Walking Vs. Riding

lets roll....
A recent thread that I read sparked my interest in this. I feel like riding a golf cart when playing golf is a sad way to experience a round of golf. Your not getting any exercise or even experiencing the course the way you do when you walk. Im not saying that its unacceptable if it is physically hard for someone to walk that long, etc. but if you CAN walk the course shouldn't you? Its less expensive too. I just don't see the glamour in carts.

discuss...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love walkin and carrying my bag.
But cause of work and family, I have less time and energy to golf. Usually I leave early to hit a round with my Sunday group. But when I get back my kid is ready to play .... and depending how much sleep and how hot the day was, sometimes I don't have the energy to keep up. So now I'm concider a push cart or riding once in a while.

I like to walk, and even better since buying the push cart. Some courses are impossible to walk due to tee/green distance, but I do it every chance I can. If any of you ever get the chance to go with a caddy, do it! Best way by far to play a course.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I have always preferred to walk, whether carrying or with my SunMountain Speedcart. Out of my regular rotation of courses however, only a couple allow it. I really think courses should encourage walking....then again, half the folks I get paired with as a single can hardly walk from the cart to the green (God forbid cart path only days!).

Well, to go against the grain of this board, I ride, almost all the time. The main reason is speed. I know everyone says carts don't speed up play, but they do for us. We usually drop one person off at his ball, go to the other, hit and then pick up the first person who is already walking towards the green. I've said in other posts, we usually play during the day, and then head back to work when done, so cutting even 1/2 time off our round is valuable. I don't know if its the area, but there really are very few who walk in this area. I actually do like to walk and carry when I'm on my own and don't have any time constraints, but that just doesn't happen very often.

Sounds like you actually ride "properly". On a wide open course, I can walk in about 2:25 and ride in about 2 flat. If everyone has their own cart riding should always be quicker.

That said, I will always chose to walk with my push cart. I like the exercise, it's easier than carrying, and it gives me time to think about the next shot as I approach it.

There was a study done........ interesting results [url="http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/a/golfphysical.htm"]here[/url]

[quote name='highergr0und' date='01 May 2010 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1272726098' post='2411807']
Sounds like you actually ride "properly".

I think that is the key, you do see a lot of groups that both players go to the first ball, go through the preshot routine, hit, watch, then get back in the cart, drive to the other ball and start all over again. Sometimes both carts go to each ball, then it gets really bad.

Ive always been of the inclination that golf is a sport that is meant to be played while walking. I actually hate using a cart and usually wont go to a course that requires the use of a cart.
I love the exercise and I love having a little time inbetween shots to do a little thinking and to just enjoy being out on the course.

I definitely prefer to walk and carry and feel that I play better. Riding always gets me out of sync. Time spent thinking about a partner's shot while waiting for him to play, time lost thinking about my shot as I walk up to the ball and even feeling rushed to play my shot while somebody else is waiting on me all affect my ability to focus on what I need to be doing.

Plus, i need the exercise! I keep thinking about getting a clic gear so I can carry beer more easily, but still stick to the carry bag.

I prefer to ride. The group I am with on Sundays all ride. Some can't walk and others don't want to. I just started golfing and I started with a cart, so to me it is natural. However, I am young and like to exercise so I have thought about walking when I go by myself during the week, but I am always on a time constraint and...

Another reason I prefer to ride is that I had to do a lot of ruck marches. 12 miles or so with a 70lb ruck and 30lbs of gear will take the fun out of walking 7,000 yards with 20lbs of equipment as it brings back memories of those long ruck marches.

Oh, the group that I go with use the cart "properly" as mentioned above

I prefer to walk. I like the steady pace and getting the exercise. I'd say I probably do 50/50.

Lots of the guys I play with ride, so I ride when I'm with them. They all own their carts, so it doesn't cost anything, but I always offer to buy them a beer or a sandwich or fill the jerry can up for them. I do appreciate that the revenue from cart rentals is important at the local course, so it's good to see foursomes with 2 rental carts, even if it makes it a little slower for me as I watch them drive all over the course.

I've always preferred walking, or at least since I got my push cart.

Unfortunately, I have had some serious knee problems in the last year that both cost me 3 months of ability to play at all, and strict Dr.'s orders not to walk 18 until they are satisfied with the progress of my rehab.

Though I seriously miss both the experience and excercise of walking, I am finding I'm not not worn out at all coming down 17 and 18, which happens occasionally when I walk.

Can't wait to get back to walking 18's, though. Walking 9's now and down from shooting mid 40's right after my return to mid 30's now on my local par 33 executive course.

If you are playing a very hilly course, especially a long hilly course, on a summer day with a lot of humidity and 90+ degree temperature in the summer, a cart is not a bad option.

I do agree, waking does something to golf, it enhances it in many ways that brings a peace to the game after every shot, whether good or bad, that you just can't experience with a cart. But on a day where it's so hot that you literally are burning your eyes with sweat, it sucks to walk, and it makes for a very wet, disgusting feeling after the first 4 or 5 holes. ;)

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

If you are playing a very hilly course, especially a long hilly course, on a summer day with a lot of humidity and 90+ degree temperature in the summer, a cart is not a bad option.

I do agree, waking does something to golf, it enhances it in many ways that brings a peace to the game after every shot, whether good or bad, that you just can't experience with a cart. But on a day where it's so hot that you literally are burning your eyes with sweat, it sucks to walk, and it makes for a very wet, disgusting feeling after the first 4 or 5 holes. wink.gif

I agree with the above. I walk most of the time but use a cart when it is mandatory or on those hot humid days playing a tough walking course. Walking and playing golf seem to go together, there is a peaceful time when walking between shots, the same cannot be said for driving a cart.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I walk and carry probably 95% of the time. I'll only take a cart if it's raining, over 90 degrees in temperature with high humidity, or if the course forces you to ride. Although I usually avoid such courses if possible.

I know the day will come when my back won't let me carry a bag anymore, so I'll just switch to a pullcart at that time. Fortunately my club allows them, and many use them.

When I first started playing back in the '70's, I was in a leaque and everyone rode. We only played once every two weeks. I just got use to that and never cared for walking (lazy), especially in the hot summer.
However, I am playing at least twice a week now and bought a Clicgear last year. My intentions are to walk more to save money and to get some exercise. I agree that walking helps slow your game down (in a positive way) so you don't rush. You also get to think of your next shot while walking to your ball. It also gives you a chance to "smell the roses".

But I have a bad back and sometimes I start hurting after about 12 holes. If it's hurting enough, it will effect my game. Walking might help strengthen my back whereas I may be able to get through a round without pain, but only time will tell.

I generally prefer to walk and carry. However, I was recently in Taiwan for a month for business and dragged my clubs along. I managed to get out to a wonderful tropical course up in the mountains east of Taichung. The greens fee included a four-seat cart that holds four sets of clubs plus a caddy to drive the cart. I could walk, ride, whatever. The caddy would, for the group as a whole, provide distances, clean clubs, and deliver clubs from the cart to wherever my ball ended up. ;-) Of course, you had to speak to her in Chinese for any effective communication.

I've gotta say, walking a course this way was absolutely perfect. I suppose a caddy who knows you and you use all the time would be better, but this wasn't half bad.

I always walk and carry when I can. I do play with a few groups that ride and I will even walk along with them sometimes. I do occasionally ride and there are a lot of courses now days that are not walker friendly at all. On a course with normal distances between tees I don't think that a walking group is much slower than a cart group. I would guess anywhere from 0 - 10 minutes slower.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash 11 Wood 25* - PX Evenflow S

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

This thread is interesting. I never walk. In fact, its rare that I see walkers on the courses where I live...muni or private. As a teenager I walked almost exclusively. Now at 43 I couldnt tell you the last time I walked a round. Ive recently been considering a push cart so I can walk every now and then. I certainly dont think its some kind of disgrace to the game or ruining my golf experience by riding in a cart.

I'm of the minority I think in that I prefer the cart. Particularly if others in my group have one. I love the game but I'm not a traditionalist. I'm in relatively good shape but I don't like feeling exhausted after my round. Especially not after a frustrating round. Nevertheless, I never feel rushed and enjoy the nature and views of golf just the same as walking.

The one problem I found did have is on the occasions (at some courses) where I get a late tee time and I have to return the cart before by a certain time. Sometimes I can't finish my round.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

[quote name='leftywitt' date='30 April 2010 - 12:51 PM' timestamp='1272653498' post='2410404']
A recent thread that I read sparked my interest in this. I feel like riding a golf cart when playing golf is a sad way to experience a round of golf. Your not getting any exercise or even experiencing the course the way you do when you walk. Im not saying that its unacceptable if it is physically hard for someone to walk that long, etc. but if you CAN walk the course shouldn't you? Its less expensive too. I just don't see the glamour in carts.

discuss...
[/quote]

First lets start with the game skills. Each of us plays the game differently; in turn skill or lack there of can influence what's taken in while playing. Saying people should walk is IMO wrong. Because of game differences when I ride I could be taking in considerably more of my surrounding then someone walking.

For example, many people are so focused on trying to accomplish something with their game, they don't and some can't take in their surrounding for fear of something else happening. I can ride in a cart and still take in how firm or soft the turf is, which way the fairway grain runs, where run off sections are, and notice the breeze that's influencing tree tops on one side of the fairway and how the breeze is traveling in a different direction on the other side of the fairway. Some people miss the grain of turf under their ball because it takes all their abilities to just hit the ball, I don't.

You are right, there's no glamor in riding carts; and walking is less costly presuming you live in an area where "cost" and "walking" go hand and hand. Most public upscale/resort courses in five states that I frequent don't allow walking till later in the day. That's when more beginners show up and kids are on the course too; making play very slow at times. I also have a fun really fast (40mph) sexy street legal cart with all the comforts of a car too. In other words saving money and getting exercise through golf isn't needed for me. Besides I don't call walking 7k yards real exercise; to prove my point note all the PGA tour guys that walk way more then 995 of the people that frequent this board and they still have bellies and man boobs. Phil and JD come to mind.

Yes, I walk as often as courses allow. Some times I carry other times use a great push cart. It's for all those reasons I don't purposely differentiate myself from what others might or might choose to do for one reason or another. To each their own choices.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='04 May 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1273001470'] Besides I don't call walking 7k yards real exercise; to prove my point note all the PGA tour guys that walk way more then 995 of the people that frequent this board and they still have bellies and man boobs. Phil and JD come to mind.
[/quote]
Come on, man that is terrible logic and you know it. Correlation does not imply causation! These guys play golf, and they are fat, therefore golf is not good exercise?

All that proves is those guys eat crap and consume more calories than they burn. It doesn't prove anything about the health benefits of walking 18.