2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Help for an old slow swinger >>

Looking for a new 3 wood
I am looking for a 3 wood to replace my Sonartec 15* 03. I thought I might try a Callaway but which one would be best for my swing? I hit the Sonartec about 200 yds.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I want long as possible and a little higher trajectory than the Sonartec.

Open to all suggestions. TIA =) Maverick

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to use off of the deck or mostly off of the tee?

If you're a decent ball striker I think the shaft is going to be as or even more important than the head. What shaft is in the Sonar? flex?

Looking for new or used??

Sorry for all the ?'s but it makes it easier to make a recommendation.... :drinks:

Then do yourself a favor, and drop the 15 degree 3 wood, and go with 16 or 17 degree 4 wood. Don't look back..drinks.gif

http://www.armedforceslocator.com

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I currently use Apache MMC C.J. Choi shafts at a soft R or strong A depending on if it is to be cut down. I agree the shaft will be the key here but the Sonartecs are just too low a tradjectory. I still hit them a long way for me. I am looking for a higher tradjectory. I have tried the Sonartec in a 16 or 16.5, cannot remember but their center of gravity is too high.

The brand is not important and I do like small heads. Callaway always seems to make a good FW wood but brand is not important as preformance. It has to be a square face. From my experience carbon topped heads get up fast.

Sorry for not being more specific in my first post. =) maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 1 month later...

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1276542150' post='2508547']
I currently use Apache MMC C.J. Choi shafts at a soft R or strong A depending on if it is to be cut down. I agree the shaft will be the key here but the Sonartecs are just too low a tradjectory. I still hit them a long way for me. I am looking for a higher tradjectory. I have tried the Sonartec in a 16 or 16.5, cannot remember but their center of gravity is too high.

The brand is not important and I do like small heads. Callaway always seems to make a good FW wood but brand is not important as preformance. It has to be a square face. From my experience carbon topped heads get up fast.

Sorry for not being more specific in my first post. =) maverick
[/quote]

ft fusion 17 4 wood .. highest launching clubs i ever seen

I like expensive putters and stuff.......

I bought an FT-iz 3 wood in an 'A' flex. It felt very stiff to me compared to hitting one in a store. I called Callaway and they say it is 255CPM +/- 5CPM. That certainly does not fit in my flex catagory. I am putting in an NVS 'A' shaft in that 3 wood and see how it works out.

I found an old orange crush Apache shaft I had on a steelhead once and put it in the Sonartec 3.5, 16* head I had. Now I am hitting it really good, nice tradjectory for the courses I play. But I'll try the FT-iz and if it works I will have a choice of 3 woods. I hit the Sonartec about 200 yards off the deck and may have hit a few farther the last time I played.

I have an FT-iz driver and am working on a shaft for it also. For some reason I like these heads and they do preform.

Thanks for the advice and replies. =) maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I just switched to the Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 in A flex and the lighter shaft really helped.....also has a high launch. By the way, I switched to a Precept Lady IQ Plus golf ball and the combination of the new shaft and lower compression ball has added about 15-20 yards to my 3 wood. Hope this helps. My swing speed is between 75-80.

[quote name='jrjones60' timestamp='1280704379' post='2611966']
I just switched to the Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 in A flex and the lighter shaft really helped.....also has a high launch. By the way, I switched to a Precept Lady IQ Plus golf ball and the combination of the new shaft and lower compression ball has added about 15-20 yards to my 3 wood. Hope this helps. My swing speed is between 75-80.
[/quote]

I imagine my swing speed is close to yours. Thanks for the info on the Grafalloy. I am always looking for good shafts in my range. BTW, I have been using Lady Precepts for years. I haven't tried the IQ Plus but will. I hope the NVS shows up soon I want to try that combo out. =) maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Try the Fubuki 60 in light flex for your I-mix driver, I think you will like it. Callaway pre-owned currently has one for $69. For a 3 wood you could try the Ping G-15 15* in Soft R flex. I think you will like the Pro Launch shaft in the Callaway 3 wood but if you don't give the Harrison Mugen shaft a try.

Earl

As a somewhat slow swinger myself, driver SS 94 to 96...MPH I've ditched the 3 wood altogether and went with a TM Burner 5 Wood and haven't looked back. I hit a par 5 the other day from 210 and anything more than that I'm going to be laying up anyway. The 5w gets off the ground so much easier than a 3W and not much distance difference as the contact is much more consistent.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1280864224' post='2615885']
As a somewhat slow swinger myself, driver SS 94 to 96...MPH I've ditched the 3 wood altogether and went with a TM Burner 5 Wood and haven't looked back. I hit a par 5 the other day from 210 and anything more than that I'm going to be laying up anyway. The 5w gets off the ground so much easier than a 3W and not much distance difference as the contact is much more consistent.
[/quote]

I carry a 5 and 7 wood. It depends on the shot and my mood. lol If I think I need two shots to get to the green sometimes I will not use a 3 wood. I try to use good course management. I carry 14 clubs and at this time I am only weak in the three wood catagory but things are looking up. =) maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1280884737' post='2616615']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1280864224' post='2615885']
[/quote]

I carry a 5 and 7 wood. It depends on the shot and my mood. lol If I think I need two shots to get to the green sometimes I will not use a 3 wood. I try to use good course management. I carry 14 clubs and at this time I am only weak in the three wood catagory but things are looking up. =) maverick
[/quote]
Ahhh, I see then. I have been thinking of adding a 7W myself and may just do that over the winter.

Good luck in your search.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='unixgolf' timestamp='1281545499' post='2632529']
I use a G15 4w with success, the only thing I did with the stock shaft is to have it trimmed down 1/2 inch.
This club is money, the real deal for me.
[/quote]

The older Callaway would probably have been a good choice. But since I have the FT-iz 3 wood I put in a NVS 'A' shaft which is rather whippy. It works but I would rather have one more on the R side. A weak R or a strong A is what fits my swing. Of course we all know what is stamped on an OEM shaft can vary a lot. Even Callaway states there specs are +/- 5CPM which I believe is a half flex.

The FT-iz is a pain to re-shaft with the hosel/.350 sleeve. (I think these have a newer style that the older ones)

BTW I received my FT-iz 10* driver back from Callaway with a Voodoo 2 'A' shaft that is nice and firm; fits perfect.

It is hard to do this in the middle of a swing change but all seems to be working out OK plus my ball striking is improving every day. =) Maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1281834741' post='2638864']
Adams 9032Ti 18* 5 wood. As long as a steel faced 3 wood for me and way easier to hit off the deck. Comes with a Voodoo shaft which is decent.
[/quote]

I have a 19* Sonartec I have carried for about 6 years but thanks for the recommendation. =) Maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back to the Sonartec 16*. The NVS A is just too whippy in the FT-iz 3 wood head. When hit good there is no feel. When hit bad there is not much either. The Graffloy may be my next move. These are not that easy to re-shaft due to the weird hosel/insert with I think is new on the FT-iz this year.

The one I bought was for the FT-i and I had to modify it to work. The shaft in the Sonartec is perfect but I have already pulled it once and I may like it on the 16*, Sonartec 3.5 head.

I need to find a place where I can buy a shaft by CPM. I don't have the time or money to just buy a bunch of shafts to find the right one. OEM specs are obscene, + or - 5 CPM = a 10CPM range.

After a half century of playing golf you would think I could play this game really good. ;-) Maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='retfr8flyr' timestamp='1283834934' post='2682761']
Accra lists the CPM for all their shafts.

Earl
[/quote]

Thanks! I have used an Accra shaft with a Nakashima head and it was a very good driver. I really liked that shaft and have recommended it to many. I was not aware they would sell by CPM. :-) Maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"