2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Walking Vs. Riding

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love walking while playing either with the clicgear or carrying, luckily here in the pnw all of the courses I play makes it very easy to do. Only time I use cart is if it's a fundraiser tourney where the insane waiting time and 5+ hour round makes it bearable.

I don't begrudge people who ride, I don't look down upon them nor do I have no issues with riders, I just want people to play ready golf like the examples of some of the riders who posted above.

• 3 weeks later...

Walk 6-days a week - 6500 and hilly
Back is much better since I got out of the cart
I now pay attention to playing my ball, rather than worrying about the cart, where to park it, where's the riders ball, etc.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I prefer to walk however some clubs/courses, do not permit walking during certain hours. Why? They want the cart revenue! Bottom line is the bottom line.
A great site for the benefits of walking is The Walking Golfer.
How many times do you play in a foursome and barely speak to the other 2 players in the other cart?
Obviously, tournament play may be different based upon your personality, however, a casual round, you have a great opportunity to talk to your playing partners/friends and catch up. Isn't that one of the reasons of a casual round!
Obviously, the health benefits of walking 5 miles can not be dismissed.
Just a my thoughts.
Enjoy the walk!

I prefer to walk whenever possible with one exception, playing with my Dad. The old man can't walk a 9 holes let alone 18 because of various surgeries. (Knee replacement/Fused Ankle) He knows I prefer to walk but on those days we have a ton of fun while in the cart. Poor guy just had another surgery and is on the shelf for season, so I'll be hoofing it all summer.

How is this for a kick in the b#lls???

Played in this years Massachusetts 4ball tournament. Two relatively tough courses to walk, but me and my partner ALWAYS walk when we play for real(scrambles/outings excluded).

After our round on day 1 (the tougher course to walk) we went into the grill room and there were some guys hanging around. Then we hear the pro exclaim..." there are the walkers!! Good for you guys!".

Day two.....not so nice..

As we are getting ready to play our first hole and be introduced, one of the "officials" rides up in his cart and says, "what are you guys doing?" We said what do you mean? he said, you NEED a cart! Didn't you read the rules?? And promptly radios in to have them drive a cart out to us.

The rules sheet said "we strongly suggest you take a cart". We said, there is NOTHING MANDATORY about "strongly suggesting", and he disagreed, and MADE us take a cart.

Unfortunately we couldn't put the hassel behind us and went +4 through 4 holes, and we ended up leaving the cart on the 5th tee box and walking. Turns out all of the other officials were confused as to why he made us take a cart.

Not sure this is the right place to post this but I couldn't figure out where and then I saw your post on carts and figured you would understand my pain!!

I walk at least 90% of the rounds that I play. The only exception is when I get beaten into doing a scramble or other charity type event where it is not allowed.....but I am not a fan of those things and avoid as often as possible...). It seems that when walking you get a better idea of the course, course management and exercise as an added bonus...

[quote name='h_baden' date='03 May 2010 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1272922124' post='2418226']
Riding?
You lazy $%@&*^#$...
[/quote]

Really? Like to see you try working a 12 hour daily shift in the cellar of a winery and then have enough 'juice' left to walk and carry a twilight round after...Didn't think so bub.

I love walking and carrying but as you can see from the above I am limited to doing it only if I get out on my one day off a week. Otherwise it's riding for me and I don't mind that one bit, kinda relax's my game :)

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

My schedule does usually not allow for full rounds of golf and I live just off the course. Hence, my golf cart. Without it, I would never be able to play minus a few weekend outings. Great facilitator for going out for 3 or 4 holes in the evening or being able to throw a dozen or so balls down to practice at random on the course. I used to walk most of the time. I do miss it, but not when it the trade-off would mean no golf. Fwiw, I would never think to judge someone for riding.

[quote name='youraway2' date='03 June 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1275601435' post='2484775']
Walk 6-days a week - 6500 and hilly
Back is much better since I got out of the cart
I now pay attention to playing my ball, rather than worrying about the cart, where to park it, where's the riders ball, etc.
[/quote]

6 days? Holy crap, are you retired?? I don't have the time or the funds (or the babysitting) for that. Sounds great! I wanna be you when I grow up...

I don't walk much these days because of joint issues, but I enjoyed it whenever I did. It's very relaxing; I feel like the only person in the world. Also, my score tends to bother me less. That said, I like the speed that the riding round affords me. Makes it easier to squeeze in a round. Not the best way to fully enjoy a round (looking at the clock, that is), but sometimes you take what you can get.

[quote name='ronstars' date='04 June 2010 - 07:50 AM' timestamp='1275663004' post='2485964']
[quote name='h_baden' date='03 May 2010 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1272922124' post='2418226']
Riding?
You lazy $%@&*^#$...
[/quote]

Really? Like to see you try working a 12 hour daily shift in the cellar of a winery and then have enough 'juice' left to walk and carry a twilight round after...Didn't think so bub.

I love walking and carrying but as you can see from the above I am limited to doing it only if I get out on my one day off a week. Otherwise it's riding for me and I don't mind that one bit, kinda relax's my game :)
[/quote]

After a day in the wine cellar, I have plenty of juice...

[quote name='h_baden' date='03 May 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1272922124' post='2418226']
Riding?
You lazy $%@&*^#$...
[/quote]

How about I give you the arthritis in my hip and you tell me how it feels after walking 18 and ill dare you to call me lazy for taking a cart.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

It would be nice to see more people walk than ride. I think in general, golfer's who walk are in much better health than golfer's who ride... and I'm talking about body shape wise.

cheesy.gif . That's funny Ramon, because "a number" of our regular walkers

in our group are big as houses. cheesy.gif

Depending on the day and how I feel (bad feet, bad back), I'll ride/walk

about 50/50.drinks.gif

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='04 June 2010 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1275685739' post='2486681']
[quote name='h_baden' date='03 May 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1272922124' post='2418226']
Riding?
You lazy $%@&*^#$...
[/quote]

How about I give you the arthritis in my hip and you tell me how it feels after walking 18 and ill dare you to call me lazy for taking a cart.
[/quote]

I guess I forgot the required 3 tongue-in-cheek emoticons :-J :-J :-J

In any case, I never meant to include people that truly cannot walk due to an ailment or physical restriction.

What gets me is that we perpetuate the usage of carts as the default (especially with younger people). All able people should walk while playing golf (as it is a sport..), and cart usage should be the accepted exception when necessary (physical ailments, injuries, and occasional hangover count).

Hit 'em straight.

[quote name='stevestrike' date='16 May 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1274069811' post='2446635']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='04 May 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1273001470'] Besides I don't call walking 7k yards real exercise; to prove my point note all the PGA tour guys that walk way more then 995 of the people that frequent this board and they still have bellies and man boobs. Phil and JD come to mind.
[/quote]
Come on, man that is terrible logic and you know it. Correlation does not imply causation! These guys play golf, and they are fat, therefore golf is not good exercise?

All that proves is those guys eat crap and consume more calories than they burn. It doesn't prove anything about the health benefits of walking 18.
[/quote]

No it's not good exercise... walking that much has positive affects on certain aspects of the body, but not any where nears enough to help someone loose weight if they have a gut, nor overtake what they eat.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Riding?

You lazy $%@&*^#$...

I guess I forgot the required 3 tongue-in-cheek emoticons :-J :-J :-J

In any case, I never meant to include people that truly cannot walk due to an ailment or physical restriction.

What gets me is that we perpetuate the usage of carts as the default (especially with younger people). All able people should walk while playing golf (as it is a sport..), and cart usage should be the accepted exception when necessary (physical ailments, injuries, and occasional hangover count).

Hit 'em straight.

No worries I am just finding this out myself so its a big letdown for me not to be able to walk albeit only during the winter when its not 115* outside. drinks.gif

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='04 June 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1275699464' post='2487048']
[quote name='stevestrike' date='16 May 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1274069811' post='2446635']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='04 May 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1273001470'] Besides I don't call walking 7k yards real exercise; to prove my point note all the PGA tour guys that walk way more then 995 of the people that frequent this board and they still have bellies and man boobs. Phil and JD come to mind.
[/quote]
Come on, man that is terrible logic and you know it. Correlation does not imply causation! These guys play golf, and they are fat, therefore golf is not good exercise?

All that proves is those guys eat crap and consume more calories than they burn. It doesn't prove anything about the health benefits of walking 18.
[/quote]

No it's not good exercise... walking that much has positive affects on certain aspects of the body, but not any where nears enough to help someone loose weight if they have a gut, nor overtake what they eat.
[/quote]

I disagree. Two years ago I started walking when I joined a club. Didn't change any other habits and I lost about 15 pounds in 6 months. It was enough to encourage me to get back into a workout routine and get much healthier.

I don't play golf for the excercise, I play it for the game itself. When I go excercise, I use the elipticals or treadmills.

Using a cart allows me to not worry about taking everything out of my bag to lighten the load, and also allows me to play much faster. I know everyone will say you can play just as quickly walking, but thats just simply not true for us.

I have absolutely zero problem with walking or people who prefer to walk, good for them. But why is it that so many walkers are so sanctimonious about it. You do it your way and I'll do it mine, but don't continue to tell me that golf should only be played on foot.

I walk all rounds with a Sun Mountain Speed Cart. What I find comical about these people that use these things, is the way they RACE past you as you're walking to your next shot. Then you watch them sit, pick their nose, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait until the group ahead has cleared. What's the rush? I always assume that the reason that they RACE ahead of walkers, is so that they can adjust their lie without anyone seeing them. "He who has the fastest golf cart, never has a bad lie." The next time you play with a couple of RACE CART Golfers, watch after everyone has hit. They will all RACE past the walkers, ripping up the turf, throwing gravel, garbage falling out of the cart, then slamming on the brakes with a 5 foot skid. Usually, the only people that don't do this are handicapped people. The people that the carts were intended for. Have you ever seen RACE CART golfers slowly ride along side a walker and chat? Very rare.:rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='lefty_70' date='16 May 2010 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1274068194' post='2446584']
Walking plus a 3 wheel push cart = effortless. Unless in a best ball turny or a super long course I will walk as its more enjoyable to see the course and get the exercise.
[/quote]

[size="3"]The perfect response.I walk with my Bagboy Express Auto.You get lots of exercise and No sore back!!!!.I would never carry again unless I had too.[/size]