2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ko'Olau on Oahu

CarloGolfer

Most amazing course... ever
I got to play this course with one of my all time buddies which only added to the amazing experience. The course is breathtaking in a way which can only be experienced by actually being there. No matter how many pictures you see, or how many stories you read about how cool it is... it's even cooler!

If you're in Oahu you must go. It was the experience of a lifetime. Hope you like the pics.

This is the closing hole. You can see my ball in the foreground. It should give you a perspective as to why it was listed by Golf Digest as the hardest closing hole in America. (The issue was on the wall in the clubhouse)

And I think this is the best golfing picture anyone has ever taken of me.

Hope you enjoyed it!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen pics of this course before. It looks awesome and your pics have reinforced that... Great pics!! I bet you had a blast! How could you not??

:kewlpics:

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Yeah totally overrated and a terrible club atmosphere - i.e. NONE! They have no idea what they're doing with this place, those weird Hawaiian-Korean Christian Church people who own this place.

The course is like the Playstation's video game called "Everybody's Golf" - that one course called Dinosaur something or other feels kinda like this place.

In fact, the course down the street is better than this one. What the hell was it called - anyway, KoOlau is WAAAAAAY overrated and the service there is terrible.

I DO NOT recommend KoOlau. Only if you're desperate.

Oh I remember now
[url="http://www.luanahills.com/"]http://www.luanahills.com/[/url]

is so much better.

[quote name='italian71' post='1959717' date='Sep 18 2009, 09:58 PM']So what did you shoot?[/quote]

I have no idea. We didn't keep score.

If I were going to keep score, I would have to be able to play it a few times... then keep score after having a game plan. You really have to understand the course before you can play it, IMO. It was the hardest course in America at one point. Plus, it was only the third time I had played since my second shoulder surgery this past year.

All that being said... I would guess I put up around 90. I made two birdies, but I also lost about 8-9 balls. You would be sort of cruising along for 3-4 holes, hitting the fairway with 3 woods and irons, then bam! bam! bam! three balls lost on one hole.

We decided before the round to play for the experience rather than get frustrated with making back to back triple bogeys.

[quote name='RangerEsq.' post='1960068' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:29 AM']Yeah totally overrated and a terrible club atmosphere - i.e. NONE! They have no idea what they're doing with this place, those weird Hawaiian-Korean Christian Church people who own this place.

The course is like the Playstation's video game called "Everybody's Golf" - that one course called Dinosaur something or other feels kinda like this place.

In fact, the course down the street is better than this one. What the hell was it called - anyway, KoOlau is WAAAAAAY overrated and the service there is terrible.

Oh I remember now

is so much better.[/quote]

I think you have it backwards. The back nine at Luana Hills is like playing "the predator" in Tiger Woods golf.

Luana Hills was cool, but wasn't quite the course Ko'Ola was.

To each his own. I guess if you already live in Jurassic Park, then ko'olau is no biggy.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' post='1959986' date='Sep 19 2009, 01:47 AM']Great stuff. I remember recommending that course to someone on this forum, when he said he was heading to Oahu. I played both Ko'Olau and the adjacent course, Pali, which wasn't as strenuous (or expensive) but shared the same spectacular views.[/quote]

It could have been me. I remember asking someone.

I've played both Ko'olau and Luana Hills and in my opinion Ko'olau was much better. Luana Hills had too many blind shots and I wasn't too fond of the greens, coming from the midwest. I thought the greens rolled much better and were in better shape at Ko'olau. Different types of grass I believe.

[quote name='Terrible-Tom' post='1960364' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:36 AM']I thought the greens rolled much better and were in better shape at Ko'olau. Different types of grass I believe.[/quote]

I totally agree. Something was odd about those greens at Luana Hills. They didn't... roll. You had to hit all your putts much harder to get to the hole and they were very bumpy.

The back nine at Luana Hills was pretty cool though. I liked them both, but Ko'Olau better.

[quote name='CarloGolfer' post='1960154' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:12 AM'][quote name='Awsi Dooger' post='1959986' date='Sep 19 2009, 01:47 AM']Great stuff. I remember recommending that course to someone on this forum, when he said he was heading to Oahu. I played both Ko'Olau and the adjacent course, Pali, which wasn't as strenuous (or expensive) but shared the same spectacular views.[/quote]

It could have been me. I remember asking someone.
[/quote]

Yeah, I looked it up and it was your thread. I was the first to mention Ko'Olau then others chimed in with agreement. I'm glad it worked out well for you. :clapping:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242299&hl=Ko'Olau"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...;hl=Ko'Olau[/url]

Played there about 13 years ago, got lost in a heavy rains storm on my way to the Pali Municipal course, what a course! Unbelievable experience, had to go back a second time. Serene, difficult, beautiful, magnificent and friendly staff. Bring lots of golf balls and a camera.

Glad you guys had a good time. Memorable place!

[quote name='Terrible-Tom' post='1960364' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:36 AM']I've played both Ko'olau and Luana Hills and in my opinion Ko'olau was much better. Luana Hills had too many blind shots and I wasn't too fond of the greens, coming from the midwest. I thought the greens rolled much better and were in better shape at Ko'olau. Different types of grass I believe.[/quote]

[quote name='CarloGolfer' post='1960392' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:57 AM'][quote name='Terrible-Tom' post='1960364' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:36 AM']I thought the greens rolled much better and were in better shape at Ko'olau. Different types of grass I believe.[/quote]

I totally agree. Something was odd about those greens at Luana Hills. They didn't... roll. You had to hit all your putts much harder to get to the hole and they were very bumpy.

The back nine at Luana Hills was pretty cool though. I liked them both, but Ko'Olau better.
[/quote]

Hahahaha that's what I thought about the greens at KoOlau! That weird hybrid-tropical grass that sticks up like the back of a shaved hedge-hog - the place is always wet, always soft, and you literally have to WHACK the ball on the green to move it at all. NOT really made for golf, but I guess that grass is the strongest grass in the climate there.
Same with the fairways - always wet, always soggy - guaranteed of at least a dozen plugged balls during the round which kills your distance and makes the course that much harder.
I'll give KoOlau this much - the Course Marshal was a cool dude. He had some really good tips. He also seemed to enjoy talking to me so he found us on the course a few times at some crucial holes and gave us some good advice. He told us the type of grass it was, and even he said that the ball will do "funny" things on the greens!

I think people get taken by the views at KoOlau - the place is not fun to play, the clubhouse is crap, the staff are like zombies, they have no concept of "customer service" - they don't really care where you come from, which is not a good way to be especially seeing as the place attracts more tourist golfers than anything!

Luana Hills is much more playable and takes some thinking, but not as frustrating as KoOlau, and is a way way way better layout for that reason.

And hey - it's just an opinion. Don't take it personal.

[quote name='RangerEsq.' post='1961849' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:26 AM']Hahahaha that's what I thought about the greens at KoOlau! That weird hybrid-tropical grass that sticks up like the back of a shaved hedge-hog - the place is always wet, always soft, and you literally have to WHACK the ball on the green to move it at all. NOT really made for golf, but I guess that grass is the strongest grass in the climate there.
Same with the fairways - always wet, always soggy - guaranteed of at least a dozen plugged balls during the round which kills your distance and makes the course that much harder.[/quote]

The cart guys mentioned the course can get saturated. I guess it hadn't rained much when we played because we didn't get any plugged balls.

[quote]I'll give KoOlau this much - the Course Marshal was a cool dude. He had some really good tips. He also seemed to enjoy talking to me so he found us on the course a few times at some crucial holes and gave us some good advice. He told us the type of grass it was, and even he said that the ball will do "funny" things on the greens!

I think people get taken by the views at KoOlau - the place is not fun to play, the clubhouse is crap, the staff are like zombies, they have no concept of "customer service" - they don't really care where you come from, which is not a good way to be especially seeing as the place attracts more tourist golfers than anything![/quote]

It's odd you would mention the customer service. Maybe they've gotten a lot of complaints in the past, becuase from the guy at the pro-shop to the cart guys to the starter, everyone went out of their way to be really friendly.

Maybe they're trying to turn over a new leaf.

[quote]Luana Hills is much more playable and takes some thinking, but not as frustrating as KoOlau, and is a way way way better layout for that reason.

And hey - it's just an opinion. Don't take it personal.[/quote]

Nothing personal. Just some good golf discussion. If we can't talk honestly about golf on this forum, what can we do?

[quote name='CarloGolfer' post='1961902' date='Sep 20 2009, 08:56 AM'][quote name='RangerEsq.' post='1961849' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:26 AM']Hahahaha that's what I thought about the greens at KoOlau! That weird hybrid-tropical grass that sticks up like the back of a shaved hedge-hog - the place is always wet, always soft, and you literally have to WHACK the ball on the green to move it at all. NOT really made for golf, but I guess that grass is the strongest grass in the climate there.
Same with the fairways - always wet, always soggy - guaranteed of at least a dozen plugged balls during the round which kills your distance and makes the course that much harder.[/quote]

The cart guys mentioned the course can get saturated. I guess it hadn't rained much when we played because we didn't get any plugged balls.

[quote]I'll give KoOlau this much - the Course Marshal was a cool dude. He had some really good tips. He also seemed to enjoy talking to me so he found us on the course a few times at some crucial holes and gave us some good advice. He told us the type of grass it was, and even he said that the ball will do "funny" things on the greens!

I think people get taken by the views at KoOlau - the place is not fun to play, the clubhouse is crap, the staff are like zombies, they have no concept of "customer service" - they don't really care where you come from, which is not a good way to be especially seeing as the place attracts more tourist golfers than anything![/quote]

It's odd you would mention the customer service. Maybe they've gotten a lot of complaints in the past, becuase from the guy at the pro-shop to the cart guys to the starter, everyone went out of their way to be really friendly.

Maybe they're trying to turn over a new leaf.

[quote]Luana Hills is much more playable and takes some thinking, but not as frustrating as KoOlau, and is a way way way better layout for that reason.

And hey - it's just an opinion. Don't take it personal.[/quote]

Nothing personal. Just some good golf discussion. If we can't talk honestly about golf on this forum, what can we do?
[/quote]

I suppose a s*** economy like this changes things - may be they realized that people weren't showing up as much as before so they changed their tune? It's been about 18 months since I was there last.

Yeah the course was soaked when I got there. Totally soggy - the marshal told me that was normal in the afternoons!

• 3 months later...

I played there in Feb when I visited Hawaii (for the 1st not the last time) and I looked forward to it for months. It did not disappoint. Its tough as hell. Hit the ball straight and make sure you get all of it because there are forced carries everywhere. Its gonna make you pay no matter what.
The great thing is about it is LOCATION. You are playing golf in a civilized JUNGLE. The views were awesome. The wife road along and loved it too. A heavy but short squall came in and the wife and I ran up into the jungle 20 feet from the cart and stayed dry. Too cool.
As far as customer service is concerned. Nobody was rude, and nobody was kissing my a**. Perfect. What made it better was nobody in front of me, nobody behind. So I got to play my game. Plus I hit 2 balls. I play solo most of the time.
I must admit, the whole church thing was weird, very weird.
18 was a nice little beast. A forced carry off the tee, and then a second forced carry to an elevated green. I almost hit the green too, just about 3 feet short of the top but I chipped it close and par'd the toughest hole I've ever played. Those who have played it know. Great way to end it. Great memory for life.

Adams 9015D w/Harrison Saga 60S
Callaway XR Pro 4 wood 16* PX 6.0
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18* & 23*
Mizuno MP 15 4-P TTDG S300
Callaway MD3 52* & 58*
Rife Barbados... the best putter ever.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='RangerEsq.' date='18 September 2009 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1253352578' post='1960068']
Yeah totally overrated and a terrible club atmosphere - i.e. NONE! They have no idea what they're doing with this place, those weird Hawaiian-Korean Christian Church people who own this place.

Oh I remember now

is so much better.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what happened for you, but I play Koolau several times a month and Luana Hills is no comparison. Koolau is a tough course and doesn't let you relax for a minute. If you're looking for a cruise course this is not it. Luana Hills is full of blind shots and not really any comparison to Koolau, other than it's on the same side of the Koolau Mountains. Koolau is run and managed by American Golf. The Presbyterian church has nothing to do with it, other than owning the property. I've never had any interaction whatsoever with the church any time I've played there. This course, as almost all courses, from time to time has an issue with the way the front people inter-act with the golfers. I've had issues with this myself. It happens.....almost everywhere. That doesn't mean the track is not tough and interesting.

The weather can be a big factor and local knowledge can play a part in your score. If it's dry the ball will run on the front side. The back side is almost always damp at the very least. The runoff from the mountains is always a factor. That's why they don't allow carts on the fairways on the back side.

Great course to try. Survival is the name of the game. Don't expect to beat the course.

Aloha

[quote name='Redhaze737' date='04 July 2010 - 02:06 AM' timestamp='1278223584' post='2553839']
[quote name='RangerEsq.' date='18 September 2009 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1253352578' post='1960068']

Oh I remember now

is so much better.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what happened for you, but I play Koolau several times a month and Luana Hills is no comparison. Koolau is a tough course and doesn't let you relax for a minute. If you're looking for a cruise course this is not it. Luana Hills is full of blind shots and not really any comparison to Koolau, other than it's on the same side of the Koolau Mountains. Koolau is run and managed by American Golf. The Presbyterian church has nothing to do with it, other than owning the property. I've never had any interaction whatsoever with the church any time I've played there. This course, as almost all courses, from time to time has an issue with the way the front people inter-act with the golfers. I've had issues with this myself. It happens.....almost everywhere. That doesn't mean the track is not tough and interesting.

The weather can be a big factor and local knowledge can play a part in your score. If it's dry the ball will run on the front side. The back side is almost always damp at the very least. The runoff from the mountains is always a factor. That's why they don't allow carts on the fairways on the back side.

Great course to try. Survival is the name of the game. Don't expect to beat the course.

Aloha
[/quote]

• 2 months later...

It amazes me that the course was almost on the verge of extinction for a while. I think they sold it cheap like 6 or 7 million. It is an amazing course on unbelievable land. The amenities are not the greatest but who cares about that. The course is what really matters and it is awesome. Best when greens are fast. Not as hard as the rating though. Generous fairways and everything plays as lateral hazard.