2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Favorite Ball of all Time

zodiackill

[quote name='redlabel' date='28 February 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1267385466' post='2283456']
Spalding Strata Tour Ultimate is my favorite and still have 2 1/2 dozen left.

All time favorite was the Slazenger 420i Balata, They were long and I could spin the heck out of them.
[/quote]

Interesting that you should mention the Strata Tour Ultimate as that was also my all time favorite (I ran out of them years ago). The only issue that I had with those balls is that you couldn't put them in your pocket with hard plastic tees - the tees would scuff them.

OK, maybe they weren't quite that fragile, but I sure did mark them up in a hurry.

dave

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the new balls are better than those of yesterday (I love the Srixon Z-star/x)

That being said I really thought the Maxfli revolution was a super solid ball when it came out, also the original Top Flite Strata was really good.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='28 February 2010 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1267410137' post='2284408']
[quote name='redlabel' date='28 February 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1267385466' post='2283456']

All time favorite was the Slazenger 420i Balata, They were long and I could spin the heck out of them.
[/quote]

Interesting that you should mention the Strata Tour Ultimate as that was also my all time favorite (I ran out of them years ago). The only issue that I had with those balls is that you couldn't put them in your pocket with hard plastic tees - the tees would scuff them.

OK, maybe they weren't quite that fragile, but I sure did mark them up in a hurry.

dave
[/quote]

I bought up 10 or 11 dozen of them when they were discontinued and am down to my last 2 1/2 dozen so will be looking for a new ball this summer. They're as long as any ball I've hit and stop when they reach the green. I'll be bummed when I finally run out of them.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]

[quote name='redlabel' date='01 March 2010 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1267425835' post='2284894']
[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='28 February 2010 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1267410137' post='2284408']

[/quote]

dave
[/quote]

I bought up 10 or 11 dozen of them when they were discontinued and am down to my last 2 1/2 dozen so will be looking for a new ball this summer. They're as long as any ball I've hit and stop when they reach the green. I'll be bummed when I finally run out of them.
[/quote]

For me Pro V1's were/are almost (not quite) as spinny on partial wedge shots. But I liked the Tour Ultimate better off the tee.

There is one ball (long gone) that actually had more spin than the Tour Ultimate, and that was the Callaway Hx Blue. But that ball really was short off the tee (for me anyway). I played the Hx Red for a while (didn't like the Hx Tour at that time).

dave

[quote name='TMBob' date='01 March 2010 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1267455678' post='2285204']
Original Strata
[/quote]

Was their a ball that was every branded just "Strata" with no other designations? I know that the Topflight logo (e.g. Topflight Strata Whatever) was a pretty late addition (there was no Topflight logo when I played the Strata Tour Ultimate).

Thanks.

dave

I love those stratas, especially the tour ace... But I would have to say that the TP-Red is my favorite ball of all time... It just has everthing I want for the course I play the most. It is long but the most crucial thing is it doesn't have too much spin on full shots so you don't have to worry about spinning off greens... you can spin it if you want but the spin is so predictable and consistent...

Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ

[quote name='miket_81' date='01 March 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1267460154' post='2285346']
I love those stratas, especially the tour ace... But I would have to say that the TP-Red is my favorite ball of all time... It just has everthing I want for the course I play the most. It is long but the most crucial thing is it doesn't have too much spin on full shots so you don't have to worry about spinning off greens... you can spin it if you want but the spin is so predictable and consistent...
[/quote]

I'll have to pick up some of those TP-Red as I need to find a new ball this summer when I run out of Stratas. We should be playing golf in 40 days.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

On a less serious and different note-- Does anyone remember a ball sold by Walgreen's Drug stores in Chicago for about $1 per sleeve in the early-mid 1960s called PO-DO (pronounced poe-doe). When we were kids we used Po-Dos exclusively for putting balls. They were so heavy that if they got anywhere near the hole they fell in.

[quote name='reeves' date='01 March 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1267493896' post='2286665']
On a less serious and different note-- Does anyone remember a ball sold by Walgreen's Drug stores in Chicago for about $1 per sleeve in the early-mid 1960s called PO-DO (pronounced poe-doe). When we were kids we used Po-Dos exclusively for putting balls. They were so heavy that if they got anywhere near the hole they fell in.
[/quote]

YES!! When I first started to play golf in the early 60's I remember playing some of those balls. My father was a pharmacist so he was able to purchase them at cost. I don't know if he played them or not, but they were fine for a 13 year old just learning the game. I don't recall them being particularly heavy, but it isn't like I had much to compare them to.

dave

I'm trying to recall back in the early 1960's when balata/wound balls were the only really good balls around. My recollection was that there were 4 high end balls (4 sticks in my mind). But I recall 5 brands that were "high end".

Titleist (Red - 80 compression, Black - 100 compression, Red/Black - 90 compression)
Wilson Staff
MacGregor DX/Tourney
Spaulding Dot
Maxfli (was there a model name here?)

Were there other 'good balls' back in the early 60's?

dave

[quote name='redlabel' date='01 March 2010 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1267488011' post='2286388']
[quote name='miket_81' date='01 March 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1267460154' post='2285346']
[/quote]

I'll have to pick up some of those TP-Red as I need to find a new ball this summer when I run out of Stratas. We should be playing golf in 40 days.
[/quote]

I know they're used, but it says they're in mint condition and the price is right. Give this link a shot, maybe you can still use your stratas

[url="http://www.knetgolf.com/product/Strata_Tour_Ace-p370.aspx"]http://www.knetgolf.com/product/Strata_Tour_Ace-p370.aspx[/url]

Hope this helps,
Mike

Wow, lots of others who remember my favourites.

When I first started golfing - Dunlop DDH II in neon yellow. Went well in the wind, were durable, and ROLLLLLLED a long way.

When I got a bit better - Tour Edition in 90 compression. Just felt better than anything else!

When I took up golfing again after a school and child driven absence - Dunlop DDH Butter Soft - had to club down with my irons as I kept sailing the greens

And now - It's like asking me which beauty pageant contestant I like best. there are so many good affordable balls out there now, it's hard to pick a favourite. However, I do like just about everything Srixon makes.....

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

first ball i ever played with 20 years ago was a Titleist DT 90. loved that.. the Prov1's are my new choice but i think the ball i liked the most were the Titliest HVC's 100. first couple years they came out. early 90's i believe.. anyone know when they first came out? i know they were in a silver box.. they were great! as a young teenager i thought it was cool to see the multi-sized dimple pattern. was the first ball i saw like this. i still have one brand new :)

[quote name='Bobbers' date='02 March 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1267564448' post='2288487']
Knowing I had the funds to cough up for a NEW "Acushnet Club Special" was always a big deal, meant I wasn't going to have to choose which balata ball had the fewest smiles in it...God I loved the advent of Surlyn.

Then, too, I miss the Polara for some reason...
[/quote]

I remember when starting up in the game during college in the early 70's and loving that Club Special ball. Brings back
a lot of memories.

Spalding Range.

Ok, so once I was in a high school match and thats the only ball I had left.

But, my favortie ball would have to be the Tour Ballata 100. Until it started to smile at you.
( I actually have a sleeve left and I wont touch em)

Some other interesting balls:

Top Flight Z-Balata
Precept EV (as mentioned before)
Maxfli HT (man that cover was softer than butter)

[quote name='mat562' date='27 February 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1267329158' post='2282396']
Maxfli HT and the Titleist Professional.

The Maxfli ball was a better ball, in my opinion, than the Titleist balatas which were considered the benchmark of wound balata technology. Sadly, they changed the cover composition around 1993 or so and ruined it.

The Professional was so good in its day. Truly a phenomenally good ball. Went miles, shapeable, it spun, and it even lasted a long time to boot. Basically a turbocharged Tour Balata with a more robust construction thanks to the urethane cover.

For my money, Nike's One Platinum is the best current ball. It's the nearest thing to an old balata.
[/quote]

I knew it! I shouldnt really have looked! Maxfli HT all the way! Was given some played on the Japanese Tour, slightly different from the European / US version. Maximum Feel and Rewards for a good shot, maximum torture and cutting on a bad shot.

[quote name='KYMAR' date='28 February 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1267409194' post='2284352']
[quote name='oatsjohn' date='28 February 2010 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1267365312' post='2282837']
"The Duke" from Wilson. [b][i]Perfect spiral everytime![/i][/b]
[/quote]

That is HILARIOUS! Literally Laughed so loud i woke my dog and he looked at me funny! Good stuff! :clapping:
[/quote]

Absofreekinlootly!

[quote name='redlabel' date='01 March 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1267488011' post='2286388']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Check the [url="http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11494299&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC%7C111%7C54253%7C54258&N=4016078&Mo=11&pos=3&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=54258&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11004-Cat54253&topnav="]Costco[/url] web site. You can get some nice refinished TP-Red balls for cheap.