2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

CDGA/Illinois Tournaments

chaley6077

Looking to get my feet wet
I am looking for advice on which Illinois or CDGA tournaments would be good for newer tournament players. In terms of what I qualify for, I am 28 years old (male) and on the CDGA website my handicap qualifies me for everything except the US Open and US Am, so the options are all pretty much there except for the junior or senior tournaments. I'm realistic enough to know I probably don't have the game or the experience yet to expect to finish in the top tier of any state or district level tournament, so I'm not expecting to win whatever I sign up for. However, I am really interested in trying out a tournament or two at a relatively high level to see how I hold up. I think my game is good enough that I won't be getting in anybody's way or making a complete a** of myself by giving it a shot. The bottom line is that I'm competitive and will take it seriously, but I will be going into it more with the mindset of trying to play well, get experience, and just see how I measure up. With that in mind, are there any tournaments people would recommend I look into as a good jumping off point?

I anticipate some people will take the position that the best place to start would be at the city/local course tournament level. I probably agree, but I'm going to be moving to a new city in about a month and I have not been able to find information on any individual tournaments there (fyi - I'll be moving to Bloomington/Normal, so if anybody has any suggestions for individual tournaments in that area that draw a competitive field, I would be glad to hear about that too).

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a job at State Farm, huh? :D Make sure you play Prairie Vista, The Den (a must!), Ironwood and if possible, Bloomington G & CC. PV has some tremendous greens which is an ideal place to practice.

I've been wondering as well when there are tournaments happening in that area. Would be really neat if there was one while I was visiting. i'm usually able to make it down to Bloomington at least twice a year.

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

There are a decent amount of "city" tournaments in Bloomington/Normal with very competitive fields (stroke play, match play, team play). As long as you live in B/N you can sign up.

Outside of Bloomington, there are multiple invitationals and tournaments that will test your skills.

I don't have much knowledge on state run tourney's as I haven't really gotten into that, but if join the CDGA, you can find a lot of good info there and pick and choose. I'm sure someone who has plenty of tournament experience will chime in.

Good luck to you.

ANy of the CDGA events are fun to play in. You can go to CDGA.org and sign up online to commit to a tournament. Most of the tournaments have the ususal suspects. In other words, there is a regular core group of players that enter in most of the events. Most of the events are played in the chicagoland area. There are a few qualifiers in your area, but then you would be playing to qualify for an event in the chicagoland area. If you are interested in testing your skills and get tournament tough, call the local courses and ask the pro what events are scheduled at their course or if they know of any big events in the area. There are quite a few weekend events in the Chicagoland area. I don't know of any near you. I believe I saw a few qualifiers on the cdga website in Normal. Start there, even if you qualify and go to the chicagoland area, you will get a chance to test your skills. Good luck and have fun with it!

Illinois Open, Illinois State Am (we host a qualifier at my course and there is a TON of talent), Mid- Am, any golf course that's hosting their own Invitational/Club Championship, etc.

If you honestly have zero tournament experience, in preparation for them, I would start by booking your tee-times as a single joining a threesome or try to join a weekend men's club so you can gain more experience playing with people you don't know. Also, regardless of what you shoot (i've known good golfers who've posted 90's in tournaments) don't give up... You never really lose the nerves, but you learn to play when you've got that adrenaline rush going the first few holes.

Best of luck and if you need more info feel free to pm me.

-Kyle

ANy of the CDGA events are fun to play in. You can go to CDGA.org and sign up online to commit to a tournament. Most of the tournaments have the ususal suspects. In other words, there is a regular core group of players that enter in most of the events. Most of the events are played in the chicagoland area. There are a few qualifiers in your area, but then you would be playing to qualify for an event in the chicagoland area. If you are interested in testing your skills and get tournament tough, call the local courses and ask the pro what events are scheduled at their course or if they know of any big events in the area. There are quite a few weekend events in the Chicagoland area. I don't know of any near you. I believe I saw a few qualifiers on the cdga website in Normal. Start there, even if you qualify and go to the chicagoland area, you will get a chance to test your skills. Good luck and have fun with it!

Gee.. you're not talking about John Wright, Rich Dukelow, Mike Stone.. etc.. :)

Add John Finnan, Mark Esposito, Mike Floodstrand, Andy Gableman- Yup, you two guys have covered it!!wink.gif

[quote name='dbornack' date='13 January 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1263439943' post='2180322']
[quote name='Golfchicago' date='13 January 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1263368438' post='2178579']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dukelow turned pro again, but yep, that's the crew. CDGA events are great. They are really well run and you can meet some great people who love the game of golf... like Frank Montro!

[quote name='apprenti23' date='13 January 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1263441064' post='2180352']
If you honestly have zero tournament experience, in preparation for them, I would start by booking your tee-times as a single joining a threesome or try to join a weekend men's club so you can gain more experience playing with people you don't know. Also, regardless of what you shoot (i've known good golfers who've posted 90's in tournaments) don't give up... You never really lose the nerves, but you learn to play when you've got that adrenaline rush going the first few holes.Best of luck and if you need more info feel free to pm me.-Kyle
[/quote]

I don't mean to thread jack but do you know of clubs in the Chicago area that offer a men's club or players club besides White Pines? I've been looking for something like that to get more competitive golf experience.

Thanks,
WB

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everybody. In case anyone comes across this page looking for the same info, I've just learned there is a website for the Bloomington-Normal golf association that has info on the good city tournaments. The site is [url="http://www.bnga.org"]www.bnga.org[/url]. Of course, cdga.org has all of the info on USGA, Illinois state, and Chicago area tournaments as well.

In the Bloomington area, you might want to consider playing these two day weekend events. They have good fields on decent courses. Check with the courses for exact dates and applications:

1) May 21-22nd: Heritage Bluffs Open, Heritage Bluffs GC
2) June 5-6th: Joliet Amateur, Wedgewood GC
3) June 12-13th: Pine Hills Amateur, Pine Hills GC
4) Sep 18-19th: Pontiac Invitational, Pontiac Elks

I'm sure there are a few other decent events in the area too but I'm not aware of them since I don't live in that area. I'd second giving the CDGA/USGA events a shot (State Am, State Mid-Am and USGA qualifiers, etc)

I wouldn't worry about the scores you shoot... I might take a season or two just to shoot your typical scores under tournament conditions.

Good luck and have fun!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='oldpalchamp' date='14 January 2010 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1263478055' post='2180765']
[quote name='dbornack' date='13 January 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1263439943' post='2180322']
[quote name='Golfchicago' date='13 January 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1263368438' post='2178579']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dukelow turned pro again, but yep, that's the crew. CDGA events are great. They are really well run and you can meet some great people who love the game of golf... like Frank Montro!
[/quote]

You guys are dating yourself. Lots of younger guys who beat the snot out of those you've mentioned

• 3 months later...

So anyone have any ideas how long they set the courses up for the IL State AM qualifiers? I'm playing the one in Harvard at Oak Grove in a couple of weeks and just wondering how they'll set it up. That course can play over 7000 yds, but surely they don't make it that long, correct?

Any other tips? I'm just a 6 handicap hoping i can put together a good round, but I don't really expect to qualify. Just want to play some tournament golf and love playing with better players.