Pro V ball or just my imagination?

snake pliskin

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know the answer to your question, I just wanted you to know you aren't alone. I do and will play the Pro V1 (and suffer the lower launch drawbacks) until I can find something better.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

Played today and used the 2 Pro V balls I had and had the same resault, good distance with driver and loved the way they feel off of irons. Dick's has some Pro V 1 x outs for 30.00dollars,might give those a try.

No, don't use the ProV1x, you've found what works for you. The reason you gained distance is that your SS is right in the range for a ProV1. Distance balls are usually 2 piece and rock hard. The reason they call them "distance" balls is that they spin less, so they fly straighter and with less backspin when you whack them hard. Lower swing speeds require more compression, for you the 80s should be good, for me, 100 compression is about right, it's all about what works for you.

By the same token, I need X shafts, 100 compression balls, and lower lofted drivers for my game. What I need, and what you need, and what Tiger needs, are all different things. I've tried lower compression balls, and though I love the feel, they just don't work right for me, they spin too much, sometimes backing right off the front of the green.

The ProV1x is a harder compression ball, which is designed for much faster clubhead speeds. You will likely lose distance, and more important, bite. This is why they make so many golf balls, because everyone is different.

I play the Calloway Hex balls, as they have harder Ionomer covers and still spin enough around the greens.

Could be that your swing speed is not fast enough to compress the core of a hard covered distance ball and the Pro V1 is mch softer than 90% of the balls on the market. You may be able to feel the softer outer layers of the Pro V balls. Just my opinion as I do not know what the correct answer is. My brother swears he plays better with a Pro V1 but it is because he is afraid to lose it and he plays smarter golf than just trying to destroy his drives off the tee and reach every par 5 in two. Though chipping and putting are much more contolled with a premium ball due to the spin and the touch. So much so that he now has a dozen Pro V1's for that very reason.

• 4 weeks later...

i dont think anyone here has the swing speed they say they do and i also think titleist is just a marketing scam to make tons of people play a really expensive ball that dosent fit their game, honestly im so sick of hearing about pro v1s lets talk about something else please man o man...

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

maybe it's all in your head and you hit it better because you think you will.

or pro v's maybe are just that good :)

Titleist 913 D2 9.5 - RIP 60X
Titleist 909F 13* - V2 75S
Titleist 909H 21* - V2 90S
Nike VR Pro Combo 4-pw - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM5 50* 54* 58* - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5 - 34"

i dont think anyone here has the swing speed they say they do and i also think titleist is just a marketing scam to make tons of people play a really expensive ball that dosent fit their game, honestly im so sick of hearing about pro v1s lets talk about something else please man o man...

Well I play the HX series, but I don't feel the need to tell people their ball is crap. And why you don't believe the swing speed numbers listed is questionable, as none of them are unrealistic. Maybe you just suck?

shanks i realize ur a tour pro and everything but since u took my post so personally it only confirms my opinion that guys like u play balls that dont fit ur game why else would u get so snippy. by the way my home course has a slope of 140 and i have a handicap of 8.6 so yeah i must really suck. Im sure your an awesome ball striker but most of us are from the red tee...i won my club championship last year so yes i do suck... :russian_roulette:

for the record i can swing 100+ too but id rather make great contact and swing slow than hack it all over the course swinging like the hulk...

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

no hogan i wasnt talking about the 80 mph speed i just meant people that say they have a tiger like swing speed are fooling them selves and i dont think people test enough balls to find what fits them people love to say i play pro v1 just to say it and that ball is so popular because so many pros are payed to use it and i will never be convinced other wise...

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

80-90 should be fine for pro V you might try the bridgestone 330 RX its the hottest low compression ball on the market and its silly long and soft for slower SS. As for the Cally cynic no one posted a ridiculous SS and i could personally give a rats a** about your home club or your index. The OP was asking about the V1 ball take your titleist haterade somewhere else.

BTW i do have tiger like SS ;)

Cheers

Scott

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

shanks i realize ur a tour pro and everything but since u took my post so personally it only confirms my opinion that guys like u play balls that dont fit ur game why else would u get so snippy. by the way my home course has a slope of 140 and i have a handicap of 8.6 so yeah i must really suck. Im sure your an awesome ball striker but most of us are from the red tee...i won my club championship last year so yes i do suck... :russian_roulette:

for the record i can swing 100+ too but id rather make great contact and swing slow than hack it all over the course swinging like the hulk...

Um... ok, that made no sense. I find it funny how people with really low swing speeds refuse to believe that people can swing the club faster, like they're embarrased to swing slow? I once had a guy tell me, "there's no way you swing 115, maybe 90..." I'm 26 years old, I weigh 260 lbs and stand 6 feet tall, and swing the club about 20 degrees past paralell. Why wouldn't my swing speed be fast?

I really don't care how well you play, but coming in here and firmly declaring that someone is an idiot for liking a ball that nearly everyone else loves is just stupid. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

80 mph is not slow for a 7 iron. If you swing that fast with a 7 iron, then your driver swingspeed should be well over 100 mph. The average amateur we test have 5 and 6 iron swingspeeds in the 80 mph territory, so you're far from slow.

I was kind of wondering that too. 80 mph is fast for a 7 iron, but I assumed he might have actually meant driver. 80 mph is a little under my 7 iron swing speed, and my driver swing speed is about 112.

if you are looking for distance try the new srixon z star. my driver speed is 107mph and i hit the srixon longer and straighter with every club in the bag....

TITLEIST 913D2 9* rip 60s
TITLEIST 906F2 15* Stock Titleist s
TAYLORMADE RESCUE 09 19* rip std
MIZUNO MP H4 4
MIZUNO MP54 5-PW s300
MIZUNO MP-T4 52* 56*
SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT
CALLAWAY SR2