2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Is carrying clubs bad for your back?

I'm posting in this section hopefully to hear from some experienced golfers. I'm 31 and I like to carry my clubs, I don't like to ride much. Oddly enough, carrying my clubs seems easier than using a push or pull cart. I've heard carrying clubs is hard on your back, is this true? Is it better in the long run to use a push cart or pull cart?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't carry my bag for 18 without suffering back pain, but then I am carrying a back injury already. Can't use a pull cart either for the same reason. I don't feel any effects from using a push cart and that is my chosen way to play.

The two oldest walkers in my regular groups both carry and say they prefer it to a cart.

I wished that I had not carried anything if I didn't have to so I wouldn't be paying the price for it now when I'm older 55+. Two spine surgeries and shoulder problems after being athletic and a physical "go getter" all my life.

I now realize the goal in life is to conserve body quality when young so there's more quality of life later in life. The axiom, "no pain no gain" is a myth. Because it doesn't hurt now does not relate to hurting later.

Hope this helps.

Tough question to answer. I am 54+ and tried carrying last year (to save money). I already have a bad back and found that carrying on a hilly course was easier than pushing a cart. Pushing a cart up a steep hill is no fun. But carrying with my bad back is no fun either.

I admit that I am out of shape but the more I walk (push cart) the stronger I am getting. So after a couple more months I will try and carry again to see what happens.

Everyone is an individual so it's tough to say what's right for you. I have seen, many times, 80 year old men CARRYING for 18 hole on a 6200 yard course, with no problem. But as some posters say 'it may not hurt you now, but wait 10 years'. This could be true. Hard to know.

Me personally, I may look into an electric cart.

I only walk and I always used to carry my bag. I stopped carrying and use a push cart now. I have a hip problem, and by the end of 18 it was more sore then if I wasn't carrying. I'm positive it would have degraded the condition of my hip faster then if I wasn't carrying. One thing I liked about carrying was it actually felt like it improved my posture. A properly fitted double strap made it quite comfortable.

I think if you are injury free then carrying is not going to cause you any problems. As for long term affects, I think this is worrying too much. Playing sports in general is hard on the body. Look at the golf swing. This is an extremely unnatural motion for the body. I think if you try to stay healthy and use good posture carrying is not going to be an issue. Golfing itself is going to have many more long term affects then carrying a bag. Athletes know they are going to have injuries and possibly long term affects from playing sports, but they still play anyways. Use your own judgment. If you are comfortable carrying and aren't finding that your body is disagreeing in anyway then I say go for it.

It shouldn't be bad for your back if you adjust the straps properly and carry the bag correctly at all times. I see a lot of guys carrying with shoulders slumped forward and a weird rounded back position and/or just using a single strap here and there. Get the clubs' weight properly set and you should be in good shape. Minimizing what's in your bag will work wonders too. When I walked a lot, it was usually with 12 clubs, 6 balls, a few tees, and a bottle of water. It's crazy how much crap gets thrown into the bag over time.

I still prefer my push cart to carrying though. I just end up playing better the last few holes. I'm not in fantastic shape, but not bad either. The only annoying thing with a cart is having to go around some obstacles I could walk the bag through.

I'm 51 and have some history of lower back stiffness. I've had this off and on for 20 years, although it actually is getting better with time as I stretch and exercise smarter these days. I think the back issues are probably from lots of football, wrestling, and weight lifting in my younger years.

I ride carts 90% of the time, usually because it is required for courses that I play. I have a big SMC-130 cart bag that holds everything you can imagine.

But when I can, I always walk, and carry a very lightweight ogio bag with a great dual strap system. It feels like I am literally carrying almost nothing. I can go all day with this bag on my back with no discomfort or strain whatsoever. I've got to believe that walking 4-5 miles for 18 holes, has got to be much better than sitting in a cart, since we all do too much sitting as it is. In terms of comparing this to a push cart, I have no idea, since I never had one and have no desire to get one.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk to any back doc: Carrying ANYTHING is worse than not carrying, people's preferences notwithstanding.

After reading a recent article showing that carrying and pushing a cart burn almost exactly the same calories, I stopped feeling guilty about pushing my 3-wheeler around. Now my back doesn't hurt as much after a round, and I still get my exercise whilst playing my favorite game.

Ever see a pro carrying his clubs? ;-)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

after the 1st as the last time i carried my bag for full 18s when i was 24, i quit carry them 4ever~~ it was killing my shoulder......

i perfer walking with my gf with the pull carts.....

but sooner once she falls with golf, i will be forced to pull 2 pull carts at same time....maybe that will be the time i go for power cart......

I would think that back injuries would normally be caused by high impact or high torque stress. Carrying a 30 pound weight on and off would in my humble opinion not cause enough of a stress to induce an injury, provided there was none to start with. In fact, I think it would contribute in strenghtening the core back and abdominal muscles, something that will help slow down osteoarthritis.
I would thus think that if you have pain while carrying, then stop and use a push cart. But if you can carry without pain, than do it as it may be benificial for you.

I carried for years. For me, the issue was not so much the actual carrying of the bag.

It was the lifting, twisting, picking up, putting down motions that cause me back stress.

I still prefer to walk. I just got off the course an hour ago and walked it with my Sun Mountain 3 wheeler. No back stress anymore, plus I roll around with a full arsenal of clubs and a couple of waters. Wieght is much less of an issue when ya got wheels.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I'm similar to English Bob, in that I've already had back injuries, including a car wreck about 10 years ago. Its actually easier for me to carry a bag then it is to use a 3wheel trolley.

Although, I had foot surgery in '07 and walking 18 with a bag on my shoulder, tends to wear the feet down. By the 14th or 15th, they're usually talking to me pretty good.

I also agree with GoBucky that walking makes you stronger. I've walked more in the last 1 1/2 years that I ever had, and it gets easier every time.

To the thread starter, if you enjoy walking, but the carrying/push/pulling gets to you--save up and get one of those remote/auto trolleys. They can be pricey, but you can also find some good deals on them.

Carrying your golf bag is hard on your back no matter what anybody says. Think about it. Lugging around 20+pounds and putting it on your back for 18 holes puts a lot of pressure on the discs in your back and compresses it. Do this enough times and you might injure yourself with a slipped or herniated disc(s). It's better to get yourself a push or pull cart. If you want to strengthen your back, then get in the gym and start doing pull ups, pull downs, rows and dead lifts.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='pinhigh71' date='17 May 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1274078793' post='2446780']
And walking is bad for your knees. And swinging is bad for your back. And reaching down to pick up your tee is...

Might as well stay home.
[/quote]

And the air quality in metro areas is so bad...I rarely make it out of my oxygen tent.

But seriously, if you get a good quality bag and maintain a good posture, carrying shouldn't be too much of an issue. Modern bags are lighter and distribute their weight better than older ones (setting the straps correctly...so that the bag is as high and level as possible is important).

[quote name='pinhigh71' date='17 May 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1274078793' post='2446780']
And walking is bad for your knees. And swinging is bad for your back. And reaching down to pick up your tee is...

Might as well stay home.
[/quote]

Yeah no kidding. Better play it safe and just stay on the couch. And you certainly don't want to have sex because that puts strain on your back.

Is it any surprise that we have become a nation of out-of-shape blobs?

[quote name='DLiver' date='17 May 2010 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1274094267' post='2446854']

Might as well stay home.
[/quote]

Yeah no kidding. Better play it safe and just stay on the couch. And you certainly don't want to have sex because that puts strain on your back.

Is it any surprise that we have become a nation of out-of-shape blobs?

[/quote]

Funny you say that. I know your not making a direct reference to me, but I'm am a very fit athlete and who used to do bbing shows in the past and played golf and football in highschool. Bro, I'm in the gym 3 days a week lifting weights and 5 days I'm on the elliptical doing HIIT cardio or playing basketball. Carrying a heavy golf bag will put strain on your discs over time. That is a fact. That is why I suggested the pull/push cart.

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

I try to walk whenever I can, but regardless of how fit you are, carrying a heavy golf bag can only be detrimental to your back. Personally, I never liked using push/pull carts, so I went out and got the best shoes for my feet, switched to a Titleist Ultralightweight, carry the bare minimum I need for a round in my bag, and make sure I'm not walking out on the course with a hunched over posture like 80% of the golfers I see walking.

If you would prefer to walk more than ride than eliminate the "heavy" golf bag and do what one of the previous posters suggested and that is cut down on the number of clubs, balls, tees, rain gear, etc and get a lightweight bag. That would help in alleviating some of the stress put on the back. There are some nice 4 and under golf bags nowadays along with Sunday stand bags that very light.

[quote name='phizzy30' date='17 May 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1274111691' post='2447365']

Funny you say that. I know your not making a direct reference to me, but I'm am a very fit athlete and who used to do bbing shows in the past and played golf and football in highschool. Bro, I'm in the gym 3 days a week lifting weights and 5 days I'm on the elliptical doing HIIT cardio or playing basketball. Carrying a heavy golf bag will put strain on your discs over time. That is a fact. That is why I suggested the pull/push cart.
[/quote]

Some would say lifting heavy weights 3 times a week is bad for your body. I feel better after carrying my clubs than slouching around in a golf cart. Just like you probably feel better after hitting the gym rather than veging on the couch all day.

[quote name='pinhigh71' date='17 May 2010 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1274123786' post='2447872']
[quote name='phizzy30' date='17 May 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1274111691' post='2447365']
[/quote]

Some would say lifting heavy weights 3 times a week is bad for your body. I feel better after carrying my clubs than slouching around in a golf cart. Just like you probably feel better after hitting the gym rather than veging on the couch all day.
[/quote]

I do feel better after hitting the weights then sitting at home watching tv on the couch all day. What I was getting at was that carrying a heavy bag will eventually wear down your discs over a long period of time like lifting heavy weights constantly over a long period of time. I have ruptured discs from squating 600 pounds and have strained my pec numerous times from maxing out at 500 pound bench presses in the past. Nowadays, I lift relatively medium to light weights for me for golf.