New Titleist MB, CB and AP2 Iron PICS!!! Beware

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Titleist Golf' post='1861691' date='Aug 3 2009, 02:24 PM']Based on the feedback we received from Tour, modifications to the AP2 focused on improving feel, shot control, and turf interaction, particularly in the short irons. Most players are unlikely to notice a significantly different look from the address position.[/quote]

Nice cant wait to hit em.

It's not all about looks...c'mon, sure they look great, but will they perform and feel better than your current set of Titleists? I couldn't tell much difference between the feel and performance of the 690CB and 695CB, and expect the 710CB line to feel (but not perform) about the same as the previous iterations. Just saying that it may not be in your best interests to rush out and get the new line, unless you are already in need of replacing your well worn irons. In fact, the biggest difference between the 695CB and the 710CB is the new lower performance grooves on the 710CB line, which the pros will soon have to play to be legal. Titleist had to make the change, even if was detrimental to average players. Expect less back spin on your new Titleist irons, especially out of the rough. Is that a band wagon you want to jump on? Do you really spin the ball as much as you think you do? Think about it.

[quote name='coach_harris1' post='1851060' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:38 PM']These are the same as the 690 series irons. Come on Titleist make something new. Even the AP2's look the same.[/quote]

These MB`s to me are not the same as the 690MB model--these have a much thicker top line which was introduced with 735 models. The top line of the 690MB`s are much thinner.

What would you suggest that Titleist do to make irons that would please you?

[quote name='easyyy' post='1859591' date='Aug 2 2009, 04:23 PM'][size=2]Some answers to a few questions...

700 represents irons (900 for metals), [/size][/quote]

...maybe now [and I`m not looking to argue and don`t mean to disagree!], but the best selling Titlist iron of all time was their DCI '[b]962[/b]' iron and there was also their '[b]981[/b]' and '[b]990[/b]' iron model. What I was told 'at the time' was that the '962' represented the '2nd proto model manufactured/introduced in 1996' and the 990 model was introduced in 1999 etc etc and that the '990' model didn`t sell too well [tough to follow the '962' I would think!] and that`s why Titleist named their next DCI iron the '7[b]62[/b]' to help market it and connect it to their best-selling '962' iron ...but to me it is now all too confusing!!

...as they then introduced their forged irons they used the '600 series'--ie 681, 680, 690, 670, 660, 695 etc. but then also introduced forged irons as 704CB, 804OS, 735CB but also used the '700' series for their cast DCI 762 as well as their already mentioned forged 704CB and 735CB etc [and who could ever forget the DCI 8220S model!]...I know they [704CB and 804OS and the 735CB etc] were forged differently than the 600 series models...and then there`s the forged 775CB and the forged 755! Yikes!

...and so I wish 'Titleist Golf' would explain the meaning to their model/series numbers...as I`m :wacko: about it all!

I am sure this has already been said but I didn't want to run through all the pages of the thread the check.

Anyone else notice an strong similarity between the 710CB/MB and the 690MB/CB. I can see a slight difference between the 690/710CB, but not much in the MB.

I took the new AP2 and 710MB for a test run, couldn't tell much of a difference between the current AP2 line and the 710 AP2, felt virtually the same. I won't be upgrading my current AP2's but maybe those 710MB's can find a home. I suppose I will send my rep the Edible Arrangement that means "I need something... again". :nyam:

Regards,
Eric

[quote name='tesla' post='1867504' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:50 PM']In fact, the biggest difference between the 695CB and the 710CB is the new lower performance grooves on the 710CB line, which the pros will soon have to play to be legal. Titleist had to make the change, even if was detrimental to average players. Expect less back spin on your new Titleist irons, especially out of the rough.[/quote]

This is incorrect. Most prior generation Titleist iron models, including 695CB, have groove profiles that will conform to the new USGA/R&A regulations. Both the 695MB and 695CB were V-groove irons, as are the new MB and CB irons.

[quote name='wntbtw' post='1868106' date='Aug 6 2009, 07:27 AM'][quote name='easyyy' post='1859591' date='Aug 2 2009, 04:23 PM'][size=2]Some answers to a few questions...

...and so I wish 'Titleist Golf' would explain the meaning to their model/series numbers...as I`m :wacko: about it all!
[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head. We felt there was an opportunity to simplify our iron branding, which began two years ago with the original AP irons. The new irons will expand on that branding with the addition of MB and CB irons to the existing AP1 and AP2 models. The 710 series designator is not part of the model name, but is rather used to differentiate this series from prior and future offerings. Hopefully that helps clear things up a bit.

Any pro's playing the MB's or a mixed set of MB's and CB's yet?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Adam Scott replaced his AP2s with a set of MBs this week. I think there are a few other players with MBs and CBs in the bag too.

Titleist TSi3 9 Aldila NV Blue
Titleist TS2 16.5 Project X EvenFlow Blue

Titleist TS2 21 Project X EvenFlow Blue
Titleist U510 4 iron
Mizuno MP 223 5 - PW Oban CT
Vokey SM8 50.8F - 54.10S - 58.8M
Toulon Garage Austin 

[quote name='Titleist Golf' post='1868591' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:26 AM'][quote name='wntbtw' post='1868106' date='Aug 6 2009, 07:27 AM'][quote name='easyyy' post='1859591' date='Aug 2 2009, 04:23 PM'][size=2]Some answers to a few questions...

[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head. We felt there was an opportunity to simplify our iron branding, which began two years ago with the original AP irons. The new irons will expand on that branding with the addition of MB and CB irons to the existing AP1 and AP2 models. The 710 series designator is not part of the model name, but is rather used to differentiate this series from prior and future offerings. Hopefully that helps clear things up a bit.
[/quote]

I don't care what the model # is or what you call em! All I know is I want the CB/MB's in my bag!!! ;)

[quote name='Upandin22' post='1868244' date='Aug 6 2009, 06:39 AM']Those new mb/cb are a huge upgrade from the Z blade series IMHO, I can see a lot of people ordering mixed set with either the CB/MB combo or AP2/CB combo all of the looks blend pretty well together[/quote]

How is it a huge upgrade? Have you hit them? Or are you just refering to the aesthetics?

I definitely like the traditional looks, and if they perform the same or even better, then I'm sold.

I visited my local shop yesterday afternoon and the Titleist Rep came in. He had the cb, mb, and AP2 710s. They all look great, especially the MBs.

Mizuno STZ 220 9.5* Hzrdus Black 65
Callaway Epic 15* Evenflow Black 85 
Titleist 818H1 21* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 80
Titleist 710 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey SM5 54 & 58 Tour Issue S400
Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide
Titleist Pro V1x