the high road- "I'm sorry, I don't want to hit you with a golf ball and possibly hurt you, that's why management has made this a "chipping area only" - you could get hurt."

Now in this case, if it was a chipping green, the fact that there was a bunch of people already putting there means he should have just gone to the pro and made him aware. Especially if it was a practice facility- the one I go to charges money for the chipping/pitching green, the putting green is free.

What this guy did was say to himself, "this guy's in my way- I'll show him who's boss!" He's nothing more than an elementary school bully. It sounds like he had plenty of opportunity to correct the situation in a better manner, but decided to be a jerk instead.

You are never justified in hitting a golf ball intentionally at another person unless maybe it is like life or death self defense or something. But I would throw it first in that case- or just grab a 5 iron as a weapon.

Agree 100%, I don't think anyone is saying the guy chipping was right. There might just be a little more to the story.

Some people are just arrogant and self centered. I had that happen to me from a guy 30 yards away from me. He shanked one off his driver and hit my arm hard enough to put me on the ground. I asked if he would mind pointing the other way and another guy got pissed at me and wanted to throw down. Almost did, but was on the T next in a sectional qualifier. Unfortunatly, violence is not the answer. You made the right decision. Little eyes are watching!

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

What the hell is wrong with all of you?

I've gotten into maybe three arguments in 25 years on the golf course and nothing ever came close to violence.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

What the hell is wrong with all of you?

I've gotten into maybe three arguments in 25 years on the golf course and nothing ever came close to violence.

I don't think that is a reflection on you or the people posting here, for the most part. It just sounds like there may be less idiots in "on top of your mom" than there are where some of these people live. its hard to blame the posters here for getting hit by golf balls hit by other people...unless they jumped in front of it on purpose...and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think you acted more like an adult than he did. As for me, I'm 40 and if he would have did it to me he would be picking his F@%&!*G teeth off the green!!!!! :black eye:

Yeah, that was very childish of him to act like that. Personally, I DEFinitely wouldn't have let it go like you did. That was the best thing for you to do is walk away from that idiot.

lol i would have taken out my driver and hit a knock down cut at him!!!!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

To clear this all up, it's a chipping AND putting green. And no he was not hitting at the flag I was at with my little brother when we started to practice, I've been playing golf since I was 3 and know common courtesy on the golf course. I even moved the first time after he hit towards me lol. Whatever though I think I kept my cool with my little brother there which was most important to me, if he wasn't there might have had to set him straight hahaha. Nothing phases me at FL golf courses anymore to be honest, oh well you move on, would be kind of interesting if I see him again there though since I'm leaving to go there right now. Cya guys =)

All these people talking about "i'd do this and that" are always the one's who quake in their boots when it kicks off for real. You should be proud that you had more dignity than them and were big enough to walk away.

There will always be dicks wherever you go. Getting in to a punch up makes you both look stupid, walking away made him the fool.

Well played mate and you were a good example to your brother.

The guy hit you in the back and didn't apologize?? What a piece of work...

Almost the same thing happened to me...I was walking from my car to the starter for my round and this old guy in these black sunglasses driving around in this old beat up toyota almost hits me and nicks my bag. No apologies at first so I look at him with a "WTF" face and then he rolls down his window and asks what i just said and i said "thanks for almost running me over"...

He then starts mouthing off about kicking my a&% and I shouldn't start shi%$ with him cause i dont know who i'm dealing with...blah blah blah...this guy looks like hes hitting his late 50s...

I tell him that its great to see people of his age setting a great example for young adults like myself (i'm 26)...he stays in his car still going off and drives off....

The whole time he acted like it was my fault for being in the way of his car.....WTF :o

Its funny when I was your age , hell I am not sure how I would react now at 59 somebody would have gotten there behind kicked

But when I was your age if he hit you with a golf ball it would have been self defense.

I think in todays world you could have fallen to the ground screamed in pain until the ambulance got there then sued the clown and the golf course.

The truth is you should have went immediatly to the Pro shop and reported the clown if they did not do something call the police bud hitting you with a golf ball is assault and battery

You may loose in court but you could have gotten him a ride in a police car how much fun would that have been

Be proud of how you handled it with your little bro there and more power to you for spending time with him.

Once he said he did it on purpose and he'll continue doing it....911.

When the cops show up, the course management will come out...then the badass can explain why he's being a jack@$$.

I wont fight anyone, i cant afford to get arrested, or go to jail at this point in my life. Now if things are escalated and you attack me, then its on. And since its not a boxing ring, i'll hit you with whatever will hurt the most...fist, headbutt, kick, 4i, Dr, putter, shank with a divot tool or tee.

Like so many other have said you acted perfect. I know that i have had people act the same way outside of the course. I was at a concert and a couple guys were messing around and hit my litte brother 14, im 22 and well after a warning it happened again and lets just say that after giving them the benifit of the doubt the first time they didnt quite get the same respect the second time especially when messing around with my brother.

You acted great. Keep up the good work. I can honestly say that if i was in the same situation that guy would have gotten dropped.

Good effort keeping your cool, it was courageous of you to confront the man, respect on all sides is earned, no matter the age. Rather than using violence as some on this board said they would have done, (nothing more than cyber muscles, the equivalent of beer muscles but instead of being intoxicated you think you are tough because of the anonymity of hiding behind a computer) you should have called the cops, and told them that you were being harassed. Last thing you should have done was wack the guy, have a lawsuit on your hands, then all of a sudden the money your folks were going to use to send you and little brother to college was going to legal fees and the individual you confronted.

Well done on how you handled it. Some of the seniors at my course think they have a god given right when they are on the course and they talk to the juniors like crap. Its pretty obvious why he was hitting towards you and not the other people its typical bullying its just a shame the other people there didnt back you up and shoot him down

• 3 weeks later...

Reading about the incident pbcgolfer described here brought back memories of a very similar incident and I am still confused by it.

This is a public course run by private mgmt company and is considered a public facility. The mgmt company offers membership for free range usage and free greens fee after noon. This happened on a chipping/pitching/sand bunker practice green. The bunker is deep and if you are behind the bunker practicing high pitch/lob, you can only see part of the green. I was chipping and could see the whole green. There was this another guy practicing from behind the bunker. He was a member also and I have had some verbal exchanges with him before and we didnt care for each other. Being a public facility, we have quite a few kids (6+) in the practice area. Some play, some just hang with the parents. Most of them behave allright, but you always have exceptions. I have always observed that this guy had little patience with kids around.

This was late evening and the range was winding down. While we were practicing, 2 kids ran from the range to the pitching green and started to collect the balls as we were still practicing. As a courtesy, we stop the practice and let them collect the balls. This was a bit unusual. Normally people pick up the balls to hit it back on the green. It looked like the parents sent the kids to collect the balls for the range. If I remember correctly, they collected once and came back. When they came back the second time, I told the boy not to collect balls to take it to the range. He was fine with that. This time the younger girl was on the green running around chipping and getting some balls. I stopped practicing, but the other guy was tired of the antics and started hitting into the kids. I spoke to the boy again about the girl and she might get hit. She did get hit a few seconds later. Nothing serious but the ball hit her leg or something. The guy couldnt care less either and continued to hit into them and parents were busy socializing with the friends. After that, I left the green.

Even though, i thought the kids behavior was obnoxious, hitting into them was over the top. The parents of the kids were completely reckless not paying attention and the guy couldnt care less. I stopped by the club house and complained about the kids, but complained more about the guy. I opined that irrespective, he shouldnt have hit into the kids. Not really sure what happened, but I dont see him around anymore.

What do you guys think you would have done?