2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Aldila finally announces RIP, also new series for maufacturers

markheardjr

'Fun fact; Most "wasabi" served in North America is not actually wasabi, but a mixture of horseradish, mustard, corn starch, and food coloring.

Real wasabi is a difficult plant to grow, making it somewhat rare and very expensive.

I think it's a cool name for a shaft.'

LOL and most of the stuff served in Japan too! I wonder if this shaft will find its way onto the JDM. Aldila shafts are rarer in Japanese golf shops than real Wasabi in restaurants...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the shafts names are very creative and serve to distinguish themselves in a crowded and complicated market. And I do not think they refer to Satanism or the Devil. I have the Proto By You in my driver and like it a lot, although with my clubhead it may spin the ball too much for my swing. I am a fan of Aldila and give them props for their marketing strategy here. I am also a conservative and a church goer. I'm sure no offense was meant and none has been or will be taken by me. This game is supposed to be fun! Quit squabbling over this. It's not worth it!

Anyone notice the press release from a few days ago? Emphasis on the "Magical" voodoo. Interesting how they emphasized that. I think someone over there is watching GolfWRX. I don't remember them really pushing the "Magical" tie in.

[url="http://www.aldila.com/pdf/pr_2009-09-21.pdf"]http://www.aldila.com/pdf/pr_2009-09-21.pdf[/url]

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='mosesgolf' post='1958130' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:54 PM']VS "By You" in blue color for Blew By You
DVS = DEVIOUS
NVS = ENVIOUS

I like the way they think over there. Still don't get the Wasabi though. Heck if it's a good high end shaft, I'll give her a go just because of this thread.[/quote]

EXACTLY! :clapping: and of course green NV = Green like eNVy (reminds me of Bold as Love lyrics from Hendrix)...
I totally dig how they kept finding names in 2-3 letters & having the color match to really 'sell' it to those who think about it. Funny enough (sadly enough?) I've broken 2 out of 4 of my NV's, leaving my bore-thru in my driver & my standard .335 in my 5 wood and just today, right out of the box, I broke a used VS 65S that was stock in a Ping Rapture I picked up!
Aldila's not exactly the first name I think of any more when it comes to durability for my dollar! I LOVE the flex & kick of the NV tho, especially in a bore-thru design. Works SO well for my 110mph SS in a driver, even one as old as mine.

As for the 'church-goer' and 'religious' comment that someone was wondering how they're not synonymous with each other, that's a wide spread misnomer that I know the OP understands the difference of just by his 'comeback' comment, if you will. I go to church, help with preschoolers and LOVE it! No one makes us married folks go to a church that we know no one at! We go cuz we love the fellowship & learning more about our Savior & what it means to be saved by grace. To contrast this 'church-goer' mentality quite bluntly, I absolutely HATE religion! Let me define the difference as simply as possible:
Christian 'church-goer' like me: in it for salvation & RELATIONSHIP
Religious person: In it because 'man says so.' Religion is man's rules attempting to define a relationship that doesn't require worldy rules or even men's minds in order to happen. Religion is what creates wars, not folks who love God & love hanging around other folks that do to (relationship).

Anyway, I know this isn't what this thread is for & find it hilarious that the word SATANISM got 'sucked' into names on golf shafts. Let's burn Beatles records & throw some more bras on the bonfire for the ladies while we're at it! (Wow, I sound like I'm sixty...I'm not even half that old :scare2: ). And while I don't own a Voodoo, Voodoo Chile is definitely one of my favorite all-time songs, so screw religion. What religion is 'Voodoo' anyway? I mean, come on...

As for the names, how is the Habenero getting no mention here?!? That shaft looks SICK! I love black & red & habenero peppers for that matter. The RIP shaft looks killer as well! Probably not gonna buy any of'em based on what's gone down for me this season & already replaced the 2 NV's with Proforce V2s with no regrets (miss the green tho!). Plus for me, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Wasabi (pun intended) due to it being the name of a prescription cream used by quack doctors who put various items in it and sell 3-5oz jars of it for $400-500, the bills of which I see come across my desk at work. They named it Wasabi cuz "it came out green and the pharmaceutical wackos like sushi." I deny those bills every chance I get!

Personal stuff aside, it's nice simply to see a change in the Aldila offerings, starting with the Voodoo. The shafts they've released, while usually working fine/great were getting a little old, like selling the same body style of car for 6 straight years. But unless I hit one & find it to be an absolute revelation on ball spin & trajectory, I'll probably stay away (no matter how cool the marketing...doesn't work is well on a Marketing major with three broken Aldila shafts in 2 months!) & stick with other brands like ProForce or Grafalloy.

Thanks for the specs on the shafts (love that...2.8torque on a 60gm!?!...right on...if it works!) and for the :kewlpics:

[quote name='goinglow72' post='1961027' date='Sep 19 2009, 06:43 PM']Here is some pics of the back up "TOUR" Wasabi that I have. I have been testing this shaft for a few months now and can honestly say it's one of the best shafts to date that I have tried. Notice with this version, compared to the retail version, the "Wasabi" paint graphics are a different color than the one that will be coming to retail as well as the GREEN in this shaft "fades" to a lighter shade of green the closer it gets to the shaft tip. I also believe the retail shafts will come in 60 and 70 grams... I was actually told that "3" BIG OEMs would each be getting their own version of each of these WASABI shafts... each having their own playing characteristics.

This one is the real deal....[/quote]

Where did you find s flex tour stuff?
Man, they are so few and far between. Everything is always X flex. Darn...............I need an "S" hook up.

[quote name='Yossie' post='1972499' date='Sep 25 2009, 08:04 PM']I wonder if there's really a performance leap with this new series, or is it just newer graphics. Hmmm... (don't get me wrong, I love Aldila shafts)

Nice rebuttal Mark, goes to show who really has class.[/quote]

Good point! Now, I know the R.I.P. is supposed to be the advancement here, but what about the advertised nanotubes found in the VS & DVS? Still in use here (it should be!)?
It's still a 'patented microlaminate shaft' that may be just a NV named Wasabi or a DVS named Habenero... All the more reason why I'll stay away until proven otherwise.

Personally, I swung a nice Ping driver with a Voodoo in it & it didn't feel like it loaded right to me. That same night I swung a Cleveland Hi Launch 9.5* tour with an aftermarket Grafalloy Blue Tour S in it & it was SO much easier to hit! I was blown away that I hit a 3* open faced driver better (straighter & longer) with that Tour shaft in it than the neutral Ping (G5 I think...) with the Voodoo.

I would like to try'em, don't get me wrong but as great as the new paintjobs may look, the beauty's gotta be way more than skin deep to get me to drop some dough on'em.

Guys it is the real deal . I swapped a Voodoo stiff to a RIP 70 x tipped 3/4 inch in my 909 D3 . I feel it is a bit on the stiffer side for me . I love the ball flight and when you nail it the ball just sails long on a straight line . A pleasure to watch . It feels a bit on the heavier side . This thing is smooth as whiteboard but adds more roll on my drives . It is really a low launch low spin shaft .

Something to note, there is a 90-X RIP on tour...Someone had/has one on ebay. 1.8° torque.

Just hit the Serrano 60-S in an Ping G15 10.5° at the local golfsmith. Shaft feels good, smooth, lots of control. I would be interested in trying a 70-X, if they make one. It felt like a smoother VS proto to me, just a little more action in the lower mid section than an SVS6 VooDoo. Ping has them at 45.75"! Shaft has to be pretty stable to be that long. Definetly a good combo with the Ping, the 60-S with the 10.5 got the ball up but didn't really feel like it was going to balloon, just launches the ball effortlessly.

RIP 60-X Installed and ready for action tomorrow!!! Results and review will be posted tomorrow evening! (No thanks to Aldila...:oP) I begged and pleaded for a chance to try the RIP a few months back. They said they were too rare and to check later. A week later they gave 2 away on GolfWRX, Not even sure the people that won them used em. I would have at least hit and reviewed it. Seems like I generate a lot of the advertising/PR/hype/etc on here about the Aldila products, as well as answer 3 or 4 emails a week with info requests and shaft advice. Sorrowly disappointed I had to wait so long to give it a go...Can't Wait!!!

[quote name='markheardjr' post='1982977' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:45 PM']RIP 60-X Installed and ready for action tomorrow!!! Results and review will be posted tomorrow evening! (No thanks to Aldila...:oP) I begged and pleaded for a chance to try the RIP a few months back. They said they were too rare and to check later. A week later they gave 2 away on GolfWRX, Not even sure the people that won them used em. I would have at least hit and reviewed it. Seems like I generate a lot of the advertising/PR/hype/etc on here about the Aldila products, as well as answer 3 or 4 emails a week with info requests and shaft advice. Sorrowly disappointed I had to wait so long to give it a go...Can't Wait!!![/quote]

Nice, you'll like it. I'm still liking mine's after about 2 months or so.

Does your RIP have the white or black skull and crossbones?

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

[quote name='br61' post='1983080' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='markheardjr' post='1982977' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:45 PM']RIP 60-X Installed and ready for action tomorrow!!! Results and review will be posted tomorrow evening! (No thanks to Aldila...:oP) I begged and pleaded for a chance to try the RIP a few months back. They said they were too rare and to check later. A week later they gave 2 away on GolfWRX, Not even sure the people that won them used em. I would have at least hit and reviewed it. Seems like I generate a lot of the advertising/PR/hype/etc on here about the Aldila products, as well as answer 3 or 4 emails a week with info requests and shaft advice. Sorrowly disappointed I had to wait so long to give it a go...Can't Wait!!![/quote]

[/quote]

Mine has the white/silver skull with the laser etched graphics. The eyes look like their hand painted red dots...

[quote name='markheardjr' post='1983367' date='Oct 1 2009, 11:01 PM'][quote name='br61' post='1983080' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='markheardjr' post='1982977' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:45 PM']RIP 60-X Installed and ready for action tomorrow!!! Results and review will be posted tomorrow evening! (No thanks to Aldila...:oP) I begged and pleaded for a chance to try the RIP a few months back. They said they were too rare and to check later. A week later they gave 2 away on GolfWRX, Not even sure the people that won them used em. I would have at least hit and reviewed it. Seems like I generate a lot of the advertising/PR/hype/etc on here about the Aldila products, as well as answer 3 or 4 emails a week with info requests and shaft advice. Sorrowly disappointed I had to wait so long to give it a go...Can't Wait!!![/quote]

[/quote]

Mine has the white/silver skull with the laser etched graphics. The eyes look like their hand painted red dots...
[/quote]

Likewise with Ezgolfer, mine's has black skull w/red eyes.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

OK, so I have 27 holes with the RIP under my belt. Impressions you ask? Um....L O W ! ! ! Low Launch, low spin, lowest sidespin ever.... This shaft is by far the lowest launching and least side spinning shaft I have ever played!!! This is my new holy grail of shafts. I have been playing an 8.5 Burner TP with the XVS6 voodoo for 1.5 years now and loving it, but man...this RIP is freakin crazy good! I have only hit 1 shot to the left, and I mean, I came so over the top, it should have taken out the apartments OB left... The ball does not move left or right, just dead straight. I lost maybe 5 yards, but the first 18 holes were on punched fairways and the last 9 was at a horrible muni, poorly manicured fairways. The shaft is so stable, doesn't matter how hard I swing, it can take it. I have hit a few out to the right, but I think the farthest off the fairway I have been is 10-12 feet! Honestly! I have hit a few (maybe 2) draws, mostly straight or a 5 foot fade. Still getting it past 280yards, probably averaged 290 before with a smattering of overcooked draws and high cutting fades. RIP is here to stay boys! The 60-X is more than enough for me, I wouldn't even think of playing the 80 in a driver. 70x for a 3 wood and 80x for a 5 wood maybe.

Let's hear some other experiences! Haven't heard much online from actual users... I'll write a formal review in the review section if Ryan will add the RIP in there for me.

• 1 month later...

Any more feedback?

Really like the looks of the RIP. I only average a 95mph driver swing speed in my first year of golf at age 35. Will they offer Stiff or only X stiff? Their is a 70x & 80x on ebay. the 80 would fit my R9 460, what about cutting it to 45". I know, I'm probably dreaming. Probably just go with a Diamana Blueboard S.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

[quote name='boycer11' post='2072858' date='Nov 18 2009, 08:11 PM']Any more feedback?

Really like the looks of the RIP. I only average a 95mph driver swing speed in my first year of golf at age 35. Will they offer Stiff or only X stiff? Their is a 70x & 80x on ebay. the 80 would fit my R9 460, what about cutting it to 45". I know, I'm probably dreaming. Probably just go with a Diamana Blueboard S.[/quote]

At 95mph, dont' even think about even looking at the X-flex RIP!!! It is a stout bigboy shaft. I am playing the 60X tipped only .5" and it's right at the limit of what I can handle and it feels like an 80g shaft. I can only imagine what the 80-X (or tour only 90-X) would feel like. It does seem odd that I have not see a single stiff flex RIP shaft. I wonder if they have even made any yet. I cannot speculate on whether or not it will fit a sub-100mph swinger or not. All I know is I bring the 60-X around 115mph and it could probably take 130mph no problem. The tip is very firm. I love the low ballflight and control I get but honestly it will feel like a lead pipe if you're only swinging 95. I produce a large amount of lag and need a strong shaft to take the lag and still release it in time for impact. I don't know that you would have any luck with this shaft unless you have a massively late release and generate tons of lag, but again, at 95mph, I don't think you will get this shaft to bend enough to really generate that release at impact. And that is what it is all about. Find the shaft flex/cpm's that releases just before impact. Too soft and it releases early, to stiff and it releases late. (Hence why they say too soft means a hook and too stiff means a fade/slice.)

edited for all the grammar teachers...

Thanks for the reply mark. I didn't think it would work. Did get a pm from a guy on here who says he has a stiff rip and asked if I was interested. I replied with a few questions and am waiting for a response. Will post on here or pm u news if u want. Thanks again, mark.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

[quote name='boycer11' post='2073805' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:35 AM']Thanks for the reply mark. I didn't think it would work. Did get a pm from a guy on here who says he has a stiff rip and asked if I was interested. I replied with a few questions and am waiting for a response. Will post on here or pm u news if u want. Thanks again, mark.[/quote]

Awesome! That's a rare shaft right now. Did not mean to sound rude in my post above, hopefully I didn't come off that way. The RIP is the only shaft on the market for me that lowers the ball flight significantly but still remains playable. Sure, I can buy an Accra SE80 M5 with it's 1.8° torque in an 80g shaft and hit it low, but it is like swinging a lead pipe. The RIP has excellent feedback and is very playable at my swingspeed. I can hit a 285 controlable fade or a 300 yard hit-the-ground-running draw. My problem before was I hit the ball too high and got zero roll, on top of that, the ball was subject to the slightest wind because how high it went. The RIP is a great shaft, I really hope it works out and you find that it fits you.

[quote name='phelps22' post='2074253' date='Nov 19 2009, 02:43 PM']Any info on the NV profile Voodoo or the price point on the Voodoo SVS8 Hybrid shafts?[/quote]

You can search for lots of info on the NV voodoo here. I tried an XNV6 about 6 months ago. Nice shaft, very similar to the XVS6 voodoo. Not sure how much the hybrid shafts are. Saw a XNV8 hybrid a few weeks ago, wouldn't mind trying that!
-Mark

[quote name='HouAggie' post='2075365' date='Nov 20 2009, 10:44 AM'][quote name='phelps22' post='2074253' date='Nov 19 2009, 04:43 PM']Any info on the NV profile Voodoo or the price point on the Voodoo SVS8 Hybrid shafts?[/quote]

If you're strictly asking for the specs of the NV profile Voodoo, they're listed on the Aldila website.
[/quote]

Yea, I saw the specs on their site. I was looking for release dates and M.S.R.P's. I assume the price will be the same on the vs and nv profile, but I was wondering what kind of price the hybrid will carry.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

[quote name='phelps22' post='2075493' date='Nov 20 2009, 08:57 AM'][quote name='HouAggie' post='2075365' date='Nov 20 2009, 10:44 AM'][quote name='phelps22' post='2074253' date='Nov 19 2009, 04:43 PM']Any info on the NV profile Voodoo or the price point on the Voodoo SVS8 Hybrid shafts?[/quote]

If you're strictly asking for the specs of the NV profile Voodoo, they're listed on the Aldila website.
[/quote]

Yea, I saw the specs on their site. I was looking for release dates and M.S.R.P's. I assume the price will be the same on the vs and nv profile, but I was wondering what kind of price the hybrid will carry.
[/quote]

Aldila hasn't been very good about announcing release dates or MSRP's lately. If I had to venture a guess I'd say mid to late spring and $100-$185 for the hybrid voodoo, just a guess though.

• 1 month later...

How does this RIP shaft compare to the Diamana Whiteboard and Blueboard? Also, what is the release date and MSRP for this shaft?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F