2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

My Wood Bros Texan m43

UPDATED New Pics Added
With all the Texan love on this board, I thought I'd share my beloved new driver. Unlike a lot of people here, I'm not a fan of the eye-o-matic insert look. I'm more of a m43, 693, Toney Penna kind of guy. But, I also don't like stamping on the top, and I don't really like the butterfly sole plate (I love the sweepback plate). Anyway, I've been wanting to get that one special club to get set up just right and replace the cleveland classic TC15 I've been knocking around.

So, I found this bad boy. It's a Wood Bros. knocked up to look like a Mac m43. I love the sole plate and nice deep face. Plain top, minimal stamping and the gold colored Texas sole plate and I was hooked.

Right now it's 44.5" and has a Sandvik Ti x shaft, so there will be some changes coming. But I'm very excited to get this thing in play.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the 1st Texan I've seen like that. It looks really nice. I too like the M43 red insert style,very simple and classic. Once you install your correct shaft, you got a winner. I love the Texas sole plate and the WB stamps. I wonder if its the standard Texan 1 and 5/8th inches deep...? Looks it. Your one lucky guy. Sweet club.

Thanks Freddie. I feel lucky, got it for a great price, too.

Yep, 1 5/8 face depth. I got some great info from the seller too. He won a Nike tour event and had the Wood Bros tour guy make that one to look like an m43, so it's a custom job. I wonder how close it is to that one we see Norman using in that pic from the other thread? It's got the same gold sole plate and approximate color, and we know he was an m43 man.

I played a Sandvik in a Callaway some 13 or so years ago. As I remember it, it was a 'strong' flex, whatever that means. I liked it well enough (although I remember not liking the feel), and I like my driver shafts much more stout than anything else, so first I'm just gonna hack an inch off and see how she plays. But I think a rifle will be going in pretty soon.

Outstanding driver!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Prepare the rubber room boys, I've officially gone mad...

I was very pleased with the m43 Wood Bros, so I went back to my source, who was a very accomplished player and a fellow Wood Bros. fanatic, and bought him out. Well everything except the one that he used in the U.S. Open, which he wouldn't sell.

I'm really loving the 2 sweepbacks. That's by far my favorite sole plate (Texas included) design. And I just love the plain look. I got the eye-o-matic insert one as I figured I didn't have any like that. It's a custom, too, though. It has a slightly different head shape than the others as well. And lastly, I picked up the fairway, as I was in the need. He called it a 4 wood, when I really needed a 3. But, I've measured it at 16*, so it's probably just going to be a small headed 3 for me.

Anyway, I've really got a decision to make. One of either the m43 or the 2 sweepbacks is going to get some attention and go in the bag. I just don't know yet. I love the m43, but a black sweepback would probably be sort of the ulitmate for me.

Have a look. Comments appreciated!

[attachment=564106:IMG_0106.jpg]
[attachment=564107:IMG_0107.jpg]
[attachment=564109:IMG_0108.jpg]
[attachment=564111:IMG_0109.jpg]
[attachment=564112:IMG_0110.jpg]
[attachment=564113:IMG_0111.jpg]

That is a terrific collection of Wood Brothers woods. I have to agree with the board here, the sweepback soleplate is outstanding!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

So you played the black one today with the EOM insert and steel shaft? How did it play? and what balls did you use? I bet the grain is amazing under that paint. I'm not a big fan of black painted heads myself. If I had that I'd be tempted to refinish it and show the natural grain, but it still looks cool the way it is.

[quote name='freddiec' date='24 March 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1269475627' post='2338740']
So you played the black one today with the EOM insert and steel shaft? How did it play? and what balls did you use? I bet the grain is amazing under that paint. I'm not a big fan of black painted heads myself. If I had that I'd be tempted to refinish it and show the natural grain, but it still looks cool the way it is.
[/quote]

Yep, played the black one with the EOM insert and an s400. Although, while the top looks totally black there are some places around the neck and sole where you can see some grain, so maybe it's just a really dark stain? Played Professional 100s, which is my new persimmon ball, because it performs great and holds up well. But, it doesn't turn nearly as much, especially with the irons, so that takes some of the fun out. It played great. To be honest the head looks a little intimidating behind the ball. It looks smaller heel to toe and longer front to back than the m43 or the Cleveland TC15 and Toney Penna that I've been playing. It just wanted to go straight for me. Launched higher than I expected, but flattened out and ran nicely. And the feel was fantastic. I'm not really loving the feel off that Sandvik in the m43.

[quote name='persimmonpal' date='24 March 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1269479229' post='2338868']
[quote name='astamm8' date='24 March 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1269474840' post='2338715']
I'm NOT a collector though, so some of these are going to have to move on at some point. I just have to figure out what to keep.
[/quote]

Keep me in mind! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Absolutely. If any of them really talk to you (and by you I mean anybody) pm me. I want these to go to good homes and hopefully to see some action. Otherwise maybe they can go on the new vintage BST at some point.

Another thing I really like is that I'm pretty sure these all have really heavy heads. Which, I really like and gives you some room to work with when refinishing.

• 1 month later...

Well boys, I went ahead and list a couple of these on EBay. I listed the one with the EOM insert and s400 shaft and the 4 wood. I'm already having some sellers remorse on the EOM one though. That thing is beautiful and a much different head shape than the typical Wood Bros. Maybe I'll change my mind before it's over.

If anybody's interested just search wood bros on the bay and they'll be easy to find.

• 9 months later...

I finally decided to list one of the sweepback on eBay. The auction is here if anybody's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140525576960&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_955

I thought I'd pass along some very interesting info on the club that I got from Dave Wood:

[size=2]The Sweepbacks are quite interesting... Made very few. The DM19 on your driver, stands for Dick Meckley born 1919. Dick was an old pro and PGA Tour rep. He was a good friend of Ben Hogan's and represented the Hogan company in the late 70s' and early 80s'. After leaving Hogan, he joined Roger Cleveland in the early 80s' when Roger was promoting his Cleveland Classics on the Tour. Dick joined me in 1988 and worked on the Tour for WB until 1994. He wanted some Drivers made up with a simple "Sweep back" style plate (DM19 was a tribute to him). Dick was a straight forward, old school Pennsylvania dutchman, child of the Great Depression and WW2 vet who fought against the Japanese in the Pacific theater. He was an Icon on the Tour. Although he worked for me, he seemed to boss me around quite a bit. Mr. Meckley was a life coach and father figure to many of the players.<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">Your DM19 has 11" h X 7"v roll. 7 " vertical is a lot. This means the loft above the center of the face is about 10.5 and around 7.5 below center. Really skilled ball strikers did this sometimes. They could hit high launch drives by catching the ball higher on the face. Then hit burner drives when striking it below center. [color=#2A2A2A]The FMC 6.7 composite shaft is tapered to emulate tapered steel shaft's that players preferred when the club was built.[/color][/size]

I thought I'd share some pics of the Texan M43. This is the persimmon that I play. I've had a lot of work done on it by Persimmonpal, Louisville Golf, and Dave Wood. I had the loft taken up to 11* and the shaft changed to a Rifle. I put on my preferred grip with a massive homemade rib that would make Hogan proud. Dave Wood gave it the Norman treatment with the [color="#1C2837"][size="2"]heel a bit forward with the top line on the toe-side softly feathered and blended into the merging lines of the crown and skirt.[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"] [/size][/color]
[size="3"][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]I haven't had a chance to play it since its last (and final!) round of work, but it looks fantastic, and I can't wait. The last two pics are some repair work that Dave did to the hosel, he does great work.[/size][/color][/size]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"] [/size][/color]
[attachment=748237:WBros2.jpg]

[attachment=748236:WBros1.jpg]

[attachment=748238:WBros3.jpg]

[attachment=748234:WB2.jpg]

[attachment=748235:WB4.jpg]

Beautiful clubs!

Who was the PGA Tour collector/player?

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Texsport,

Thanks. I was really (pleasantly) surprised how much the sweepback went for. The clubs were made for Hugh Royer III. I had a chance to talk to him in detail when I got them, and since I've gotten more info from Dave Wood. It's really interesting to hear the full story on the clubs. It's sad that the days of being able to really customize woods to that degree are gone.

And thank you, astamm8!

I am the lucky buyer who added it to his collection. The club has returned to it's birthplace in Texas. Dave will have his hands on it again soon.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 9 months later...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everybody know that I'm selling the other sweepback. I've had it a long time, but it's time for a new home, a GOOD home. I listed details about in the ad, but basically I'd like to sell it to someone here for $235, and if not I'll sell it on eBay, where I think it might fetch a little more than that.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/564173-wood-bros-texan-sweepback-tour-issue/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/564173-wood-bros-texan-sweepback-tour-issue/[/url]