2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Tilting correctly and handpath

iteachgolf

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1432829246' post='11643526']
Dan,an added benefit to correct shoulder tilting in downswing that I have noticed is that the left hip moves laterally and is out ahead of everything without even thinking about it.
[/quote]
Body counterbalances itself pretty well. So as shoulders tilt hips move forward to prevent falling to your right.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1432818295' post='11642250']They don't move towards the body. They do move in. The right shoulder is working in/away from the target line immediately as you start turning. If the hands simply move with the pivot as it turns away from the target line they will move in. If hands go straight back in the takeaway they are working OUT relative to the body[/quote][quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1432819946' post='11642406']Some do it thinking they are creating width or keeping the arms in front. When in fact to keep arms in sync and "in front" they must work in during the backswing[/quote]

Just started my first video lesson with DC & this is our first lesson correction.

[quote name='w8liftr' timestamp='1432831156' post='11643752'][quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1432818295' post='11642250']They don't move towards the body. They do move in. The right shoulder is working in/away from the target line immediately as you start turning. If the hands simply move with the pivot as it turns away from the target line they will move in. If hands go straight back in the takeaway they are working OUT relative to the body[/quote][quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1432819946' post='11642406']Some do it thinking they are creating width or keeping the arms in front. When in fact to keep arms in sync and "in front" they must work in during the backswing[/quote]

Just started my first video lesson with DC & this is our first lesson correction.[/quote]Enjoy your surgeries

[quote name='tinman143' timestamp='1432806006' post='11641534']From adress, hands start back toward rear foot[/quote]

I like that visual.

I had a lesson earlier this year where the pro was fixing my way outside take away. Felt way way inside, but results spoke for themselves. Been struggling a bit recently to identify the feel of what I needed to achieve what I was doing back then when I first fixed it. Was taking hands straight back, which was improved but still inconsistent. This thread, and the hands toward right foot, are a good reminder of what I need to be working toward.

So I read through this entire thread and thought I should get some feedback. I have been trying to get a consistent straight/draw type swing. I am generally a bad slicer and used to take the club up higher on the shoulders.

From tonight-
[media=]http://youtu.be/SFE3nzWKzG4[/media]

I just cant seem to keep my lead leg straight most of the time.

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1432994213' post='11655566']
Ryan,you have a very flat shoulder turn going back and then in transition you get quite steep by throwing your right shoulder forward toward the ball.I won't prescribe anything.Hopefully Dan will chime in and give you some direction.
[/quote]

Thanks Grayback1973,
I tried to get a little more vertical here and keep my front leg from shifting as much today. I was trying get away from vertical since I was taking massive divots earlier in the year.
[url="http://youtu.be/WSU7qa3v-3I"]http://youtu.be/WSU7qa3v-3I[/url]

[quote name='Ryan5508' timestamp='1433014731' post='11656880']
Ryan,you have a very flat shoulder turn going back and then in transition you get quite steep by throwing your right shoulder forward toward the ball.I won't prescribe anything.Hopefully Dan will chime in and give you some direction.
[/quote]

Thanks Grayback1973,
I tried to get a little more vertical here and keep my front leg from shifting as much today. I was trying get away from vertical since I was taking massive divots earlier in the year.
[url="http://youtu.be/WSU7qa3v-3I"]http://youtu.be/WSU7qa3v-3I[/url]
[/quote]

Ryan,

Why are you trying to keep your lead leg straight? It needs to flex and your back leg should lose SOME flex.

In the newer swing the shoulders and arms look good to me on the backswing, but it appears you get up on your toes at the top.

Also looks like your hips are restricted going back. You want a free hip turn on the backswing with your weight moving to your rear heel.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UW9ZCeA19vs

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

[quote name='copperjeff' timestamp='1433015451' post='11656906']
[/quote]

Thanks Grayback1973,
[/quote]

Ryan,

Why are you trying to keep your lead leg straight? It needs to flex and your back leg should lose SOME flex.

In the newer swing the shoulders and arms look good to me on the backswing, but it appears you get up on your toes at the top.

Also looks like your hips are restricted going back. You want a free hip turn on the backswing with your weight moving to your rear heel.

[media=]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UW9ZCeA19vs[/media]
[/quote]

I started using the zep sensor this past winter and it suggested that too many amateurs over rotate the hips/legs. My leg tends to bend in towards the right side on the back swing and its not something I see in better golfers. Especially in the slow motion videos in the zepp app. They flex the lead leg on the back swing where I tend to over bend mine. Add that to my habit to over swing and bend the leg i can hit behind the ball and take monster divots. once that starts my round goes downhill.

[quote name='Ryan5508' timestamp='1433016320' post='11656950']
[quote name='copperjeff' timestamp='1433015451' post='11656906']
[/quote]

Thanks Grayback1973,
[/quote]

Ryan,

[media=]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UW9ZCeA19vs[/media]
[/quote]

I started using the zep sensor this past winter and it suggested that too many amateurs over rotate the hips/legs. My leg tends to bend in towards the right side on the back swing and its not something I see in better golfers. Especially in the slow motion videos in the zepp app. They flex the lead leg on the back swing where I tend to over bend mine. Add that to my habit to over swing and bend the leg i can hit behind the ball and take monster divots. once that starts my round goes downhill.
[/quote]

While some people do over rotate their hips in the backswing, that is usually because they have rotated much to flat. If you watch the video I had linked to it should explain things.

It appears to me that you may end up over rotating your shoulders and tilt towards the target in your backswing but hard to tell without face on video. Tilting targetward can definitely contribute to steep downswing and monster divots. But again, shoulders and arms looked pretty good in the newest video to me, but I am not an expert on that.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

Ryan,

Thank you for sharing.

As per usual, your forward swing issues arise from what's happening in your takeaway/backswing.

Look at your trail foot at top of backswing; you are on your toes, as opposed to having the heel planted and being torqued into ground. This is an essential point that needs to be addressed, and should help you start turning properly going back.

Since you are not turning back properly, you have nowhere to go in the forward swing. Look at your impact and address positions. They are almost identical, save for fact you are still on the trail side toes.

Good luck

[quote name='Ryan5508' timestamp='1433023547' post='11657424']
I will definitely try and work on that. Its something I can't say I even notice myself doing. I generally stand with the back foot slightly flared out (my normal standing foot position even when not golfing) would it help to point it more forward or no?
[/quote]

No doubt you can find a lot of resources to help you address your trail foot/backswing issue. Here's just one to consider; will give you an idea of what you are after.

http://youtu.be/dAXNglCDcz4

[quote name='FatReed' timestamp='1433019224' post='11657118']
Ryan,

Thank you for sharing.

As per usual, your forward swing issues arise from what's happening in your takeaway/backswing.

Look at your trail foot at top of backswing; you are on your toes, as opposed to having the heel planted and being torqued into ground. This is an essential point that needs to be addressed, and should help you start turning properly going back.

Since you are not turning back properly, you have nowhere to go in the forward swing. Look at your impact and address positions. They are almost identical, save for fact you are still on the trail side toes.

Good luck
[/quote]

Agree with Fat.
lowering the left shoulder in BS, causes spine to tilt/bend and right hip to slide.

A proper turn is of the torso. You can tell if correct when right hip is closer to the target at top of BS, than at address. If right hip is stuck behind the right heel, you will be stuck and it will be, 'fat city'.. no offence, Fat.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnSInYR1lc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnSInYR1lc[/url]

What I find is I tend to sway back to much if I try and turn more. My head travels back 6-8 inches from the address position. Other issue if when I open my hips more on the down swing I horribly top the hell out of the ball and just make bad contact in general.

I wish I had better instructors in my area that I would be able to see.

[quote name='Ryan5508' timestamp='1433128523' post='11664032']
What I find is I tend to sway back to much if I try and turn more. My head travels back 6-8 inches from the address position. Other issue if when I open my hips more on the down swing I horribly top the hell out of the ball and just make bad contact in general.

[/quote]

At address, set up with your spine (straight)pointing behind your left heel.
..fart behind your left heel(Hogan Manual of Human Performance Golf)

That will set your axis of rotation and now your right hip will rotate toward the target, WHEN you turn your torso(sternum)

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1433160706' post='11664982']

[/quote]

..[i][b]fart [/b][/i]behind your left heel(Hogan Manual of Human Performance Golf)

That will set your axis of rotation and now your right hip will rotate toward the target, WHEN you turn your torso(sternum)
[/quote]

Fart? What kind of manual is this?

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1433173455' post='11666504']

[/quote]

..[i][b]fart [/b][/i]behind your left heel(Hogan Manual of Human Performance Golf)

[/quote]

[/quote]

external focus!
you would have liked the original version. LOL. the publisher made the change to fart.

Have you ever heard a bit of golf instruction that gets the message across in one word, that one will never forget?
I call that brilliant.

[quote name='lefty57' timestamp='1433330598' post='11680392']
[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1433330371' post='11680374']
[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1433173455' post='11666504']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

external focus!
you would have liked the original version. LOL. the publisher made the change to fart.

Have you ever heard a bit of golf instruction that gets the message across in one word, that one will never forget?
I call that brilliant.
[/quote]

Appears to me that a lots of folks already forgot as the book is out of print due to lack of demand ...
[/quote]

Appears to you?

It was a best seller in 1990's, but in dispute with publisher, the author stopped publication.

[quote name='lefty57' timestamp='1433337562' post='11680884']
[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1433336768' post='11680826']
Appears to you?

It was a best seller in 1990's, but in dispute with publisher, the author stopped publication.
[/quote]

BS - if it was a best seller, why not pick up another publisher ? More thread pollution ....
[/quote]

You keep talking about things wasting space, you have no knowledge of, sir.
Total conjecture/BS. The real story is none of your fn business.