Callaway FT-9 and FT-9 Tour

Well I just happen to go to my local range friday and there was the fitting van so I had to try the FT-9 tour with stock stiff..last Cally I had was and FT-3 8.5 nvs -s ...balloooonnn...anyway they put me on track after 5 drives...man...unreal 256 carry...149 ball speed...2460 spin rate 14.7 launch..and 1.48 smash...SOLD!!!

Hi,

I currently have FT-5 Tour 10.5 with NVS-65R.

I'm just wondering if the FT-9 Tour with Fujikura Z-Com Pro 65 will suit me, I'm not a high ball hitter.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated?

Cheerz :) :D ;)

I'd try ZCom (never hit one so can't say from experience on this one) the Fubuki 63 Tour R (I play the S), and consider a DVS R flex. I really like my Blueboard in this head. I still have my FT3 Tour with NVS 65, wont sell that one, it's a cannon.

DVS will feel a tad stiffer than NVS but kicks harder and is more accurate. Check the Bay, as I got NIB DVS for about half of retail, just couple bucks more than Fubuki, which is awesome but may not spin enough for you. The DVS sounds good for you, or Redboard, as little more spin will likely give you more distance as will stay in air longer, and likely fly higher.

FT9 is a fairway finding Beast.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted this driver and decided to take my '09 Cleveland Launcher to compare numbers, well, this one blew my Cleveland out of the water on the monitor,but.

Went to the driving range and compared,,,,,,, not even close! The FT-9 was straight but at least 20 yards shorter and much lower trajectory with a noticible "dead" feel which I doubt any shaft could change.

Not for my swing

TangoJay...sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Had played the FT-i for 2 years until buying the '09 Launcher about 4 weeks ago (10.5*/Gold R). Wanted something long and straight with a hot face, as the FT-i has always felt kinda "mushy" for me. The Launcher was definitely hotter-faced, but after 3 rounds and a half-dozen range visits with it I never gained any consistency with the Launcher. I'd either kill it down the middle or spray it something awful. So today, after another miserable round with it, I headed to my local shop and (thanks to the Cally 25% bonus trade in special) got the FT-9 (10*Draw, zCom R) for next to nothing after trading the old FT-i and 09 Launcher. I hope I made the right call.

I wish you'd been able to hit it on the course in game situations playing your own ball brand to see if your feedback was any different on the FT-9. I too, smashed the Launcher and FT-9 (the Diablo as well) on the monitors, and got horrible results with the Cleveland Launcher on the range. I wonder if your impression of the FT-9 was the result of hitting crappy range balls. At least I hope so! I want so much for the FT-9 to be the answer for me that I bought it without a range demo, just the monitor hitting pro V's and b330's.

I'll update you guys after a couple of rounds with the FT-9.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm nearly 55 with a SS of about 89-93mph and normally play off a hcp of 5 to 7, currently 6.7.

Currently have FT-5 Tour 10.5* and Hi-Bore XLS Tour 10.5* both with NVS-65R .350 shaft.

I'm considering getting the FT-9 Tour 10.5* I-Mix driver, but the NVS is only available in REGULAR as NVS-55R (55-59gm).

Your comments to the following would be greatly appreciated.

1. Has anyone that normally uses the NVS-65R, tried a NVS-55R in the FT-9 Tour I-Mix driver head or any other I-Mix head?
  2. Can you make a comparison between the NVS-65R and I-Mix NVS-55R?
  3. Is the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue which is higher launch shaft, comparible to the NVS-65R but with lower torque?

I have a 9* neutral and love it so far. I have not been able to find something to knock my 510tp out of the bag for 7 years, well, the 510 may have finally met its match. The ft-9 looks a touch goofy at first when comparing to an old 390cc 510, but that quickly goes away when you realize how forgiving it is. I'm swinging 107-ish and dropping high towering bombs. They aren't ballooning, just nice and high while penetrating at the same time. The club feels very solid, better than the Ft-5 IMO, and seems much more forgiving and accurate as well. Distance wise I can't tell how much of a difference there is between the ft-9 and my 510. I need to get on a launch monitor or get some more on course experience with it, but I'd be shocked if it isn't longer.

My first callaway club purchase in 10 years and it looks like a winner :wub:

Hi,

I'm nearly 55 with a SS of about 89-93mph and normally play off a hcp of 5 to 7, currently 6.7.

Currently have FT-5 Tour 10.5* and Hi-Bore XLS Tour 10.5* both with NVS-65R .350 shaft.

I'm considering getting the FT-9 Tour 10.5* I-Mix driver, but the NVS is only available in REGULAR as NVS-55R (55-59gm).

Your comments to the following would be greatly appreciated.

1. Has anyone that normally uses the NVS-65R, tried a NVS-55R in the FT-9 Tour I-Mix driver head or any other I-Mix head?
  2. Can you make a comparison between the NVS-65R and I-Mix NVS-55R?
  3. Is the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue which is higher launch shaft, comparible to the NVS-65R but with lower torque?

I played NVS 65S in my FT3 Tour. For FT9, I'd try a Redboard, DVS, MOI or Fubuki R flex. The Aldila MOI Proto is pretty decent too. YOu can order NVS 65 in Imix, they'd build you an epoxy one if you ask.

The NVS 65 S isn't that stiff, or feels more flexible than some, but wach OE to their own

There's tons of shafts out there, I played Grafalloy ProLite for years, never like Blue, Plat, etc...still like ProLite though.

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

I just picked up a FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5* IMIX after buying an r9 only to have the 460 come out weeks afterward. All I need to do now is pop a shaft in it. I have an XCON 5 that I'm contemplating pulling from my r9 and throwing an IMIX sleeve on it and giving it a ride.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki Tour 73g Stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
Callaway PM 54* & 58*
Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.

I just picked up a FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5* IMIX after buying an r9 only to have the 460 come out weeks afterward. All I need to do now is pop a shaft in it. I have an XCON 5 that I'm contemplating pulling from my r9 and throwing an IMIX sleeve on it and giving it a ride.

X Con would be interesting to try. Nice find, cuz FT9 blows away any TM driver out there, enjoy!

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

Well I've had this driver since February of 2009. I think it's very safe to say I am WELL past the honeymoon phase, as I am writing this on June 7/09.

I still haven't found any driver that gives me the same performance. I can come close, but never better. That's just being honest. That's just talking performance; I still thoroughly enjoy the aesthetic qualities of the club, including the 45" shaft.

Although I chose a draw head, I have no problem hitting a fade. I can tend to over draw this if I come in too inside, but that's nothing new.

It still sounds great to me. I would say if you ever hit indoors during winter this is a good club consider as it has the perfect sound to give you adequate feedback without giving you hearing problems from indoor sessions.

Forgiveness is as good as anything out there. Truly. Low on the face is most punished, as with any club, but this is a larger face than I'm used to seeing, not COBRA huge, but still quite large.

Distance is absolutely as far or further than any other driver I've tested. And to be honest, I put this thing up weekly against everything that comes out. My first criteria is ball control. Next is distance, then the other stuff like looks/sound/etc.

I can say if I found a driver that gave me everything this one does, but just.. 10 yards more, I'd buy it. So the fact it's still in my bag should tell you something.

At the time I write this, I went through a winter of a complete swing change that lowered my clubs a total of 3-4* (flatter). I hit the ball quite a bit lower and with very very little spin. Now I am wishing I would have got the 11* degree driver. I know some tour guys are going higher loft, but I had no idea how low my spin rate had been dropping....

So if I were doing it all over again would I still buy it, just in a higher loft.

I did an in depth review here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...=0#entry1485348

I'm not going to pretend this is the last driver I'll ever own, but this seems like a record for keeping one in the bag!

I thought I would share with you when I was fitted yesterday for the FT9. I have been playing the FT5 for 2 years.

My stats:

Handicap Index 3.1, Club Head Speed 108, FT 5 Draw 11 Loft, VS Proto 60 gram stiff shaft, slow transition (tempo player)

The equipment used for the fitting was Trackman. I hit balls with current FT5 and FT9.

The FT9 increased ball speed by 4 mph, spin was 400 RPM lower (2100), lower launch angle 11 vs 13, ball carried 10 yards further than FT5.

The shaft I'm ordering for the FT9 10 degree is the Whiteboard 63 gram stiff, great solid feel, I thought the FT5 felt solid. The FT9 feels better. I tried 6 different shafts and it was the best for me. Felt the best and best numbers.

Bottom line; the FT9 feels better, goes further with less spin.

I'm sold.

Cheers,

I went to the Hillandale(NC) demo day this past weekend and banged drivers for almost 3 hours. They had most of the big names except Ping and Nike...I did hit everything that was there. I absolutely loved the FT-9. Didnt really care for the tour models though. I also didnt see a big difference in shafts, but liked the Fubuki stiff the best. Out of four of us I was the only one who loved it and everyone else just liked it so... I own a Bridgestone J33r 460 that I really enjoy hitting and like most of the Titleist offerings if that helps at all.

The FT9 was really hot for me and I also liked the muted sound at impact. Hope this helps, GL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Since getting my FT-9 Tour 10.5* and reshafting myself with Aldila DVS-65R, this is the real deal and a fairway finding weapon, now finding 80 to 90% of fairways and dropped my hcp from 7.3 to 6.2 in 2 rounds, driving was main main problem previously.

Don't listen to what MOST OTHERS say, the Callaway FT (FT-3, FT-5, FT-9, FT-i) range of drivers can have the shaft successfully extracted and replaced if you have the patience and equipment.

After doing preparation, barerly 20 to 30 seconds of heat from mini butane torch on non-painted face and heel has the shaft doing a click showing epoxy has been compromised, a further pump with hydraullic shaft extractor and shaft is removed, absolutely no damage to head, sleeve adaptor or shaft.

Once outside of sleeve has been cleaned of old epoxy, shaft could be epoxied back into head if desired, therefore no need now to have i-Mix and you get all the benefits of glue version.

I have the FT-9 Tour, i-Mix, Neutral 9.5 and have been playing it for about 2 months now. I have a Diamana Whiteboard 73 x-stiff, and a Fubuki Tour 63 x-stiff.

For reference: my favorite driver of all time is the Titleist 905R with a UST Proforce V2 (which I still use from time to time). I recently bought and very quickly sold a Taylormade Tour Burner with ProForce V2, 45.5"- did not like that club- no control, too light, too long in length. I am a 10 handicap, I have always hit the ball pretty far. My issues are: too high of a trajectory, and control. Who cares if you hit it far but put it in the trees or next fairway?

My goal was a set-up that produces a lower ball flight and a tighter dispersion pattern (straighter).

The FT-9 Tour with the 73 x-stiff Diamana Whiteboard is the ultimate combo for me and my swing. This combo is as long as my other two drivers (the Titleist 905R mentioned above, and a Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS with Aldila VS Proto 60 stiff). However, the key for me is a lower trajectory. Even better than that, however, is the incredibly tight dispersion I get. This club is very, very straight for me. I believe it is a combination of the heavier weight and tip-stiff, butt-flexible Whiteboard. Of course, it helps that the Whiteboard is one of the lowest launching shafts made. The muted sound is nice. At first, the lack of audible smack gave the impression that the FT-9 face was not as hot as my other two drivers, but that is definitely not the case. Sound-wise, the FT-9 and my Hi-Bore XLS are about as opposite as you can get (the Hi-Bore is incredibly loud). I certainly prefer the sound of the FT-9 to the Hi-Bore. 905R has a great sound as well.

Very, very pleased with this combo.

I have not had as much luck with the Fubuki. To be sure it is a very nice shaft, but as of right now, I am thinking it does not match up as well with my swing. The FT-9 with the Fubuki is long, but the ball flight is a bit too high, and I definitely have more control issues with the Fubuki.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the FT-9 Tour with the standard Fuji X-Shaft for a few months now, and I love it. I decided to go with this driver after hitting quite a few others at a local demo day (TaylorMade R9, Nike Str-8 Fit and Dymo, Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS Monster and Launcher, as well as some others). In the end, it came down to the FT-9 Tour and the Nike Dymo. While I hit both pretty equally, I liked the sound of the Callaway more. I tend to swing pretty much as hard as I can and as a result, always get people looking over at me in disgust when I'm at the range because of the noise. With this club in my hand, I don't have to worry about that at all.

On my mishits, which is about 50% of the time, I usually tend to hit a decent-sized fade. Even though I'm hitting the Tour model, which is 1* open at address, my mishits are oftentimes still finding the right side of the fairway (still amazes me to this day since it's never been the case before). I've also found that some of my mishits have gone just as far as when I hit it on the nuts, which has blown me away! With the sound/performance combination, I have to say that I've loved this driver and have no remorse. The X-shaft does feel a little dull when I swing it, but the distance shows otherwise.

I just got my hands on the new FT-9, and I love it. I switched from a 9 degree Cobra F/Speed to 10 degree FT-9 Neutral. I did not get it with I-Mix as I don't think that the technology is safe enough for regular use. When that tech has been around for at least a few years then maybe I'll switch again. Anyways, I love the driver. I feel like I can bomb it and the ball fall is piercing and it goes just as long as with my Cobra. I am not a big hitter maybe 250 yards and with the 10 degree I can still hit it that far. Great driver and I would recommend demoing it to anyone looking for a new driver.

Hi I tried the FT9 tour in neutral with a stiff Fubuki I got to take the driver to the course, it was very consistent and long, I found it easier to shape than my G10 but it was no longer, and I am consistent with the G10, it was a great feeling driver, I took my G10 along to a Callaway fitting day, on the Launch monitor, both shafts looked similar and figures were very close Club speed 107 Ball speed 156 Launch 12.5 spin 2300 both were very close, I cannot justify the extra cash but if I had it I would have bought a Callaway to try it, Steve

After a Callaway Demo Day in May, I ordered a 10* Draw FT-9 I-MIX. I was previously playing a 9.5* FT-5. The FT-9 is really, really solid!

Like other reviews have stated, the sound is great and the face is hot! I'm amazed at how far the ball goes without swinging out of your shoes.

I can't comprehend some people's fear of the I-MIX system. It's absolutely stable and trustworthy. You never notice that it's there when you're swinging. It's great to grab a couple of demo shafts and hit the range. After you're warmed up, you can swap a different shaft in less than a minute and see for yourself just how different shafts affect your ball flight. That's immensely valuable, since buying lots of shafts just to try them is not economical.

I really like the Fubuki 63s but bought a Whiteboard 63s. If you can carry 250 or more, definitely try a Whiteboard; don't be scared by other people's comments. My Whiteboard 63s is not a low launcher, so I might try a 73s or 83s if I can find a good deal on eBay.

[quote name='yahtzee' post='1858485' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:15 PM'][quote name='ctgolfer4433' post='1856369' date='Jul 31 2009, 07:38 PM']can someone please explain the difference between the regular and tour heads? Thanks[/quote]

Tour heads are 1* open and non-tour heads are 1* closed.
[/quote]

There's more than just face angle. Geometry is a bit different, CoG. Ball flight is completely different. I have a 10 non-Tour and 10.5 Tour...I bet the 10.5 Tour plays like an 8 or 9 non-Tour regarding launch angle. Different clubs, the Tour is for links, windy days, where not so much forced carries and runout is priority. Where need high flying bombs that just go, but don't have the rollout of the Tour, the non-Tour is my favorite.

Get both in I-Mix, can get new on sites for about 350, well less than 400 for the pair, then have both.

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

[quote name='babynoob' post='1835000' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:52 PM']I just got my hands on the new FT-9, and I love it. I switched from a 9 degree Cobra F/Speed to 10 degree FT-9 Neutral. I did not get it with I-Mix as I don't think that the technology is safe enough for regular use. When that tech has been around for at least a few years then maybe I'll switch again. Anyways, I love the driver. I feel like I can bomb it and the ball fall is piercing and it goes just as long as with my Cobra. I am not a big hitter maybe 250 yards and with the 10 degree I can still hit it that far. Great driver and I would recommend demoing it to anyone looking for a new driver.[/quote]

Safe enough? Safe for what? I have 3 I-Mix heads (had 5 at one time) and had 7 (down to 4) shafts. Not sure what worried about, but interesting that someone would have a safety concern. We live in such a (often maliciousluy so) litigious society, there's not a chance a major OEM would issue a product that was 'unsafe for golf' (sounds like a CNN or MSLSD headline doesn't it?). Besides, heads are carbom composite, so would hurt as much as all titanium if a shaft breaks on a glued one (which I have done).

Stay Safe, enjoy your FT9, it's one of best drivers out there.

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

[quote name='golfdad907' post='1858605' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:16 PM'][quote name='babynoob' post='1835000' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:52 PM']I just got my hands on the new FT-9, and I love it. I switched from a 9 degree Cobra F/Speed to 10 degree FT-9 Neutral. I did not get it with I-Mix as I don't think that the technology is safe enough for regular use. When that tech has been around for at least a few years then maybe I'll switch again. Anyways, I love the driver. I feel like I can bomb it and the ball fall is piercing and it goes just as long as with my Cobra. I am not a big hitter maybe 250 yards and with the 10 degree I can still hit it that far. Great driver and I would recommend demoing it to anyone looking for a new driver.[/quote]

Safe enough? Safe for what? I have 3 I-Mix heads (had 5 at one time) and had 7 (down to 4) shafts. Not sure what worried about, but interesting that someone would have a safety concern. We live in such a (often maliciousluy so) litigious society, there's not a chance a major OEM would issue a product that was 'unsafe for golf' (sounds like a CNN or MSLSD headline doesn't it?). Besides, heads are carbom composite, so would hurt as much as all titanium if a shaft breaks on a glued one (which I have done).

Stay Safe, enjoy your FT9, it's one of best drivers out there.
[/quote]

I agree, the post you quoted was probably the dumbest one I've ever heard, I guess this guy doesn't cross bridges, because they use bolts just like i-mix does, he must not trust cars, they have bolts too. Hmm, wait your computer's motherboard is held on by screws. Don't trust threaded things!

I would even argue that the i-Mix version is safer than a stick and glue version, with respect to worries about the head flying off the shaft. With a stick and glue driver, the only way to check is to try to wiggle the driver head and check for play, but at the end of the day, if you cannot feel any play, you have to assume that the connection is solid. Theoretically, the glue could have been applied incorrectly at the factory or could have deteriorated, and even if there is no play, the connection might be at risk.

I personally don't worry about such things- I am just addressing the other poster's concern.

Alternatively, with the i-Mix if you are worried you can check that the connection is solid and have objective evidence to know for certain by simply checking that the shaft is screwed in with the correct amount of torque with the included torque wrench. This takes 5 seconds.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

i had the pleasure of hitting the non-tour version at the local golf shop after work on thursday and the tour version on friday

Thursday's trial was purely indoors with the machines monitoring the spin rate etc on stock stiff shaft. Maybe because i rushed to get there via subway in the hot summer weather but I just couldn't get comfortable enough to hit the ball well. It felt like i couldn't get a decent grip or footing and i ended up with <4k rpm spin and ~110MPH club head speed.
However, on Friday at chelsea pier, i was able to really hit the club after a proper warmup but sadly it was nearly impossible to track the ball with the sun shining directly into the plain view. It seems like ball flight was comparably high as my nike but it just didn't feel hot off the face as it does on the nike. Hopefully i can give it another try when it's darker out to get a better representation

Anyone have experience with both clubs (nike sq 460 tour) and comment on the ball flight, spin rate and forgiveness?
I'm really looking forward to getting back in the game but the whole equipment market has changed so much over the years

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]