2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best Golf Clubs in SE PA

hummel

I am thinking about joining a golf club in SE PA around Philly and wanted to get some opiniohns on the best reasonable clubs in the Philly area in terms of price and quality. Anything too expensive would be out of my budget (i.e. Philly Cricket, Philly Country, ACE Club) but wanted to know what you guys think of the other area clubs....Talamore, LuLu, Plymouth and any others.........

Taylormade SIM2 with Ventus Blue 6s

Ping G425 3 Wood with Rogue White

Ping G425 Hybrid 19* with Rogue Black

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour with DG 120s 4-PW

Vokey SM8 50* and 54*, Taylormade Hi Toe 60* with KBS Hi-Rev

Alternate between Byron Morgan DH89 or Taylormade Spider X

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LuLu and Talamore are both excellent. Talamore is a very tough track, and I believe they hold some amateur championships there.

Plymouth is a nice club if you just want to go out and play all day. I live in Norristown and work at the Giant in Plymouth Meeting, so I go by the course everyday. It's always in good condition, never seems overly crowded and it looks like a nice, relaxing, fun course. It has both challenging and forgiving holes, and isn't overly long (just under 6600 yards from the tips I believe).

I always wonder if you can get on there without being a member, it looks like a course I'd really like to play. :)

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

I also forgot to say, that with a membership to Talamore, you also get a club membership to the Talamore Resort Country Club in Pinehurst, NC as well as Applecross, which is a Nicklaus designed course in Philadelphia.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

• 1 month later...

No, I haven't really looked there because I have always through they are more expensive than the other options I was looking at. It is a great course though, do you know how they compare to LuLu and Plymouth in terms of initiation and dues?

Taylormade SIM2 with Ventus Blue 6s

Ping G425 3 Wood with Rogue White

Ping G425 Hybrid 19* with Rogue Black

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour with DG 120s 4-PW

Vokey SM8 50* and 54*, Taylormade Hi Toe 60* with KBS Hi-Rev

Alternate between Byron Morgan DH89 or Taylormade Spider X

Rumor is LuLu is pretty cheap at this point. Unfortunately, like most things you get what you pay for.
You will not feel very exclusive at Talamore with the member for a day program and such, almost seems semi-private.
I am a member at Commonwealth National in Horsham and love it, if I were ever going to leave it would be for Philly Cricket.
They recently dropped their bond price, still expensive but more reasonable.
Not too many places can touch our 74.8/154 rating from the tips though.

I don't live in SE PA (SC PA), but I have two friends that are members at Sunnybrook CC, which I think is a Ross course. I played it earlier this spring and it was a very enjoyable layout.

I had heard that they were running a membership special, don't know what the current status is. Beautiful remodeled clubhouse with a very nice veranda.

Whitemarsh is a great club. In the spring it gets a bit soggy, but still, awesome track. Plymouth is fun, reasonable, well kept and affordable, but not very difficult. I work at the giant about a mile down and pass it all the time. It's a place I'd love to join just because of price plus proximity.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='bob86gn' date='07 July 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1278555508' post='2561524']
Rumor is LuLu is pretty cheap at this point. Unfortunately, like most things you get what you pay for.
You will not feel very exclusive at Talamore with the member for a day program and such, almost seems semi-private.
I am a member at Commonwealth National in Horsham and love it, if I were ever going to leave it would be for Philly Cricket.
[/quote]

I played LuLu two months ago. Nice course and is in very good shape so I have no idea where your comment is coming from. The greens were excellent.

I've also played Plymouth before. Decent place but wouldn't be my first choice.

[quote name='bob86gn' date='07 July 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1278555508' post='2561524']
[/quote]

I have to agree on LuLu. I play two outings there every year and there are some rough spots on the course, mainly the greens which are normally pretty bumpy.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob is correct, Lu Lu is having financial difficulties. But you can join there for a great deal now, especially if you are under 40. I would choose this over Talamore (don't like the style of membership / ownership) or Plymouth (don't like the layout, too quirky with a couple holes that I just hate). North Hills is another good option in this price range.

There are lots of good options in the area right now, clubs are really competing for younger members. Now is a GREAT time to join a club, you will never ever want to go back to playing public golf.

[quote name='oreilly77' timestamp='1278637394' post='2563753']
I have relatives whom are members at Huntington Valley. I have no idea of the cost but it is an extremley difficult course that is always in immaculate condition. Plus they have 3 9's so it's never overly crowded.
[/quote]

Now wouldn't be the time to look at HV. Two of the nines are closed due to disease until September. Also, unless you know people who are members it's not a great option as it will be tough to find games.

I agree with Bob about Talamore and Lulu. I'm personally not a fan of the golf course at Plymouth.

Commonwealth is a very good option and is one of the best players' clubs in the area assuming you have the cash to drop on a bond.

Blue Bell has one of the best deals going right now. I sent you a PM, but I'm hosting a Wrx golf outing in 2 weeks if you are interested.

Played Jeffersonville today. I played horribly, but the course played beautifully. Best condition I've seen it in to date actually. Greens were rolling at about a 10 I'd say, didn't need a lot of spin to hold em, but everything was in great condition. I was impressed, especially since it has gotten a LOT of play this season.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1273983067' post='2444359']
LuLu and Talamore are both excellent. Talamore is a very tough track, and I believe they hold some amateur championships there.

Plymouth is a nice club if you just want to go out and play all day. I live in Norristown and work at the Giant in Plymouth Meeting, so I go by the course everyday. It's always in good condition, never seems overly crowded and it looks like a nice, relaxing, fun course. It has both challenging and forgiving holes, and isn't overly long (just under 6600 yards from the tips I believe).

I always wonder if you can get on there without being a member, it looks like a course I'd really like to play. :)
[/quote]
LOL. My wife does her grocery shopping at Giant and was just there today. What do you do there?

To the OP, I'm a member of one the old Philly clubs and if you want to drop me a PM, I'll share my candid thoughts. I've played most from PV/Merion to many others due to friends' invitations and Golf Association of Philadelphia tournamemts. There have been many threads about finding the "right club" (for both sides) and, in addition to cost, it comes down to where you feel most comfortable with the members. It IS a club, afterall. Obviously there are are all the other considerations-- quality of golf courses and practice areas, non-golf amenities (pool, tennis, squash, clubhouse, etc.), location, waiting list, quality of food, "prestige", family-oriented country club, golf only, or men only, etc. When my wife and I joined, the waiting list at some clubs was an important consideration. Some people, I guess,join one club while waiting to get into another. This may not be as much of an issue these days. There have been "deals" available during the down economy but I don't know what is available currently. Clearly the "better" clubs tend to suffer the least because demand remains high. Beware of those having financial difficulties.

I'm not a big fan of Lulu, Torresdale-Frankford and some other old courses. Some of these are too short and tight and I wouldn't want to play them all the time.

I stock Dairy. Usually have a hat and glasses, and you can tell I'm in college. I usually look disinterested and like I have a beer gut... because I am and do. ;)

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1280540224' post='2609282']
I stock Dairy. Usually have a hat and glasses, and you can tell I'm in college. I usually look disinterested and like I have a beer gut... because I am and do. ;)
[/quote]
Good, we'll now be looking for deals on milk, eggs, cheese and ice cream. Or maybe we can trade beer for dairy? Had a wide variety of summer jobs...provides motivation to stay in college.

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' timestamp='1280541009' post='2609307']
[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1280540224' post='2609282']
[/quote]
Good, we'll now be looking for deals on milk, eggs, cheese and ice cream. Or maybe we can trade beer for dairy? Had a wide variety of summer jobs...provides motivation to stay in college.
[/quote]

Well said. A lot of motivation.

I can give you dairy products for beer, but you are going to have to understand that that will only last as long as I can go without getting fired/arrested. :D

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='nickdamm' timestamp='1280322014' post='2603784']
Bob is correct, Lu Lu is having financial difficulties. But you can join there for a great deal now, especially if you are under 40. I would choose this over Talamore (don't like the style of membership / ownership) or Plymouth (don't like the layout, too quirky with a couple holes that I just hate). North Hills is another good option in this price range.

There are lots of good options in the area right now, clubs are really competing for younger members. Now is a GREAT time to join a club, you will never ever want to go back to playing public golf.
[/quote]

North Hills is a great option. I have played there. Course is always in great shape. Great membership and I think they are having a really great deal now. Join now and pay your dues from September through next December. So play for 15-16 months for 12 months dues. Really great deal for under 40. I know a few 30 somethings that just got it.

[quote name='mbrogan' timestamp='1280686372' post='2611495']

[/quote]

North Hills is a great option. I have played there. Course is always in great shape. Great membership and I think they are having a really great deal now. Join now and pay your dues from September through next December. So play for 15-16 months for 12 months dues. Really great deal for under 40. I know a few 30 somethings that just got it.
[/quote]

Have fun playing in 40 degree temps in the middle of winter.:D

[quote name='Evolved' timestamp='1280712464' post='2612236']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Assuming there is no snow on the ground, what's wrong with that? On any given Sunday morning in the winter we'll have 8-16 guys ready to play.

BTW, the deal that mbrogan mentioned is not an uncommon deal in the area. I know of at least a half dozen clubs that have a similar offering. Even though the dues are "free" for the winter, people still need to use their monthly food/beverage minimums so that, any any cart fees, are a bonus at the end of the season.

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1280765500' post='2613198']
[quote name='Evolved' timestamp='1280712464' post='2612236']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Assuming there is no snow on the ground, what's wrong with that? On any given Sunday morning in the winter we'll have 8-16 guys ready to play.

BTW, the deal that mbrogan mentioned is not an uncommon deal in the area. I know of at least a half dozen clubs that have a similar offering. Even though the dues are "free" for the winter, people still need to use their monthly food/beverage minimums so that, any any cart fees, are a bonus at the end of the season.
[/quote]

It's cold, that's what's wrong with it.

One of the clubs I worked at ran the same deal.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' timestamp='1280539871' post='2609269']
[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1273983067' post='2444359']

[/quote]
LOL. My wife does her grocery shopping at Giant and was just there today. What do you do there?

To the OP, I'm a member of one the old Philly clubs and if you want to drop me a PM, I'll share my candid thoughts. I've played most from PV/Merion to many others due to friends' invitations and Golf Association of Philadelphia tournamemts. There have been many threads about finding the "right club" (for both sides) and, in addition to cost, it comes down to where you feel most comfortable with the members. It IS a club, afterall. Obviously there are are all the other considerations-- quality of golf courses and practice areas, non-golf amenities (pool, tennis, squash, clubhouse, etc.), location, waiting list, quality of food, "prestige", family-oriented country club, golf only, or men only, etc. When my wife and I joined, the waiting list at some clubs was an important consideration. Some people, I guess,join one club while waiting to get into another. This may not be as much of an issue these days. There have been "deals" available during the down economy but I don't know what is available currently. Clearly the "better" clubs tend to suffer the least because demand remains high. Beware of those having financial difficulties.

I'm not a big fan of Lulu, Torresdale-Frankford and some other old courses. Some of these are too short and tight and I wouldn't want to play them all the time.
[/quote]

Just to add on to the sentiments above - make sure that your initiation bond is for everything you need, and not just for golf - I know my club requires one bond to join the club, and then there's a totally separate golf waiting list - when you make it to the top of that, you need to put another bond down to become a "golf member".

Back when we first joined the club (my current club), we were members for a good five years before we were able to become golf members (but me and my dad were members at Squires during the waiting, so it wasn't that big of a deal).

Oh, and I somewhat agree about Torresdale, but I play it a couple of times a season and it's always a treat - that being said, wouldn't want it to be my home course.