Why TIGER throws his club down??

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of you guys really need to get a life or something........there's a damn site worst things going on in the world than tiger dropping or slamming a club..........the guy is an awesome golfer and damands the best from himself, showing some emotion when he gets it wrong is not ANoTHER reason to open a slam tiger thread........

just grow up and get over it why don't you!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for all the phil lovers out there, i'd rather see tiger throw a club, than mickelson's cheesy grin on my screen!!!!!!biggrin.gifyahoo.gif

Couldn't you say the same thing about Tiger? :russian_roulette:

Lack of maturity.

Most people (here) understand the desire to win and play well. I have never seen Nicklaus, Palmer, Snead and Nelson throw there clubs and curse like Tiger. I am not saying the old timers did not do that but i doubt it was anything like Tiger. Sure there

is constant TV coverage now as compared to the 50s,60s and 70s but that is more

reason Tiger should grow up.

Tiger will probably be the greatest player by the time he is done in terms of wins in both Majors and tournaments but he is not in the same league as Nickluas, Palmer, Snead and

Nelson when it comes to role model behavior and class.

It is unfortunate, however it is life...I wouldn't mind seeing a fine system. I think the PGA has already discussed this internally, and feel the same about it, when you perform at a high level in any sport you can lose it when things dont work out how they are supposed to. Now the Sergio incident from a little back thats low class....

The only thing at stake here is a person's reputation and how many loyal fans they build. People pretty much earn their reputation and place in history based both upon their stats and upon their behavior and fan following. What is developing is a situation where, 30 years from now, people will say "best ever in terms of stats but lots of people didn't like him because of ......". And to Tiger, he may not care. And to most of his fans, they may not care. But what is being lost is the kind of widespread admiration people like Palmer receive from so many. And I do not think this is related to race, but more so just to behavior.

The King himself just said he's been known to throw a club or two. Let's flame him too! Geez!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Noooooooooo, the king said he has done it a few times but his father taught him at young age that is NOT how you act.

Lets get to the real problem with this, it really doesnt matter if he wants to act like a infantile little whiny brat, What does matter, is that he is a role model of so many young golfers, he should respect the game, so that his young fans can emulate him in a positive way. I dont care how pissed off he gets about missing a shot, there is this little thing called COMPOSURE.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

I was watching with my 10 year old daughter last night when Tiger slammed his driver. Like most juniors, Tiger is her favorite. Children her age imitate their heros. Tiger's every move is watched and absorbed by these kids. He has a direct influence on thousands of junior golfers and how they will ultimately choose to conduct themselves on the course. Plain and simple, he sets a bad example with that type of behavior and should show some restraint.

I admire his passion and high expectations of himself, but for a player who is so disciplined in all other aspects of his game and life, he should learn to exhibit it a little more of that discipline with regard to his on course conduct. He knows the cameras are always on him yet still chooses to exhibit poor conduct. He can and should do better.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I was watching with my 10 year old daughter last night when Tiger slammed his driver. Like most juniors, Tiger is her favorite. Children her age imitate their heros. Tiger's every move is watched and absorbed by these kids. He has a direct influence on thousands of junior golfers and how they will ultimately choose to conduct themselves on the course. Plain and simple, he sets a bad example with that type of behavior and should show some restraint.

I admire his passion and high expectations of himself, but for a player who is so disciplined in all other aspects of his game and life, he should learn to exhibit it a little more of that discipline with regard to his on course conduct. He knows the cameras are always on him yet still chooses to exhibit poor conduct. He can and should do better.

+1 on this post.

Also, Tiger didn't just slam his club down (as he often does), he winged it across the tee box.

Lack of maturity.

Most people (here) understand the desire to win and play well. I have never seen Nicklaus, Palmer, Snead and Nelson throw there clubs and curse like Tiger. I am not saying the old timers did not do that but i doubt it was anything like Tiger. Sure there

is constant TV coverage now as compared to the 50s,60s and 70s but that is more

reason Tiger should grow up.

Tiger will probably be the greatest player by the time he is done in terms of wins in both Majors and tournaments but he is not in the same league as Nickluas, Palmer, Snead and

Nelson when it comes to role model behavior and class.

Not in the same league as 85% of the Tour as well as the greats you stated.

He is a brat and poor hot head.

Never cheer for him, and never will just because of his super ego and stuck up attitute.

You fans that think this is nothing, I hope you play with hot heads in your foresome and see if it does not prove disrupting and classless.

Tiger is a thug and ego machine...Rust on Eldrick.

The Golf Channel just kisses his rear when this happens too, and that is wrong.

He is not Jesus, and He is not the TOUR.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

there is nothing you can do about, so you should adjust and get over it, OR if you cant stand the man so much STOP watching him play!!!!

Not really possible the way that the golf channel and the networks follow his every move when he is on the course.

Right exactly, he could be 6 shots off the lead and we still get over tigered by the media.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

I can understand tossing a club after a really bad shot, but I don't like seeing him tossing clubs when he is a mear 10 yards off the mark. We all know he is the best, but sending the message that unless it's percfect it's not acceptable is not cool for the other players and the kids watching him.

It is nice to see him back in action.

for what it's worth, three things i'm thinking right now:

1. i think a club slam once in a while is an entirely appropriate way to release frustration provided you dont: do it all the time, destroy the course, or disrupt your playing partners. now, i know Tiger let the club out of his hand, but it was more of a slam than a throw.

2. if what Tiger did yesterday outraged you this much, did your head just up and explode in a fiery rain after Sergio spit in the cup? and if so, how did you get it back together without massive scarring?

3. in the last ten years, with talking to all the people i've ever played golf with or members of the country club pro-shops i've worked in, i had no idea there was so much SEETHING HATRED for Tiger out there among golf fans. it actually kinda saddens me to hear so much of it on WRX. being able to observe up close and personal a once-in-a-lifetime athlete is my pleasure and something i feel extremely lucky to observe. is her perfect? no. but he's also under a unique media pressure and scrutiny maybe only a president can relate to. considering the position he's in, i think he does a million more things right than wrong.

for what it's worth, three things i'm thinking right now:

1. i think a club slam once in a while is an entirely appropriate way to release frustration provided you dont: do it all the time, destroy the course, or disrupt your playing partners. now, i know Tiger let the club out of his hand, but it was more of a slam than a throw.

2. if what Tiger did yesterday outraged you this much, did your head just up and explode in a fiery rain after Sergio spit in the cup? and if so, how did you get it back together without massive scarring?

3. in the last ten years, with talking to all the people i've ever played golf with or members of the country club pro-shops i've worked in, i had no idea there was so much SEETHING HATRED for Tiger out there among golf fans. it actually kinda saddens me to hear so much of it on WRX. being able to observe up close and personal a once-in-a-lifetime athlete is my pleasure and something i feel extremely lucky to observe. is her perfect? no. but he's also under a unique media pressure and scrutiny maybe only a president can relate to. considering the position he's in, i think he does a million more things right than wrong.

Apparently you are mistaking disappointment for "SEETHING HATRED." I think most of us would just like to see Tiger set a good example for youngsters (and the rest of us) by conducting himself a little better on the course. He is undoubtedly one of the best athletes (let alone golfers) of all time. Arguably, with that comes some responsibility. Is it too much to ask that Tiger exhibit the same level of self control and discipline with his emotions that he does with his practice regimen, course management, physical training, etc.? I don't think so.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't see the big deal. Does he throw his club every time a shot doesn't go the way he wants? Nope. I look at the person, the circumstances and the seriousness of his actions. Once Tiger retires, is the headline going to say "120 victories, 25 majors, club thrower"? Lighten up Francis.

About the role model comments, if your child start throwing his club because he or she sees Tiger doing it then control your child. That's what you're suppose to do.

i played in a foursome today where none of us had a "seething hatred" towards the man (ok, maybe one guy did) but none of us root for him nor do we kowtow at his feet like so many...

he's arguably the greatest golfer to ever walk the planet, has a gazillion dollars, a hot wife, a massive estate, a reeeedonculous yacht and flocks of people rooting for him everywhere he goes all the time...does he really need the unconditional love and defense expressed by so many here when he's criticized? please...

i don't have a major issue with any of his actions...but i do have an issue with the double-standard so many of his fans have for him relative to other golfers. there's always a "legitimate excuse/justification" for EVERY single thing the guys does...come on...

also, WRT to him being a role model (whether he wants to or not, and i'm pretty sure he does want to be)...if you've never played in the same group as a young(er/ish) golfer who thinks he/she has to hit every single shot perfect or else blows his/her lid...you don't know why so many people want him to keep his emotions in check (when it comes to club flinging/flipping, swearing and whatever other exasperated stuff he does on the course). sure it's the parents' responsbility (and I'm all for that) but is it all that difficult to set a better example? does the desire to win a friggin' golf tournament justify any/all means to that end?

don't get me started on Stevie...he seems like a pompous douchebag. yeah, i don't know him in real life...don't really care to either...

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd