Has anyone removed/replaced an odyssey insert?

huwwill22

[quote name='rockwallraider' date='07 December 2009 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1260166859' post='2108757']
my aluminum insert turned out like this. head weighed 350 with new insert

[attachment=505332:JMBB4.jpg][attachment=505333:JMBB1.jpg]
[/quote]

[quote name='QWKDTSN' date='07 December 2009 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1260167271' post='2108763']
Nice one! I'll probably be giving aluminum a try as a first step to see if I like the feel. But it sure won't look as professional as that, with the mill marks and button back (is that functional, BTW?)
[/quote]

It may have just been this particular putter, see above quotes ^. I actually purchased it in the BST (thanks again rock!), then it got a refinish, regrip and re-fill on the paint, and since the original pictures from this thread were deleted (probably due to upload space) haha, i just wanted to throw up some updated pictures since the topic was brought back up, and the button back idea was thrown out there. Good luck on the project!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on finishing it up, so this is just a few teaser pics.

DSC01946.jpg

DSC01945.jpg

DSC01944.jpg

DSC01943.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

It's not complete yet by any stretch. But this is a progress update, unlike some people do around here. Oh, and I know the insert isn't exact, but it's being milled to be slightly smaller so it'll have the polymer around the insert like a true buttonback, and the one above.

I'm also not finished with the head as far as cleaning it up, removing dings, etc. I'm working on finishing up the insert before finishing up the head. The insert takes the longest.

Also, I'm thinking about where the Xg logo goes on the bottom to stamp Cu in there instead or to cut and mold a piece of copper to fit in there and stamping CU on that. Just kicking around ideas at this point though.

RookieBlue7: I like the copper. It looks like you have got that to a really nice fit. One thing I did to help me take my insert down to thickness was to make a sanding 'jig'. I took a piece of junky 1 x 2, cut it to about 6 inches, then chiselled out a recess about 4" x 0.75 by about an eighth of an inch deep. Then I could lay a piece of 100 grit sandpaper on my workbench, put the insert on it, put the jig on the insert, and sand the insert down very easily without taking the skin off my finger tips. But if you have someone who can mill it to thickness that would be even better.

My aluminum insert #4 Odyssey putter turned out OK, but I don't really like it all that much. I think maybe I like the added heft with the brass inserts I did on my XG#9 and a few other Odysseys for friends. Or maybe I just don't like the #4 head.

I would post a final picture, but I am not all that proud of it. My first attempt was a highly polished face on the insert. That lasted one round. I don't want to have to polish my putter after every round. So I sanded it a bit with 600 grit sandpaper. Even that shows marks very quickly. And it just doesn't look distinctive. And, a big and, I just am not sinking enough putts with the thing.

So why reward it by publishing its photo.

The one thing I really like about the #4: it is really easy to scoop the ball off the green with it when you have a gimme. Unfortunately, for me, that is too often for my third putt.

[quote name='honketyhank' date='08 May 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1273370745' post='2429608']
RookieBlue7: I like the copper. It looks like you have got that to a really nice fit. One thing I did to help me take my insert down to thickness was to make a sanding 'jig'. I took a piece of junky 1 x 2, cut it to about 6 inches, then chiselled out a recess about 4" x 0.75 by about an eighth of an inch deep. Then I could lay a piece of 100 grit sandpaper on my workbench, put the insert on it, put the jig on the insert, and sand the insert down very easily without taking the skin off my finger tips. But if you have someone who can mill it to thickness that would be even better.

My aluminum insert #4 Odyssey putter turned out OK, but I don't really like it all that much. I think maybe I like the added heft with the brass inserts I did on my XG#9 and a few other Odysseys for friends. Or maybe I just don't like the #4 head.

I would post a final picture, but I am not all that proud of it. My first attempt was a highly polished face on the insert. That lasted one round. I don't want to have to polish my putter after every round. So I sanded it a bit with 600 grit sandpaper. Even that shows marks very quickly. And it just doesn't look distinctive. And, a big and, I just am not sinking enough putts with the thing.

So why reward it by publishing its photo.

The one thing I really like about the #4: it is really easy to scoop the ball off the green with it when you have a gimme. Unfortunately, for me, that is too often for my third putt.
[/quote]

Instead of hand sanding down to final thickness, it's being milled down to final thickness. It will have a milled face as well instead of a smooth face. The entire face will be remilled so it all matches up. The putter also isn't going to be silver. I haven't really began experimenting with finishes yet, but it'll be dark.

I was going to post pics tonight, as I was finishing the putter up. I had gotten it back today from my uncle, whom had milled the face for me. All I had left was some final clean-up and finishing the head out. I got the head done and wanted to do just a tad of touch-up on the insert (which he'd milled to perfectly match the mill marks already present). So, I take out the grinder (stupid in hindsight) and go to work removing a few high spots. I'm on the last high spot in the insert (because I wanted to do a polymer border around the insert just like a button back, so I had to try to get it perfect by my specifications) and what do I do? Drop the damned thing and skin a vertical line directly across the face side. It was small by this time and hard enough to hold onto. I had to simply grind off about 1/4 of a millimeter, and now the insert is ruined. Good thing I bought extra bar stock, because now I have to start all over with it because it gouged the face side and it'd be unusable. CRAP!!!!! It was ready to be put in too. I'd already drilled and tapped the holes for the screws and trimmed the screws to length. I'd had the insert in and taken back out. And now I have to start all over. So it'll be at least Monday because tomorrow is his last day of work this week. I'll try to get pics up of the gouged insert.

• 3 months later...

Do you know if all the inserts are the same size? I work at a plastic company, probably not the type of plastic you are thinking of. It is more of a very dense type and comes in big sheets. However, they have mills, CNCs and things that I could probably get cut in just about any color. At that size, I cannot see the plastic we make being any heavier than the insert itself. I want to do my odyssey white hot #2 (it is older but not real old). I was thinking if I got a bunch made then I could sell or give them away if they were all about the same size on each putter. I know a lot of people want to get rid of these inserts..

• 1 year later...

[size="3"]Well, this is an old thread that someone referred me to today upon me asking about the possibility of replacing an Odyssey white steel insert with an Odyssey white hot XG insert.

If someone out there wants to consider doing this for me (or replacing the white steel insert with an insert which is softer...LIKE the XG insert), I would of course pay you/reward you for your services.
I've been saying for a couple years now that the Odyssey White Steel 3 Ball SRT would be my all time favorite putter IF it has a much softer insert. If someone can make that happen, ummmmm, yippee.

I do not have these types of talents, unfortunately.
Thank you,
Tom[/size]

[quote name='teejaa6' timestamp='1336790134' post='4899148']
[size="3"]Well, this is an old thread that someone referred me to today upon me asking about the possibility of replacing an Odyssey white steel insert with an Odyssey white hot XG insert.

If someone out there wants to consider doing this for me (or replacing the white steel insert with an insert which is softer...LIKE the XG insert), I would of course pay you/reward you for your services.
I've been saying for a couple years now that the Odyssey White Steel 3 Ball SRT would be my all time favorite putter IF it has a much softer insert. If someone can make that happen, ummmmm, yippee.

I do not have these types of talents, unfortunately.
Thank you,
Tom[/size]
[/quote]

Thats interesting. Everything I have done has been to go from soft insert to something harder and clickier. But anyway, my first suggestion would be to try to contact Odyssey and see if you can get a replacement insert that is their std polymer instead of the the White Steel. If so, a bit of heat to remove the old insert, some double sided tape to hold the new one in, and you are good to go.

If Odyssey can't help you out, you will have to do some experimentation. Remove the old insert, trace it, save the pattern, then cut a new insert from whatever plasticky stuff you have and shave it down to the proper thickness. Use double sided tape to stick it in and try it out. Seems that you have access to various polymers and good milling equipment, so you can experiment with various materials until you get the feel you like. I mention double sided tape instead of epoxy because of two reasons: it is much easier to work with in both the installation and the removal process and it will stick to common polymers much better than epoxy.

All that having been said, please understand that I have not gone this route before, so all the above is how I would approach the problem. Actually solving the problem often involves multiple changes of plan. Give it a go, modify as needed.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an dead thread.

I'm doing up and old Rossie with a stramonic insert--the soft black rubber-like insert. Any ideas on whether it's possible to get it out without damaging the insert? I tinkered the other day, got it heated up but heating it made the insert so soft it seemed unlikely to get it out without ruining it.

Ideas?

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

The stronomic in the Rossie is tough in my opinion. It's not actually an insert, but more like plastic or epoxy, cured into a pocket. I don't believe it will come out. I tried boiling and it begins to chip out slowly. I tried melting it with a torch, and it turns into a messy lava. Acid is my next bet, but it got messy and I just ran out of patience. My disaster is pictured below :)

If you want to keep it, maybe re-face-milling would help it.

Hm. That makes sense. That explains why when I heated mine up it got a touch gooey, whichmade it imossible to peel out. I'm sure that if I worked at it I could get the insert out and replace it with milled piece. But the issue is cost and getting the milled piece. I may just leave the insert in and plan what I do to the putter around that.

[quote name='spryevo' timestamp='1384581064' post='8157024']
The stronomic in the Rossie is tough in my opinion. It's not actually an insert, but more like plastic or epoxy, cured into a pocket. I don't believe it will come out. I tried boiling and it begins to chip out slowly. I tried melting it with a torch, and it turns into a messy lava. Acid is my next bet, but it got messy and I just ran out of patience. My disaster is pictured below :)

If you want to keep it, maybe re-face-milling would help it.
[/quote]

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Going to call Odyssey about a replacement. I want to remove the insert from my Milled Collection #2 and send it to either Labworx or BOS. Not so much concerned with the removal but reinstalling after a refinish is what I'm iffy about. Both companies are known for not accepting insert putters but I've had both agree to take them if I remove the insert first.

• 4 months later...

After seeing this post and not enjoying the feel of my odyssey putter I have made a copper insert haven't made to fit completely has around 1.1-2 mm hang forward but after a few putts around with it, it feels fantastic if I find that the head is a little heavy I'll do some weight reduction works

• 2 years later...