Sky Caddie membership???

Friend and I was talking today and he has a skycaddie as do I. The question he posed to me was if the SkyCaddie would still work if he were to let his membership run out.

I told him I would think it might but only with the courses that you have loaded on it. He seemed to think so also.

So my question is would it still work without a membership? He only play 5-8 different courses a year and he could keep them loaded on there.

I play more than that so I will be renewing mine.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hmm_121' post='1909904' date='Aug 23 2009, 07:15 PM']My understanding is that without a paid/active membership that any of the downloaded courses from Sky Golf will be deactiviated. Of course any self mapped courses could still be used without a membership but from the sound of your description thats not what your considering.[/quote]
Correct!!!

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5'

3 Wood: TaylorMade BRNR 13.5'

5 & 7 Woods: Mizuno ST-X 18' & 21'
Irons (5-PW): Titlleist T200/T100S/T100
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10M & SM9 54-12D
PutterToulon Garage Chicago H1

[quote name='hmm_121' post='1909904' date='Aug 23 2009, 09:15 PM']My understanding is that without a paid/active membership that any of the downloaded courses from Sky Golf will be deactiviated. Of course any self mapped courses could still be used without a membership but from the sound of your description thats not what your considering.[/quote]

Now that you say that I believe that is correct. I will let him know that he will have to renew to be able to use it. He isnt much into mapping the course so I know he will want to renew now.

Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

When you register your unit, the internal clock is read and a date one year from then is written as your expiration date for the unit. Each and every time you turn on the SC, it gets the current date and time from the satellites it tracks. Once the current date exceeds the expiration date, your skycaddie will no longer function.

[quote name='rtkguy' post='1948501' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:40 PM']When you register your unit, the internal clock is read and a date one year from then is written as your expiration date for the unit. Each and every time you turn on the SC, it gets the current date and time from the satellites it tracks. Once the current date exceeds the expiration date, your skycaddie will no longer function.[/quote]

I had a SG-5, de-activated it and sold it. Bought a 2.5 three months later and activated it with my still active membership which is good for one year. So, that kind of casts doubt on the idea of the "internal clock" theory. I think when your active membership expires it disables whatever device is linked to it.

Ben

[quote name='Bizcut1' post='1955989' date='Sep 17 2009, 03:44 AM']I think when your active membership expires it disables whatever device is linked to it.

Ben[/quote]

That's how it works.

It's one of the reasons I sold my Skycaddie. You only "rent" the data.

With [s]all[/s] most of the competition offering free or one pay membership plans, why would anyone even consider a skycaddie these days?

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' post='1956076' date='Sep 17 2009, 04:03 AM']With [s]all[/s] most of the competition offering free or one pay membership plans, why would anyone even consider a skycaddie these days?[/quote]
Why??? Because the SkyCaddie SG5 has the best interface and most useful features. Because SkyGolf actually walks the courses to instead of relying on satellite pictures. The subscription fee pays for this and is is pretty inconsequential anyway.

I tried all the devices and the SkyCaddie SG5 was the best as far as I am concerned.

S-

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='w7n23j' post='1978234' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:18 PM']Hi everyone, my membership does not expire not until the end of December but I am already starting to receive reminders on my SG5 that it is about to expire and to renew it.[/quote]

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago -- my SG4 membership also expires in mid-December, but I got a renewal notification in mid-September. Seemed kind of early, so I just laughed it off and I haven't seen it again since then. I wonder why it's asking for my renewal so much earlier this year than in the past few years?

[quote name='jahopki' post='1978283' date='Sep 29 2009, 01:49 PM'][quote name='w7n23j' post='1978234' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:18 PM']Hi everyone, my membership does not expire not until the end of December but I am already starting to receive reminders on my SG5 that it is about to expire and to renew it.[/quote]

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago -- my SG4 membership also expires in mid-December, but I got a renewal notification in mid-September. Seemed kind of early, so I just laughed it off and I haven't seen it again since then. I wonder why it's asking for my renewal so much earlier this year than in the past few years?
[/quote]

The same reason you will see a 2 year offer for a lower price than the one year offer x2 on virtually anything: the cash in their pocket sooner is always worth more. Given the economy, they are probably figuring a certain percentage will renew right away rather than get the reminders, and voila, there's a nice little find of cash.

sky caddie offers the best information IMO. I've seen the others and the intelligreen feature is by far superior to the other offerings. You can move your cross-hair around to where the flag is at (based on sight) to narrow down the yardage you're looking for. As far as I know ... the only product on the market that you can do that with.

Also, the points mapped out are physically walked (as mentioned above). All others use GPS/satellite estimation.

[quote name='Bluefan75' post='1978485' date='Sep 29 2009, 02:34 PM'][quote name='jahopki' post='1978283' date='Sep 29 2009, 01:49 PM']
I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago -- my SG4 membership also expires in mid-December, but I got a renewal notification in mid-September. Seemed kind of early, so I just laughed it off and I haven't seen it again since then. I wonder why it's asking for my renewal so much earlier this year than in the past few years?[/quote]

The same reason you will see a 2 year offer for a lower price than the one year offer x2 on virtually anything: the cash in their pocket sooner is always worth more. Given the economy, they are probably figuring a certain percentage will renew right away rather than get the reminders, and voila, there's a nice little find of cash.
[/quote]

+1 -- great point!

[quote name='golf_fanatik' post='1978710' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:53 PM']1 foot doesn't but 3-5 yards (skycaddie accuracy) do make a difference for me.[/quote]

Things that make ya go hmmmmm...

If the (unproven) 3-5 yard inaccuracy of Skycaddie to other GPS brands makes a difference then.....

Does the (proven) 3-5 yard accuracy between a Skycaddie and a laser make a difference? :beruo:

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' post='1978739' date='Sep 29 2009, 06:05 PM'][quote name='golf_fanatik' post='1978710' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:53 PM']1 foot doesn't but 3-5 yards (skycaddie accuracy) do make a difference for me.[/quote]

If the (unproven) 3-5 yard inaccuracy of Skycaddie to other GPS brands makes a difference then.....

Does the (proven) 3-5 yard accuracy between a Skycaddie and a laser make a difference? :beruo:
[/quote]

Great point that you make hateto3putt about the laser v Skycaddie accuracy. If 3-5 yards is important then laser is probably the best choice from what I've read.

I have to tell you that from my experience there is no clear advantage gained by Skycaddies "walking the course" mapping method that is used to justify the $60 annual fee. They are no more accurate than those companies that use high quality aerial imagery and solid mapping techniques. Case and point- A couple of my golf partners have the sg2.5 and sg5 and they are a solid product. However after comparing data between the skycaddie to my golf guru and course markers at 5 different courses I'd say it's a draw... both had a problem on 1 hole in 90 holes. My golf guru was probably off by more than 5 yards as compared to a particular 150 marker on one hole. However the skycaddie was missing a critical hazard (a creek) 270 yards from the teebox that ran across the entire fairway. So through 90 different holes I'd call it a draw.

Now skycaddie fans, don't flame me, SG is a great product! It's just that you don't need to walk a course to get accurate mapping and there are other products out there that are every bit as accurate that have a lower cost of ownership.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' post='1978739' date='Sep 29 2009, 03:05 PM'][quote name='golf_fanatik' post='1978710' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:53 PM']1 foot doesn't but 3-5 yards (skycaddie accuracy) do make a difference for me.[/quote]

[/quote]

He asked about 1 ft vs. pacing off from markers.. bottom line is that I can't hit it to 1 ft. accuracy but 5 yards is more realistic.. and by the way I do use a laser

[quote name='cwglum' post='1979654' date='Sep 30 2009, 07:51 AM']I have to tell you that from my experience there is no clear advantage gained by Skycaddies "walking the course" mapping method that is used to justify the $60 annual fee.

It's not $60/yr for the sky caddie as mentioned above ... my in-state annual fee is $35.[/quote]

If you're satisfied with being restricted to one state then you are right, it is $35/year. But for a "apples to apples" comparison no other GPS has a restrictive tiered membership plan like skygolf. For those of us that want to use our golf gps wherever we want, in any state or out of country we can for no additional fee, while Skycaddie charges you $60 per year for that privilege.

I heard the other day on XM radio the OnPar guys saying they use high-definition maps of one pixel = 1 feet.

I'm not sure if that is good enough but I have personally never noticed a difference between the sky caddies and other units that use maps.

The difference for me with the skycaddie was that for the most part, they would include hazards or points that are important if you are walking.. ie. big rock, tree, ditch, creek, mound, etc.. that you wouldn't pay too much attention if you were looking at a map.

I prefer Skycaddies over any other GPS despite the yearly fee, due to their hardware and software being the apparent best on market, their customer service is 1st class and they are constantly updating and checking their course info. My course has been re-mapped 3 times in the last two years by them, free of charge (Guess thats where our membership fees go) and active for download within a week. Rival companies don't physically measure our course, they use aerial photos or other gps methods for their systems and on our tiny course this proves rather inaccurate. One company that did measure our course Golfbuddy only did half of it as they admitted their system wouldn't be able to differentiate between some of our greens.

I've never liked lasers, because they are completely useless if you can't see where you are going, can't see the green or a hazard for example. Also in all my experiences when trying to use one I could never hold it steady enough to get a fixed reading and certainly couldn't hit the flagstick with any accuracy from more then 60 yards or so.

[quote name='sidewinder' post='1956617' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:15 PM'][quote name='Hateto3Putt' post='1956076' date='Sep 17 2009, 04:03 AM']With [s]all[/s] most of the competition offering free or one pay membership plans, why would anyone even consider a skycaddie these days?[/quote]
Why??? Because the SkyCaddie SG5 has the best interface and most useful features. Because SkyGolf actually walks the courses to instead of relying on satellite pictures. The subscription fee pays for this and is is pretty inconsequential anyway.

I tried all the devices and the SkyCaddie SG5 was the best as far as I am concerned.

S-
[/quote]

+1, I've tried many and always come back to SkyCaddie. The others pale in comparison IMO. The day I can't afford $30 for a years subscription is the day I can't afford to play golf at all.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

In using GPS as a yardage marker, there is a +/- 3-5 yds. error zone. Considering that two locations are either "mapped" or "walked", that doubles the zone (one for the point that you are measuring from and another for where you are measuring to). Unless the points that are "walked" by skycaddie are not transmitted to a satellite at the time of measurement, I'm not understanding how they are more accurate. Can anyone explain?