Callaway FT-9 and FT-9 Tour

FT-9

Hyperbolic Face Technology in a Titanium Face Cup for ball speed robustness. Sleeker body shape moves weight further back. External web weighting for increased shot shaping control.

Draw and Neutral cg positions. Longer than FT-5, More forgiving than FT-i. FUJI Z-com shafts.

post-11-1220938627-2_thumb.jpg

post-11-1220938628-3_thumb.jpg

post-11-1220938629-5_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they intend to 'launch' it in February, shouldn't they have some information about them on the Cally webbie by now or very soon :huh:

Consider the Ft-9 Tour head in an I-Mix version with a Diamana White -IMix shaft or the Timmy Burner Tp '09 with the Diamana White - my intuition tells me, that both these drivers are fantastic, but the Timmy might be my pick, since it will be $200 cheaper and I already love the Timmy TBTP with the Diamana White shaft :smilie_tm:

But will definitely take a close look and test this FT-9 Tour I-Mix head ASAP - Timmy may be in front in the Driver race, but Cally is very close :smilie_cally:

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to hit the FT-9 and the FT-iQ this weekend as my club had a Callaway Demo day...I hit the FT-9 Tour 9.5 with the stiff shaft (63grams) and I really like this driver...it comes off the face very hot and the trajectory was excellent...I tend to hit my current driver very high...the FT-9 ball flight was boring but seem to just keep going and going... :clapping: I am seriously considering this club.

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

I ordered the I-Mix FT-9 8.5* head that should be shipped sometime in February. From what I've read this should help me lower my ball flight and RPMs. I currently switch between a whiteboard and a xconn-6 shaft. I am excited to get this clubhead. Hope I can get my RPMs below 3,000. I hit the ball way to high with my FT-5 head.

I ordered the I-Mix FT-9 8.5* head that should be shipped sometime in February. From what I've read this should help me lower my ball flight and RPMs. I currently switch between a whiteboard and a xconn-6 shaft. I am excited to get this clubhead. Hope I can get my RPMs below 3,000. I hit the ball way to high with my FT-5 head.

Did you order it blindly without hitting it?

Yes, I ordered it blindly w/out hitting it. Sorry I don't have a whole lot more information on it then what we have all read. I am more concerned with accuracy and trajectory control than I am distance.

Yes, I ordered it blindly w/out hitting it. Sorry I don't have a whole lot more information on it then what we have all read. I am more concerned with accuracy and trajectory control than I am distance.

Let us know how you like it, I've got a Whiteboard imix that I might have to attach a new 9 to!

For those that have the iMix driver set, how do you like the detachable shaft system? I know on another golf board, when I mentioned such systems in starting a thread back when USGA allowed these, they laughed at me. But I was thinking more from marketability and practicality that, imo, the main part of a driver where one loses distance is in the wrong shaft selection. And if you buy a $400-500 fixed driver-shaft combination, most people will feel 'stuck' with it or not realize what could have been with a better shaft selection, or even if they feel that way, would not want to re-sell (at a loss) the new driver to shell out another $400-500. So, imo, the detachable system allows you to get a 'new setup' without having to pay another small fortune. My question...do they work just as well as a fixed driver-shaft setup?

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

• 2 weeks later...
For those that have the iMix driver set, how do you like the detachable shaft system? I know on another golf board, when I mentioned such systems in starting a thread back when USGA allowed these, they laughed at me. But I was thinking more from marketability and practicality that, imo, the main part of a driver where one loses distance is in the wrong shaft selection. And if you buy a $400-500 fixed driver-shaft combination, most people will feel 'stuck' with it or not realize what could have been with a better shaft selection, or even if they feel that way, would not want to re-sell (at a loss) the new driver to shell out another $400-500. So, imo, the detachable system allows you to get a 'new setup' without having to pay another small fortune. My question...do they work just as well as a fixed driver-shaft setup?

I have some of same model in Imix and epoxy (FT5 Tour and FTi LCG) and the play about same...can't say as Imix shafts (5 of them) aren't identical to epoxy.

Yes, the ability to switch shafts is very cool, takes less than 30 seconds...today wind was 15-20 with 30 mph gusts, so screw on the ultra stiff low traj shaft, and bore through wind....also let's see Ft9 TOur head is $299 retail, driver is what $429? I'll find a head only on ebay for about $250 or less (guessing) and already have plenty of shafts to mix and match. FTiq TOur head is $399 retail (like about $325 on eabay, maybe less) with epoxy shaft is $529...I have 2 Diamanas and DVS so I need Fubuki, why?

I think the idea is cool, and don't ahve to send Fusion back to Cally for reshaft, I'm sure there are local guys, but finding one who won't fubar the head pulling shaft is not a task I'm willing to take on. Cally cust serv is always good to me, but it's so simple to change shaft myself.

I'm curious since TM came up with the change my driver loft, lie and face angle for today club, if everyone now will be like, oh how innovative....changing loft and face angle? I wonder if they'll come up with shafts that work like ball retrievers and change length too.

I bet you can call Cally and they will make an Imx of any shaft you want, or posbily send them one to get Imix tip installed? I've seen threads where people pull out one shaft and put another into the Imix connector....you can buy cheap Imix shaft for less than $50 on ebay.....then you'll have connector.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I had a chance to hit the FT-9 this weekend at a demo day. I tried a 9.5 stock fuji. Z com shaft in a stiff flex. I currently play an FT-5 9.5. The new look of the FT-9 is aesthetically sound. I really like the fact that they improve the cosmetics to the sole and added the look of raw carbon fiber. The first thing I noticed was the sound. It is very toned down from the FT-5. The FT-9 definitely gives a more boring ball flight and I would say miss hits go further and straighter. Mishits also feel less harsh than the FT-5 which could be considered both good and bad. All and all very good club plan on up grading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is the face on the 9 much hotter than the 5?

It's a bit hotter, killed ones are definitely 20 past FT5, it's more about consistency of ball speed, I think. You can miss a FT9 a lot 'more' than FT5 and lose half what gave up with FT5, maybe less. Sweet spot (area) is far larger on FT9, so swing harder

The head is lower spin on new one, teamed with Fubuki Tour (thanks, Cally) maybe too low, at least for me. I played windy day, granted 1st time with FT9/Fubuki, not even range. Anyway, I am going to plug in my Redboard, DVS and Blueboards, to see how each plays. Other experimant is to put Fubuki in FT5 Tour head, that could be killer.

Main benefits I see are, generally longer, wide sweetspot, able to move ball, and the sound, it's great. FT5 was kinda loud, but know when you killed one by sound, I liked my FT3 (still have it), this one is just a quality of the click kind of sound, as close to persimmon as ever in metal type wood.

I'm happy I got one, overall a nicer club. The IMix thing is swesome, as I have several options to play around with. And can add iQ heat if get bored....once a HO, always a

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I just bought a 10* FT-9 (draw). It's a Japanese spec club so it's got a Graphite Design / Callaway collaboration shaft on it.

Looks:

I love the looks of the clubhead. Some where on here, someone mentioned changing the paintfill to a more sombre color. I agree with that completely. Perhaps a bright white or something that goes with the high tech look of the visible weight webs. The club somehow speaks to me with it edgy, techy feel. Better than when TM tries to go high tech, in my opinion. The headcover, while functional, is junk. Looks very normal and I think the headcover on my HiBore XL is easier on and off the club too.

Feel:

This club swings just a tad smoother than the FT-I and the FT-3 (pre re-shaft) I have. I brought it to the range with my FT-i and I can honestly say this club feels so much smoother. Impacts are audible but muted. Very much like a mix between a metallic ping subdued by some solid wooden plugs, if that makes any sense. It's a nice solid smack. No loud metalic clangs, no empty can noises and no Aluminum baseball bat noises either.

Feedback is a little muted and I find it hard to tell where I've hit it on the face. It tends to sound quite similar over a pretty large spot on the face. With the FT-3 and 5's, it was always easy to tell when I hit it dead on because it would produce that loud, ugly sound.

Performance:

There is no doubt that this club launches lower than the FT-i and even the FT-5. The ballflight instantly feels much more penetrating. I've always been a low ball hitter with the driver and I would like a little bit more lift so I would have liked an 11* but the local dealer did not have one and I'd have to wait months.

Distance is also good and it manages a few more yards on bad shots. With good shots, it's not better than anything I've got in the bag.

Conclusion:

Honestly, this is a great club. It's not gonna beat my FT-3/GD M-55 combo out of the bag just yet but it's not at the shop getting a Rombax put in. We'll see if that translates into better performance.

It the ft-9 tour like the ft- 5 or like the ft-3 tour off tyhe face?

I love the ft-3 feel as it is a coposite I was wandering if the ft-9 was like this as I have seen that it is part comp crown?

Also does anyone know what shaft phil is using in it?

Thanks

Haven't had a chance to hit it. I want a 10.5 draw with a fubuki. But phil Had a tour hosel head with a fubuki this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up an FT-9 Draw with the stiff shaft. Played it the first time yesterday and only missed three fairways and those were terrible swings. A bit longer than others I've hit but not the longest. It is the straightest though. Driving is by far the weakest part of my game and this definitely saved me some strokes.

The 2009 Burner and Cobra S 9.1 were both longer but much more erratic for me.

DH

:good: I've owned the FT-9 for about 15 rounds now.I bought a 9* w/ a stock stiff shaft and it is the most forgiving driver i've ever owned.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

I have to share this - I had demoed the ft-9 tour and diablo, but special ordered the ft-9 tour stiff fujikura z-com pro 65 shaft . I added 3/4 of an inch to match the length of my prior ping drivers. I ordered the 8.5 loft. Not knowing how the shaft would be and the loft your hesitant to order - but this worked out just fine. This club is amazing - perfect launch, sound and feel. Without question ball is going 15-20 yds longer. I used to have a g-10 and a exotics xcg 9 driver. This club is very forgiving - I hit a few off the heel (almost hosel) and it still went straight. The feel is incredible - I am so pleased - I am a 48 yr. old who plays with 20 somethings and they could not touch my drives, rarely could before either - I am a 5 handicap and have a 110 mph swing speed - not bad for an old person!! I play in Columbus Ohio and all drives right now are pretty much hit and plug its so wet. I did fly a drive 295 in the air on the #1 handicap hole 425 on my home course, it hit and backed up a foot. I had 135 in to a middle back pin. The club just sets up to grip it and rip it - so much confidence and sits just beautiful.

Needless to say I'm very pleased and cant wait for the day I get some roll on this club and see these babies roll out to 300 + drives - whereas right now anything that carries 250 + is good.

I traded in my exotics and had to pay 200 for this driver and even got the two free fairway woods.

Here is my bag in case anyone is interested. My stuff is insured for almost $4,000 - pretty much a club ho if you ask me.

Bag - rare white/w some black ping voyage

Driver - FT-9 tour 45 3/4 with fujikura stiff z-com pro 65 shaft

3 wood - tour edge exotics cb2 15 degree

4 wood - callaway x stiff stock shaft ( not in the bag much too many wedges - c below)

nickent 4dx - stiff shaft - 20 degrees

nickent 5+ - stiff shaft - 24.5 degrees

irons 6,7,8,9,pw,A - taylor made cgb

wedges

52 cleveland zip grooves (not in bag right now - dont know what to take out?)

callaway x forged 56,60,64 all with PM mack daddy grooves

odyssey xcg- #7

ball - hey its mushy right now - hx hot, top flight freak or nike juice

summertime - callaway ix, prov1, or something that spins

headcovers - jan craig for 3 wood, hybrids, driver TD (Miami dolphins mascot)

Hope you enjoyed the post - I love reading the reviews you all put out here - I of course have to try stuff myself but it helps to be steered in the right direction

I got a chance to hit the FT-9 and the FT-iQ this weekend as my club had a Callaway Demo day

How did the two heads compare? I know you said you liked the FT-9, but how did it compare to the iQ?

Sorry for the late response but they were very similar in feel (obviously looked a little different at address). They were both Tour versions. One big difference to me was I that I hit the FT-IQ very very straight...I lie to you not! I had to make a really bad move to hit it slightly off line. The FT-9 was also very forgiving while making good swings but I felt like I got a few more yards out of the FT-9 then the FT-IQ. Well as you can see in my signature I went with the FT-9 but mainly becuase of how I came to own this club as follows:

A very good friend of mine works at Edwin Watts and he knew I liked the FT-9 but was not interested in spending $429 (Tour version). Well he calls me about a month ago and says this guy who plays on the local Mini Tours (Gateway, Hooters, etc...) just came in and traded in this FT-9 that he had Callaway build him back before they even were out to the public (he knows someone at Callaway). Anyway it was an FT-9 Tour, 9.5 deg, Draw version (with the face set more open then stock) and it had the new Grafalloy (red) Axis X70 shaft. He only played it for about a month and was looking for soemhting different but it was in great shape (like new). Anyway I love this club as I have never hit a draw bias club before and I have completely taken the right side of the course out of play off the tee. So I negiotated with him and bought it for $275 which I think is a great deal with the way I am hitting it. Oh and also my stats say that I am longer with the FT9 then I was with my PING Rapture.

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

Well I just happen to go to my local range friday and there was the fitting van so I had to try the FT-9 tour with stock stiff..last Cally I had was and FT-3 8.5 nvs -s ...balloooonnn...anyway they put me on track after 5 drives...man...unreal 256 carry...149 ball speed...2460 spin rate 14.7 launch..and 1.48 smash...SOLD!!!

Well I just happen to go to my local range friday and there was the fitting van so I had to try the FT-9 tour with stock stiff..last Cally I had was and FT-3 8.5 nvs -s ...balloooonnn...anyway they put me on track after 5 drives...man...unreal 256 carry...149 ball speed...2460 spin rate 14.7 launch..and 1.48 smash...SOLD!!!

Hi,

I currently have FT-5 Tour 10.5 with NVS-65R.

I'm just wondering if the FT-9 Tour with Fujikura Z-Com Pro 65 will suit me, I'm not a high ball hitter.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated?

Cheerz :) :D ;)

Hey guys, does anybody know the difference of the face angle between the regular and tour I-Mix versions? I know that the tour is a bit open, but can't seem to find any info on the Callaway site about the regular.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's a good question - if the regular is 1* closed and the tour .5* open, is that a 1.5* difference or just .5*...?

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Comp KK 60 g Stiff
Callaway Razr Fit 15* TourSPX vts silver
Mizuno MP hybrid 23* Fubuki S
Miura PP9003sn 5i - PW Aerotech SF80
Mizuno JPX 50* TP4 55* TP4 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport2