2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Favourite architect

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crenshaw Coore. What body of work lacks in #'s, makes up for in quality. Sand Hills, Friars Head, Austin Golf are all great in their own way. I think Friars Head routing was genius. Two extremes in terms of land, huge coastal dunes and a potato field. The transition is seemless and I think the best holes strategically were built on the less desireable land. That is the genius.

I love William Flynn courses. There are many great ones in the Philadelphia area. I'm forutnate enough to play at one of his designs as my home club, just a treat to play. Especially in the summer when it is firm and fast.

For me I love the understated brilliance of older classic courses as opposed to modern ones which seem to manufactured to me.

• 1 month later...

i used to work for a golf course architect firm, jmp golf design group. so, i like their courses. very similar to robert trent jones jr. as jmp worked with him before.

generally speaking, i like architects that design the course to use all the clubs in the bag. i think every par 3 should be a different club. there should be 2 tough short par 4s. the holes should be of varying lengths to make you use different clubs for approach.

not sure if any architects have courses like that. not too many i have played.

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1271693643' post='2388023']
I love old MacKenzie and Tillinghast courses.

Of the modern designers, I've become a big fan of Dr. Michael Hurdzan's courses.
[/quote]

Good 1!! Hurdzan and Frye's Calusa Pines Naples Fla- is phenomenal. Has to be the best golf experience in Florida outside of Seminole. The course alone is prolly the best in Fla. though.
Old School-MacDonald, Ross, Colt, and Mackenzie.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed some people have mentioned golfclubatlas.com here. I have been posting there since 2000. I admit, I am a course architecture nerd. It and the exclusive "Max's Lounge" website are the two best DG's on course architecture. Very intelligent posters and most are extremely knowledgable on the topic. And, yes, Doak is a regular contributor on golfclubatlas.com as are many other architects, supers, course historians and wirters.

As for my favorite designers... I love Charles Blair MacDonald/Seth Raynor courses. I'm also a huge George Thomas fan and think his Golf Architecture in America is the best course architecture book ever written. Of the modern guys I like both Doak and Coore/Crenshaw. Coore/Crenshaw currently edge out Doak in my book but it's very close and could change if I get up to Bandon sometime soon.

[i] [/i]I think RTJ is overrated. His courses tend to be unforgettable for me. Although, the first 5 holes at Spyglass are some of the best holes in the world. Too bad the last 13 are unremarkable, IMO. Nicklaus started out unique and got redundant after a while. I think he's getting better lately and started to incorporate some classical aspects to his designs.

One modern guy no one has mentioned that deserves to be in the elite group with Doak and Coore/Crenshaw is Gil Hanse. Rustic Canyon is a phenomenal minimalistic design and his current restoration at LACC is going to be off the charts. Wait until you see pictures of the work he is doing there. George Thomas is smiling down on him for sure.

-40-

Callaway Epic 9* Fujikura VC 6.2 X
3-wood Callaway XR Aldila Rip B 70 X
Hybrid Callaway Big Bertha Aldila RIP a X
4-PW Callaway Apex Pro DG X-100
Wedges Callaway MD Forged 52, 56, PM 64
Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 009 @T

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/990289-witb-forty/"]WITB Link[/url]

40, thanks for the info on Gil Hanse. I'm going to be driving by Rustic Canyon and am psyched about playing there. The only thing that detracts from Coore/Crenshaw for me, is Bandon Trails. I just think that they tried to hard to move earth around and some of the holes should be redesigned. Of course, I've only played Plantation and Bandon Trails from their portfolio. Having played Pacific Dunes and Cape Kidnappers, I consider Doak to be a god of modern design. Can't wait to play Old Mac.

[quote name='TML' timestamp='1284735172' post='2701545']
40, thanks for the info on Gil Hanse. I'm going to be driving by Rustic Canyon and am psyched about playing there. The only thing that detracts from Coore/Crenshaw for me, is Bandon Trails. I just think that they tried to hard to move earth around and some of the holes should be redesigned. Of course, I've only played Plantation and Bandon Trails from their portfolio. Having played Pacific Dunes and Cape Kidnappers, I consider Doak to be a god of modern design. Can't wait to play Old Mac.
[/quote]

I'm certainly not trying to recruit posters here for golfclubatlas.com but if you want to see some insane pictures of Old MacDonald I would go peruse the DG over there. The place looks off the charts. I have yet to make a trip to Bandon so can't comment on personal experience, but being the huge fan of C.B. MacDonald that I am, Old MacDonald looks unreal. Doak had the help of a guy named George Bahto, basically THE authority on all things CB MacDonald who even wrote a biography on MacDonald. From all I have heard Old MacDonald might end up being the best course on the property.

As for Rustic Canyon... it's architectural genius. I can't speak for the conditions as it is a public course that gets heavy play and I haven't been there for 4 years or so. As for the skeletal bones of the course, it is one of the best 5 courses in Southern California, IMO. The place oozes strategy. So many options. Most course architecture nimwits would knock it for having wide fairways, no trees, not enough waterfalls, and any other host of artificial detraction. It amazes me how people can love the game of golf so much and yet be so ignorant of good architecture. I wish the great classic courses would open their doors to the non-wealthy, unconnected golfer and let them see what they are missing. If your favorite courses are designed by Fazio or Nicklaus, you simply haven't been exposed to the true essence of course architecture and the game itself, for that matter. Golf has become too much about TPC style courses, which for the most part, is quite the antithesis of what the forefathers of the game intended for the grounds on which we play on.

If you ever get out to the Phoenix area, go play Talking Stick (especially the North Course). That is a great entry level Coore/Crenshaw course with tons of good architecture and it's open to the public.

-40-

Callaway Epic 9* Fujikura VC 6.2 X
3-wood Callaway XR Aldila Rip B 70 X
Hybrid Callaway Big Bertha Aldila RIP a X
4-PW Callaway Apex Pro DG X-100
Wedges Callaway MD Forged 52, 56, PM 64
Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 009 @T

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/990289-witb-forty/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've played Talking Stick once. I didn't come away in awe, but based on your insightful comments, I'll try it again this year. I have played wekopa Cholla, not quite as often as Saguaro, but Cholla is starting to grow on me. That weird par 5 8th hole right angle dog leg right is a sore thumb for me tho. But Cholla has some really good par 4s. Maybe it is growing on me because I got a birdie on 16 last time out!

Takling Stick North is not so remarkable for what it is, but rather what it is not... It stands as a true paradigm shift away from the standard resort-style courses built in the Phoenix area during the golf boom of the 90's and early 00's. Instead of moving millions of cubic yards of earth and creating an abundance of primarily visual elements that are simply aesthetic features that have no golf value, TSN is a true minimalist design with a primary focus of interesting and fun to play GOLF. Built on dead flat property without any foothill elevation changes, or scenic mountain boulder outcroppings, no particularly great views or lush desert native, TSN is indeed UNDERWHELMING at first visit. After my first play, I shrugged and wondered what was the big deal. But this course has really grown on me and I like it more with each subsequent visit.

TSN however, offers a pure golf experience. It is a core golf course, not routed through any housing development, and the tees are located very close to the greens which means that it is ideal for walking. The playing corridors are quite expansive but the hazards are skillfully placed to encourage thought and promote strategy. In fact, you will find a few centerline bunkers, features that are virtually unheard of in modern golf designs. Frequent bunker placement 60-80 yards short of the green give visual deception and making shots seem harder or easier than they are. The course has a bit of a rustic feel with shaggy bunkers and native grasses and it just seems to fit within the elements and not forced onto the land. Don't be fooled by the par 70, the course is 7100+ yards from the back tees and rated 72.7 which means it offers a good challenge for the skilled golfer. On the other hand, the slope rating is 125 meaning it is not a brutally difficult course for the average golfer. This is the perfect mix in my view and makes for a FUN round of golf.

Another neat thing which isn't obvious at first, is how well C&C used bunkering and waste areas to blend the turf into the native areas without the sudden, visually harsh transition so common on desert courses where the green grass abruptly stops and the desert begins.

Of course, 9 out of 10 golfers will tell you they prefer the South course. It is a fine course as well, but in a more "traditional" vein, with non-native trees and water hazards. The South course is also a walkable, core routing, and also features some of the quirky elements C&C do so very well.

My only fault with Talking Stick is they like to maintain the green presentation and as such, tend to overwater. The typically soft conditions unfortunately interferes with the ability to play the course with all of the options that should be available. The other fault is the price structure aimed at the tourists, making it a bit too expensive to be everyday course for the local golfer.

Now, the Saguaro course at We-Ko-Pa. A more dramatic property with elevation changes and killer views. The Saguaro course gets my vote as the best public access golf course in the greater Phoenix area.

• 3 months later...

I pick the late, great Mike Strantz...He turned rock quarries into beautiful nightmares with Tobacco Road and Tot hill.

Ping G430 Max / G400 Max Drivers

Hybrids:  19* and 22* Ping G425

Irons:  Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Vokey SM9s

Putter:  Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #8

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

No Reese Jones yet? he has designed some of the best courses out there imho

Torrey Pines South Course
Atlanta Athletic Club
East Lake
Cog Hill
Medinah
Blue Top Ridge ( one of the top new courses in 2009 )
Hazeltine National Golf Club
Congressional
Baltusrol Golf Club
Bethpage State Park (black course)

fun greens to hit into because you have to use the green to get the ball close to the pin instead of going right at the pin

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* | Aldila 2KXV Blue 60-S
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid ‘19 20* | Project X Even Flow Blue 85 Stiff
Callaway Apex ‘19 4-Iron | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 5-9 | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway MackDaddy 4 Chrome 48*, 54*, 60* | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab Indianapolis | 33.75"
Callaway ChromeSoft X “MURPH”

I used to mow greens and plant shrubs (and play when I no one was looking) at Jupiter Hills (Florida) in the late '70's. George Fazio would come down and point with the toe of his golf shoe to show me exactly where he wanted things planted. That's when it was just the one course. Later, Tom Fazio came in and added the new courses. Jerry Lewis and Perry Como (if you remember them) used to play there fairly often. George offered to send me to agronomy school but I said thanks I didn't think so. Missed the ground floor on that one.

Nike driver that looks like a Christmas tree ornament
Wilson ProStaff 3 hybrid stock UST 
Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
Vokey 52 (old)
Acushnet Bullseye putter with Ping grip

[quote name='huskerpower_105' timestamp='1293431964' post='2860441']

Atlanta Athletic Club
East Lake
Cog Hill
Medinah
Congressional
Baltusrol Golf Club

fun greens to hit into because you have to use the green to get the ball close to the pin instead of going right at the pin
[/quote]

His name is Rees.

With the exception of Blue Top Ridge, none of the courses listed are original designs by Rees Jones. They are all remodel/redesigns.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1293461026' post='2860621']

Atlanta Athletic Club
East Lake
Cog Hill
Medinah
Congressional
Baltusrol Golf Club

[/quote]

His name is Rees.

With the exception of Blue Top Ridge, none of the courses listed are original designs by Rees Jones. They are all remodel/redesigns.
[/quote]
LOL. What I think I most admire is how Rees Jones takes the old courses designed by, say, A.W. Tillinghast, and really puts his mark on them; really getting rid of all those old-fashioned quirks and converting them into the Neo-U.S. Open/PGA Tour Style that we all love.

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' timestamp='1293465159' post='2860710']

Atlanta Athletic Club
East Lake
Cog Hill
Medinah
Congressional
Baltusrol Golf Club

[/quote]

His name is Rees.

[/quote]
LOL. What I think I most admire is how Rees Jones takes the old courses designed by, say, A.W. Tillinghast, and really puts his mark on them; really getting rid of all those old-fashioned quirks and converting them into the Neo-U.S. Open/PGA Tour Style that we all love.
[/quote]

I agree. I've not actually played any Rees Jones courses but from what i've seen and read they appear to be vastly superior to those of his Dad and his brother.

Atlanta Athletic Club
East Lake
Cog Hill
Medinah
Congressional
Baltusrol Golf Club

[/quote]

His name is Rees.

[/quote]
[/quote]

And for the exact same reason, many revile his work.

Not everyone loves the brutal slogs that characterize what US Open and PGA Tour setups have become. Personally, I prefer quirk and character and fun to play golf courses.

Atlanta Athletic Club
East Lake
Cog Hill
Medinah
Congressional
Baltusrol Golf Club

[/quote]

His name is Rees.

[/quote]
[/quote]
[b]I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY.[/b] I was being sarcastic. I am one who pretty much reviles Rees Jones' work in "modernizing" and "toughing" old courses so they can withstand the onslaught of today's pros. I believe he too often puts his "signature" on old course designs and the original playing charateristics are lost. (I had remarked in Post #10 that Rees Jones was not a favorite).

Where is the sarcasm emoticon when I need it?

Boy you can't go wrong with any of the course designers mentioned.......

While I have enjoyed so many golf courses by so many different designers....I do have some favorites

Mackenzie, Ross, Colt, Tillinghast are some of the old school favorites

Engh, Doak, Dye, Fazio, Weiskopf, Coore/Crenshaw are some of my favorite modern day designers...... and I certainly have loved many courses done by Jack, Arnie, Dan & Ellis Maples, RTJ & RTJ Jr