2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Review: Musket Ridge Golf Club

ryanpalm

Beautiful course in Myersville, MD
I am a budding golf blogger, and one of my favorite posts are course reviews. Just posted my latest review at http://golfobsessions.blogspot.com/, but enjoyed the course so much I wanted to post it here as well. Be glad to answer any questions if there are any...

--------------------------------

Course: Musket Ridge Golf Club
Yardages: 5,333 ® / 5,884 (w) / 6416 (b) / 6902 (g)

Several weeks back I had the opportunity to play at Musket Ridge Golf Club off of I-70 out in Myersville, Maryland. The course has recently been ranked seventh in the state by Golfweek Magazine in its rankings of public golf courses. I was playing in an outing, so my experience is a little different because of that, but I can certainly say from pulling in the parking lot to putting the clubs back in the trunk, it was a fantastic day. I have nothing but high praise for this course, and want to highlight some of the best aspects of Musket Ridge.

The course was designed by famed architect Joe Lee, who lists Cog Hill, Doral, and Bay Hill on his lengthy resume. Overall, the course has a fairly challenging layout, featuring few flat lies, numerous giant bunkers, and plenty of tall fescue to find as you travel through the beautiful Maryland countryside. The course features many wide fairways, though it is quick to punish a poorly struck shot that misses the fairway by more than a few feet. Though some holes would be considered “tight” from the tee, by and large they are more than fair and oftentimes the short length allows the player to hit a fairway metal or long iron and still face a reasonable approach into the green.

It is hard to pick a signature hole on this course, as given the beautiful terrain it is laid upon, there are several tee shots with breathtaking views. The majority of tee shots require some strategy, as it is certainly not a golf course conducive to automatically pulling driver for every par 4. Once you have found the fairway, golfers are left with reasonable approach shots into fairly large greens. Miss the green, however, and there is a good possibility you will find yourself in one of the course’s many large bunkers. The greens were in great shape, each putt rolling true as can be. The rest of the course was nearly perfect, both tees and fairways in great shape, and the rough was plush with deadpan nowhere to be found (despite the recent lack of rain).

The service in the clubhouse as well as on the course was terrific, a well stocked pro shop and bar provide a nice after-round setting. The course features a full grass practice facility and giant practice green, both of which are complimentary with a greens fee purchase.

Short of being closer to my house (I know...) I think this is an idea golf setting for both the advanced and intermediate level player. I give it the highest of recommendations, and a 4.5 on the Palm scale. With regard to this, and any other course I review, I’d be glad to answer any other questions you might have.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very accurate review. We played Musket Ridge on Sunday and have several times in the past. It was in fantastic shape, it was the first time playing for a couple of the guys and they had to think on many holes how they wanted to play it.

We also are playing there in two weeks in a one day 54 hole tournament. The definition of a good course is you can play it 3 times in one day and not be tired of it.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 6 years later...

Played it last year in a tourney in the midst of a rainstorm. The course drained amazingly well. Very good conditions all around tho a couple bunkers could have used a good raking. A very nice place to play in October, great views with a ton of fall foilage.

We've had a very mild winter this year, so unless you are catching them during their Spring aeration, I'd expect you to have very good conditions. Give them a call to confirm.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Thanks. I would imagine that time of year pretty much everyone is going to have greens punched. Not much you can do to avoid it other than not play. I had seen some reviews online that weren't complimentary on fairway and tee boxes. Never know how accurate those are and I would hate to miss out based on that. It will be my first trip to the course and have wanted to play it for a few years.

Played it last month, and it was in decent but not great condition. Some of the greens were bumpy, and the fairways needed some TLC. I would've been disappointed if we paid full freight, but it was fine for a twilight round.

I think it's the best layout and course around Frederick when it's in top shape over Whiskey Creek and Gettysburg. Give it a go if it's not asking for spring/summer rates. Look around if it is, or hopefully someone has played it a little more recently to see if they've given it a little work to start the season.

Played it last month, and it was in decent but not great condition. Some of the greens were bumpy, and the fairways needed some TLC. I would've been disappointed if we paid full freight, but it was fine for a twilight round.

I think it's the best layout and course around Frederick when it's in top shape over Whiskey Creek and Gettysburg. Give it a go if it's not asking for spring/summer rates. Look around if it is, or hopefully someone has played it a little more recently to see if they've given it a little work to start the season.

Thanks for the reply. At the senior rate I will gladly give it a try. Haven't had a a chance to play much this Winter so bumpy greens won't deter me. It has been on my list of places to play for a while and I will be within 25 minutes for another event. Hopefully the weather will co-operate.

I love Musket Ridge. Great layout and conditions are usually excellent too. Haven't played there yet this year as it's still early. Musket Ridge and Worthington Manor are my two favorites in the Frederick area. Also honorable mention to Clustered Spires.

Hopefully the weather will be decent while I'm there. Wish I had time for a few rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the relative lack of rain and heat the greens in most courses in this area have not yet fully recovered from spring aeration. Depending on when you're here that may change. Enjoy Musket Ridge - its a good one.

Thanks. I plan to be in the area from 4/26 to the end of the month and hope to get in in at least one round. Looks like a little rain is coming through the region. Our courses here are just opening for the season and punching greens so it's not like I'll be used to perfect surfaces.

Funny to see an old thread pop up right after I played Musket Ridge. Used to live in the area and passed through last week with some extra time on my hands and played it for the first time in 5+ years. It was in good shape, not great, but that's entirely on the weather they've had this spring. They aerated about a week and a half ago, so it was pretty bumpy when I played, but I bet they'll be fully healed by the time you get there. It's my favorite course in that area. I was living there when it first opened and Joe Lee really couldn't say enough good things about the parcel of land he had to work with there--basically said it was his favorite and best course he'd ever done. Great layout.

Funny to see an old thread pop up right after I played Musket Ridge. Used to live in the area and passed through last week with some extra time on my hands and played it for the first time in 5+ years. It was in good shape, not great, but that's entirely on the weather they've had this spring. They aerated about a week and a half ago, so it was pretty bumpy when I played, but I bet they'll be fully healed by the time you get there. It's my favorite course in that area. I was living there when it first opened and Joe Lee really couldn't say enough good things about the parcel of land he had to work with there--basically said it was his favorite and best course he'd ever done. Great layout.

The photos on the website were what got my interest up. Living in the mountains and seeing this course appears to have mountain views and elevation change was intriguing. Looking forward to giving it a go and hoping the weather doesn't get too wet.

This thread takes me back...used to live outside DC and we'd routinely travel up to Musket Ridge, Worthington Manor or Whiskey Creek...MD National a few times. DIdn't care much for P.B. Dye though.

Musket Ridge was one of my favorites. Maybe it just suited my eye, but I always seemed to play pretty well there, which always helps!

Enjoy your round out there, hope it treats you well.

This thread takes me back...used to live outside DC and we'd routinely travel up to Musket Ridge, Worthington Manor or Whiskey Creek...MD National a few times. DIdn't care much for P.B. Dye though.

Musket Ridge was one of my favorites. Maybe it just suited my eye, but I always seemed to play pretty well there, which always helps!

Thanks. I just hope the weather in MD is a bit more dry than we've been in the Western NC mountains. If not, I may need to bring a Zodiac raft to navigate the links.

Enjoy your round out there, hope it treats you well.

I played most of Musket Ridge today. Had to stop after 14 due to back issues. I got there around 10:30am without a tee time to a pretty packed parking lot and was pleasantly surprised that they could get me out in about 30 minutes. Very friendly at the counter and $35.90 for 18 with my wife riding was a very reasonable fee. I assume that is a senior rate. Tee boxes and fairways were in excellent condition. I was expecting it to be wet, but, was getting some roll on drives and it was 90* with the exception of a couple holes.

The greens show some minor signs of healing from aerifying and some poa annua is sneaking in. They putt much better than they look, just a little slow. Number 11 green has some poor spots in it, but, I dropped a couple balls to putt over that are and found it a little bumpy. Other than that I found the greens to better than anticipated and made a few birdies. Three and four footers needed to be struck a little firmer than I'm used to.

Number ten green complex is being worked on to the left of the surface. Newly shaped sand area with sod down to the edges and very attractive sculpting. It should be really pleasing to the eye when finuished unless you're inside looking out.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Sorry though your back cut the round short! Not too surprising about the greens. It's been really wet in the mid-Atlantic lately, and with them having recently aerated I'm sure they're still leaving them a little long. I can tell you from having played there regularly back when I lived there that they get plenty fast in the summer.

I think the speed issue is from all the rain. The greens had been cut and did not have excessive length. It was very foggy and damp this morning with only a slight breeze. After the turn the sun burned through and some wind kicked up. By the twelfth hole you could see a difference in the speed. A couple more days of sunshine and they should be in very good condition. They definitely perform much better than they look. If I come back to the area I would definitely play it again. The layout is good and the views impressive.