Li'l David Slingers

Kumabjorn

Went through the attic and stumbled over some old golf clubs, a set of Li'l David Slingers that I had completely forgotten about. Remember I bought them when I was an exchange student in Old Saybrook, CT back in 75-76. Got curious and want to know if anyone else ever played these clubs? And what happened to the company? The clubs were really great, amazingly easy to line up, and completely impossible to shank.

Went through the attic and stumbled over some old golf clubs, a set of Li'l David Slingers that I had completely forgotten about. Remember I bought them when I was an exchange student in Old Saybrook, CT back in 75-76. Got curious and want to know if anyone else ever played these clubs? And what happened to the company? The clubs were really great, amazingly easy to line up, and completely impossible to shank.

Upside down iron heads! I haven't thought of those in years...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I am not sure which clubs were uglier- the Lil David Slingers or the Cleveland VAS. Knew one guy in MN who played with the Slingers. He won them in a raffle and liked them. My goodness they looked horrible.

When you hit a 6I to less than a foot they'll look perfect. :man_in_love: Actually shot my best round ever using the Slingers, a 68 in a High School match. One bad tee shot, a stupid spoon on the 10th that ended up in the woods, holed a PW from 95 yrds for an eagle. Couldn't do anything wrong that round. Just happy knowing that someone else remember the clubs. Guess they didn't sell considering the comments.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have played the Slingers, I have 3 sets of them as I'm a hopeless collector of the rediculous. I played about 5 rounds with these and had incredible aim and alignment success, but they did pretty much hit a full club less than my other sets, I never checked into the lofts, but they played very high. One set I have had decals of the name Slingers, the other set had the identical logo stamped in with black color fill. "When I ordered them I thought they would have a smaller head, but that huge top edge makes for the easy play. They are probably most useful out of the rough with less sole drag. Anyone looking to shed a set, I'll consider the acquisition.

• 2 years later...

i picked up a set yesterday for 20$ at the flea market and played 9 holes with them today. holy crow!-easy the best irons i have ever hit! radar accurate and super easy to hit. i hit 7 or 9 greens and shot +1 -easisly shattering my personal best. simply amazing clubs. wonder how many sets were sold?. i agree the lofts are slightly weaker than norm-but who cares when they fly this good! these are keepers.

73 hogan apex

First they are not shankless, also they do not hit the fade well. Had they performed better they would still be around. They were a radical approach and mostly gimmick for the uninitiated. Same goes for the VAS (although played well by Corey), 1 iron (where all irons are the same length), Jerry Barber Shankless, Porche irons, liquid metal irons, and the browning low profile irons. All had limitations, all fun to look at, but not for a serious golfer. If they were they would still be around.

There are always those who say such-an-such were great, if they were great they would still be played, and some maker would have made new innovation/technology to them. I have had my share of unusual.

Also, why did you only play 9 holes. I averaged 17 greens hit a round......the one with the windmill is tough. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To answer your question on Lil' David-

Lil' David Slingers irons were the creation of Jim Flood. I believe Flood also pushed the design envelope with the Power Pod Driver, and the Basakwerd putter.
(Extra points for strange if you had all three Flood creations in your bag at one time.)

The Slinger irons featured a square top line for alignment. Their ads showed the difference between traditional irons.

The Slinger irons may have been used by Lee Elder at the 1975 Masters, but I have not been able to confirm.

(The Sports Illustrated photos "A Magnificent Masters" were mostly about Jack Nicklaus' 5th Masters win against Tom Weiskopf and Johnny Miller, who both missed putts on the 18th to tie him. SI did include a photo of Elder, but he did miss the cut, and the Slingers didn't gain any traction among the Tour players.)

Miller also used a Basakwerd putter in one of those PGA Arizona Tournaments, but lost as part of a 4 man playoff to Bob Gilder.

with pay to play contracts-the small inovative company dosnt have a chance. time will tell how the slingers stack up vs normal clubs for me. even a supieriour desighn club cant last today with the big companys changing their product lines every year or so . even a great desighn is pushed aside for the next marketing ploy.

73 hogan apex

Never played them, but did hit them some. Surprisingly good feel, but my God, they were ugly. There was a pro who won something like the Mexican Open playing them, kid was a good player but never made it to the show, I have completely lost his name. I remember Frank Beard writing that Ping would never be widely accepted on tour because their putters looked funny. Maybe someone should buy the patent and re-release them with modern specs, the golf world is much more open these days.

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1333327761' post='4626741']

Lil' David Slingers irons were the creation of Jim Flood. I believe Flood also pushed the design envelope with the Power Pod Driver, and the Basakwerd putter.
(Extra points for strange if you had all three Flood creations in your bag at one time.)

[/quote]

When Flood had a company called Orizaba back in the 1980s (that was the company that sold the Power Pod and the Basawkerd), he reintroduced the Slinger irons with Orizaba stamped on the back.

My dad wanted a set of those Slinger irons back in the 1970s. He figured anything that ugly had to be good. The local distributor was, of all things, a bowling supply store and those were the only golf clubs they handled.

He was saddened to learn that they weren't available in left hand.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1333489559' post='4642379']
[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1333327761' post='4626741']

[/quote]

When Flood had a company called Orizaba back in the 1980s (that was the company that sold the Power Pod and the Basawkerd), he reintroduced the Slinger irons with Orizaba stamped on the back.

My dad wanted a set of those Slinger irons back in the 1970s. He figured anything that ugly had to be good. The local distributor was, of all things, a bowling supply store and those were the only golf clubs they handled.

He was saddened to learn that they weren't available in left hand.
[/quote]

Yes, and believe it or not, I was too....

I had a chance to take the Lil David Slingers out today and would have to say I did not like them at all. The huge radius sole on them makes them terrible for chipping and short irons. From the rough they were ok because the leading edge did not dig as much but was so happy I did not pay much for them a long time ago.
I took along a Macgregor M85 1 iron I just acquired and absolutely fell in love with it, Even though it had its original leather grip. I loved its heavy head, It just had a wonderful low ball flight that rolled forever.
I included a few pics for anyone who has not seen a Slinger

• 3 months later...

Different Strokes for different folks; the same features that bother people when chipping are the same features that make them easier when chipping (for some). I found the contact only a little more forgiving than a blade but I could work the ball quite well. high draws and high fades were easy. Low hooks out of trouble also worked. I could not however hit a big slice when I needed it. I's an 8 handicap and love to play them for fun and in some tournemants. I also took one of my three sets and had stiff graphite shafts put in with a mid size grip. I also polished them and re-did the black color fill on the embossed logo to complete the full "pimping" of the clubs. The low irons, especially the 1,2,and 3 are great for hitting some low boring draws up the par 5 fairways.

These clubs remind me of the Pontiac Aztek- ugly as sin, but incredibly useful. Both had the same end result: The "you gotta be kidding me"'s outwieghed anyone with a sucess story. Regardless of how it worked, the stigma of being different melded into a gimmick that made it impossible to load onto a cart without getting a lot of attention - some good, most bad, all immediately assume you play no better than bogey golf.

I'll keep playing them because they work.

I'm also the proud owner of the browning 440's, the Orizaba Maxi, Mini, 3,and 5 woods, a power pod generations 1 and 2 (Tiger Sharks version is not worth it.) power pod IRONS (yes! 1-10), pixl irons set, Fila Latitudes, a few sets of Samurai full hybrids (too cheap to pass up). In other words, I could easily host an event featuring the ugliest golf clubs ever conceived by man.

[quote name='Helmutwang' timestamp='1342472194' post='5287420']
I'm also the proud owner of the browning 440's, the Orizaba Maxi, Mini, 3,and 5 woods, a power pod generations 1 and 2 (Tiger Sharks version is not worth it.) power pod IRONS (yes! 1-10), pixl irons set, Fila Latitudes, a few sets of Samurai full hybrids (too cheap to pass up). In other words, I could easily host an event featuring the ugliest golf clubs ever conceived by man.
[/quote]

No Jerry Barbers? :D

Are the Power Pod irons re-branded Slingers?

I too have some 440s (three sets), an Orizaba Mini and a first generation Power Pod.

The 440s aren't ugly at all IMO. I love those things!

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1342481693' post='5288362']
[/quote]

I too have some 440s (three sets), an Orizaba Mini and a first generation Power Pod.

[/quote]

No Jerry Barbers...had some VAS's but gave them up. The power pod irons are their own thing, they look like they'd be pretty decent yet I can't seem to locate the sweet spot, quite different than the slingers. I love my 440's. played a lot of rounds with them. The 500's seem to be on another level, not so forgiving but easier to work the ball without trapping the ball. I used to have a set of Ginty's - heavy but cool.

The second generation power pod is actually my normal driver. Hits a ton. hit one through a dog leg for the first time in my life on the course I grew up on. As usual, I re-shafted it and gave it a good grip. The 440's I bought in really nice condition - full set 1-SW. I use the 1 and 2 all the time, more or less because I'm not great with the hybrids and my playing partners nit from the whites.

1-10 Slingers, Pod II, Bust'r 3 wood, Samurai 4 hybrid, and my 52" home made aluminum head putter. Makes for a fun round.

[quote name='Helmutwang' timestamp='1342487743' post='5289098']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1342481693' post='5288362']
[/quote]

[/quote]

No Jerry Barbers...had some VAS's but gave them up. The power pod irons are their own thing, they look like they'd be pretty decent yet I can't seem to locate the sweet spot, quite different than the slingers. I love my 440's. played a lot of rounds with them. The 500's seem to be on another level, not so forgiving but easier to work the ball without trapping the ball. I used to have a set of Ginty's - heavy but cool.

The second generation power pod is actually my normal driver. Hits a ton. hit one through a dog leg for the first time in my life on the course I grew up on. As usual, I re-shafted it and gave it a good grip. The 440's I bought in really nice condition - full set 1-SW. I use the 1 and 2 all the time, more or less because I'm not great with the hybrids and my playing partners nit from the whites.

1-10 Slingers, Pod II, Bust'r 3 wood, Samurai 4 hybrid, and my 52" home made aluminum head putter. Makes for a fun round.
[/quote]

I forgot to mention I have a set of first generation VAS.

Different looking, but one of the easiest clubs to align at address I've ever tried.

Saw a wedge on Golf Channel called the F2 (second generation of that product) that looks like it was inspired by the second generation of the VAS when it comes to placement of the hosel.

My dad had a set of Jerry Barbers (left handed). They didn't quite fit as they were, so I sent them back to JB to get them bent more upright. Got a phone call from Jerry Barber himself to discuss the adjustment. Talk about personalized customer service! This was in the early '80s. I've got a 50 ounce practice swing driver from Jerry Barber that I swing religiously (and no, I don't mean only on Christmas and Easter!)

Dad also had a set of Spalding Executive XEs, the first all hybrid set. The only reason he never got a set of Slingers was because they didn't make them in left hand. He did try, though.

This is supposed to be a classics board. Hope our collections don't get us thrown outta here!

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote/]
This is supposed to be a classics board. Hope our collections don't get us thrown outta here!
[/quote]

Funky classics need love & props too; great thread!

Pete S

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY: