2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Why TIGER throws his club down??

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching with my 10 year old daughter last night when Tiger slammed his driver. Like most juniors, Tiger is her favorite. Children her age imitate their heros. Tiger's every move is watched and absorbed by these kids. He has a direct influence on thousands of junior golfers and how they will ultimately choose to conduct themselves on the course. Plain and simple, he sets a bad example with that type of behavior and should show some restraint.

I admire his passion and high expectations of himself, but for a player who is so disciplined in all other aspects of his game and life, he should learn to exhibit it a little more of that discipline with regard to his on course conduct. He knows the cameras are always on him yet still chooses to exhibit poor conduct. He can and should do better.

I can just see it now, juniors are going to be raining clubs from the sky! Watch out next time you are on the range, especially next to any juniors. Actually this is the part where the parent comes in just as Arnies Father did with him. If you throw another club you're done with golf.

I was watching with my 10 year old daughter last night when Tiger slammed his driver. Like most juniors, Tiger is her favorite. Children her age imitate their heros. Tiger's every move is watched and absorbed by these kids. He has a direct influence on thousands of junior golfers and how they will ultimately choose to conduct themselves on the course. Plain and simple, he sets a bad example with that type of behavior and should show some restraint.

I admire his passion and high expectations of himself, but for a player who is so disciplined in all other aspects of his game and life, he should learn to exhibit it a little more of that discipline with regard to his on course conduct. He knows the cameras are always on him yet still chooses to exhibit poor conduct. He can and should do better.

I can just see it now, juniors are going to be raining clubs from the sky! Watch out next time you are on the range, especially next to any juniors. Actually this is the part where the parent comes in just as Arnies Father did with him. If you throw another club you're done with golf.

Exactly, when I was younger and had a temper on the course it wasn't because I saw a player do it on TV. It just seemed like the thing to do at the time, my father taught me that wasn't the way to behave on the course.

Anyone who thinks Tiger tossing a club is the reason a kid would toss a club needs to take a look at the people who are supposed to be teaching the kid his life lessons, which are his parents.

Crazy talk to think that Tiger is going to influence that kind of behavior.

Exactly, when I was younger and had a temper on the course it wasn't because I saw a player do it on TV. It just seemed like the thing to do at the time, my father taught me that wasn't the way to behave on the course.

Anyone who thinks Tiger tossing a club is the reason a kid would toss a club needs to take a look at the people who are supposed to be teaching the kid his life lessons, which are his parents.

Crazy talk to think that Tiger is going to influence that kind of behavior.

Wow, very profound, "parents should be teaching their kid's 'life lessons'." Now that we've acknowledged the obvious, let me ask you a couple of questions: Does a child's peer group have an influence on their behavior? How about television programming? Music? Advertising? Sports heroes? Give me a break. Kids emulate their idols. You are naive (and likely not a parent yourself) if you think that Tiger does not have an influence on children, even those from the best of families with involved, good parents.

I like to think that one of the things that makes golf so great is the honor, integrity and general etiquette of conduct that is part of the tradition of the game. Tiger is arguably the greatest golfer of all time and the most well known sports figure on the planet. Kids worship him. Most of the time he conducts himself well and sets a great example; especially if you compare him to athletes in other sports. Wouldn't it be great if we could watch him perform and tell our children, "look, Tiger controls his temper on the course and maintains composure regardless of circumstance, and so should you?"

It's a lot better than watching a broadcast and saying, "well, Tiger is the best in the world honey. He has earned the right to slam or fling his clubs in disgust and cuss up a storm when he hits a bad shot." "Do as I say, not as Tiger does."

The guy displays more discipline in his approach to the game than any player in history. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his fire and intensity. I simply suggest he apply some of the discipline he displays in all other aspects of his game toward controlling his outbursts. We would all be better off for it.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I wonder if we'll see a different attitude from him when his youg'ins get to that age where they can watch him on TV and mimic what Daddy does. That will be most telling.

+1...Most telling indeed

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I dont see any reason for throwing your club after a bad shot. especially the person thats the face of the game like he is. there seems to be a lot of people here that dont seem to have a problem with it, well it bothers me. he is the best player out there and they camera is always on him, he knows this and should try to set an example. I would have a problem with it if anyone did it.

there are other that ask why does this come up every week?? well he does it a lot, twice I saw this week and I missed most of the tournament. just about every tournament i see him in I probably see him do it at least once. plus the camera shows almost everyone of his shots no matter where he is in the tournament, so you get to see every club throw, im sure there others out there that do it, but you dont see them every time.

I understand being passionate about the game and about winning, but using that as an excuse for behavior like that is just dumb and a cop out. I understand being mad with a shot, believe me it happens to me a lot, but I dont go chucking my clubs around, sure id like to some times, but I use restraint. I think its just bad manners.

some of you guys really need to get a life or something........there's a damn site worst things going on in the world than tiger dropping or slamming a club..........the guy is an awesome golfer and damands the best from himself, showing some emotion when he gets it wrong is not ANoTHER reason to open a slam tiger thread........

just grow up and get over it why don't you!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for all the phil lovers out there, i'd rather see tiger throw a club, than mickelson's cheesy grin on my screen!!!!!!biggrin.gifyahoo.gif

Hahahha Phil's grin is so annoying...........

If you want tiger to get rid of emotion then I guess he will have to get rid of the fist pump?

If you want tiger to get rid of emotion then I guess he will have to get rid of the fist pump?

I wouldn't mind no fist pumps, no hat slamming, & no "GET IN THE HOLE". Also, raising your putter like a scepter is a bit OTT for me too, but I'm a crotchety old man.

Of course, what would the Golf Channel do for promotional and B-roll material then?

That is why I am no fan of Eldrick and his baby poor sport conduct.

NEVER see my Lefty do such classless crud.

Rust on Edrick!

Show them class Mickelson!

Yup, show us class Mickelson. Tiger's busy showing us wins.

Why isn't Tiger's strive for perfection the lesson your children learn from him? What's wrong with wanting to be the best you can be at your career? How is this any different than when the father's/mother's of these children blow up at work because of something that took place and then furthermore, come home in a terrible mood and take it out on the kids... other than the fact that they have direct contact with the children?

Make no mistake, Tiger probably enjoys golfing. But on the weekends when he is in competition, that is his job. He takes his job seriously, and that is why he has succeeded. I'll bet you he "enjoy's" playing with 3 buddies at Isleworth more than playing a 72 hole grind in front of thousands.

Tiger didn't volunteer to be the "face of the game." Fans and media chose to elevate him to that position because of his stellar play. Tiger does what he feels necessary to be the best he can be at his profession. If that means he wears emotion on his sleeve, so be it.

What about the tour player Sunday that missed a putt and flipped his putter and then caught it? Is that okay since he didn't send it to the ground?

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

No one can influence anyone like a parent. A parent is the one who should step in and say "he's mad", or something to that effect and then discuss it if need be with the child/junior golfer.

If kids throw clubs, it's more likely to be due to a bad shot or out of frustration than it is because they want to copy a popular golfer.

I'd be very worried on the other hand if the day ever came that Tiger did not smack his bag with his club in disgust. That would mean his passion is gone and he should just hang it up. There are far worse things than this. If he ever pushes a kid, cusses at an old lady, or makes an obscene gesture, that would be bad, but throwing or kicking a club? Really?

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

I dont associate club throwing with "wearing youre emotions on youre sleeve". I associate it with a lack of self control. which is pretty strange, because he exemplifies self control and discipline in every other aspect of the game. did you see his "daily" schedule they showed about him yesterday? the guy basically practices from 6am-6pm.

How about the lip reading of FU on a missed putt yesterday at Bay Hill.

More Eldrick Class indeed. He is such a hot head. Great yes, but not my favorite.

ABT= Anyone But Tiger for the Masters please.

Why did he ditch the competion in Houston this week?

Arnold Palmer said he liked to keep playing right into a major.

Maybe Tiger just wants to go to Augusta like others and practice the famed track?

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

My personal favorite is when he threw his putter against the bag. Tim Rosaforte said last night on Golf Central "It was nice to see the juices flowing and Tiger throwing his putter against his bag. Good to see the motivation back." Or something like that. That's great.

Now we have the Golf Channel complementing Tiger's club tossing. The world of golf media needs a reality check. Stop encouraging people to throw clubs, curse, and cry like babies by condoning and even encouraging Tiger to do it.

I wish he would refrain from fist pumping as well. He is a role model and the implied threat of punching someone is never ok.

Haha. Good stuff.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

No one can influence anyone like a parent. A parent is the one who should step in and say "he's mad", or something to that effect and then discuss it if need be with the child/junior golfer.

If kids throw clubs, it's more likely to be due to a bad shot or out of frustration than it is because they want to copy a popular golfer.

I'd be very worried on the other hand if the day ever came that Tiger did not smack his bag with his club in disgust. That would mean his passion is gone and he should just hang it up. There are far worse things than this. If he ever pushes a kid, cusses at an old lady, or makes an obscene gesture, that would be bad, but throwing or kicking a club? Really?

Ridiculous...I'm amazed at the number of readers here who think that Tiger's outbursts, be they profanity or a club slam, throw, fling etc. are perfectly acceptable. I'm no old timer, but man, that's not the way I was raised. Arnold Palmer's "Ten Rules of Golf Etiquette," (in his own words)

RULE #2 -Keep your temper under control:

"In the final of the Western Pennsylvania Junior when I was 17, I let my putter fly over the gallery after missing a short putt. I won the match, but when I got in the car with my parents for the ride home, there were no congratulations, just dead silence. Eventually my father said, "If I ever see you throw a club again, you will never play in another golf tournament." That wake-up call stayed with me. I haven't thrown a club since.

Throwing clubs, sulking and barking profanity make everyone uneasy. We all have our moments of frustration, but the trick is to vent in an inoffensive way. For example, I often follow a bad hole by hitting the next tee shot a little harder -- for better or worse."

As a player, a fan and a parent, I just think it would be great if Tiger controlled himself on the course a little better. He has the opportunity to set a great example for all of us in that regard. I don't see how anyone can find any harm in that. To suggest that he would somehow be less competitive without the outbursts is ridiculous. There's no reason one can't win and succeed while being a gentleman at the same time. It's called discipline, and oddly enough, it's one of the personal traits in Tiger Wood's life of which he is most prideful.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Stevie should have noticed the grips were worn and put some stick 'em on there (think Judge Smales). It clearly slipped out of his hand. It would have been funny if it did hit Stevie and shin daggered him into the bunker. Must see TV.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

I like it! Throw more clubs! It shows he really cares, he gets sooooo wound up at a bad shot he slams a club into the ground. You can relate to him more watching him do that. Now if he tosses a seven iron into the crowd or down the fairway, that is wrong.

I wonder if you will see a "penalty system?" PGA Tour going NFL style...

Even though he curses, throws clubs, and acts like a jerk on the TV I might have come up with

a partial reason for that. I think it is he plays NIKE clubs, they do not work.

If he stayed with Titleist/Mizuno that he used to play before his 100's of millions contract with

Nike, he would have passed Jack's record by now.

Just do not toss the Scotty Cameron putter with disrespect, those are so hand crafted for you

Eldrick it is a sin.

If he putted with any Nike putter, than he would have half the wins in his career.

I am so tired of his actions, and he can not even tame them for Arnold's Bay Hill his personal

easiest place to win.

He will not win the Master's though, and we should look (not forward to it by me) for more

baby, bad bully actions from #1 in the world and #1 in needing a temper/anger management

class.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

• 1 month later...
because he is a drama queen. it always seems like he over dramatizes everything, from the way he turns away when he gets sand in his eyes from a bunker shot to when he throws clubs. i got my flame suit ready

adam

Lol. This is very true.

I second that. It bugs me when people excuse Tiger for acting like a five year old because he's the best player in the world. When kids and beginners see garbage like that, they think it's acceptable; if I ever saw someone do that in a casual round of golf, I'd be absolutely appalled.

Whats going to happen next? Kids will watch this video Fart video and start farting all over the dang course!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro