Scotty Cameron Classic Mini

nickpoz

Ask the owner of a grip company somewhere in the US how he feels about Cameron's business practices then let us know.

I had the privilege to spend some time chatting with the owner of that grip company. Very nice guy, and refused to say anything bad about Cameron. He briefly explained what happened with the two companies and simply said "I'll let you form your own opinion on the matter". And I did. I have a stock pile of grips from that company LOL.

Gosh, that owner of that grip company is tremendous, isn't he? When I need new grips, he is who I will deal with and that is it!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you RobotDoctor. I had missed the reference to "hand made" on the one putter in question. The A.B. (Andy Bean, Aaron Baddeley, Alec Baldwin :cheesy: ) is still rather odd, but difficult to determine whether it was done for valuation purposes.

I have been at TCC for over a year. I understand why they manage their site the way they do and accept that premise. IBTPM is actually pretty funny, but I guess zero tolerance was the rule in that case. Thanks again for the insight.

Maybe the IBTPM may be funny but your reference to AB as Alec Baldwin is hillarious. :cheesy:

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

WOW! When I joined GolfWRX, and later The Cameron Club, I had no idea that there was so much contentiousness between the two. Actually, I had read that BombSquad was the tough crowd to stay away from. I joined anyway. However, I have never seen on BombSquad a thread as vicious as this one. I think now that GolfWRX is the new tough guy in town. The Cameron Club always seemed much more calm. However, TCC must have done something really bad to you to create such animosity. Anything specific?

What has been "vicious" in this thread? There are some heated exchanges, but that is to be expected when people are allowed free discussion. If you have read this thread, you also learned a lot that would normally be unavailable at other forums. There are some individuals with animosity towards TCC and their experiences are an important piece of information in this particular thread, but overall there is no hard feelings between the general membership here or there. Lots of us are members at both places.

BombSquad and TCC moderate their forums to prevent any dissent. So of course you won't see any kind of meaningful debate, only general agreement. They are both fine for what they are, but for real discussion, they are not the place to be.

Now that that is cleared up, what do you know about Cameron Minis? :D

Ask the owner of a grip company somewhere in the US how he feels about Cameron's business practices then let us know.

I had the privilege to spend some time chatting with the owner of that grip company. Very nice guy, and refused to say anything bad about Cameron. He briefly explained what happened with the two companies and simply said "I'll let you form your own opinion on the matter". And I did. I have a stock pile of grips from that company LOL.

Gosh, that owner of that grip company is tremendous, isn't he? When I need new grips, he is who I will deal with and that is it!

I'm lucky enough (or unlucky depending on how you look at it LOL) to live less than an hour away from them. The owner of said company installed my exotic grip for me, and even showed me around his shop. Very nice guy.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I'm lucky enough (or unlucky depending on how you look at it LOL) to live less than an hour away from them. The owner of said company installed my exotic grip for me, and even showed me around his shop. Very nice guy.

Lucky duck! I wish I was as lucky .... then again, maybe I am lucky that I don't live an hour away. :)

what is the story with the grip company?

Folks, let's get back on topic here and try and search for a closure to the topic at hand. You can start another thread on the grip company story.

ty

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

What is the name of the grip company? I like doing business with good people.

There are several hints just above: texas, exotic, golf, & grip.

Google is your friend.

Hmmmmm, first hit on the list. :D

Ok, back on topic.

Does a putter have to be shafted and gripped to be considered a putter? If so, I can understand why BB's is not counted. If the head is all that matters then this might be why there are 8 reported by Jim Butler. Maybe at the end of the day it is a matter of definition as to what constitutes a putter and what does not.

I would love to see one of the Mini putters and think these are very collectible, especially why they were produced and that only 8 (again, reportedly) are known to have been produced. In either case, 8 is a very small number for a putter that was produced 15-16 years ago.

WOW! When I joined GolfWRX, and later The Cameron Club, I had no idea that there was so much contentiousness between the two. Actually, I had read that BombSquad was the tough crowd to stay away from. I joined anyway. However, I have never seen on BombSquad a thread as vicious as this one. I think now that GolfWRX is the new tough guy in town. The Cameron Club always seemed much more calm. However, TCC must have done something really bad to you to create such animosity. Anything specific?

This thread has had its moments, I can agree with that. However, there is much that people are not aware of.

I will say that Cameron was most kind to donate his time in refinishing a couple of putters a couple of years ago for a couple of kids that were nominated as "Cameron Kids" and a video was produces. That was a tremendous, and selfless, act of kindness. The following thread made me proud to be a member of TCC and appreciate Cameron.

http://www.cameroncollector.com/forum/inde...,103210.65.html

Then there is the other side. This thread is discussing a specific putter and the refusal of Cameron fans to acknowledge that more putters, of an extremely rare putter, existed. To acknowledge this might reduce the value of the putter and that is not what Cameron or the high roller collectors are willing to do. I have seen friendships discarded by Cameron collectors because of the refusal of acknowledging certain things (try NASA head cover reissue for example). When people find out the truth of the business side of Cameron then their perception changes. This is the side that disturbs me and why I chose the path I took.

There is where the division between Cameron fans and the rest of putter fans. Of course when people question Cameron issues, we are quickly branded Cameron Haters when most of us are not. However, instead of opening a constructive dialog to persuade the rest of the putter fan group to accept the stance from the Cameron camp, mud is slung and generally no substantive facts are offered. This is why there is a division. You will never see this side from TCC. If you think TCC is such a calm place then ask an uncomfortable question. Here are a few to ask:

1) There is a rumor that the NASA head cover was reintroduced after the initial run. Is this true?

2) Is the Rising Sun engraving on the Inspired by Ryuji Imada putter copied from David Mills' sun engraving?

3) Were any putters cast or made out of the United States then imported back in and finished in the US?

Try asking these questions, or some other that is uncomfortable, and see how calm your experience at TCC is. With GolfWRX or PT you can ask these questions on any board, to anyone, at any time.

As my buddy Forrest Gump says, "And that is all I have to say about that."

Dang those mods on TCC jumped his crap quick for asking a question. I can not believe the tone those guys used with him. I would have been banned after the first F-U by a mod from that site. My answer would have been F-U back and then some :clapping: Man what a bunch of *****s..

Ok, back on topic.

Does a putter have to be shafted and gripped to be considered a putter? If so, I can understand why BB's is not counted. If the head is all that matters then this might be why there are 8 reported by Jim Butler. Maybe at the end of the day it is a matter of definition as to what constitutes a putter and what does not.

I would love to see one of the Mini putters and think these are very collectible, especially why they were produced and that only 8 (again, reportedly) are known to have been produced. In either case, 8 is a very small number for a putter that was produced 15-16 years ago.

They don't count BB's because they don't acknowledge that it exists.

Folks, let's get back on topic here and try and search for a closure to the topic at hand. You can start another thread on the grip company story.

ty

Closure??? this thing could go on forever. Now if we could all the parties involved, give them some truth serum or maybe we could get a Delorean and do a little time travel, then we could maybe get some closure. :tongue:

I've really enjoyed this thread, lots of history, I'm kind of a history buff, so mix golf, history and some controversy and I'm hooked. It should be interesting to see if we get any more actuall input to the subject.

Will's thread over at TCC was great, I particularly enjoyed how some of their other members were almost groveling on their knees to VOG and his cronies. I wanted to contribute but can't seem to remember my user name and password.

How can you not acknowledge that it exists. People have to believe the world is flat then. To ignore that BB's Mini does not exist is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. But then again, there is no love loss between the ardent SC camp and BB even though BB created many of the beloved SC putters these hypocrites covet. Just my 2 cents.

How can you not acknowledge that it exists. People have to believe the world is flat then. To ignore that BB's Mini does not exist is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. But then again, there is no love loss between the ardent SC camp and BB even though BB created many of the beloved SC putters these hypocrites covet. Just my 2 cents.

If Scotty told them the world was flat then it would be, no questions asked or your banned for life.

Also there are people still to this day that think the Earth is flat. They call themselves the flat earth society.

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskop...arthsociety.htm

ty

Closure??? this thing could go on forever. Now if we could all the parties involved, give them some truth serum or maybe we could get a Delorean and do a little time travel, then we could maybe get some closure. :tongue:

I've really enjoyed this thread, lots of history, I'm kind of a history buff, so mix golf, history and some controversy and I'm hooked. It should be interesting to see if we get any more actuall input to the subject.

Will's thread over at TCC was great, I particularly enjoyed how some of their other members were almost groveling on their knees to VOG and his cronies. I wanted to contribute but can't seem to remember my user name and password.

I wonder what would happen if I set up a meeting at Vog's bank to meet with him to discuss the Mini. Afterall, I am live about 1.5 hours away from him. :D :D :D

If Scotty told them the world was flat then it would be, no questions asked or your banned for life.

Also there are people still to this day that think the Earth is flat. They call themselves the flat earth society.

Thanks, my IQ dropped at least 10 points reading that site.

I love putters. I hate "collectibles". My Pre-Titleist Cameron putters are some of my favorites and my Cami&Co NPII GSS is in the bag right now. I could give a crap what they are worth on the resale market or what machine shop milled them. I own a machine shop with all the same CNC capabilities at RJB, K-Tech, and whoever else is milling/turning steel in this country. I could make all the putters I want but it doesn't interest me to do so -- there isn't any money in it unless you are flipping 1000+ head batches.

Anyway, the reason I game the CamiCo is because it looks almost identical to a Pat Pend Anser 2 but it's milled from a solid piece of 303 stainless. The feel is better than the old PING. I don't care that it's a $5000 "copy".

Putt with what gets the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. Worry less about internet people and collectible markets. Enjoy your life.

You have a machine shop, so you obviously know a thing or two about metal. What's your take on GSS vs. regular stainless steel? Are there any differences in the composition of the metal?

I know some think they FEEL different, but I'd like to get your thoughts on any scientific differences.

Thanks.

Kevin

I think I did that thread back in '03 on the old Yahoo Cameron board. LOL. I'm sure there are some threads around here or on other sites that will explain it all to you.

Short answer is no difference, all things being equal (shaft, grip, head shape, weight, hardness of metal).

Thanks, my IQ dropped at least 10 points reading that site.

No doubt scary stuff, I can only read a few lines before I have to get out of there.

Is that guy from Conroe, TX?

I guess you have been spending too much time on BSG and TCC and the brainwashing is beginning to take over. Quick....cancel your account and get out while you still can!

I love putters. I hate "collectibles". My Pre-Titleist Cameron putters are some of my favorites and my Cami&Co NPII GSS is in the bag right now. I could give a crap what they are worth on the resale market or what machine shop milled them. I own a machine shop with all the same CNC capabilities at RJB, K-Tech, and whoever else is milling/turning steel in this country. I could make all the putters I want but it doesn't interest me to do so -- there isn't any money in it unless you are flipping 1000+ head batches.

Anyway, the reason I game the CamiCo is because it looks almost identical to a Pat Pend Anser 2 but it's milled from a solid piece of 303 stainless. The feel is better than the old PING. I don't care that it's a $5000 "copy".

Putt with what gets the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. Worry less about internet people and collectible markets. Enjoy your life.

You have a machine shop, so you obviously know a thing or two about metal. What's your take on GSS vs. regular stainless steel? Are there any differences in the composition of the metal?

I know some think they FEEL different, but I'd like to get your thoughts on any scientific differences.

Thanks.

Kevin

I think I did that thread back in '03 on the old Yahoo Cameron board. LOL. I'm sure there are some threads around here or on other sites that will explain it all to you.

Short answer is no difference, all things being equal (shaft, grip, head shape, weight, hardness of metal).

Thanks! I knew the answer, but just wanted to ask another REAL expert the question. You're in the business so your response and expertise is much appreciated.

IMO, it's amazing how spending an extra $3,000 on a putter can affect the feel. :rolleyes:

Kevin

Thanks for the additional information, guys. Having practiced law since 1973, I guess I expect a gentlemanly and respectful dialogue on issues. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. However, I expect it more so when the matter concerns leisurely or recreational pursuits which I enjoy. Life is too short, and there are far too many more important issues in this world than to waste one's time with this kind of nonsense. I am a member of GolfWRX, The Cameron Club, and BombSquad, and I don't intend on quitting any of them. I will just be more careful to avoid threads which are contentious, recognizing that when I find malcontents in any of the sites, those few do not represent the entirety of the particular site.

Thanks.

Kevin

Thanks! I knew the answer, but just wanted to ask another REAL expert the question. You're in the business so your response and expertise is much appreciated.

IMO, it's amazing how spending an extra $3,000 on a putter can affect the feel. :rolleyes:

Kevin

What about DASS? any difference?

Thanks for the additional information, guys. Having practiced law since 1973, I guess I expect a gentlemanly and respectful dialogue on issues. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. However, I expect it more so when the matter concerns leisurely or recreational pursuits which I enjoy. Life is too short, and there are far too many more important issues in this world than to waste one's time with this kind of nonsense. I am a member of GolfWRX, The Cameron Club, and BombSquad, and I don't intend on quitting any of them. I will just be more careful to avoid threads which are contentious, recognizing that when I find malcontents in any of the sites, those few do not represent the entirety of the particular site.

I would suggest that the problem with the Cameron topics is that there are quite a few that have a lot invested in the Cameron world - both time and money. It is no longer a recreational activity for them.

How much does it really matter if there are 8 instead of 5 Mini's? Not much to you and I; it is mostly an entertaining thread along the lines of a soap opera (although I do find the history fascinating). To a hard core collector, it might be a matter of $25,000 versus $40,000. that makes it a very serious topic for some.

Anything related to Cameron is going to be a hot button topic. Even the "malcontents" are generally good guys outside of these threads - and they have been generally well-behaved in this one :D

At least that's my take on things. For what its worth.

Heck, the topic even has you posting more than you have in six months here!

I think the whole story on the SC site about the Mini is B.S. Not one putter that I have seen have a single stamp on it with a child’s name and birthday on it. I doubt his wife stuck the putter under his pillow as well. Just another great story by Scotty and company. If said putters are stamped the way the SC site lists them it would seem to me a very easy thing to prove. Take a picture and post it, the fact that you can't see the bottom of the putter on his website is a big red flag unlike the other putters listed in the archives with pics of the bottom.