2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

hard case for airplanes

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='the700level' timestamp='1281199980' post='2624499']
i'm flying out to myrtle beach come november, i need to start thinking about a travel case. i found this one for $25 on craigslist, should I be good to go?

[url="http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/1884677019.html"]http://philadelphia....1884677019.html[/url]
[/quote]

Looks great - just make sure your can fit it into your rental car. With TSA rules and regs - I'd put an extra strap around it (you can buy them at a travel store)..sometimes TSA doesnt' put things back together correctly and luggage pops open.

[quote name='playmuch' timestamp='1281596820' post='2634122']
i luv my hard case. nothing protects them better.
[/quote]

Actually a Club Glove Last Bag does, for how many times I've traveled, I've never had a problem with it. I don't understand why anyone would buy anything else, plus it includes a lifetime warranty, they're the best and there's not a close 2nd.

I used to rent a Datrek hard case from a local golf shop because I didn't travel much...but I ran into the same problem as others have described...they are big, bulky and can be hard to fit into a rental. If you have 2 people trying to do the same thing...forget it. At least with a soft case, you can take the clubs out and compress the case down to fit in a tight trunk. I always remember feeling like I was pulling a coffin on wheels...

Anyway, when I started to travel more (for work), I purchased the Club Glove bag (soft bag) and their stiff arm accessory and I've had no issues (thus far).

Looks like a good case, the tip to put an additional strap around it is solid advice. The buckles are about the only part likely to fail and put your clubs in jeopardy.

I've travelled with soft cases and hard cases, never got damage to my clubs with either, although I have had a soft case take a 20 inch or so gash down the side and lose a wheel - just dumb luck that my golf bag didn't get sliced as well. If you're traveling with a bunch of people, the soft case is definitely easier to pack for more room in the trunk. If you are solo or just two people in your rental car, it's really not that big of a deal to have a hard case, it's only an inch or two bigger than your golf bag. Toss it across the back seat if the trunk is too challenging. Then just leave it in the hotel room. It's not like you're really doing much more than a trip to the airport and from the airport where you have to deal with the case.

I've never really felt worried about my clubs in a hard case, I have felt that way with a soft with a soft case.

[quote name='idolo-2' timestamp='1281634974' post='2634733']
how soft are the 'soft' cases? i was eventually going to buy one, but the word soft scares me a bit..
[/quote]

They're basically a fairly heavy duty duffle bag that's shaped perfectly to fit a golf bag. The material's not unlike what you'd have for a soft side suitcase or a backpack. They don't have much structure other than a plate across the base to support the wheels. If you want you clubs to be safer, you would typically put a protector (stiff arm, sawed off hockey stick, etc.) in with your clubs that's a bit longer than the clubs to take the impact in case the bag is dropped on the top end. When I use a soft case, I typically tie a sweater around my clubheads to keep them padded and prevent them rattling about.

I think it basically comes down to:

Hard Case = VERY protective, very unlikely that clubs could be damaged, but a pain to deal with on occasion.
Soft Case = pretty good protection, easy to deal with.

I fly with a crappy datrek soft case that I won at a scramble a few years ago. Nothing wrong with a soft case if you take your time packing it. Use towels through the clubs to make the top the same diameter as the bottom to prevent pinching. Use a cut off hockey stick or buy one of those impact things made for it (name escapes me) that's just longer than your driver. That will take the brunt of the force if the bag is dropping top down, and that's the most likely "injury". I've never had an issue....

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' timestamp='1281638166' post='2634835']
[quote name='idolo-2' timestamp='1281634974' post='2634733']
how soft are the 'soft' cases? i was eventually going to buy one, but the word soft scares me a bit..
[/quote]

They're basically a fairly heavy duty duffle bag that's shaped perfectly to fit a golf bag. The material's not unlike what you'd have for a soft side suitcase or a backpack. They don't have much structure other than a plate across the base to support the wheels. If you want you clubs to be safer, you would typically put a protector (stiff arm, sawed off hockey stick, etc.) in with your clubs that's a bit longer than the clubs to take the impact in case the bag is dropped on the top end. When I use a soft case, I typically tie a sweater around my clubheads to keep them padded and prevent them rattling about.

I think it basically comes down to:

Hard Case = VERY protective, very unlikely that clubs could be damaged, but a pain to deal with on occasion.
Soft Case = pretty good protection, easy to deal with.
[/quote]

thanks! great overview

[quote name='canuck7' timestamp='1281579505' post='2633743']
Save up and buy a quality soft sided cover. It will be much more useful in the long run. The hard cases suck to travel with due to their size unless your driving in a pick up truck
[/quote]
You've got to put the seat down in the front and extend it from the back seat to the front, laying on top of the lowered front seat.

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1281664350' post='2635564']
Save up and buy a quality soft sided cover. It will be much more useful in the long run. The hard cases suck to travel with due to their size unless your driving in a pick up truck
[/quote]
You've got to put the seat down in the front and extend it from the back seat to the front, laying on top of the lowered front seat.
[/quote]

Precisely.

That's great if you're traveling solo and have a car that does that. Otherwise with a family or some cars - you have to go back to the rental car and ask them for a bigger car....the difference in price for 1 day is worth a club rental, or sending your clubs to/from via FedEx. :)

The Ogio Monster is REALLY good. Spacious, light, maneuverable and fits easily in most any trunk. Also folds to store when you reach your destination so you don't have a hollow cigar store Indian to trip over all week in your room.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I love my SKB Space Saver. The protection of a nice hard case, without having to worry about the hard case fitting in a rental car because it only takes up half the space. Only downside is it's a little tricky to pack until you get used to it, but I bungee and wrap my towels around my clubs and it goes in pretty quick, it would be even easier for someone who carries a lightweight carry bag instead of my monster Ogio Edge.

Though now I see they also make one for staff bags, hmmm.

Anyway, the SKB is definitely the way to go if you want a hard case without having to fit a full size hard case in the car all the time.

[quote name='freed0m' timestamp='1281717612' post='2636512']
I always check in the hard case & golf bag/clubs with the hotel and check just the golf bag/clubs out when I do go out and play, no sense having it in the hotel room when I'm not playing.
[/quote]

Totally disagree. Keep them under your control at all times. You never know how well your clubs are being cared for, or not cared for.

A couple of weeks ago I checked in at a famous, very upscale golf resort. The guy who unloads my car at valet parking offers to have my clubs taken down to club storage. I tell him sure.

A few hours later I come down to valet to get my car and my clubs are still sitting there! Anyone could have walked off with them, or at least helped themselves to my driver or putter (there was no cover on the bag since I drove to the resort).

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1281712022' post='2636349']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Precisely.

That's great if you're traveling solo and have a car that does that. Otherwise with a family or some cars - you have to go back to the rental car and ask them for a bigger car....the difference in price for 1 day is worth a club rental, or sending your clubs to/from via FedEx. :)
[/quote]
or...your lady friend can sit in back, right behind you. She can hold the clubs in place so they don't hit you when you make a right hand turn! :cheesy:

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1281754441' post='2637551']
[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1281712022' post='2636349']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Precisely.

[/quote]
or...your lady friend can sit in back, right behind you. She can hold the clubs in place so they don't hit you when you make a right hand turn! :cheesy:
[/quote]

If you would rather play golf, than play with a lady - be my guest. LOL

Get a removable head driver, take the head off, stick shaft in bag tip first. I also put my irons upside down in the bag so they don't beat on the wood shafts plus it puts the weight over the wheels of the carrier. We use a hard side (SKB) and a club glove bag, woods go in the hardside and the wife gets to drag the club glove burst proof.

Also consider with weight limits on bags the hard case gets up to weight limit QUICK.

A good soft case works great. E.g. not just the duffle bag...but the ones like the "lastbag/mizzy" ones that have ample amount of padding around the entire bag.

I've taken my mizuno soft case on at least 25 trips and it's only "just" starting to show wear.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

This topic seems to come up quite often and I always recommend a hard case. I used to work baggage for a major airline and you can't imagine the abuse clubs can be exposed to. A stiff arm in a soft case will prevent damage if the clubs are dropped vertically but, it doesn't offer protection from the 300 lbs of luggage piled on top of the clubs. The other thing to consider is most carriers will make you sign a limited release form exempting the airlines from paying you for any damage to clubs in a soft sided case.

I agree with your disagreement.. I always unpack and pack the clubs back into the SKB ATA golf case myself (I am very anal about my gears) and lock it up and take the key with me. No way I would trust any Joe's with my golf clubs :drinks:

[quote name='dalehead' timestamp='1281720972' post='2636613']
[quote name='freed0m' timestamp='1281717612' post='2636512']
I always check in the hard case & golf bag/clubs with the hotel and check just the golf bag/clubs out when I do go out and play, no sense having it in the hotel room when I'm not playing.
[/quote]

Totally disagree. Keep them under your control at all times. You never know how well your clubs are being cared for, or not cared for.

A couple of weeks ago I checked in at a famous, very upscale golf resort. The guy who unloads my car at valet parking offers to have my clubs taken down to club storage. I tell him sure.

A few hours later I come down to valet to get my car and my clubs are still sitting there! Anyone could have walked off with them, or at least helped themselves to my driver or putter (there was no cover on the bag since I drove to the resort).
[/quote]