2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Myrtle Beach Trip

CodyKid91

Looking for some course help
Hey guys,
Going to Myrtle Beach for a week in mid March with my dad and were looking for some help picking courses. We already have accommodations booked so we're booking courses separately. We probably won't be playing any of the more expensive courses so looking for some suggestions of basically the best courses for the money. Looking for a couple courses in the 80-100 range and the rest around 50-70. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you staying? The "Grand Strand" is a big area (more than 70 miles from North to South), so the courses you should choose will be influenced by where youare staying. It sounds like its your first trip to MB. Since you want a mix of top notch and mid range courses, I'd suggest doing a package of courses that are all operated by a single company. That way you can get the best discount on the green fees. You should note that Mid March is the beginning of peak golf season in MB so that is when green fees are the most expensive. These would be my top choices :

1 - The Legends group [url="http://www.legendsgolf.com/heathland.cfm"]Legends[/url]- Oyster Bay (North end), Moorland, Heathland and Parkland (Central), and Heritage (South end) -All of these are excellent courses and moderately priced

2 - Burroughs & Chapin (a/k/a Myrtle Beach Golf Trips) http://www.myrtlebeachgolftrips.com/Golf-Courses.aspx- Farmstead & Meadowlands (North end), Pine Lakes and Arcadian Shores (Central)All of these are moderately priced. B&C also have two high end courses, Tidewater and Grande Dunes. You can probably get a good package that will include one of these at a good discount

3 - Ocean Ridge (The big Cats) Lions Paw and Panthers Run are mid level courses. Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase are top layouts. All 4 are located at the same place (North) and you can get a package of all four for a good price.

4 - MB National [url="http://secure.guestdesk.com/reservations/?systemType=3&UID=7&SiteID=30&PID=184"]MBN[/url]- Willbrook, River Club, Tradition and Litchfield (South end), Wild Wing, MB National South or West courses (Central, Aberdeen (North end))These are all moderately priced. They also have some high end courses: Kings North (Central), TPC of MB (South)and Long Bay (North). You can get packages that include one or two of the high end courses at a good rate.

If you want to book "unaffiliated" courses, Rivers Edge and Carolina National are great choices that are relatively cheap, but they are pretty far North.

I would suggest that you call Brian Noblin at Myrtle Beach Golf Desk. [url="http://www.golfdesk.com/multround_discounts.cfm"]MB Golf Desk discount packages[/url] He can arrange a package at any of those groups and a very good prcie. I am not affiliated with him at all, but have had very good experience. I have booked several trips through him.

We're staying at the North end for the first two days then staying in the South end for the rest. My dad was there a few years ago so he knows a few courses but yeah this is my first time. Thanks for all the info. That site looks to have a lot of good deals and has the prices for individual green fees aswell. I'd like to play Rivers Edge and Carolina National first 2 days then see what kind of package we can get. We'll probably give the guy a call in the next couple days and see what we can workout. Thanks again for the help.

It may not win any popularity contests on sites like this, but one of the best experiances I have ever had on a golf course was at Quail Creek at Coastal Carolina University in Myrtle Beach. The customer service alone was exemplary. We make it a point to return every fall and spring just to play there.

http://www.coastal.edu/quailcreek/

I would try and hit Carolina National if you are able to go that far north. You can register on their website for email specials and get greens fees for about $40 instead of a $100 walk in rate. They also have a $35 (I believe, plus or minus a couple bucks) all you can play replay rate. Great service, and the course is always in fantastic shape. Plus they have 27 so getting out isn't a problem. I am heading to MB on Monday, I can PM you with conditions at Legends and Oyster bay if you want. Thistle is also a sweet track, but can get pricey. There are so many courses down there that everyone has a fave, and what one likes another may not. Also look into the myrtlewood courses. They are little older but usually good condition and not a ton of $$. I also played Woodland Valley, which used to be Diamondback. Kind of off the beaten path, but decent rates can be had. And well worth the trip, good replay rate too. Check out the myrtle beach golf directors. they have tee times only and have pretty good rates. We have used them 1-2 times a year for the last 4 years and never steer us wrong. Have a good time

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='16 February 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1266356972' post='2256054']
Caledonia and True Blue; Love and Fazio courses at Barefoot are my choices
[/quote]

Great courses, but WAY more expensive than the original poster asked for. Those courses are $190-200 a pop.

I agree with Sabram. Contact Brian Noblin at the Golf Desk - he'll guide you on the best courses for your money.

[quote name='LennyTheLip' date='17 February 2010 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1266420971' post='2257551']
I would try and hit Carolina National if you are able to go that far north. You can register on their website for email specials and get greens fees for about $40 instead of a $100 walk in rate. They also have a $35 (I believe, plus or minus a couple bucks) all you can play replay rate. Great service, and the course is always in fantastic shape. Plus they have 27 so getting out isn't a problem. I am heading to MB on Monday, I can PM you with conditions at Legends and Oyster bay if you want. Thistle is also a sweet track, but can get pricey. There are so many courses down there that everyone has a fave, and what one likes another may not. Also look into the myrtlewood courses. They are little older but usually good condition and not a ton of $. I also played Woodland Valley, which used to be Diamondback. Kind of off the beaten path, but decent rates can be had. And well worth the trip, good replay rate too. Check out the myrtle beach golf directors. they have tee times only and have pretty good rates. We have used them 1-2 times a year for the last 4 years and never steer us wrong. Have a good time
[/quote]

We'll be at the north end for two days so i think we'll try to go there first or second day. I'd like to play a couple legends if we can get a good deal so yeah that would be great. I'll check that out and see what we can find. Finding lots of good info here guys thanks for the help.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='16 February 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1266356972' post='2256054']
Caledonia and True Blue; Love and Fazio courses at Barefoot are my choices
[/quote]

Those are among the very best courses in MB, but he wants to keep prices between $50 and $100. You can't play those courses at that time of year for near that.

So we've been looking at the packages at Myrtle Beach golf desk and I think we decided on one for the first 3 days. The North Carolina premier package is 3 rounds for 235. Works out to about 75 bucks per round. I think we're gonna pick Rivers Edge, Carolina National, and Thistle. Going by the individual price list on the site Thistle is $126, Rivers Edge $85, and Carolina National $75. This seems like a pretty good deal and all of these courses have been recommended to me. Just wondering if you guys think this is a good choice and if anyone has played these courses recently and can comment on condition. Thanks.

[quote name='CodyKid91' date='25 February 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1267140936' post='2277307']
The North Carolina premier package is 3 rounds for 235. Works out to about 75 bucks per round. I think we're gonna pick Rivers Edge, Carolina National, and Thistle. This seems like a pretty good deal and all of these courses have been recommended to me. Just wondering if you guys think this is a good choice and if anyone has played these courses recently and can comment on condition. Thanks.
[/quote]

Rivers Edge, Carolina National and Thistle are three very good choices North of MB. I prefer those three over the three mystical courses or Arrowhead, most of which are average tracks located further South. From those, I'd choose the Witch and Arrowhead over Wizard and Man O War

There are recent trip reports on those courses at the Myrtle beach Golf Talk site. I saw one today that said Rivers Edge was in good shape but Cart Path Only due to the recent rains.

[quote name='sabram' date='27 February 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1267286913' post='2281003']
[quote name='CodyKid91' date='25 February 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1267140936' post='2277307']
[/quote]

Rivers Edge, Carolina National and Thistle are three very good choices North of MB. I prefer those three over the three mystical courses or Arrowhead, most of which are average tracks located further South. From those, I'd choose the Witch and Arrowhead over Wizard and Man O War

There are recent trip reports on those courses at the Myrtle beach Golf Talk site. I saw one today that said Rivers Edge was in good shape but Cart Path Only due to the recent rains.
[/quote]

Looks like we wont be playing thistle, ended up being extra money to play it. The first three days are Crow Creek, Carolina National, and Rivers Edge. Haven't heard much about Crow Creek but should be alright. After that we're just gonna pick the rest when we get there. Probably gonna play one of the mystical courses and not quite sure what else yet. I'll check out that site too. Thanks.