2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Tilting correctly and handpath

iteachgolf

[quote name='gmbtempe' date='14 July 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1279139493' post='2576038']
Dan, I was trying to make it easier to understand for someone without the verbiage in my reply, my basic reply was to say I don't do what Aaron Baddley did in that staged golf digest photo.

Yes, stand up from your stance, tilt left towards the target, turn your shoulder down to the left. This produces a shoulder turn on plane and in a circle..........but to me it does not yield that goofy photo "titling left" in the golf digest photo that is most commonly used in SnT discussions.

I think I understand it, a little bit.
[/quote]

This photo?

[attachment=629522:Picture 1.jpg]

This looks better...

[attachment=629523:Picture 3.jpg]

And then this move...

[attachment=629524:Picture 2.jpg]

All accounts I've read and heard is the top photo was an exageration. Also, Badds left knee has translated back somewhat versus the bottom photo (Mike Bennett?), whose knee has only bent downward over his toes. This will also tend to encourage some excess leftward lean, like a Sergio Garcia.

GarciaReleasePattern.jpg

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Ping iCrossover 3 Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

[quote name='petter7' date='20 July 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1279658002' post='2588725']
[quote name='gmbtempe' date='14 July 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1279139493' post='2576038']
Dan, I was trying to make it easier to understand for someone without the verbiage in my reply, my basic reply was to say I don't do what Aaron Baddley did in that staged golf digest photo.

Yes, stand up from your stance, tilt left towards the target, turn your shoulder down to the left. This produces a shoulder turn on plane and in a circle..........but to me it does not yield that goofy photo "titling left" in the golf digest photo that is most commonly used in SnT discussions.

[/quote]

This photo?

This looks better...

And then this move...

[/quote]
I would say all those are exaggerated and the upper center is too far forward in all those swings. Would be ok with a short iron but AOA will be too steep and divots too deep for my liking.

Sergio swing is taken from a very poor camera angle

iteach,

Could you be so kind as to critique my swing in these two videos here?

I'm doing nice slow and smooth punch shots to get the feel for it. I was a pretty decent player last year, but in a futile attempt to get rid of my hook, I screwed my swing all up so I'm starting from scratch again so to speak.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVwbhYr3jU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8x5_DaD1JE[/media]

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

Struggled a little bit with the inside hand path and tilt the left shoulder down. Trying to keep the left arms tight to the chest yet turn the club to an on plane position, left shoulder down......well my body seems to be screaming dont do this because it feels like I should be stopping at P3 or else it feels strained and unbalanced. Contact is still super solid but my push draw is going very low and I am losing some distance with the longer clubs, and I have introduced a shank into the bucket with about 10 percent of the shots.

[quote name='petter7' date='20 July 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1279658002' post='2588725']

[/quote]

This photo?

This looks better...

And then this move...

[/quote]

Yea, that AB photo was the worst thing that has happened to SnT.

[quote name='shortstop20' date='20 July 2010 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1279674938' post='2589230']
iteach,

I'm doing nice slow and smooth punch shots to get the feel for it. I was a pretty decent player last year, but in a futile attempt to get rid of my hook, I screwed my swing all up so I'm starting from scratch again so to speak.

[/quote]

Not iteach but the footwork and knee action looks off, which makes it look like the left shoulder moving down is all that is happening in the swing, and it also limits the hips tilting on a circle.

Anyways I am no pro and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

[quote name='shortstop20' date='20 July 2010 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1279674938' post='2589230']
iteach,

[/quote]
Allow the hips to turn by letting the knees change flex. Also make sure the right arm stays the same distance from your ribcage the entire backswing, yours gets a little closer and arms are a touch too low. Would also like to see the shaft a little steeper in the backswing. First get the hips turning so shoulders can turn 90º give or take and then worry about the arms.

[quote name='gmbtempe' date='20 July 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1279680718' post='2589427']
Struggled a little bit with the inside hand path and tilt the left shoulder down. Trying to keep the left arms tight to the chest yet turn the club to an on plane position, left shoulder down......well my body seems to be screaming dont do this because it feels like I should be stopping at P3 or else it feels strained and unbalanced. Contact is still super solid but my push draw is going very low and I am losing some distance with the longer clubs, and I have introduced a shank into the bucket with about 10 percent of the shots.
[/quote]
Might feel like you stop at P3. The deeper the arms go the shorter the arm swing will be.

After a particularly poor round of golf I came across this thread. I was amazed how much I looked like your "before" pics and videos. I spent the night working on getting my hand path more "in" and not rolling my left forearm early as I had been doing. I took it to the course yesterday and was blown away with the results. My golfing buddies all commented no how different my new swing looked. And best of all, my swing held up for the whole round. I haven't had that much fun in years.

I can't thank you enough for your contributions to this site. If I ever get in your area, I will look you up. You are a great teacher.

[quote name='shortstop20' timestamp='1279674938' post='2589230']
iteach,

[/quote]

[b][size=4][i]AMAZING SYNCHRONISED GOLF TECHNIQUES TAKE OLYMPICS BY STORM[/i][/size][/b] ;)

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1253594762' post='1965004']
[quote name='rteach1' post='1964763' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:28 PM']Iteach,

Could you please explain what you told your students to do differently with their hands in order to produce the changes that you have shown? I see the differences but I'm missing the "how" of it.

Thank you very much.

rteach1 (similar name, but very different golf results)[/quote]
Hands move around the body in a circle. To keep the arms on the ribcage and moving in a circle the space between the right elbow and the body should remain constant. This eliminates the lift and in conjunction with a steeper shoulder turn keeps the arms in and low. This increases potential for distance as well as making it easier to hit the ball from the inside.
[/quote]

[quote name='moradman' timestamp='1252874699' post='1948438']
RGMmiller.... this may answer some of your questions... notice elbow locations and the changing of the tilts.

Nice work iteach. make sure she keeps that ball in her central vision to avoid possibly becoming underplane and too much cf.
[/quote]
Could someone explain how the central vision will could lead to being under plane?

[quote name='RLLANDRUM' timestamp='1280099280' post='2598482']
RGMmiller.... this may answer some of your questions... notice elbow locations and the changing of the tilts.

Nice work iteach. make sure she keeps that ball in her central vision to avoid possibly becoming underplane and too much cf.
[/quote]
Could someone explain how the central vision will could lead to being under plane?
[/quote]
Keeping the ball in central vision will prevent being under plane. If the ball leaves your central vision your body will react as a result and can cause early extension and underplane issues if bad enough.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1280101612' post='2598588']
[quote name='RLLANDRUM' timestamp='1280099280' post='2598482']

[/quote]
[/quote]
Keeping the ball in central vision will prevent being under plane. If the ball leaves your central vision your body will react as a result and can cause early extension and underplane issues if bad enough.
[/quote]

I think the test for this in the book was close your left eye and see if you lose track of the ball in the backswing?

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1279683290' post='2589519']
[quote name='gmbtempe' date='20 July 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1279680718' post='2589427']
[/quote]
Might feel like you stop at P3. The deeper the arms go the shorter the arm swing will be.
[/quote]
Why will the arm swing be shorter?

[quote name='RLLANDRUM' timestamp='1280110460' post='2598881']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1279683290' post='2589519']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Why will the arm swing be shorter?
[/quote]
Because the deeper you go the more you will turn. Also the deeper the arms go the less lifting there will be so the swing will appear shorter and will generally feel much shorter.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1280114947' post='2599083']
[quote name='hammerheel' timestamp='1280114466' post='2599066']
Should the shoulder tilt down be different from a PW to a driver? If so, how much?
[/quote]
Shoulders turn perpendicular to spine at setup. So more bent over the steeper the shoulders turn (tilt more left)
[/quote] So should setup be different for longer clubs vs shorter clubs?

[quote name='hammerheel' timestamp='1280115106' post='2599088']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1280114947' post='2599083']
[quote name='hammerheel' timestamp='1280114466' post='2599066']
Should the shoulder tilt down be different from a PW to a driver? If so, how much?
[/quote]
Shoulders turn perpendicular to spine at setup. So more bent over the steeper the shoulders turn (tilt more left)
[/quote] So should setup be different for longer clubs vs shorter clubs?
[/quote]
Shorter club = more bent over

[quote name='gmbtempe' timestamp='1280178715' post='2600431']
More of a TGM question for you Dan,
If you take the club back inside will it still be on plane or will it be inside the plane, as you rotate the wedges to the top of your swing will it still be on plane? Should it be?
[/quote]
In the backswing I would like to see it on plane or sweetspot slightly above plane.

Update: Today I had one of the best range sessions of my life. For the first time, I was compressing the ball. I wasn't 100% consistent with it, but after further review on video my head would move back with my shoulders and my backswing was a bit long. Once I get those problems fixed I should be a tour pro... right? good.gif

Dan,

I am probably killing you with my questions but........I think you have the best knowledge on the subject.

If the hand path is the deepest, what is the result to the back swing, the flattest? a la Hogan?

How do you know if your hands are getting to deep?

If you have a deep hands move but you using a Flat shoulder turn (per the book) what would that do in comparison to a Rotated shoulder turn?