2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hole in one question ?

johnnypar

Some get 'em and some don't
How long have you been playing golf without a hole in one ? Or what is the longest period in between holes in one ?

I have played for 27 years (lots of golf). I am an 11 handicap and have never had a hole in one.

The closest I ever came was the ball resting on the lip with air under about 20% of the ball.

I have seen about eight of them, some of them from my partners and most of them were from

bad hits. Line drives,,off trees,ground balls. Then there were the few well struck balls.

I guess - some get 'em and some don't.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing for about seven years now and have yet to get one. I have had allot of balls that were tracking in then ended up a few inches short, and on one occasion my ball was rolling towards the hole, hit the pin and glanced off.

I have never seen a true HIO either but one time my friend hit his first tee shot in the water then hit his second attempt in the hole. The nicest par I ever saw.

I've been playing about 15 years, have only seen one (crappy shot like you said). Off a greenside bunker rake, bounced once and skidded across the green and hit the flagstick pretty hard. But I still call my him "Ace".

The closest I've gotten was on a crappy shot, a low push-hooked 7 iron, it ended up about 40% over the cup.

Some day.

I've got my hole-in-one on my 6th round (I think it was 6th). I shot 98 that day (pretty proud of that achievement on my 6th round) on a really difficult course, but hole-in-one was just plain lucky. The ball hit the side hill, took a good bounce, and rolled into the cup. My dad, who has been playing over 25 years and a scratch golfer still don't have one. It just happens to some people I guess?

Also... one thing I noticed that week on the newspaper was, there was a guy who shot TWO yes... TWO hole-in-ones on the same day!!! it was the week that I shot my hole-in-one, so mine didn't look too impressive after that.

i've been playing less than 3 years and don't have a hole in one myself, but watched one of my friends make one. not entirely sure how it happened because it was 230 yards, with the green elevated above the tee box, and a small knob off the green blocking the view of the lower half of the pin. we got up there and didn't see his ball and started looking behind the green and couldn't find it so he took a drop and after he chipped on when we pulled the flag there was his ball in the cup. following he hit the biggest slice i've ever seen him hit (he's an 8 handicap) into the woods and the hole in one ball was never to be seen again.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

32 years of golf.....single digit handi.....0 holes in one. :)

I've hit pins, lipped them, couple of inches around the cup and even on the lip but nothing dropped for me yet. At least I have one double eagle though.....which in my opinion is harder to do. :ok:

I guess with all the agony, I must be lucky because I have been playing for around 5 years, currently playing off 6, and I have had 2 hole in ones.... 2 weeks apart.... right after I got my Mizuno MP-33's. They were both perfectly struck (I'm trying to be modest) and one took one bounce and rolled in and the other was a slam dunk. May the the force(gravity) be with you. (That was a really lame joke but the first couple posts were about the ball half over the cup.)

Josh

I read somewhere that low cappers and older players have a higher percentage chance of making a HiO because of their ballflights and how their ball releases compared to the one hop or two hop and stop ballflights of most "good" players. Lots of players play most of their life and never get HiO's but then will roll off several once their reach the golden years.

It's crazy, I've hit a ton of good shots on my home course and such, but my one ace was:

On a course with temp greens, 2 days after Christmas in Washington, on a mat for the par 3, no clue the actual yardage, wearing Ski Gloves, tennis shoes, and using a borrowed set of clubs.

Not to mention the hole was 30' downhill, so even if I knew the yardage I wouldn't know what to hit.

And of course, one hop and drop, I got to see it though, which made me happy.

i had 45% of the ball on the lip and I did the old step hard next to it and didnt budge i was so mad. Ive gotten my fair share of eagles so I dont mind it eluding me a bit more

Stomping on the ground isn't legal, but you can walk up and cast your shadow from the cup side on your ball, and i've seen that work too. Not for a hole in one but just to cause the ball to drop in the cup. :)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I've played golf on and off for over 40 years before I got my first hole in one. I've put the ball in the hole and spun it back out before, and I've lipped it out many times but only had one hole out. I've seen one other person make a hole in one just last year, the thing is it was getting dark when I got mine and I really didn't see mine go in. :) It was 195 yards with a 4 iron, the ball hit the fringe, flipped on the green and tracked into the hole, so says my son. :ok:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

A chop donkey on his first round of golf at Discountdan's golf course (The Highlands at Gearhart) yesterday aced the 2nd hole he had ever played in is life.

I on the other hand am a golf pro with 24+ years of high volume golf through my life, and I have none.

The irony. The horror. Tears in my eyes as I tell the guy to quit while he is ahead.

DiscountDansGolfcom  Highlands Golf Club
DiscountDansGolf.com

Highlands Golf Club
Gearhart, Oregon
1-877-738-5248
[email protected]

Been playing for over 20 years, no aces yet, close but no cigar. I have only seen one in person, last year by one of my playing partners, it was a good shot which tracked to the hole, that was his first and he has been playing for about the same length of time as me.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I've been playing for 30 years, no official hole in ones. Did have a hole in one in a par 3 tournament that won the only skin of the 36 hole par 3 tourney but does not count in my book since it was a measly 57 yarder. I did hole out for a par with a 5 iron after going out of bounds just barely on my tee shot.

Funny thing is that I've eagled par 4 holes over hundred times including 3 times already this year but no aces yet.

All the aces that I've witnessed came on all kinds of fluke shots and I haven't witnessed an ace yet on a good shot.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

Been playing for 30 years (with six years off between '97 and '03 due to back problems), and have been fortunate enough to make 3 holes in one. (I'm a 2-handicapper now). The last two aces were both in the summer of 1985 near the coast of South Carolina, and a month apart. The first one was kinda squirrelly, a thin shot that hit the front of the green and rolled fifty feet into the cup.

Ah, but the second was sweet. My foursome were all great friends, and my partner and I started the back nine with an eagle (a par 5, mine) then two straight birdies (both my partner's). Then the other two guys pressed the bet again on the short par-3 13th. I hit first and hit a 7-iron. When the ball descended, all I heard was a "clunk." It had hit the flagstick just above the cup and gone straight in. The sight of my buddy Joey (who had pressed the bet) tossing his club over his shoulder in mock frustration, then all of us laughing hysterically, is probably my best memory in golf.

thanks for letting me relive this one...

My cousin who plays 2 to 3 times a year had a hole in one when I was playing "G" in our family foursome. Big ol nasty slice, one hop and in it went. So after that he he kept calling me and leaving me voice mails about his hole in one because at the time I was playing at least three times a week. Then two months after all that abuse I knocked one in at Knollwood CC, CA in the PLGA Match Play. Just after I place my payback call to him on the way home I get pulled over for speeding. The ticket stunk but at least I had my first hole in one.

I have been playing since 98.

I've been playing about 6 years, I dont have a handicap but I shoot between 76-80 for the most part. Never had a hole in one, never actually had any of my playing partners stick one either. Although I did have a kid on my high school team get one, unfortunately for him he hit his first shot into the water and it was only to save par. :) I've had a good number of tap-ins and I've actually hit the flag stick twice, but both of them ended up about 12 feet away.

Oddly enough I've had 3 double eagles.

Made my first when I was 12.........then went 12 years before making another......then made 3 and an albatross within 18 months.......and haven't made one since......which is 20 years......:)

I've got a student who's 13 and has made NINE hole's in one so far......all of them witnessed.......he's a helluva' junior player, but, still ya' gotta' be a bit blessed to do what he's done at such a young age.....really amazing if you think about it......I use to think Mancil Davis, etc. were full of crap when they said they'd made 50 plus.......but NOT after seeing this kid......

I got one last year having played golf for 5 years previously. To be honest, albeit that effort, I've never come that close. Hit a lot to 2-3 feet but never anything lime the ball hanging over the lip. I suppose I'm just lucky to have had an ace.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"